- - - - -

Sony increased PS4 MSRP to $449. Will This change your mind?

#1 MrBee15   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   5 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

Good morning everyone,

Like many of you canucks out there, I've been checking the stock levels of PS4 on all the major Canadian retailers sites. Saturday morning I notice that the price is no longer $399, but $449.  A quick good search also reveals that Sony exclusive games are going up 69.99 and the controller to 64.99.  

Sony is using the current state of the Canadian dollar as grounds for the increase, but I call shenanigans. I know consoles and games cost Canadians more back in the day, but the CAN$ was trading at 65c until only a few years ago.  I will agree that the dollar "slipped" a bit recently but it's still trading at 90c, and it was trading at 95c when the console was released in November!

Going back to the original question of this post.  Will this sway you to the other side?  With the current titanfall bundle (which is actually available to pick up at a store) the systems are practically the same price now. 

Personally, I am going to be putting my PS4 purchase on hold as long as I can. I'm doing it mainly on principle at this point.  What do you guys think?

#2 QuagsireQing   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   207 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

QuagsireQing

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:57 PM

Doesn't affect me one way or the other; the price change makes perfect sense.  Until the system has a must-have game that I can't play on my current consoles, I don't need one.  I'm sure there'll be a price drop long before then.

#3 Boolah   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   41 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

I was waiting for a price drop anyway so I guess I might have to wait a bit longer until it hits the sweet spot for me to jump on it. I already have Titanfall on PC and only paid 40$ for it, so that really isn't a factor that would make me get an XB1. Buying a console at or near launch, before a price drop basically, has never really been an option in my mind since there are pretty much no games to play and when a price drop comes around all the games that I was interested in will be much cheaper. Unless there are some truly amazing exclusives on XB1 that aren't coming to PC, which honestly most do, I don't really have a reason to get an XB1 at all. 

#4 Vampire_Zio   Death Lord CAGiversary!   603 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

It would change my mind if I was looking to upgrade in the near future, but having become a thrifty gamer these past few years....I think I can wait until the PS4 and several of its games are reduced significantly in the upcoming months + years. I will probably wait for the Slim version of the PS4, if I ever return to consoles from the PC world. 

#5 Retro Deckades  

Retro Deckades

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Though I agree that it makes sense to raise the cost of the console as the Canadian dollar weakens, let's not forget that nobody did jack when the dollar was above parity. Did prices decrease when the dollar was trading at 1.04? Hell no!

#6 Socpens  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

Considering I was unsure when it was at $400, $450 is a guarantee that I will not pick it up.

#7 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8787 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

Canadian dollar is down 10% on the US dollar, makes sense. Still waiting for a killer game to hit the system AND a bundle. I don't mind paying $450, but I want a good game included or something.

#8 Naylord   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   265 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

That was fast; I'm really depressed right now.

#9 dergatron9000  

dergatron9000

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:46 PM

actually at an exchange of 10 cents lower on the american dollar it should be $440. they are MILKING TEN EXTRA DOLLARS!!!!! bastards.

#10 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8787 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

actually at an exchange of 10 cents lower on the american dollar it should be $440. they are MILKING TEN EXTRA DOLLARS!!!!! bastards.

Technically it's $444.19. Stealing $5.81 from us, those bastards! :D

http://www.xe.com/cu...From=USD&To=CAD

#11 denpanosekai  

denpanosekai

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

built a killer PC a couple weeks ago (i4770k + GTX770) so... I'll be fine for some time ;)

Still hitting the PS3 hard anyway.

#12 OmegaChaos   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1148 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

OmegaChaos

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

The only reason I'd have to buy a Ps4 right now is Kingdom Hearts III. But, with the system now at $449, I'm not going to bother for a long time. I still have many Ps3 games to play, and own a 3DS/Vita and Wii U as my next gen consoles.

So, I'll be fine for now.

#13 VetraX   In-game moralist CAGiversary!   766 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

I already have one, so it's of no consequence to me, but I feel for those that were holding out, especially now. I can't see the price dropping below $400 for maybe the next year and a half, now, unless it's black friday/boxing day.

#14 Hyunkel   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   168 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

None of the current or upcoming games justify the cost of the console for me. The same goes for XBone. Unless some incredible game(s) come along, I don't plan to buy one in the near future even if there is a price drop.

#15 matsam   Cooldude pts hunter CAGiversary!   658 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

Since I already have one, it makes me feel like I got a good deal, I guess!

#16 poxsc   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   203 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:35 AM

Doesn't bother me one bit.

#17 Socpens  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:49 AM

I already have one, so it's of no consequence to me, but I feel for those that were holding out, especially now. I can't see the price dropping below $400 for maybe the next year and a half, now, unless it's black friday/boxing day.

This is probably when I will pick mine up. It's a shame that either way I'll be cheated out of $50, but if there is a Destiny bundle by that time I won't mind shilling out extra. It only irks me that the US will not only get the best deals but now they have the best prices as well.

#18 KAPBAM   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   77 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:38 AM

built a killer PC a couple weeks ago (i4770k + GTX770) so... I'll be fine for some time ;)

Still hitting the PS3 hard anyway.

Built a lower spec'd but still awesome PC just in time for Titanfall myself. i5 4440 + 750 ti. Plays like a charm and puts my PS4's Twitch streaming capabilities to absolute shame :/ Thinking of selling it, I can potentially get more money for it now :P (Although I still have games on it left to play, damned pile of shame is growing into next gen now!)

If anybody cares, I'm streaming pretty much daily on my Twitch channel: bamcommagames. I usually play TF, but I'm also planning a run through levels 1 to 50 of AC4 multiplayer :)

#19 OmegaChaos   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1148 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

OmegaChaos

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:04 AM

Don't sell it. There will be games later on that will come out you'll have an interest in, and then you'll regret selling it.

#20 Sennyize   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   113 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Sennyize

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

Not a huge deal breaker for me, if I had to I'd still go with PS4 (Already have a PS+ sub with PS3 and not going to be paying two different subs, then again if I can afford a PS4 at that price I have money to burn).

I'm waiting for a good amount of games to come out on either console before I add another system to my collection, but at this point nothing really has me sold on any of the next gen consoles including Wii U (Though if I can grab a deluxe for about $150 I'd bite but I don't see that happening anytime soon)

#21 MrBee15   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   5 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

The one part I find frustrating is that I was ready to drop the $399 the past couple of weeks, if I could have found a console in a store. Having to spend more money for the same product is a bit of a let down.  

Plus, I wouldn't put it past Sony and the retailers to hold off on replenishing stocks until after the price hike.  Capitalism baby! haha.

#22 KAPBAM   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   77 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

Don't sell it. There will be games later on that will come out you'll have an interest in, and then you'll regret selling it.

Yea I had the same thought go through my head. If I were to sell it though, it's because I'm low on income these days. I would have every intention of buying one back in the near future, likely a bundle with Second Son or something. Anyway probably not, I really do want to play through the AC4 multiplayer.

#23 Princess Zelda   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1904 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Princess Zelda

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

I'm not impressed by the $50 price increase. PS4 has instantly been put into the currently not buying category. The first party games are usually what I buy a system for and beyond Naughty Dog games I just don't see anything else I want to play on the PS4. 

I have a Wii U and 3DS, with a lot of new games to play between those two and my backlog.  I really don't need a PS4 or Xbox One. In the future I'll most likely get a Halo Bundle Xbox One and play Forza, Gears, Titianfall & Quantum Break. 

#24 SCORP1367   Hardly Playing! CAGiversary!   65 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

SCORP1367

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

Definitely glad I picked it up at launch before the price hike, but honestly I barely play on the thing. Damn PS3 and PS+ are killing me! I just can't keep up!!

MGSV:GZ and infamous coming out soon, but I wouldn't call those must haves. I'd say just wait for Destiny or next uncharted.

#25 banksst   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   62 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

Just watch how the price stays at $450 when the canadian dollar passes the U.S. dollar

#26 JetEngineJesus   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   150 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

JetEngineJesus

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:27 AM

It'll be interesting to see if the XBone follows suit...
If I didn't have a PS4 already, I'd be pretty PO'ed. The Titanfall XBone bundle for $500 looks pretty good next to the $450 PS$ with, uh, that demo that tries to convince you to buy an Eye...?

#27 Jotamide   CAGadian CAGiversary!   249 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:29 AM

Yes in a way. I'm getting one once it hits the $250-300 mark. This will make it go down in price in a longer time.

#28 telepathy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1108 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:48 AM

Yeah, they are having problems keeping it on the shelves. I'm guessing this is their way of basically supergluing them to the display counters.

#29 Jogurt the Yogurt   YGRT CAGiversary!   544 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Jogurt the Yogurt

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

Going back to the original question of this post.  Will this sway you to the other side?  With the current titanfall bundle (which is actually available to pick up at a store) the systems are practically the same price now. 

What "other side"? Xbox? That's the same side. I have to admit, I've never really understood petty fanboyism / console wars / corporate brand loyalty. Both systems are good and play good games. I certainly intend to own both eventually.

As for the PS4, the price boost makes me glad I picked it up at launch. The price boost also makes sense given the state of the Canadian dollar at present, so I can't really complain about that. Sony is an international corporation after all, and a capitalist entity. They have profits to consider. The real question will be whether they continue adjusting the price if the Canadian dollar increases to parity again (an increase that doesn't appear likely, in the near future).

#30 saad77   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   215 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

yep, this has definitely put me off getting one until the price drops again. I was trying to save up for one, but with the games, system and accessories increasing, forget it. I have enough of a backlog on my PS3 and Vita to keep me busy for most of the year. If I come into some money where I could actually afford it no problem, then i'll pick one up. Until then, i'll pass.

They can raise their prices all they want to reflect the weak dollar, doesn't mean my wage is going to increase to be able to afford it.

I hate not playing all the new stuff when everyone else I know is, but, oh well. I figure by the time I do get one, all the games coming out now will be on PS Plus, or be really cheap.