Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) - $23.99 @ Best Buy

Need sources if going to blast his post. Where is this posted other than here?
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/326115-bestbuys-craptastic-clearance-sale-1599-2399-wonderful-101-wii-u-gta-iv-complete-edition-7-with-gcu-coupon/page-3
There are other threads to it been marked down since wonderful 101 and other games were marked down to there current $23.99 price and been those prices since January and on amazon it been that price since January 17th and here the amazon proof http://camelcamelcamel.com/Donkey-Kong-Country-Returns-Nintendo-Wii/product/B003ZHMMEM?context=browse

I can't believe that the OP would waste our precious time with an old deal.

Posted "several" times already and you come back with one January post as evidence. Weak

Thanks OP for posting this

Dreamer must only like the regular bs posted in deals section instead of deals

Sorry to bump this topic, but does anyone know if this has drop to $19.99 or lower, in the past? The only time I could find, was a 3rd party seller on Amazon, for $17.

Well I was gonna join the "be an asshole to OP" club but I SO appriciate any BB thread where the title/top posts reflects the sale price and not the GCU price.  Thank you OP for recognizing that not everybody has GCU, and that those who do SHOULD be able to move a decimal point and multiply by 2 with no problems.  

It's also easily one of the best games of the generation. Absolutely worth it at $49.99. A genuine steal at this price.
Sorry, but no. It's a fair enough deal at $24 I guess, but I paid $30 and felt kinda cheated. I would never pay $50 for a simple 2D platformer (at least not one this short, especially with no online MP and no custimization/level creator). But if I had I know I'd have been royally pissed. There just wasn't anything close to $50 worth of value there. If I had it to do all over again I'd hold out for $20 or skip it altogether.

For what it's worth, I hear the handheld version is better, and there's certainly something to be said about the value of a game like this on a portable.

Last edited:
It's also easily one of the best games of the generation. Absolutely worth it at $49.99. A genuine steal at this price.
Exaggerate much? I don't think it qualifies as "one of the best games of the generation", unless your list includes about 500 games. The wiimote "shaking" thing alone (for "ground pounding", rolling, and blowing) was a huge gimmick that brought the game down, as many have complained.

Donkey Kong Country Returns offers two different controller options: Wii Remote or Wii Remote with Nunchuck. Each method comes with its pros and cons, but the preferred method that will be easier for those who played the SNES games is to use just the Wii Remote turned sideways. Unlike previous Donkey Kong games, DK can now pound the ground by shaking the remote, or blow on plants to reveal treasures by holding down and shaking the remote. DK’s signature roll attack comes back, but it’s not nearly as easy to execute as it has been in previous games — you must start moving in one direction and shake the controller to begin rolling. It’s quite difficult to execute in a tight spot, and it’s common enough to accidentally jump on or over enemies rather than roll.

Last edited by a moderator:
The game is great, but really too hard for younger kids.  It's a significant challenge for adults, my sons got frustrated not very far into it.  The controls are decent (a little floaty), but the main problem is the "shake" mechanic they wisely removed from the 3DS and WiiU games.  You have to use it.

If you haven't played it, your 2d platformer dollar is much better suited on the Wii by getting Rayman Origins or New Super Mario Bros.  Those are well worth full price, let alone the good deals you can find on them these days.

The game is great, but really too hard for younger kids. It's a significant challenge for adults, my sons got frustrated not very far into it. The controls are decent (a little floaty), but the main problem is the "shake" mechanic they wisely removed from the 3DS and WiiU games. You have to use it.

If you haven't played it, your 2d platformer dollar is much better suited on the Wii by getting Rayman Origins or New Super Mario Bros. Those are well worth full price, let alone the good deals you can find on them these days.
Have to disagree yet again on both of those as far as the WIi goes. Particularly on NSMBW..... it felt extremely uninspired and was very derivative of what came before. Aside from the multiplayer (which should've been online and was already kinda done on the DS game) it really added nothing at all. From where I'm sitting, NSMB was the start of Nintendo's decline into the full-on slump they are in today.

Again, I paid $30 and felt a bit cheated. Even more than Donkey Kong, online multiplayer and level customization should've been a give-in for this title.

Of course, none of that stopped me from 100% it and beating it twice (yes I actually forced myself to beat the game in multiplayer.... a hellish, unfun nightmare if there ever was one). At least single player is functional..... it'd be a solid $20 title for sure.

I feel better about getting Rayman simply because of the artwork (which looks MUCH better in HD) but again wouldn't classify it as a $60 experience. I'd certainly recommend anybody get it at the current price though, which is more than I can say for DKCR and especially NSMBW. If nothing else, the artwork and graphics in HD really add to the experience.

Last edited:
Exaggerate much? I don't think it qualifies as "one of the best games of the generation", unless your list includes about 500 games. The wiimote "shaking" thing alone (for "ground pounding", rolling, and blowing) was a huge gimmick that brought the game down, as many have complained.
No exaggeration here, just pure subjective opinion.

I felt that Donkey Kong Country was easily the best 2D platformer of the seventh generation, and by extension one of the best of the generation. Tight level design and great gameplay elements; easily much better than the downright stale New Super Mario Bros. Wii and the pretty-but-soulless Rayman Origins.

The game is great, but really too hard for younger kids. It's a significant challenge for adults, my sons got frustrated not very far into it. The controls are decent (a little floaty), but the main problem is the "shake" mechanic they wisely removed from the 3DS and WiiU games. You have to use it.
The shake mechanic is still in the Wii U game, actually. It worked perfectly in Donkey Kong Country Returns and works just as well in Tropical Freeze.

No exaggeration here, just pure subjective opinion.

I felt that Donkey Kong Country was easily the best 2D platformer of the seventh generation, and by extension one of the best of the generation. Tight level design and great gameplay elements; easily much better than the downright stale New Super Mario bros. Wii and the pretty-but-soulless Rayman Origins.

The shake mechanic is still in the Wii U game, actually. It worked perfectly in Donkey Kong Country Returns and works just as well in Tropical Freeze.
I've never met anybody who liked the waggle controls in DKCR, not even on the major Nintendo fansites. I'm floored to say the least.

I didn't mind the waggle mechanics much in NSMBW (although they were still annoying) simply because the game was never that difficult. But it was extremely frustrating in DKCR to say the least.

Last edited:
I've never met anybody who liked the waggle controls in DKCR, not even on the major Nintendo fansites. I'm floored to say the least.

I didn't mind the waggle mechanics much in NSMBW (although they were still annoying) simply because the game was never that difficult. But it was extremely frustrating in DKCR to say the least.
Have you played the game with the "Wii Remote & Nunchuck" setup? Flicking the Wii remote sideways when held vertically feels much more natural than doing an "up & down" motion when using the Wii Remote held horizontally.

Even when playing Tropical Freeze on the Wii U I prefer this setup because it feels more natural to shake and roll rather than pressing a button to pull off a roll jump.

rcerboss, that's fine you do not feel they are worth it to you, but they were absolutely worth it for my household.  Keep in mind, many Mario games are aimed at kids, and as a result they have not had the extensive Mario experience you might have had - therefore they are not derivative, it's new.  New Super Mario Bros. was the first new Mario 2d platformer (minus the 3DS one) to come out in my oldest son's lifetime.  He and his younger brother have since played that game to death, I still regularly find it in the system.  I've gotten $50 times 10 worth of value out of it.

I think, in general judging on your obvious distaste for Nintendo as a whole, it might be best for you just to move on away from Nintendo.  You have gotten older in your tastes and experience and they haven't.  Their marketing and games are still primarily aimed at the same place.  It's like those that disliked the new Star Wars trilogy based on the fact that the movies did not grow up like they did.  They are much older, wiser and expect a more in depth story and gritty realism.  They wanted Star Wars Episode 1 to become like Riddick.  Jar Jar was annoying as hell, and I am not a big fan of those movies either, but I recognize George Lucas was trying to sell action figures to pre-teens and stir a little nostalgia, not create dramatic opus that would sit atop the Academy Awards.  Nintendo isn't trying to revolutionize the market, they are trying to sell family friendly video games to the next generation.

I personally haven't played more than a few levels of the WiiU Mario games.  They are fun, but like you, I've already been there, done that.  My sons play the crap out of them, my youngest plays the same four or five levels over and over and over.  I couldn't justify full price just for me, but it's absolutely worth it for them.  Thankfully we, as adults, have other options to go along with our occasional dips back into comfortable, familiar/derivative games.

I think it's entirely a "Different Stroke for Different Folks" sort of thing.

I'd rather play Nintendo's colorful fun games over dark and moody "shoot everything that moves" games any day of the week. That doesn't mean what you enjoy it wrong, it's just not for me; and I would hope you'd respect that.

Have you played the game with the "Wii Remote & Nunchuck" setup? Flicking the Wii remote sideways when held vertically feels much more natural than doing an "up & down" motion when using the Wii Remote held horizontally.

Even when playing Tropical Freeze on the Wii U I prefer this setup because it feels more natural to shake and roll rather than pressing a button to pull off a roll jump.
It's all taste, but the shake controls have never felt responsive to me. It's functional, but maybe the responsiveness is just the game in general. However, I also disliked it in Super Mario Galaxy 2, that last level when you have to wall jump between platforms you have to shake to operate was a nightmare. Just give me an option for a dang button!

I'm totally in favor of the way it was done in Tropical Freeze, as you mentioned you can use it that way. I prefer it on a button, as many do. I also liked it in Punch Out!!! - that game was very fun using motion controls, but when you get far into the game it is almost necessary to switch back to button control, due to the inherent impreciseness of motion control. Good luck beating Mr. Sandman or Donkey Kong on motion controls.

It all comes down to how it is implemented in hardware. The gyrometer uses inertia and gravity to make the connection to indicate an action. In other words, you move, which causes the gyroscope to move, which makes the connection, which causes the action. Using a button you just make the connection directly. While the delay from the extra step is negligible, it is still there - you can talk to fighting game frame counting fans over whether that delay makes a difference. Donkey Kong Returns challenge level is pretty high - the levels often require split second response, motion controls feel like a handicap (although memorization can alleviate it).

I'd rather play Nintendo's colorful fun games over dark and moody "shoot everything that moves" games any day of the week. That doesn't mean what you enjoy it wrong, it's just not for me; and I would hope you'd respect that.
That is TOTALLY wrong. Don't you know, if you don't like something, it sucks. I mean, I really dislike realistic sport games, so that automatically means they are terrible.

It's not about dark/gritty vs colorful/lighthearted, it's about the content you are getting.

I think either of the Galaxy games, the Wii Zeldas, and Metroid Prime can totally stand toe to toe with anything out there. Totally worth $50, or even $60, even with the control hiccups each game has.

But when I look at a 2D platformer (which, with my experience in gaming/development, I know is FAR easier/cheaper to make than any of my previous examples) I have much higher standards if you are gonna pass it off as a full priced title. This includes perfectly tight controls (which DK lacked), online multiplayer (if applicable), and level customization. Maybe LBP spoiled me but at the very least there's no denying that NSMBW/U were anemic, and downright lazy efforts. As budget games they are totally fun, but as a (former) dev seeing it sit side by side with a game like Arkham City at the same price is downright insulting to the years of work and insane manhours that went into it. I can forgive DK for missing some of this based on the fact that it's supposed to be an insanely hard, balls to the walls experience and would probably have a higher opinion of DKCR if Nintendo/Retro could've bothered to include CCP support for DKCR, but no, you have to go to the homebrew community for that :wall: That's inexcusable in my book and certainly hurts the value of the game in my eyes. I can't even begin to fathom why an omission of that nature even exists to begin with.....

At least with Rayman they (claimed they) used hand-drawn art, and there's certainly something to be said for that. And DKCR isn't exactly ugly (NSMBW is), but neither of them can compare to the beauty of Rayman. Still, these are games that I finished in a handful of hours, and I'm used to getting more bang for my buck. That counts for something too.

I know opinions are opinions ect and I respect everything everyone says. The only thing that ultimately bothers me is that, with a simple homebrew install, I can enjoy far more creative, innovative, and flat out fun NSMBW levels than I ever experienced on the game itself. And I can play DKCR the way it should be played, without stupid waggling getting me killed every few minutes. Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy a good Nintendo game as much as the next guy and can't wait for the newest MK and SSB. But their platformers have been very poor substitutes for the games we used to get like SMB3 and I just don't think they are worth the money of other full priced games.

As it stands, I've played all the major 2D platformers on Wii and the only ones that I felt were truly worth a premium price were Kirby's Epic Yarn (which I paid $30 for on launch day rofl) and maybe kinda WarioLand Shake Dimension. The gameplay wasn't all I'd hoped it would be on either title but Kirby (and to a lesser extent Wario) completely blew me away with their presentation and art style. Meanwhile I had to force myself to finish the others.

It's all taste, but the shake controls have never felt responsive to me. It's functional, but maybe the responsiveness is just the game in general. However, I also disliked it in Super Mario Galaxy 2, that last level when you have to wall jump between platforms you have to shake to operate was a nightmare. Just give me an option for a dang button!

I'm totally in favor of the way it was done in Tropical Freeze, as you mentioned you can use it that way. I prefer it on a button, as many do. I also liked it in Punch Out!!! - that game was very fun using motion controls, but when you get far into the game it is almost necessary to switch back to button control, due to the inherent impreciseness of motion control. Good luck beating Mr. Sandman or Donkey Kong on motion controls.

It all comes down to how it is implemented in hardware. The gyrometer uses inertia and gravity to make the connection to indicate an action. In other words, you move, which causes the gyroscope to move, which makes the connection, which causes the action. Using a button you just make the connection directly. While the delay from the extra step is negligible, it is still there - you can talk to fighting game frame counting fans over whether that delay makes a difference. Donkey Kong Returns challenge level is pretty high - the levels often require split second response, motion controls feel like a handicap (although memorization can alleviate it).
I don't think I ever beat DK with motion controls, but I know I got through the rest of the Punch-Out game with them. And yeah, like you said, it was a nightmare compared to the other control layout. :boxing: Looking back I can't believe I actually did it.

But after adding some weighted armbands it was a fun little workout at least

Last edited:
bread's done
Back