Amazon DotD: Farscape Complete Series!

thelaughingmann

CAGiversary!
http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=gbsl_tit_l-1_0942_9eebafbd?ie=UTF8&node=8729022011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=left-new-1&pf_rd_r=01J8XSXNAJC592M50H3S&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=1740370942

Blu-Ray: $53

DVD: $39

http://www.amazon.com/Farscape-Peacekeeper-Wars-Ben-Browder/dp/B0006FO9B0/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1396010422&sr=1-1&keywords=peacekeeper+wars

Peacekeeper Wars DVD (ONLY on DVD): $8

Go for the Blu-Ray of the Complete Series IMO. Looks a bit better, but sounds amazing...also, since the seasons come in standard size Blu cases set in a box, it makes storage more convenient. The Peacekeeper Wars is the "official" conclusion to the show, and only on DVD, so any completionists will want to get it to give the story a proper sendoff. Still looks and sounds great on DVD, regardless.

I still have yet to watch Firefly (which my dad highly recommends), so I don't know if this is worth buying for me, despite it being such a great value... :whistle2:k

I still have yet to watch Firefly (which my dad highly recommends), so I don't know if this is worth buying for me, despite it being such a great value... :whistle2:k
Firefly and Farscape are in two different veins of storytelling. Farscape is Aussie-American produced, featured makeup and puppetry by the Jim Henson Company (yes, aka the Muppets), gets progressively deeper with the story with each season, and got to properly finish AFTER the fanbase lost their fuck over its cancellation near the end.

The DVDs for under $50 is a deal. This show, not STAR TREK, not BABYLON 5, not BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, not even FIREFLY...is what got me into sci-fi.

Great show, it's a shame they haven't put out a re-release of Peacekeeper Wars. It's the same DVD that was released years ago.
It's still very good quality despite being a DVD. They did a Blu-Ray release in Europe for Peacekeeper Wars, but it was short-lived and no longer in production. =( Eventually, Lions Gate will release the rights to it and then A&E can nab it and do a TRUE Complete Series...until then, we make do with what we got.

Firefly and Farscape are in two different veins of storytelling. Farscape is Aussie-American produced, featured makeup and puppetry by the Jim Henson Company (yes, aka the Muppets), gets progressively deeper with the story with each season, and got to properly finish AFTER the fanbase lost their fuck over its cancellation near the end.

The DVDs for under $50 is a deal. This show, not STAR TREK, not BABYLON 5, not BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, not even FIREFLY...is what got me into sci-fi.
So do you recommend the DVD set over the Blu-ray because of the $14 difference? In the OP, you suggested getting the Blu-ray set because it "sounds amazing".

Last edited by a moderator:
The visual upgrade is slightly better, but is not greatly so since they can't go back to the original master due to the SFX, though the audio upgrade over the DVD is considerable. If you have a sound system, you will definitely want the blu-ray.

So do you recommend the DVD set over the Blu-ray because of the $14 difference? In the OP, you suggested getting the Blu-ray set because it "sounds amazing".
The Blu-Ray has better video. The default resolution for Seasons 1, 2 and 3 (which were when Full-screen imaging was still common) was set much higher on the Blu's than the DVD's. Widescreen format was available with Season 4 and Peacekeeper Wars. The image quality is a little better (but sadly, the original prints of the show were lost somewhere, and the VFX they worked in would be hard to remaster, so they had to convert these over from PAL broadcasts), so the video's not too bad. I watch it on a 20+ inch TV and think it looks pretty. The audio quality is worlds better, especially if you have a multi-channel stereo system. Also, since the Blu's are standard size cases, give or take a couple of millimeters, it makes storing them in DVD shelving more convenient. The fewer number of disks to deal with is a convenience, too.

Overall, I'd recommend the Blu-Ray with those specifics in mind. If you're a DVD person, spending under $50 for the entire series and Peacekeeper Wars brand new is a steal.

Still hope it goes down little little bit $39.99 for blu-ray ;)
The first variant that came out in 2009 never hit that low. This price is the lowest I recall for the Blu-ray. It's probably gonna take a while longer...and by then, hopefully Peacekeeper Wars is still on the market.

I know the deal is over but if it ever comes back don't think twice about it.

I bought the old set in 2011 having never seen the show.  Fell in love with it.  You hear "puppets?!?!" and think it's lame, it is not, the puppets give it a realism that has never been correctly captured in a sci-fi show.  The first season at times feels rather Star Trek or Stargate (Both are wonderful in their own way) but by the end of the season, and season 2 and 3, it's one huge story that is simply stunning.  The season 3 finale is one of the best ever.  There is just a magic to the show that brings this insane show to life and make it feel like it's really happening.  It doesn't take the easy way out, it doesn't beat around the bush and make people feel dumb.  Sure there are only 4 seasons and a miniseries but those four season had more happen than all of Star Trek, ST:TNG and half of Stargate combined.  And they did it better.

I know the deal is over but if it ever comes back don't think twice about it.

I bought the old set in 2011 having never seen the show. Fell in love with it. You hear "puppets?!?!" and think it's lame, it is not, the puppets give it a realism that has never been correctly captured in a sci-fi show. The first season at times feels rather Star Trek or Stargate (Both are wonderful in their own way) but by the end of the season, and season 2 and 3, it's one huge story that is simply stunning. The season 3 finale is one of the best ever. There is just a magic to the show that brings this insane show to life and make it feel like it's really happening. It doesn't take the easy way out, it doesn't beat around the bush and make people feel dumb. Sure there are only 4 seasons and a miniseries but those four season had more happen than all of Star Trek, ST:TNG and half of Stargate combined. And they did it better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltn1s-v-XjE

This little excerpt is from one of the show's best episodes. =)

bread's done
Back