Best Headphones?

derrtaysouth95

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey all,

Just looking for some advice.  What are the best headphones to buy for listening to music or movies on a tablet?

I've considered the Beats Solo but $200 is more than I really want to pay.  I've seen them on sale for like $100 though.

I don't really want to spend more than $100 out of pocket and I want the over the head style.  Can be either the style that rests on the ears or cups the full ear.

Beats are not best. They are not good... for the price. They are stylish and that is all. For the price your best option is the Sony MDR-7506. I have the Sony's, Denon D7000, Sony MDR-1r, Sennheiser HD650, and some others. My 2 favorite are the Sony MDR-7506 and the MDR-1r. The MDR-1r would be my top choice (I imported them from Japan), but the MDR-7506 sound just as good if not better than anything and everything I have ever used. Comfort wise they are top notch. 

Note, the Sony MDR-7506 are the same headphones they use pretty much everywhere when mastering the audio for your movie or TV show or music album. They are extremely well built and can take a beating.  Google them, you will be surprised. 

I still have my Sony MDR-v6 headphones I bought in the late 80's. I had to replace the earcups,but other than that, they are still going strong and I have never found another heaphone that I thought sounded better.

Note that many complain that these phones are too "bright" as in lacking in bass. I think that's because these phones don't add their own color to the sound and let you hear it as close to the source material as possible. Most hps these days are tuned way too much to the bass end and muddy up the sound.

Here's a good headphone guide to help you out, with in-depth descriptions of different types, price points, etc. plus links to where you can buy them:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

I recently bought the Monoprice 8323 and I love them. I did a lot of research and they are probably the best you can get for under $50, and maybe even under $100.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

Reviews are here: http://www.cnet.com/pictures/best-headphones-for-under-50-pictures/12/
I have a pair of these too and I agree they are quite good for the money, but aren't very comfortable for me (especially the headband) after longer periods of use (2+ hours). I alternate between the 8323's and the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, which are also excellent and more comfortable for larger heads. Amazon frequently has the RPHTF600-S on sale for $25-30 for the same price point as the 8323's too. For a budget pair, I'd recommend either one.

Last edited by a moderator:
^certainly has me looking at more options now which is nice.

I feel like I would prefer NON dj style headphones. So no rotating ear pieces.

Any suggestions for solid style?

I have a new pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A900X sitting around in the box. If you're interested, send me a message with a paypal/Amazon GC offer. 

My price is $115. If you've got a time machine, let me know. As it stands, I'm the cheapest price around. Now do me a favor and stop trying [and failing] to harass me in the forums and with messages just because you're angry that I wouldn't sell you them for $70 with free shipping. :-({|=

My price is $115. If you've got a time machine, let me know. As it stands, I'm the cheapest price around. Now do me a favor and stop trying [and failing] to harass me in the forums and with messages just because you're angry that I wouldn't sell you them for $70 with free shipping. :-({|=
1. no one is harassing you

2. You claim to be the cheapest, but are afraid to inform the op or other members that the product you have at hand, has dropped in price + shipping to $79

3. Not angry, like i told you before, I will not stand for someone trying to take advantage of another CAG member.

4. Here is the original pm message:

I: Hi,

I saw your post in the thread of beat headphones. I am interested in the headphones, especially if they are brand new. How does $70 sound shipped?

Thanks

You: No thanks, that's way too low of an offer.

I : they were on sale for $75 dollars recently.

You: So? I'm not a big corporation, I'm not going to sell them for the lowest price ever witnessed on the internet. $115 is my price. You clearly don't want to pay that, so let's just end it here.

I: sounds good, good luck trying to rip off another cag member. I just informed the op of the thread of the selling price.

You: You're fairly dumb if you think what I'm doing is ripping a person off. The world doesn't revolve around you. I don't exist to make your life better, especially at the expense of my own finances. Get over yourself and grow up. By the way, the lowest price an item has ever been does not set the standard for pricing. LOL! Have you been to Amazon or eBay lately? Good luck getting a pair for even $115. Christ you're clueless...

I refuse to reply to your last message.

Xbox 360 was $20 on Amazon a few weeks back; therefore anyone selling an Xbox 360 for over $20 is ripping people off. Oh man, Walmart and its $300 55" smart TVs a few months ago. Do me a favor and go get me one at Best Buy for that price, okay?

No, your logic isn't one bit flawed... :D/ Lol! The cheapest sale price in the history of a product is not the new set-in-stone standard by which all pricing should be gauged. You'd think that would be common sense. The sale you're talking about lasted about twenty minutes, by the way. For how long do you suppose that twenty minute sale should dictate the price of the item? Until you get one? These headphones aren't even produced anymore, and are sold by third party vendors, such as myself. The price is easy to find. Go to eBay or Amazon. That's your price, not some old sale that lasted for twenty minutes before stock was depleted. Seriously, how do you get through a day?

Went with the Monoprice 8323's through Buy.com/Rakuten.com purchased from their Monoprice store

Price came out to $24.99 shipped which is the cheapest I could find online anywhere.

Looking forward to getting them in.

Thanks for all of the recommendations.

And that back and forth going on above me....smh. Please keep pm drama to the pm area.

Went with the Monoprice 8323's through Buy.com/Rakuten.com purchased from their Monoprice store

Price came out to $24.99 shipped which is the cheapest I could find online anywhere.

Looking forward to getting them in.

Thanks for all of the recommendations.

And that back and forth going on above me....smh. Please keep pm drama to the pm area.
agreed, or just simply not replying back.

So the headphones I ordered on Monday arrived before noon today.

I am HIGHLY impressed with that shipping speed and also with the headphones themselves.

Thank you to those who recommended them to me.  I'm pleased with my purchase and wouldn't have found these without being pointed in that direction.

Anyone here have experience with Bose headphones? I was thinking of getting a pair of OE2i's or AE2i's for ~$90.
No highs, no lows, must be Bose.

I like the Sony MDR-7506 and MDR-1r significantly more. My co-worker traded in his Bose for the Sony's even. I tried his Bose, but they just sounded boring. I don't even know how to describe the sound.

I had Senn HD650, but didn't like them. I thought the MDR-7506 even sounded better. For the price you would think otherwise, but I imagine the Senn HD555 aren't any better. Maybe it's just my sound preference.

I'm personally a fan of the sennheiser hd25-ii. Though they might be becoming outdated, with the amperiors and such. They haven't let me down, though, and work great as a portable pair

Any quality headphones that actually fit in your pocket easily? (I've never owned a decent pair, so I'm sorry if this sounds like a dumb question). 

I bought some OE2s at Target clearnace for 75 bucks and they were stolen along with my work laptop. I'm looking to replace but don't need anything fancy. Do the porta pros seem like they would work with a little white noise from an average office environment? Not looking for fancy noise cancelation, just decent volume and comfortable fit.

Sorry to thread hijack, but does anyone have a recommendation on a set of good earbuds with Apple style jack. I like a good bass and high treble, but Skullcandy's bass is really boomy (as in reverbs at high volume).

I have a Mophie Juice Pack Plus case (and of course I would lose the adapter) but the Apple earpods slide in just fine sans adapter. Purchased a pair of Sony smartphone earbuds at Target, but alas they are L-jack shaped and require the earbud adapter. Budge is in the $20-$60 range

Any help is appreciated!

I have beats, and fuck them. I got mine on a mega discount, and they are worth about what I paid.

The Monster brand ones are just as good for half the price.

These other guys here know their shit, so listen to them.

I never could tell the difference between the sound quality of your $150 headphones and the $20 ones. I'm rocking a Chinese knockoff of the LG Tone bluetooth headset for listening to music on my phone, videos, and gaming. For the $15 I spent on them, I couldn't be more happy

I can recommend the Sony MDR-7506 & Monoprice 8323 headphones.  In fact, both sets have surprised me (the Sonys have been w/ me a while) in value & quality.  I was one to go after some more premium models when I started using DAWs, but after testing, I always stuck with the Sonys.  They are of a sturdy build, comfortable, & have replaceable ear pads (had mine a few years but not needed replaced yet.)  The sound is quite natural & uncolored compared to your avereage retail phones.

The Monoprice 8323s are just gems.  There's no way around it ... unless you have a large head.  Mono's 8323s come with 2 cords that are detachable at the left driver (one is a few ft of thin gauge wire; other is twice as long and heavier gauge non-coiled.) These are of a cheaper heavy plastic construction & I do open/close them cautiously as to not jar the pivoting mechanisms.  It seems like they could break fairly easily if not careful.  The drivers, on the other hand, are hilariously awesome!  I did a lot of research on these & some other potential budget studio/audio products Monoprice offers.  I can't help but notice that these things are so similar to their closest mainstream counterparts it's almost suspicious.  For example, they have studio monitors that bear the same construction down to screw patterns, drivers, and crossovers as other popular models offered by top brands in the industry.  Nonetheless, they sound incredible.  They are on par with the sounds of the top studio cans manufacturers & have identical drivers to boot. 

Sony MDR-7506  

Pros:  Priced under $100;  Great Sound;  Historical quality;  Replaceable ear pads

Cons:  Somewhat quiet;  maybe too flat/natural sounding for some (could sound quiet w/o amp)

Monoprice 8323

Pros:  Priced under $25 (perhaps better if you sign up w/ them and get new customer bonus) ... yes $25! 

Fairly comfortable (unless your dome is large);  Unmatched sound within $50-100 more;  Detachable cable at phones; Seriously....http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2  $25 

Cons:  Plasticy;  Non-replaceable ear pads

Edit:  Adding that the Mono's aren't great for isolation (others can hear them in the same room)/  The Sonys aren't bad at all, but in quieter situations can be heard.

I have ME Electronics A151's and love them. Very clean sound but probably won't work for people who want a lot of bass. They give you a ton ear piece options so finding a good fit shouldn't be too hard.

the problem with Beats is that even if you got it for free, people think you're one of those dumb assholes that paid full price for brand name and BASS BASS BASS.

Nobody giving the Grados any love?

I bought the hd 558s for $85 ish refurbished the other day but, of course ended up replacing the cable for $20 because the damn thing is unmanageable

Generally OP, Beats are not considered good for the price (and they hella tacky). Similar argument gets thrown at Bose, but less so due to their brand reputation and customer service.

I think the best head phones are the audio technica , I don't own them though for music my sol master tracks are awesome, and gaming/movies I use astro a40s

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pros and HD650.  Love them both.  I know this is an old thread, but it comes down to how much are you willing to spend?  The 280s can be hard for under 99 bucks usually.  The 650s tho...I got lucky and found a local seller on Amazon last weekend and paid 350 for a pair that looked like they had never been used.  A bit of warning tho, the high up you go, the more likelihood that you'll have to buy an amp or amp/DAC combo.  I plan on getting one for the 650s in a couple of months

If someone still insists on getting Beats then I suggest the newest Mixr's. I just picked up a pair on the cheap, and they compare nicely with my v-moda m-80's that I already use for daily listening with my iPhone and iPad. They cut way back on the bass with these and the sound is very even and clear. I've never owned Beats before because I was not impressed with what I heard when trying them out at Best Buy, seemed like so many better and cheaper options, but I got a deal on these and wanted to try them out. 

I also own Audio-Technica M50's, Sony MDR-V6's and Grado sr-80e's for home listening but I find them too bulky and the cords too long to take with me out in public, plus I love having the control button on the cord when out. 

bread's done
Back