Nintendo Wii U Fit Meter $10.00 Amazon

Do you still get the game for free if you sync this with wii fit u or is that long past?
You do. I downloaded the trial version on release day and booted it up for the first time two weeks ago. It says I have 17 days left and to register a Fit Meter to continue using it after the trail period ends. So you'll be fine.

*Ahem...*

Grabbed a couple from Wal-Mart for my niece and myself for Site-to-Store Pickup. Will have my digital version synced by next week! ;)

Do you still get the game for free if you sync this with wii fit u or is that long past?
Only if you already downloaded the trial version, like OldSchoolGaming4Life did. I never got around to downloading it and it doesn't look like it's available anymore, and the digital download is $30. So you're only saving $10 off of buying the physical bundle of the game and meter since they don't sell the physical game by itself. Personally I'm going to pass on this until the physical bundle goes on clearance or gets Black Friday'd.

Thanks, OP!

Wife and I both have one. Got the digital version of the game free with it. Ordering an extra for a kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 30 days were up long ago, but when I boot the game it says to sync a meter to play.  Good deal, OP!

Should be long past. If you downloaded the trial version way back when and never used it then it may work?

Guys, keep in mind this meter is absolute shit. The worst I've ever seen, and that's really saying something. If you are buying it to unlock WiiU, fine. But if you are buying it expecting a functional meter with any sort of real accuracy, you are gonna get screwed.

Last edited:
Should be long past. If you downloaded the trial version way back when and never used it then it may work?

Guys, keep in mind this meter is absolute shit. The worst I've ever seen, and that's really saying something. If you are buying it to unlock WiiU, fine. But if you are buying it expecting a functional meter with any sort of real accuracy, you are gonna get screwed.
Shit, picked up 2,one for me and one for the wife. Thought it might be fun to have a little competition. I guess if they are too crap I could always get $20 back from reselling them..

Shit, picked up 2,one for me and one for the wife. Thought it might be fun to have a little competition. I guess if they are too crap I could always get $20 back from reselling them..
Not sure why you would want to pawn them off on some other poor soul..... and profit off of it no less. Seems pretty sleazy to me......

I would just use it to unlock Wii FitU (assuming that even still works) then try to get a refund.

Last edited:
Didn't realize this was a new sale, was looking at this yesterday. XD
I wonder if the price drop is making room for those red & green ones being sold separately in Japan & the UK. It bothers me the green only comes in the bundles..I want the green one lol.

You sure about that? I remember reading articles on the pokewalker,which is essentially the same thing, was a beter pedometers than actual pedometers. I'm convinced its actually using the same casings as well. They look nearly identical, I don't see why they would downgrade the tech.

http://kotaku.com/5792648/pokewalker-more-accurate-than-other-pedometers-in-university-study

I'm curious on your sources/evidence.

You sure about that? I remember reading articles on the pokewalker,which is essentially the same thing, was a beter pedometers than actual pedometers. I'm convinced its actually using the same casings as well. They look nearly identical, I don't see why they would downgrade the tech.

http://kotaku.com/5792648/pokewalker-more-accurate-than-other-pedometers-in-university-study

Yeah idk why they wouldn't go and get the same basic one that they gave out as a pack in for a Pokemon game.

Anyway yeah if you already downloaded the Wii Fit trial version you should still be able to sync up a meter and get it unlocked. That's what I did for my dad who was using it in late March. Also you should have DL'd it anyway since it gave you 10 free club Nintendo coins.

I've been using the pedometer for months now and it is not junk it is very good. The steps are accurate and the altitude is great too. I walk daily on a trail with many hills and it shows it correctly as well as the mileage when you sync it up with the game. The only thing that isn't accurate is the temperature since it is so close to your body it seems to measure your body heat. So far I've lost 20 lbs using the pedometer, wii fit u, and eating right. It really does help, main thing it does for me is motivate me and it's a great tool to keep track and set goals.

Not sure why you would want to pawn them off on some other poor soul..... and profit off of it no less. Seems pretty sleazy to me......

I would just use it to unlock Wii FitU (assuming that even still works) then try to get a refund.
Profit? 2 X $10 is $20. Most people sell their semi useful possessions they don't use/want anymore. Seems sleezy to me using an item and trying to return it to the place of purchase.

Profit? 2 X $10 is $20. Most people sell their semi useful possessions they don't use/want anymore. Seems sleezy to me using an item and trying to return it to the place of purchase.
I think he thought you were going to sell for 20 dollars each.

Looks like they sold out.  When I followed the link, it lists them as being sold by someone listed as 40K Items on Sale for $17.50, not $10.

Which is a bummer, as I lost mine during my commute and was hoping to get one for me and a second one for the wife.  Oh, well.

EDIT: Scratch that: they're sold-out, but there's a link on the side of the page to the sold-out Amazon $10 version.  You can still order them, you just have to wait for them to get more in.

The sources are my personal experience with the device, and the posts from sites like GameFAQs when the meter first came out. If you are asking for a specific article, I don't know of any that review it on it's own merits, just a quick blurb on the game's review. As far as the article you shared, I'd be interested in what the other pedometers tested were. And yeah, I still found the pokewalker rather inaccurate, only it gave me credit for a lot more steps than I took as opposed to the Wii Fit Meter which mostly seems to shortchange me. I should probably note that I usually kept it in my pocket though, while I keep the WiiU Fit Meter on my belt.

As far as the WiiU pedometer goes, let's start with the distance traveled. I walk/jog a trail near my home at least 3-4 times a week. The trail is EXACTLY 3 miles, which totals EXACTLY 6 miles when you count the return trip. I have measured it myself with other pedometers and even my smartphone's GIS (admittedly not very accurate but still) and never got a measurement outside the range of 5.95-6.05. Now, factoring the distance to/from the nearest parking lot, I'm going about 6.5 miles a day.

To this day, the WiiU pedometer has NEVER given me a measurement close to that, and is usually off by as much as 10%. That's pretty damn inaccurate. Now I've never actually tried to count the steps, so in the meters defense those may or may not be right, but that's irrelevant to me anyways. I've tried this over smaller trails and gotten similar results, there's usually a difference as much as +/- 10%. It's not the most inaccurate device I've ever used (though it is the most inaccurate in recent memory), but it's bad. And no, I'm not taking giant colossial leaps or microscopic tiptoe steps, my stride is pretty normal, and I've never had problems calculating distance before.

The altitude measurements is where this device really falls into the PoS catagory. I've never gotten anything that I would classify as even remotely right. This meter would have me believe that I'm constantly dropping off cliffs between 200-300 ft, even when walking in the same room. I know you can 0 it out, but that hardly matters when it constantly rises/drops again. In this regard, the meter is completely broken and is completely worthless. I've never had this problem with my other devices that measured altitude so I know it can be done.

I've also noticed that this often screws up the calorie count. When I haven't even put the thing on my belt and it says I've already burned 50+ calories, that's a problem.
The thermometer is junk too. When wearing it, I've had temperature differences of 20 degrees (and not due to body heat, unless my body temperature is somehow magically lower than what's outside). When I just leave it on my desk or something it seems to do a bit better, but it still never gives me a measurement within 5 degrees of the actual temperature.

It keeps time accurately if that matters to you at all :D/

I will also say that the way the thing constantly beeps is annoying and I can't figure out WTF they mean. It does play a little fanfare when it says I've reached my calorie goal for the day (which you can't seem to manually change BTW, another problem in my book) but it also makes little beeps or fanfare a ton before/after that and I can't figure out why. It's not milestones on steps or calories (unless these milestones are set at random numbers) but it does get a bit annoying when it happens so often.

I could go on with other complaints based more on missing features, the lack of customization, and how badly riding in a car/bus will screw your readings up (even if you lay the meter flat in a cup holder or something) but hopefully I've covered enough.

I thought at first my meter was broken, but exchanging it did nothing. A quick search on the web and on forums found multiple complaints exactly like mine, so unless the entire first shipment was bad (I was a day 1 buyer) it's not broken, it's just junk.

I've been using the pedometer for months now and it is not junk it is very good. The steps are accurate and the altitude is great too. I walk daily on a trail with many hills and it shows it correctly as well as the mileage when you sync it up with the game. The only thing that isn't accurate is the temperature since it is so close to your body it seems to measure your body heat. So far I've lost 20 lbs using the pedometer, wii fit u, and eating right. It really does help, main thing it does for me is motivate me and it's a great tool to keep track and set goals.
Funny you mention that the altitude is great, as that is calculated with the temperature (which does impact the pressure) so if you are having problems with one you should have problems with the other. And I know this argument has been done to death: Yeah, Wii Fit can help you lose weight. So can virtually anything else if you eat right and move. But Wii Fit still isn't as effective as, say, a walk in the park.

Don't get me wrong, the game can be fun (when it works; any intern in the medical field will tell you that running in place for any length of time often does more harm than good, and I've grown to despise the broken "advanced" obstacle course :boxing: ). But let's not pretend it's anywhere close to a real workout. Unless you are spending hours with the game and minutes on the trail, the bulk of your progress has most likely been from the trail. The game doesn't even hide this, as even with the meter's discrepancies in distance it always says I'm buring roughly 5x the calories than I am with the same amount of time dedicated to the game itself.

If nothing else though I do like the graphs it keeps, but I do wish the game would have an option to filter or average out weights/calories/ect by weeks or months though. Anybody in the fitness world will tell you that weighing yourself on a daily basis is meaningless, you aren't supposed to weigh in more than once a week if you want any sort of accurate idea on your progress. Telling people to weigh in everyday is just a bad idea.

My mistake, I thought you meant sell it for $20 each. As for using/returning it, that may be so, but I'm not losing any sleep over it with their profits and government nonsense. While Amazon isn't quite so bad as say Wal-Mart they seem to be getting there. If nothing else I'm tired of every collector's edition (or most anything else that isn't a game/movie/cd for that matter) being beat up to hell because Amazon can't be bothered to pack their shipments properly, and the abysmal service I get whenever I don't have an active Prime membership (such as, on pre-orders, Primers who pre-ordered right before the deadline getting their crap before mine has even left the warehouse, even when I pre-order months in advance).

And on a more personal note, I don't think I'm happy with their plans for Comixology either :cry: Here's hoping what I've read turns out to be rumor.

Last edited:
Looks like they sold out. When I followed the link, it lists them as being sold by someone listed as 40K Items on Sale for $17.50, not $10.

Which is a bummer, as I lost mine during my commute and was hoping to get one for me and a second one for the wife. Oh, well.

EDIT: Scratch that: they're sold-out, but there's a link on the side of the page to the sold-out Amazon $10 version. You can still order them, you just have to wait for them to get more in.
They're at Walmart for $10. Or price match at Target. I just price matched it & the board (needed the board, it's an early Mother's Day gift she wanted. Breaking it in now).
Also used the cartwheel coupon for 10% off the bundle.

@rcerboss

Sounds like your altitude is definitely way off mine is not like that at all. I find mine to be constant most of the day and only changing slightly because of weather and of course when I do have actual altitude changes. It does use a pressure sensor so yes temperature will make a difference since it is related. The formula they use is obviously not going to be precise since it revolves around what gases are in the air which is always a rough estimate and the sensor is not as precise or this thing would cost in the hundreds. I usually see my temperature ranging from 70-80 degrees and it's been around in the 50s so it's not tremendously inaccurate and I believe it is effected by body temperature but your body temperature for the most part is constant and you have to make sure to calibrate it by pressing both arrows before going on walks etc. to really get accurate results. The main thing that is great about this meter is the acceleration sensor so you can see the intensity if your walking and I find it to be very accurate. I find that weeks where I do my 10000 steps a day I'm losing weight and other weeks where I'm slacking I either stay the same or lose only a little. I'm seeing progress from the results of the meter. You are right the walking is what's working for me right now but having wii fit u is encouraging me to do those walks. I try to do an hour or so activity on the game and that only burns 250 calories or around there and that's comparable to the almost two hour walk I'm doing for 400 calories. So I feel like it's reasonable compared to walking. It's definitely not a tool to just rely on that but it is better then sitting on the couch all day playing video games for people who only want to use the game.

Also I want to add I got the meter in the bundle with the balance board it seems to be better made in my opinion then the black one on amazon. Could be a difference in the two not sure.

Does this include a footpod?  From my experience in using various GPS running watches and pedometers with or without footpods, a pedometer with a footpod is one of the most accurate ways I have measured my runs.  I'm often running through the woods where GPS will get spotty, but I've been impressed enough with my garmin footpod device that I've used it exclusively for the last few years. 

@rcerboss

Sounds like your altitude is definitely way off mine is not like that at all. I find mine to be constant most of the day and only changing slightly because of weather and of course when I do have actual altitude changes. It does use a pressure sensor so yes temperature will make a difference since it is related. The formula they use is obviously not going to be precise since it revolves around what gases are in the air which is always a rough estimate and the sensor is not as precise or this thing would cost in the hundreds. I usually see my temperature ranging from 70-80 degrees and it's been around in the 50s so it's not tremendously inaccurate and I believe it is effected by body temperature but your body temperature for the most part is constant and you have to make sure to calibrate it by pressing both arrows before going on walks etc. to really get accurate results. The main thing that is great about this meter is the acceleration sensor so you can see the intensity if your walking and I find it to be very accurate. I find that weeks where I do my 10000 steps a day I'm losing weight and other weeks where I'm slacking I either stay the same or lose only a little. I'm seeing progress from the results of the meter. You are right the walking is what's working for me right now but having wii fit u is encouraging me to do those walks. I try to do an hour or so activity on the game and that only burns 250 calories or around there and that's comparable to the almost two hour walk I'm doing for 400 calories. So I feel like it's reasonable compared to walking. It's definitely not a tool to just rely on that but it is better then sitting on the couch all day playing video games for people who only want to use the game.

Also I want to add I got the meter in the bundle with the balance board it seems to be better made in my opinion then the black one on amazon. Could be a difference in the two not sure.
All I know for sure is that mine isn't the only one with these problems by a long shot. I see them mentioned in a few reviews on Amazon too now that I look (along with issues of battery life, which hasn't been an issue with me). I have the black one bought separately if that makes a difference at all.

I am interested in this acceleration sensor you mentioned. I remember seeing charts on the WiiU measuring your intensity, but it looked like it was simply measuring steps over time. Is there a way for the meter to display the intensity of your movements (aside from that tiny, nearly unreadable graph), and if so how do I get it? I don't remember seeing anything like that on the meter itself but without a proper instruction manual the thing has been a pain to figure out.

Does this include a footpod? From my experience in using various GPS running watches and pedometers with or without footpods, a pedometer with a footpod is one of the most accurate ways I have measured my runs. I'm often running through the woods where GPS will get spotty, but I've been impressed enough with my garmin footpod device that I've used it exclusively for the last few years.
No footpod, no GPS. It's identical to the Pokewalker, just clip it to your belt and walk.

Last edited:
@rcerboss

The acceleration sensor is what they use for the METs which calculate the calories burned. It is the graph on the pedometer itself but it's also in better detail on the graphs on the game. I believe it's represented by the color of the bars on the bar graph trying to remember it off the top of my head. What they did was several tests of various activities and they recorded and analyzed the results from the acceleration sensor and then came up with the correlation to METs. I remember reading an article on this think it was an Iwata asks article and the team they hired was Panasonic to help develop the meter and they all had to run up and down stairs etc and they said they were exhausted everyday just trying to get data for this thing lol. I also remember them saying the pressure sensor was added in and was just used as an extra feature if anything since they said that weather effects the results it was more of a tool just to gauge in your everyday activities.

@jcman7

It was a iwata ask. I found the transcript when I was researching the game. I do not remember word for word, but it is easy to look up I'm sure.

I have however noticed the meter does in fact seem to be working differently than the green one bundled with the system. I literally sat still, with it in my lap pushing buttons for a few seconds & supposedly lost a calorie lol. Then while laying down it showed the elevation decreasing.
Seems the none-bundled ones may be defected. I will test it out more.

Also to the poke-walker comments: I fully believed the poke-walker to be the same case as the meter but the meter is actually slightly smaller with a better LCD screen. Buttons are better as well, not easily pushed down while doing other things (which always bothered me personally, as suddenly I'd hear a beeping while bending over to get a textbook at school).

@jcman7
It was a iwata ask. I found the transcript when I was researching the game. I do not remember word for word, but it is easy to look up I'm sure.
I have however noticed the meter does in fact seem to be working differently than the green one bundled with the system. I literally sat still, with it in my lap pushing buttons for a few seconds & supposedly lost a calorie lol. Then while laying down it showed the elevation decreasing.
Seems the none-bundled ones may be defected. I will test it out more.
Also to the poke-walker comments: I fully believed the poke-walker to be the same case as the meter but the meter is actually slightly smaller with a better LCD screen. Buttons are better as well, not easily pushed down while doing other things (which always bothered me personally, as suddenly I'd hear a beeping while bending over to get a textbook at school).
That would seem to be the case then cause my green one works perfectly I haven't noticed any changes while sitting. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a difference. I've see the green ones being sold on ebay so if anyone really wants to try that one they seem to be selling for the initial price of $20. I wonder if they were manufactured differently, I don't know why there would be a difference but it does seem like that could be the case. Does anyone else have a green one and see it being inaccurate (besides the temperature)?

That would seem to be the case then cause my green one works perfectly I haven't noticed any changes while sitting. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a difference. I've see the green ones being sold on ebay so if anyone really wants to try that one they seem to be selling for the initial price of $20. I wonder if they were manufactured differently, I don't know why there would be a difference but it does seem like that could be the case. Does anyone else have a green one and see it being inaccurate (besides the temperature)?
The green one definitely seems to be more accurate so far, but I realize now the altitude probably changed due to the pressure outside. It was storming terribly & since I was sitting by our drafty front door that probably affected it. The game actually says this can happen when sitting still, so I guess it's not so much a defect as it is dependent on where you live. As this was mainly (probably only) tested in Japan, maybe it just isn't meant to work in certain places with different climate than Japan.
Just a theory though.
The pedometer seems to be working fine for me, so no complaints here minus the altitude changes. And I don't really care about that. :)

The green one definitely seems to be more accurate so far, but I realize now the altitude probably changed due to the pressure outside. It was storming terribly & since I was sitting by our drafty front door that probably affected it. The game actually says this can happen when sitting still, so I guess it's not so much a defect as it is dependent on where you live. As this was mainly (probably only) tested in Japan, maybe it just isn't meant to work in certain places with different climate than Japan.
Just a theory though.
The pedometer seems to be working fine for me, so no complaints here minus the altitude changes. And I don't really care about that. :)
Definitely storms bring a cold front which changes the atmospheric pressure so that is the reason for the change in the reading on the fit meter.

Just a theory though.
Again, this isn't a problem I've seen with other devices, at least nowhere near this level. The damn meter is jumping hundreds of feet, and you can't write off that huge a discrepancy on just the weather. Especially when every other device I've tried works so much better.

For instance, my FitBit never jumps around like that, and it never says it burns calories when it is just laying on a desk. I realize it's a much more expensive piece of equipment, but then Nintendo shouldn't be advertising that their pedometer is just as good when it so clearly isn't (not that it would be even if it did work, FitBit gives you much more information anyways).

The way I see it, I paid $20 for a digital version of Wii Fit U. Not the greatest deal in the world by a long shot but I can live with it. Had I bought a 2nd meter for someone else then I'd be royally pissed.

Last edited:
I've found the step counter to be eerily accurate. Where does it say the distance you've traveled? I only see steps.
I don't think it does anywhere on the meter itself (something else I found majorly annoying), but when you upload the results to the game you should be able to find it on there.

Last edited:
bread's done
Back