Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn PS4 Free on PSN Store

srac84

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey guys just noticed the game is free on the psn store..not sure if its an error or not, there is a $15 monthly fee but for those who are gonna buy it for 39.99 anyways free is always better...seems to be the full version 11.3 GB and doesn't say anything about a beta in the description..

Yes..I Know we have a psn thread but I thought this probably deserved its own thread.

It is really wonky the way they are releasing this.  This download is only for the client though.  You still need to buy a physical version of the game to get the license.

EDIT:  I still downloaded it too though, just to be safe. ;)

EDIT 2: If you own the ps3 version of the game you can upgrade to ps4 for free per SE's website.  They just dropped the price of the ps3 version on psn to 24.99 as well.  This appears to be the cheapest way to get the game on ps4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing free I believe. It's a free client, doesn't mean it's really free.

[edit] or a beta

I bought this for PS3 when it re-released and was enjoying it...up until I wasn't able to log in for a week straight.  They increased their server capacity but I never went back.  I still have the PS3 Limited Edition sealed.  I've moved on to Elder Scrolls Online now, but I still downloaded this just in case.  Thank you OP.

Downloaded this "Full Game" for free. Won't know it till I try it on my PS4 when I get it during the holidays...unless I can wait for FFXV or KH3 to come out.

It was the same on PS3. The beta client is the full game client. But to play it after the beta period you will need to actually pay the fee.

According to a question posted on the official playstation blog

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/08/playstation-store-update-337/

-----------------------------

dfoz3 on April 8th, 2014 at 2:07 pm said:

Can you please explain what is going on with Final Fantasy 14!! I want to get this for the PS4 but just want to buy it on PSN, now it shows up as free to download. Does this mean I don’t need to buy it or do I need to actually buy it from a 3rd party retailer?? Also, under price changes it shows as dropping from 39.99 to 24.99 but doesn’t state what platform. Someone please clarify this a bit, thanks!!

+ Kristine Steimer on April 8th, 2014 at 2:52 pm said:

My understanding with FF14 is that you can download it for free on PS4 but you still have to pay their monthly subscription fee. The price changes in this document reflect price drops on the PS3 versions. Hope that helps!

+ Kristine Steimer on April 8th, 2014 at 3:07 pm said:

Got a bit more clarification from the store team, it seems like this download for PS4 is just the client, so you will need an account for the game to be able to play.

Still a free game with a monthly sub
It's not free. If you don't have an existing PS3 license to transfer over, you'll have to pay the $39.99 or whatever it is, to get a license to play the PS4 version. The initial purchase comes with 30 days' subscription, after which you start paying the monthly sub.

If you do download the client in advance and then buy a retail copy, you'll just have to enter the license code in the box to start playing. You don't have to touch the disc because all it does is install the client.

The free game is meant to be downloaded in preparation for the early access. And from what I know the early access can only be participated in once you've redeemed the early access preorder code. On the 14th everyone will be required to either transfer their ps3 license or buy a ps4 copy for a ps4 license. The one benefit is basically that you won't be required to download the game all over again on the 14th.

How do you transfer the license from PS3, or does it happen automatically / is tied to your PSN ID?
You can't transfer your license until the 14th, when the game actually releases on the PS4. From what I read it's something you do on the Mog Station site.

It is really wonky the way they are releasing this. This download is only for the client though. You still need to buy a physical version of the game to get the license.

EDIT: I still downloaded it too though, just to be safe. ;)

EDIT 2: If you own the ps3 version of the game you can upgrade to ps4 for free per SE's website. They just dropped the price of the ps3 version on psn to 24.99 as well. This appears to be the cheapest way to get the game on ps4.
The question is if you buy the PS3 version and then transfer to the PS4 version do you lose your free month? I'm guessing yes - would explain the $15 drop in price, because you'll be paying it anyone for your first month.

And S-E has said on their site that you can start transferring your PS3 license to the PS4 on the 11th.

downloaded the client last night, it updated "ffxivboot" then went onto a maintenance page. i just want this stupid thing updated for when it launches on the 14th.

I still can't believe Squeenix has the balls to charge retail for a game that has a monthly fee.
Yeah? Seems pretty fair considering we have gotten every single expansion for free. Also how damn fun the game is. I'm subbed all the way into June.

And apparently its successful, as they have stated so numerous times.

The full game isn't free at all. This is just the client that was available last week in preparation for the second phase of the PS4 beta and is still available in advance of the Early Access period that begins on 4/11, which is only available for those that pre-order the game. The client only needs an update or two to be ready for launch day when you purchase your copy of the game, but you still need to purchase a copy of the game to do anything with it whether you get a physical or digital version of the game or do the one-time transfer of the license from a PS3 copy of the game. When launch day arrives, the "free" version on the PS Store will go up to $39.99 to get the actual full game.

Details on the transfer program:

The transfer service is scheduled to begin Friday, April 11th, 2014. Please be aware that after transferring to the PS4 you’ll be unable to play the PS3 version using your existing copy. Users who wish to play using both the PS3 and PS4 are required to purchase the PS4 version separately. Users who own multiple service accounts for the PS3 can transfer all accounts to the PS4. Users transferring their accounts will have access during the early access period, scheduled from April 11th to the 13th. Please note: to transfer your PS3 account, you must have logged into it from a PS3 at least once.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/02/12/final-fantasy-xiv-hits-ps4-april-14th-beta-details-new-trailer/

More details here and more pre-order/early access info here.

The question is if you buy the PS3 version and then transfer to the PS4 version do you lose your free month? I'm guessing yes - would explain the $15 drop in price, because you'll be paying it anyone for your first month.

And S-E has said on their site that you can start transferring your PS3 license to the PS4 on the 11th.
You don't loose the 30 days. The accounts are linked. I have a PC/PS3 and soon PS4 version on my account. If you transfer the license you will lose access to the PS3 version but the game time will continue.

Heck. With this, I may just buy the ps3 version on newegg for $20 and then transfer to the ps4. Save myself $20

I played a couple hours of the beta. Didn't have a minute of fun. Small, almost unreadable text. Clunky menus. Confusing UI. Guild Wars 2 is still the only MMO my brain can handle lol...unless you count Planetside 2 as a legit MMO

Hey guys just noticed the game is free on the psn store..not sure if its an error or not, there is a $15 monthly fee but for those who are gonna buy it for 39.99 anyways free is always better...seems to be the full version 11.3 GB and doesn't say anything about a beta in the description..

Yes..I Know we have a psn thread but I thought this probably deserved its own thread.
FFXIV: A Realm Reborn for the PS4 is free while the physical copies cost you?

Confused unless the physical/paid copies come with a free month.

I won't be surprised if someone here is going to create a thread saying "FINAL FANTASY XIV (PS4)- FREE AT PLAYSTATION STORE!"

That post of mine was from the PSN thread. I knew it was inevitable LOL

I played a couple hours of the beta. Didn't have a minute of fun. Small, almost unreadable text. Clunky menus. Confusing UI. Guild Wars 2 is still the only MMO my brain can handle lol...unless you count Planetside 2 as a legit MMO
You can increase the UI size, there are actually 3 sizes and it increases the font by doing this. The game is actually real good and this is coming from someone who is burnt out on mmo's.

I still can't believe Squeenix has the balls to charge retail for a game that has a monthly fee.
Not meaning to Whiteknight the game, as I loathe monthly fees, but FF14 was on sale for $10 on PSN a few months back ($20 now?) and the PS3 to PS4 upgrade license is free. Not to mention both versions were $40 at max.

Now let's add Elder Scrolls Online to the discussion and that is $60-$100 (if you want the extra race) before monthly fees.

bread's done
Back