Any advice on how to get a gym membership for cheap?

hiccupleftovers

CAGiversary!
So by really no fault of my own, my previous gym membership was canceled. It was fantastic as I was only paying like $12-13 a month for multiple locations/ 24 hours/ and a pool(s). However, starting roughly 6-7 months ago, I've had the perfect storm of events (family illness/death) which has caused me to overlook certain things (i.e. mail, etc.) and one that I failed to act on was my gym renewal, which they have subsequently canceled my plan. Now they are insisting that to return I would have to rejoin them, that I was paying too cheap, and that they won't let me back on my previous membership price/plan. They want me to rejoin, with a start up fee and are doubling the monthly cost to $24. I am now exploring other options, unless some one knows what to say to a gym (I feel like I'm talking to something worse than a car dealership) so they'll let me have my previous plan/membership.

I'm willing to sign a contract for a year if that could possible reduce the cost.

There are some $10 fitness clubs/gyms in my area, however, they don't provide all the amenities that I would need, such as being open late or 24 hours. I have looked into the multigen/community (city) location, but their hours are bad and they don't have all the equipment I would like.

So far a Gold's Gym seems to be my best bet at $10 a month, but they want a huge sign up fee of $100. I don't know if they can wave it or offer any promotions that reduce this cost. Also, this price would only be for a single location and doesn't offer a pool, which I guess I could adjust to.

Just like when buying computers and automobiles, are there better times during the month/year when to go to speak to a gym or when they offer better rates/plans?

If you have health insurance you might try talking to your carrier, sometimes they have deals with gym chains to get you a reduced or subsidized rate. I know blue cross has a plan where you pay a certain monthly fee and you are allowed to use any gym that is a part of the nationwide network. When I looked into it, there were 3 gyms in my area that were a part of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you work in a job with an employee discount or where you can offer some sort of service (computer repair, for example) many smaller or franchise places will barter with you. You get their discount if they can use your's, sort of thing. Worth a shot.

If you work in a job with an employee discount or where you can offer some sort of service (computer repair, for example) many smaller or franchise places will barter with you. You get their discount if they can use your's, sort of thing. Worth a shot.
This is a great idea. Ever since I started working at Bestbuy, I've gotten movie tickets for free directly from the theater manager. In 8 months all he asked for me to buy was a tv. Granted my discount saved him over 2 grand. I don't work there anymore but that manager still offers me free tickets(possible to match the 2 thousand savings). He even encourages me to bring my girlfriend or friends. This is just an example of what you can achieve from trying something like this.

Most employers offer discounted gym memberships. Many large office buildings have gyms in the building itself. For our office, any employee of any company that leases from them can use the gym for a one time $50 fee. 

This is a great idea. Ever since I started working at Bestbuy, I've gotten movie tickets for free directly from the theater manager. In 8 months all he asked for me to buy was a tv. Granted my discount saved him over 2 grand. I don't work there anymore but that manager still offers me free tickets(possible to match the 2 thousand savings). He even encourages me to bring my girlfriend or friends. This is just an example of what you can achieve from trying something like this.
I wouldn't suggest doing this, if you get caught trading goods or services are your place of employment for personal gain, you're going to get fired.

bread's done
Back