* * - - - 13 votes

Xbox One $399.99 From Amazon

#211 RiPPn  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

The Xbox one isn't doing as well because of it's price. If both were $399 at launch chances are x1 would be in the lead. Stupid MS. sucks the deal is dead because i had friends who wanted this

Price is one of many factors, but had they been the same price the margin wouldn't be as big, however I still believe Sony would have a significant edge.  The DRM fiasco still resonates in many peoples minds.   The power disparity is pretty important, Xboners play it off now, but most multi console gamers bought 360 multiplats, especially in the beginning because of their performance advantage over the PS3 and since that disparity is even greater this gen it's going to be a problem for the bone and it's attach rate.  PS+ has a better perceived value than Gold and it also has a cheaper annual price.  The abandonment of the 360 the last 4 years in favor of Kinect and casuals as well as the heavy reliance on 3rd party multiplats as well as focusing too much on limited genres.  These are just some of many problems Microsoft is facing along with price and why boxes aren't moving.

Did this kind of stuff go on with the 360 and we've just forgotten?

I got mine in March 06 I think and I can't remember if there was a price cut before or close after.

Yeah, dat early adoption gamble !

I think a 10%-20% price reduction within 4 months is unheard of.  The closest to that I can think of is the PS3 price drop that happened in May the following year of it's release which was around the 6 month mark.

When titles like PvZ:GW and Ryse are being listed as reasons why one system is better than the other, you know you're in a launch slump  :lol: Right now it's basically Infamous vs Titanfall, the rest is negligible. Then again I kept my Xbox 360 during the launch window thanks to Geometry Wars. They're both very solid consoles with really weak line-ups right now.

I wound up with Titanfall on PC, while still "next-gen console exclusive" for the Xbox One, it's amazing how little it takes to run Titanfall really well on PC.

It's amazing that Microsoft has somehow convinced some people the bone is such an exclusives power house with so little exclusive content:

Crimson Dragon 
Dead Rising 3 
Forza 5 
Killer Instinct 
LocoCycle
Powerstar Golf 
Ryse 

Timed / Semi-exclusives: 

Halo Spartan Assault (also on the PC, 360, and Windows Phone and Tablets)
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood (timed: also on 360 and PC will be released next month) 
Peggle 2 (timed: xbox on 360 in May and other platforms at a later date) 
Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (timed: also on 360 and other platforms at a later date) 
Titanfall (also on PC and will be on 360 next week) 

#212 tbassett   MW2 Still King CAGiversary!   1012 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

All the xone apologists are missing the point.

Do you see the ps4 bundling games or having any sort of sale/price drop?

You picked the wrong console to early adopt. PS4 may not even see a price drop after ms does their inevitable drop in the coming months.

That's simply your opinion. I got both consoles the day they came out and I'm fine with both. But if I had to choose which one I regret picking up early its the PS4 hands down. X1 game line up flat out crushes it.

#213 GBAstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9696 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

Finance, MBA.

It's just a bunch of children posting about how MS can't afford this, blah blah blah.  If this generates HYPE for them, even in the least, Microsoft just did a fantastic job.  Not too many game companies make a console to profit from the console, the profit comes after the loss (Accessories, Software).  This is why you'll notice that when they do their earnings statements they announce their attach rate.  That attach rate message is going to the investors and software developers saying "If you make a game for our system we attach at a 2:3 ratio".  Nintendo's biggest issue is their 3rd Party attach rate, it's abysmal.  Nintendo, though, is a great example of someone that makes great profits from hardware and first party games.

Every business has early adopters.  You will always overpay, but that's the price of the early adopter.  You get to enjoy the product first, be the discussion of the people that can't afford/get one yet.  That's why you're the early adopter.

I didn't realize you needed an MBA to come to that conclusion. Congrats. Higher learning FTW.

#214 GBAstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9696 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

For fucks sake....NEXT GEN CONSOLE exclusive.

timed.

#215 Groo The Wanderer  

Groo The Wanderer

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

When titles like PvZ:GW and Ryse are being listed as reasons why one system is better than the other, you know you're in a launch slump :lol: Right now it's basically Infamous vs Titanfall, the rest is negligible. Then again I kept my Xbox 360 during the launch window thanks to Geometry Wars. They're both very solid consoles with really weak line-ups right now.

Yeah let's ignore the other GREAT games for X1 I listed. If the PS4 had Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct you Sony guys would be jizzing yourselves every day. But you've got Infamous: Repetitive Mediocre Emo Douche Son, so you're good for now.

#216 nosferatu51  

nosferatu51

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

When titles like PvZ:GW and Ryse are being listed as reasons why one system is better than the other, you know you're in a launch slump :lol:

Actually, I (and most people who have played it) think Ryse got a really bum deal when it came to reviews. It's a much better game than its Metacritic or the like would have you think. People wanted it to be something it isn't, but as a linear, hack n slash it works really well. The other issue is that on normal or lower difficulty its weaknesses are glaring and its strengths are missing. As you increase the difficulty, you begin to see how precise its timing is, how responsive the controls actually are to accomplish that and how there's actually more depth to its combat and maximizing your hits and executions. Can you mess up execution "quick-times" and still kill the guy (granted you have to whittle them down prior to doing so)? Absolutely.... on normal. As you step it up, the health you get from a higher rated (and thus better timed execution) becomes more important and critical. Legendary executions actually require you to hit the button BEFORE the color prompt and you can do so by paying attention to the animation and noting that your guy is about to swing his sword (X) or smack the dude with his shield (Y) and pre-empt the color prompt. Also, swing timing to string combos and do more damage becomes necessary over simple button-mashing. Or you could continue to perpetuate the opinions of people who haven't actually tried it. Kotaku's review was probably the most considered on the game.

PvZ is a goofy, entertaining, budget-priced multi-only shooter that has already had free DLC. Its mechanics are surprisingly solid, there is good balance without each side being a carbon copy and it inject a little variety into what is a fairly stagnant genre.

So yeah, I think those 2 exclusives are both very much worth touting.

Guest_rcerboss_*

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

I didn't realize you needed an MBA to come to that conclusion. Congrats. Higher learning FTW.

He's since edited the comment but before he was applauding Nintendo on their profits.

If he has an MBA and thought to applaud Nintendo for it's profits for even a second.... I'd ask for a refund on that degree.  

#218 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

Where is that guy that was in the previous thread saying there's NO WAY the price would go lower within 6 months and anyone who thought so was an idiot (and he bought one at $450)? LOL.

#219 seihaku   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   35 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

Yeah let's ignore the other GREAT games for X1 I listed. If the PS4 had Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct you Sony guys would be jizzing yourselves every day. But you've got Infamous: Repetitive Mediocre Emo Douche Son, so you're good for now.

Actually I'm sort of for both consoles, I just think the launches have been weak. Dead Rising 3 gets old tremendously fast, faster than the InFamous titles if you can believe that. Killer Instinct is pretty forgettable. I'm not a racing sim guy so Forza doesn't really do much for me one way or another.

I didn't care for Ryse as it was tremendously repetitive and the in-game animations never looked quite right to me, but I can understand the defense for it. Just like I can for any of these games.  There are no Great games for the X1, or PS4. Not yet.

PvZ is fun, not saying that it's not, but I don't consider it a "Great Game", or even having Splosion Man level of attraction to it. But I dunno, pretty disposable. The only thing I truly don't like about the Xbox One is the fact you need Gold to use Netflix and other media services. The only thing I truly don't like about the PS4 is that the Xbox 360 controller is still better (The One controller was a slight step back imho, but still better than the PS4 pad).

#220 CaseX   CAG addict CAGiversary!   2135 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

I feel like we've moved beyond "off topic" when we start subtlely attacking people.  He only mentioned he had an MBA because someone specifically asked.  It's not like he was bragging or mentioned it out of the blue.  Just pointing that out.

#221 thesuzukimethod   i am a cracked machine. CAGiversary!   541 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

thesuzukimethod

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

Lol. So you're saying that AZ has an algorithm to drop/match prices and it involves NO human oversight? 

yes, this is a known fact.  do some research.

for ex. 

https://www.techdirt...369865593.shtml

just one of many examples.  likely the price was meant to reflect other retailers, (shift to 450), not meant to stack with 50 off promotion.

it's also quite possible that amazon had a shit ton of x1s they were sitting on and needed to move, so they let the price go for a bit to burn off some supply...as soon as they sold enough off, the price adjusted back to "normal". 

also, how did this thread become a pointless console fanboi flame war?  oh yeah, reasons.   JFC

#222 Groo The Wanderer  

Groo The Wanderer

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

I've been playing DR and KI since launch and they havent gotten old yet to me. If you play online with friends it increases the fun factor and the replay value.

Anyways this thread has jumped the proverbial shark. I'm out

#223 GBAstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9696 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Where is that guy that was in the previous thread saying there's NO WAY the price would go lower within 6 months and anyone who thought so was an idiot (and he bought one at $450)? LOL.

That is the same guy who touted this as a Walmart 2-day sale that all the other retailers just nationally price matched to be competitive. He claimed it was not a "Green light" by MS to drop prices/have sales.

He also claimed $450 was the best priced it would be in the next six month (guaranteed it I believe). He then said he bought one at $450 but didn't think it was a good deal (How that makes sense based on his above comments is beyond me) and earlier this morning claimed to buy a second unit at $399 so he could refund his first one.

I feel like we've moved beyond "off topic" when we start subtlely attacking people.  He only mentioned he had an MBA because someone specifically asked.  It's not like he was bragging or mentioned it out of the blue.  Just pointing that out.

He was being a douche... and as a bigger douche... it's easy for me to recognize that.

yes, this is a known fact.  do some research.

No shit. They drop prices daily based on inventory available, often by a few cents a day until they sell "X" units and then the price jumps back. Of course that is automated----but it is much less likely that when BB/WM/Target etc. have a daily sale they auto match it without human intervention. The same with prices being reported via the "Find it at a lower price?" link.

I'm sure they get alerts and someone manually approves.

#224 nosferatu51  

nosferatu51

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

That's simply your opinion. I got both consoles the day they came out and I'm fine with both. But if I had to choose which one I regret picking up early its the PS4 hands down. X1 game line up flat out crushes it.

I have both and I 100% agree. I'm really started to get frustrated by all these supposedly "real gamers" who rant about the X1, saying it's not for gamers, etc. The exclusive games on the X1 are, far and away, more numerous and of higher quality than what's on the PS4. There's this animosity towards MS that I think STILL stems from the DRM stuff before that people need to unwed their panties from already. Sony loves you for it, don't get me wrong, but really.... as gamers we should pay attention to the games and judging by my playtime being dominated by 1 system (and my PC), that that is what people are actually paying the least attention to.

#225 MarcusKane   Sweet Tooth CAGiversary!   543 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Eh buy a ps4

#226 seihaku   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   35 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Regardless, $399 is a phenomenal price and this should be repeated at some time in the near future. The price point has popped up way too many times for it to be a coincidence. Last gen the 60gb PS3 dropped from $599 to $499 in a span of 8 months, the original Xbox dropped from $299 to $199 in 7 months.  So there may be some movement on the price around e3.

Guest_rcerboss_*

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

Actually I believe it started off with insulting everyone speculating on these console prices as if he has some special insight or as if his thoughts matter more because he has some fancy degree

Spoiler

I wouldn't have responded but then to proceed and even begin to imply that Nintendo's console is doing well..... it's really just one of those BS moments you've gotta call out.

#228 CaseX   CAG addict CAGiversary!   2135 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

Fair enough.  To be honest, I couldn't be bothered to read through all the posts from before I got online.  Skimmed just enough to know it would be a waste of my time.

#229 RiPPn  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

If you had infamous, Killzone, and Resogun you would be jizzing yourself.  See it works both ways.  I own both machines and I I'm not a fan of Killer Instinct at all, it's an incomplete rushed game short on modes and characters with a promise that one day it may be a complete game, very similar to Titanfall.  Dead rising I played long enough to get to the restaurant and lost interest, but I plan on giving that game a second go since I own it.  And you want to talk repetitive, Ryse is the biggest offender, and it also felt kind of rushed unfinished, as it was very short and the difficulty scale only made enemy hits take more energy and added more enemies to the game, I didn't even feel like going back and playing for the collectables, I'm glad I rented it.  Peggle 2 is probably the game I've put the most time into on the machine, and I'd hardly say that was worth $500 bucks especially since it will be released on other platforms.

#230 AngryNerdJosh   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   564 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

AngryNerdJosh

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

The next Gen lineups are pretty weak. The best true exclusive is probably second son or shadow fall. The best company exclusives are titanfall and PvZ. That's completely subjective though. If someone writes off PvZ without trying it then they are doing themselves a disservice. That is unless they don't like 3rd person competitive shooters.

#231 Maynard   Steam 48 hours a week. CAGiversary!   2252 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

He's since edited the comment but before he was applauding Nintendo on their profits.

If he has an MBA and thought to applaud Nintendo for it's profits for even a second.... I'd ask for a refund on that degree.  

"Nintendo, though, is a great example of someone that makes great profits from hardware and first party games." Reading, take that up as a secondary focus.  Did not applaud them on their "Profits", I applauded them on their ability to USUALLY profit from hardware sales and software sales.  I'm a douche also.

#232 UcanSUKtheFAC   Banned Banned   1304 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

UcanSUKtheFAC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

So... Is this a gaming console or an "all-in-one console"? I stopped paying attention to Xbox months ago. Before I invest an a Xbox One or PS4 the prices are going to have to hit $300 though, because they're just not worth more than that.

well, considering "worth" is subjective to context and you have, well, no context seeing as how you don't have a ps4, I'd try speaking in hypothetical rather than absolutes.

Guest_rcerboss_*

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

"Nintendo, though, is a great example of someone that makes great profits from hardware and first party games." Reading, take that up as a secondary focus.  Did not applaud them on their "Profits", I applauded them on their ability to USUALLY profit from hardware sales and software sales.  I'm a douche also.

Nintendo CLAIMS they are taking a loss on every WiiU sold, not a profit. 

Of course numerous articles have come out then calling BS on that statement, estimating that the console probably runs in at $250 a unit (after factoring in a healthy R&D/Ad budget that Nintendo doesn't seem to use).  Still, I wouldn't applaud them for flat out lying to consumers, even if every other business seems to be pulling the same shit.  I don't even know what to say anymore lol, maybe Nintendo really IS taking a loss on each unit sold because they are extremely incompetent?  When it comes to hardware I can certainly believe that.

Wii was a fluke, a happy accident that was lucky enough to become a fad for awhile.  Which would be fine if they could've successfully built on that, but obviously they've failed to do so.  Don't get me wrong, I love the system, but looking back on the GOOD software, only one or two games really utilized those controls to their full potential.  Were it not for that happy accident, I'd think they'd be out of the console business at this point.  I mean aside from the Wii, they haven't been top dog since the SNES days.

#234 beetlegum   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   290 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

beetlegum

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

Price is $500 now.  Looks like a dead deal to me.  I'm still not tempted.  I have a ton of games in my backlog from last generation.  The ability to wave my hand and switch to Netflix really fast isn't that big of deal to me.  I'm not so lazy that  I can't push a button on a remote.

#235 NINJA V   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   482 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

DANG IT - MISSED IT TOTALLY!

Back to retail pricing - please change title so that people don't get their hopes up...

#236 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16297 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

It's a very real possibility for Black Friday if nothing else. Even if it's just to help compete against PS4.

Either way it's not like your opinion is any better :-?

In my opinion it's not a very real possibility. I'm willing to stand behind my statements. Are you?

Guest_rcerboss_*

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:14 PM

In my opinion it's not a very real possibility. I'm willing to stand behind my statements. Are you?

Always.  But slapping "In my opinion" in front of it doesn't make it any less condescending.  The fact that you think you can see the future better than others is pretty arrogant.  I hope you don't break anything when you fall off that high horse.  

Anything can happen, and that goes double for black friday.

#238 CaseX   CAG addict CAGiversary!   2135 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

DANG IT - MISSED IT TOTALLY!

Back to retail pricing - please change title so that people don't get their hopes up...

Or just move this thread to the graveyard since we're just opining on which console is better and what Black Friday console prices might be....

#239 Donut2922   Read the OP! CAGiversary!   10091 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

All this pissing and moaning over a sale that lasted less than an hour on Amazon. Anyone who bought a launch console still received a good deal if they paid what they were willing to pay to join the party and start having fun with the thing immediately. If it wasn't worth whatever you paid for it at the time, then why did you buy it? Who cares if a handful of people got it for a few bucks cheaper during a very limited sale?

The reason over all this hand wringing is the CAG/SD mindset.  We're on all of these deal sites so the mentality has been to save as much as possible.  A $50 savings on the Xbone console is almost a free upgrade to a physical copy of a game like Titanfall.  So anybody that bought the Titanfall bundle before the temporary price drop had buyer's remorse.  I'd rather get a Xbone with a digital copy of Forza and a physical copy of Titanfall than an Xbone with just a digital copy of Titanfall. 

Also with all of the recent promotional bundles and offers from MS to push Xbone sales, it's gotten everybody to naturally speculate whether there will be an MSRP price drop announced at E3.  Whenver you tease a $50 savings periodically, people will naturally hesitate and wonder whether they should hold off on their purchase until an official drop occurs.  Mix that in with the argument for early adopters getting slapped in the face, then yeah, we get all this bickering as a result.  I must be salty this morning because I couldn't help but open this thread first thing in the morning lol :)

#240 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16297 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

Always. But slapping "In my opinion" in front of it doesn't make it any less condescending. The fact that you think you can see the future better than others is pretty arrogant. I hope you don't break anything when you fall off that high horse.

Anything can happen, and that goes double for black friday.

I fixed that.

So we have a bet? It's for a good cause!