* * - - - 6 votes

Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn PS4 Free on PSN Store

#10 walls99   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   579 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

According to a question posted on the official playstation blog

http://blog.us.plays...ore-update-337/

-----------------------------

dfoz3 on April 8th, 2014 at 2:07 pm said:

Can you please explain what is going on with Final Fantasy 14!! I want to get this for the PS4 but just want to buy it on PSN, now it shows up as free to download. Does this mean I don’t need to buy it or do I need to actually buy it from a 3rd party retailer?? Also, under price changes it shows as dropping from 39.99 to 24.99 but doesn’t state what platform. Someone please clarify this a bit, thanks!!

+ Kristine Steimer on April 8th, 2014 at 2:52 pm said:

My understanding with FF14 is that you can download it for free on PS4 but you still have to pay their monthly subscription fee. The price changes in this document reflect price drops on the PS3 versions. Hope that helps!

+ Kristine Steimer on April 8th, 2014 at 3:07 pm said:

Got a bit more clarification from the store team, it seems like this download for PS4 is just the client, so you will need an account for the game to be able to play.

#23 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67671 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:56 PM

The full game isn't free at all. This is just the client that was available last week in preparation for the second phase of the PS4 beta and is still available in advance of the Early Access period that begins on 4/11, which is only available for those that pre-order the game. The client only needs an update or two to be ready for launch day when you purchase your copy of the game, but you still need to purchase a copy of the game to do anything with it whether you get a physical or digital version of the game or do the one-time transfer of the license from a PS3 copy of the game. When launch day arrives, the "free" version on the PS Store will go up to $39.99 to get the actual full game.

Details on the transfer program:

http://blog.us.plays...ls-new-trailer/

More details here and more pre-order/early access info here.