Sony increased PS4 MSRP to $449. Will This change your mind?

canuckdealfinder

CAGiversary!
Good morning everyone,

Like many of you canucks out there, I've been checking the stock levels of PS4 on all the major Canadian retailers sites. Saturday morning I notice that the price is no longer $399, but $449.  A quick good search also reveals that Sony exclusive games are going up 69.99 and the controller to 64.99.  

Sony is using the current state of the Canadian dollar as grounds for the increase, but I call shenanigans. I know consoles and games cost Canadians more back in the day, but the CAN$ was trading at 65c until only a few years ago.  I will agree that the dollar "slipped" a bit recently but it's still trading at 90c, and it was trading at 95c when the console was released in November!

Going back to the original question of this post.  Will this sway you to the other side?  With the current titanfall bundle (which is actually available to pick up at a store) the systems are practically the same price now. 

Personally, I am going to be putting my PS4 purchase on hold as long as I can. I'm doing it mainly on principle at this point.  What do you guys think?

Doesn't affect me one way or the other; the price change makes perfect sense.  Until the system has a must-have game that I can't play on my current consoles, I don't need one.  I'm sure there'll be a price drop long before then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was waiting for a price drop anyway so I guess I might have to wait a bit longer until it hits the sweet spot for me to jump on it. I already have Titanfall on PC and only paid 40$ for it, so that really isn't a factor that would make me get an XB1. Buying a console at or near launch, before a price drop basically, has never really been an option in my mind since there are pretty much no games to play and when a price drop comes around all the games that I was interested in will be much cheaper. Unless there are some truly amazing exclusives on XB1 that aren't coming to PC, which honestly most do, I don't really have a reason to get an XB1 at all. 

It would change my mind if I was looking to upgrade in the near future, but having become a thrifty gamer these past few years....I think I can wait until the PS4 and several of its games are reduced significantly in the upcoming months + years. I will probably wait for the Slim version of the PS4, if I ever return to consoles from the PC world. 

Though I agree that it makes sense to raise the cost of the console as the Canadian dollar weakens, let's not forget that nobody did jack when the dollar was above parity. Did prices decrease when the dollar was trading at 1.04? Hell no!

Considering I was unsure when it was at $400, $450 is a guarantee that I will not pick it up.

Canadian dollar is down 10% on the US dollar, makes sense. Still waiting for a killer game to hit the system AND a bundle. I don't mind paying $450, but I want a good game included or something.

actually at an exchange of 10 cents lower on the american dollar it should be $440. they are MILKING TEN EXTRA DOLLARS!!!!! bastards.

built a killer PC a couple weeks ago (i4770k + GTX770) so... I'll be fine for some time ;)

Still hitting the PS3 hard anyway.

The only reason I'd have to buy a Ps4 right now is Kingdom Hearts III. But, with the system now at $449, I'm not going to bother for a long time. I still have many Ps3 games to play, and own a 3DS/Vita and Wii U as my next gen consoles.

So, I'll be fine for now.

I already have one, so it's of no consequence to me, but I feel for those that were holding out, especially now. I can't see the price dropping below $400 for maybe the next year and a half, now, unless it's black friday/boxing day.

None of the current or upcoming games justify the cost of the console for me. The same goes for XBone. Unless some incredible game(s) come along, I don't plan to buy one in the near future even if there is a price drop.

I already have one, so it's of no consequence to me, but I feel for those that were holding out, especially now. I can't see the price dropping below $400 for maybe the next year and a half, now, unless it's black friday/boxing day.
This is probably when I will pick mine up. It's a shame that either way I'll be cheated out of $50, but if there is a Destiny bundle by that time I won't mind shilling out extra. It only irks me that the US will not only get the best deals but now they have the best prices as well.

built a killer PC a couple weeks ago (i4770k + GTX770) so... I'll be fine for some time ;)

Still hitting the PS3 hard anyway.
Built a lower spec'd but still awesome PC just in time for Titanfall myself. i5 4440 + 750 ti. Plays like a charm and puts my PS4's Twitch streaming capabilities to absolute shame :/ Thinking of selling it, I can potentially get more money for it now :p (Although I still have games on it left to play, damned pile of shame is growing into next gen now!)

If anybody cares, I'm streaming pretty much daily on my Twitch channel: bamcommagames. I usually play TF, but I'm also planning a run through levels 1 to 50 of AC4 multiplayer :)

Don't sell it. There will be games later on that will come out you'll have an interest in, and then you'll regret selling it.

Not a huge deal breaker for me, if I had to I'd still go with PS4 (Already have a PS+ sub with PS3 and not going to be paying two different subs, then again if I can afford a PS4 at that price I have money to burn).

I'm waiting for a good amount of games to come out on either console before I add another system to my collection, but at this point nothing really has me sold on any of the next gen consoles including Wii U (Though if I can grab a deluxe for about $150 I'd bite but I don't see that happening anytime soon)

The one part I find frustrating is that I was ready to drop the $399 the past couple of weeks, if I could have found a console in a store. Having to spend more money for the same product is a bit of a let down.  

Plus, I wouldn't put it past Sony and the retailers to hold off on replenishing stocks until after the price hike.  Capitalism baby! haha.

Don't sell it. There will be games later on that will come out you'll have an interest in, and then you'll regret selling it.
Yea I had the same thought go through my head. If I were to sell it though, it's because I'm low on income these days. I would have every intention of buying one back in the near future, likely a bundle with Second Son or something. Anyway probably not, I really do want to play through the AC4 multiplayer.

I'm not impressed by the $50 price increase. PS4 has instantly been put into the currently not buying category. The first party games are usually what I buy a system for and beyond Naughty Dog games I just don't see anything else I want to play on the PS4. 

I have a Wii U and 3DS, with a lot of new games to play between those two and my backlog.  I really don't need a PS4 or Xbox One. In the future I'll most likely get a Halo Bundle Xbox One and play Forza, Gears, Titianfall & Quantum Break. 

Definitely glad I picked it up at launch before the price hike, but honestly I barely play on the thing. Damn PS3 and PS+ are killing me! I just can't keep up!!

MGSV:GZ and infamous coming out soon, but I wouldn't call those must haves. I'd say just wait for Destiny or next uncharted.

It'll be interesting to see if the XBone follows suit...
If I didn't have a PS4 already, I'd be pretty PO'ed. The Titanfall XBone bundle for $500 looks pretty good next to the $450 PS$ with, uh, that demo that tries to convince you to buy an Eye...?

Yeah, they are having problems keeping it on the shelves. I'm guessing this is their way of basically supergluing them to the display counters.

Going back to the original question of this post. Will this sway you to the other side? With the current titanfall bundle (which is actually available to pick up at a store) the systems are practically the same price now.
What "other side"? Xbox? That's the same side. I have to admit, I've never really understood petty fanboyism / console wars / corporate brand loyalty. Both systems are good and play good games. I certainly intend to own both eventually.

As for the PS4, the price boost makes me glad I picked it up at launch. The price boost also makes sense given the state of the Canadian dollar at present, so I can't really complain about that. Sony is an international corporation after all, and a capitalist entity. They have profits to consider. The real question will be whether they continue adjusting the price if the Canadian dollar increases to parity again (an increase that doesn't appear likely, in the near future).

yep, this has definitely put me off getting one until the price drops again. I was trying to save up for one, but with the games, system and accessories increasing, forget it. I have enough of a backlog on my PS3 and Vita to keep me busy for most of the year. If I come into some money where I could actually afford it no problem, then i'll pick one up. Until then, i'll pass.

They can raise their prices all they want to reflect the weak dollar, doesn't mean my wage is going to increase to be able to afford it.

I hate not playing all the new stuff when everyone else I know is, but, oh well. I figure by the time I do get one, all the games coming out now will be on PS Plus, or be really cheap.

It'll be interesting to see if the XBone follows suit...
If I didn't have a PS4 already, I'd be pretty PO'ed. The Titanfall XBone bundle for $500 looks pretty good next to the $450 PS$ with, uh, that demo that tries to convince you to buy an Eye...?
To be fair the upcoming PS4 bundle will likely include inFamous at MSRP, just like Titanfall on X1. Anyone planning to get a PS4 right now would be kinda foolish to do so pre-bundle release.

well if i was planning on buying one and just could never find a PS4 when i looked. this would hold me back yes.  But my original plan is i won't be buying PS4 till " at least 2015 "   and people look at me like i'm crazy and i say well i don't need a PS4 right now cause i still got a backlog for PS3 and since i got the PS3 for over $450 years ago i'm gonna ride it out for a couple more years to come.

but i still got lots more PS3 games i like to own and play i don't even have bought yet ! i'm good for this year and probably next. but when i saw it for $450 i thought ohh come on just PS4 ?  i read Sony said it was cause of Marketing related thing. but clearly it's cause of our Dollar.

i think Sony is gonna realize this is gonna bite them in the ass even more cause titanfall is free with the Xbox1 when people buy that bundle  and when more PS4's come out in stores and people who have it back ordered or layaway ( whatever ) if they are gonna be charged the new price then people are gonna sway to the other console cause at least you get a game with it, AND not only that but if Xbox1 stuff isn't going up in price for accessories and games as well, that may sway people to buy Xbox then PS4.  

again i think it's a mistake on Sony's part but let's see how long this rides out.

Also if this does last for quite sometime ( cause even if the Dollar is almost neck and neck then it can always drop soon after so it's not neck and neck but when it is neck and neck, Sony won't come running and putting down the price unless it stays steadily close to American Dollar which i don't see happening for some time IMO )

I was gonna build a decent PC for gaming and wait until X1 & PS4 are dirt cheap to buy them anyway. I don't want to collect any more, so Steam and GOG is where I'm migrating to. I've been both a PC and/or console gamer since I was born. I buy 50+ games a year including digital, only a half dozen or so full price games at or near launch.

Smart, cheap ass gamers like me, who still play games 20+ years on a daily basis need impatient people to buy these consoles and games at launch and their season passes and what not. If not, there`s no more video game industry, so you guys keep it up! Hell, if I was still a kid with money to burn I`d probably still be buying them at launch.

Why does CAG screw with my commas and apostrophes and stuff....only when I log into CAG does it dd this.

' É ````'.':``ÉÉ``:::: what are thes alien symbolsÉ....É is a quetions mark.

Why does CAG screw with my commas and apostrophes and stuff....only when I log into CAG does it dd this.

' É ````'.':``ÉÉ``:::: what are thes alien symbolsÉ....É is a quetions mark.
Your keyboard is in french mode for whatever reason. The ? mark placement on an english keyboard layout is where É is on a french keyboard layout. I don't presume to know whether you accidentally switched over, or if visiting this website forces your keyboard into french mode :p A good way to test this theory: try typing "Shift key (+) 6 key". This is where the ? is on a french keyboard. So if you get a ? then at least you'll have confirmation as to why ;)

And I agree with you on your game buying strategy. We have to buy some games new, otherwise they won't make those games anymore, but buying everything new is crazy (or for the rich). I just bought Towerfall with the PS+ launch discount. Will it be cheaper before I actually play it? Maybe. But I look at this as a game idea I findamentally love. So I'll show my support now, at a small discount :p

Great discussion guys. Lots of valid points.

At this point I think I'm just going to hold off on next-gen for awhile. I have a decent PC that can still play all the new games quite well. Also, as i'm sure most of you can appreciate, I have a ton of games from steam sales I haven't even touched.

The problems was last gen I was an Xbox guy (I preferred the controller) but the $499 to $399 price difference (and the new ps4 controller) really drew me towards getting a PS4. That is why the increase in price and the XB1 bundle made me start to think about going to MSFT instead.

Great discussion guys. Lots of valid points.

At this point I think I'm just going to hold off on next-gen for awhile. I have a decent PC that can still play all the new games quite well. Also, as i'm sure most of you can appreciate, I have a ton of games from steam sales I haven't even touched.

The problems was last gen I was an Xbox guy (I preferred the controller) but the $499 to $399 price difference (and the new ps4 controller) really drew me towards getting a PS4. That is why the increase in price and the XB1 bundle made me start to think about going to MSFT instead.
I think that PS+ should sell anybody on getting a PS4 over an Xboob. Not only is it cheaper to get a PS4, but comparing XBL Gold to PS+ is like comparing ramen noodles to a steak dinner. With XBL Gold you get a few extremely old games, but get to keep them forever (and I'm pretty sure they do not work on Xboob, only 360). With PS+ you get games as recent as 5 months old, but only keep them as long as you're a member.

I think if you save up and shell out $30 for the annual PS+ membership every Black Friday then that's an insane amount of value. Really, the only reason to go with Xbone is if you REALLY like Halo, Gears of War or Forza. And even regarding Halo, Bungie's Destiny will probably blow the Halo games clean out of the water. However, I will agree there is no real substitute for the fun of chainsawing people in Gears of War.

I too considered getting the Titanfall Xbone bundle. Somebody here posted a fantastic deal: the Titanfall Xbone bundle, after taxes and discounts for $497 or something similar. In comparison to the PS4, which is probably about the same price after taxes, it seems like a very good deal. It comes with a Kinect and everything. However, Sony has been very lazy with their attempts to bundle the PS4 to increase sales because they haven't needed to yet. I'm guessing soon there will be an inFamous or The Order bundle at $450 with the game included, and maybe an extra goodie. But MSFT are the ones trying to up their sales, I think Sony is fairly comfortable.

All this to say, you might want to bite the bullet on the Xbone now, but I think it's too early to make a decision on either one.

Another reason I'm considering Xbox One is I'll need just one Xbox Live account for myself and my sons can play online on their own account. PS4 I'm back to buying a separate online fee for their accounts which will add up to an extra $100 a year. 

Another reason I'm considering Xbox One is I'll need just one Xbox Live account for myself and my sons can play online on their own account. PS4 I'm back to buying a separate online fee for their accounts which will add up to an extra $100 a year.
Really? I'm pretty sure any sub account on a PS4 will receive the benefits of the main user, ie. if you have PS Plus on one PS4, every user on that PS4 will too. Granted, it wasn't like that for the PS3, but like I said, I'm sure they changed their policy last year for PS4 owners.

bread's done
Back