Puppet Master 1, 2, and 3 Box Set Blu Ray - $12.12 at Amazon.

The Puppet Master movies have a cult following. While they have some interesting ideas, they are also very weird movies. And these days they show their age.

That is a really good price for anyone interested. But keep in mind that this series is better known for its camp and the interesting design of its antagonists than it is for enduring quality. If you haven't seen the Puppet Master films already, don't go in expecting timeless horror classics.

Hmmmm ill have to think about this. Its tempting but I have the DVD set with more movies and a bonus disc.

Thanks for the link though I saw in the suggestion bar a subspecies 3 pack blu ray for 15 bucks im going to snag. All the blu rays I really buy are 70s and 80s horror movies.

I also want to order Castle Freak, The Pit and the Pendulum, Subspecies 1-3, Dollman, and Tourist Trap on Blu Ray.

Dat Full Moon HD

I don't see how blu-ray ads anything to movies like this, so I don't see why people spend more to get them on blu-ray. If any of you don't care, here's a much larger set for $5 and prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Puppet-Master-Killjoy-Complete-Collection/dp/B0091G7BTM/ref=pd_cp_mov_0

In my opinion, for older horror movies, the grittier picture added to the movies (while heavily relying on makeup rather than special effects for everything it helps immersion not seeing it in HD). DVD is a step above VHS, but still it offers a similar feel. 

I don't see how blu-ray ads anything to movies like this, so I don't see why people spend more to get them on blu-ray. If any of you don't care, here's a much larger set for $5 and prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Puppet-Master-Killjoy-Complete-Collection/dp/B0091G7BTM/ref=pd_cp_mov_0

In my opinion, for older horror movies, the grittier picture added to the movies (while heavily relying on makeup rather than special effects for everything it helps immersion not seeing it in HD). DVD is a step above VHS, but still it offers a similar feel.
A lot of releases on blu ray actually look better because they have been cleaned up a bit. The sound also gets cleaned up as well.

The quality on that set you linked is god awful because it was released by echo bridge and they are notorious for half assing everything and cram as much as they can on one disc thus lowering the quality of the picture in order to put as much as they can on a single disc. I mean that collection has 12 movies on 3 dvds. They are less than VHS quality.

So yeah you can buy that set if you want an inferior product. Besides, who the hell wants killjoy? Those are fucking terrible movies in every sense of the word.

You seem to be going by assumption and youre own reasoning vs actually knowing.

Great price on this set. The first Puppet Master is a genuinely well-made indie horror film. Part 2 reuses the same beautiful location but is mostly a letdown. 3 lacks production values but tells a cool story set in Nazi-era Germany, returning Andre Toulon to a sympathetic character after his ill-conceived turn as villain in part 2.

Note that the region-free European Blu-rays have better picture quality and packaging than Fullmoon's US releases... But you can't beat Amazon's current price for this set.

I'm amazed that someone would actively prefer an inferior picture and less detail than the alternative. That is not a common perspective among cinephiles; not at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great price on this set. The first Puppet Master is a genuinely well-made indie horror film. Part 2 reuses the same beautiful location but is mostly a letdown. 3 lacks production values but tells a cool story set in Nazi-era Germany, returning Andre Toulon to a sympathetic character after his ill-conceived turn as villain in part 2.

Note that the region-free European Blu-rays have better picture quality and packaging than Fullmoon's US releases... But you can't beat Amazon's current price for this set.

I'm amazed that someone would actively prefer an inferior picture and less detail than the alternative. That is not a common perspective among cinephiles; not at all.
I've never heard of the term "cinephile" before. Anyway, when it concerns older horror movies, I think lower quality visuals enhance the atmosphere. Movies like Night of The Living Dead did not have CGI to fall back on. Too much clarity for a movie like that, in my opinion, takes you out of the movie.

Well, I grew up watch VHS horrors from blockbuster, so DVD is a middle ground for me. I like it. It works for me. Now a movie like The Hobbit, obviously that's best on blu-ray.

Hmm interesting that you have never heard the word "cinephile". How many movies do you own? If you own more then 1000 that is a term you should have heard of before today. If not then all good, as now you know it

I disagree with your statement about blu ray. If anything blu ray adds like eastx said clarity and better sound. I have tons of horror stuff on blu ray and it looks amazing. Better yet is when they find a old print and clean it up and restore it. Look at the Friday the 13th blu ray box set. Amazing, imo.

And I can't what for the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4K restoration. Either you have been watching transfers like Echo Bride which are utter crap or titles that have had been DNR'd the crap out of them. A good transfer still retains a nice fine layer of grain giving it that film quality look, while enhancing the visuals to let you see detail you've never seen before.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the original Texas Chainsaw is getting rereleased on Blu Ray? The original is already OOP, the only Texas Chainsaw film on Blu that isn't made anymore... Part 3 and the The Next Generation haven't been released on Blu Ray yet.

bread's done
Back