Dai Gyakuten Saiban - A Meiji Ace Attorney in London

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuIdjU1I-08

http://nintendoeverything.com/new-ace-attorney-title-announced-for-3ds/
In this week's Famitsu, Capcom has announced a new Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney) game for 3DS: DaiGyakuten Saiban - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken (Grand Turnabout Trial - The Adventures of Naruhodou Ryuunosuke). Judging from the scan, it looks like they're taking a page out of the Ryu Ga Gotoku series or the Raidou Kuzunoha games, as this will take place sometime during Japan's Meiji Period (1868-1912), features a new main character (Phoenix's ancestor, defense attorney Naruhodou Ryuunosuke), and it's being directed by series creator Shu Takumi.

EDIT: In recent scans, it turns out most of the game will take place in London, where Ryuunosuke will team up with Sherlock Holmes and Iris Watson. The first case, which is in Japan, inspires Ryuunosuke to study Law, which he decides to do by going to London.

rh8epuE.jpg

EDIT: And via Court Records' Twitter, a scan showing Ryuunosuke's assistant, judicial assistant Mikotoba Susato.
47Ej5AR.jpg

Mikotoba Susato: an ideal Japanese woman (Yamato Nadeshiko), lover of foreign detectives and a progressive dreamer!
-

Last edited by a moderator:
Court Records' Twitter has been giving some details from the interview and the setting.

Why Meiji? Probably because a formal penal code was first introduced in Meiji and it marks a transition between the old and the modern.

Full title: Dai Gyakuten Saiban - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken (Grand Turnabout Trial - The Adventures of Naruhodou Ryuunosuke)

Can't read all in the scan, but Ryuunosuke is introduced as Nick's "forefather" (their quotes). Ryuunosuke is described as having a burning sense of justice and being danger-prone. Just like Nick. Things don't change after a century.

History lesson: a 'proper' defense attorney system was introduced in Japan in 1893, but attorneys had lower rank than judges and prosecutors. In short, it was the same as in the future. Poor Naruhodou family...

More history: by 1876, only former lords, military and law enforcement officals were allowed to carried swords (the Haitourei edict) Defense attorneys fell under the control of the Shihoushou (Ministry of Justice), which is why Ryuunosuke carries a sword. Probably.

Yeah, it's pretty unlikely to make it over, as Capcom may elect to avoid the potential localization hassles. It would be quite a surprise if it did, even as another eShop release.

Ah, the first Trailer's up (EDIT: A subbed version already?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuIdjU1I-08

More info from the interview, via Siliconera. The most interesting bit is that Shu Takumi and Shintaro Kojima want this to be the start of a new series.

Takumi: “It’s been a while since I’ve participated in making a new Ace Attorney game, and things are a little different from the earlier days; however, as usual, I’ll be doing my best and putting all my effort into it, so that this one [The Great Ace Attorney] won’t lose to the past games I’ve worked on.”

Kojima: “While it’s not a main-numbered Ace Attorney title, it’s the start of a new series called The Great Ace Attorney. I believe that it’s becoming something that can show that it’s not simply just a derivative title. We can’t say too much about it for the time being, but we’ll be revealing more on the characters and their backgrounds next time, which we hope you all can look forward to. It’s really becoming something that we have high expectations for, so please look forward to it!”

While this will probably be good, I want to conclude Apollo's story, dammit! >.<

Willing to bet one of the witnesses will be a Shinsengumi fan boy.

Some new scans with a lot of new information. Primarily that the first case will take place in Meiji-era Japan. It is this case that inspires Ryuunosuke to become an Ace Attorney, and to do so he travels to London to study Law, becoming acquainted with Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Iris Watson (an 8-year old with a PhD). Most of the game will take place in London. Ryuunosuke and Holmes will engage in the "Joint Reasoning" system, where Ryuunosuke challenges Holmes' quick-fire logic.

Translation/Summary (via GSR on GAF):

Full scans are out. Some more info:

• Ryuunosuke begins the game in Japan, where as a college student he’s involved in a certain case that puts him on the path to becoming a formal attorney. To better study law, he transfers to England along with Mikotoba, where he meets Holmes.
  • Most of the story will take place in London, with Japan serving as the setting for Ryuunosuke’s first case.
  • Court and investigation proceed in mostly the same way, but during investigations Ryuunosuke and Holmes will use “joint reasoning” - a system where, as Ryuunosuke, you must point out any inconsistencies in Holmes’ rapid-fire reasoning. (The example shown is Holmes accusing a witness of being a certain revolutionary.)
  • Part of the reason they settled on 3D was to allow for a very dynamic camera to match Holmes’ high-speed thinking. Takumi jokes that Holmes really set the stage for the game!
  • Takumi has a deep love of the Sherlock Holmes stories, so he’s trying to respect the character. Holmes is described as falling somewhere between the “storybook Holmes” and a “real Holmes” - a man who focuses maybe too much on his investigations, but isn’t a bad person at heart.
  • Ryuunosuke and Holmes’ meeting is a key point of the game.
Scans:
O3icbfb.jpg

H3p7BMM.jpg

-_- They seriously needed Watson to be an 8-year-old? I get making a female Watson, but at least make her a teenager

The TGS trailer has been subbed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK7vxwo6cM4

(Looks like Winston Payne's ancestor is the first case's prosecutor, of course)

-_- They seriously needed Watson to be an 8-year-old? I get making a female Watson, but at least make her a teenager
I can see this character growing up during the next games in this series if it becomes a success.

The TGS trailer has been subbed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK7vxwo6cM4

(Looks like Winston Payne's ancestor is the first case's prosecutor, of course)
It would be funny if Sherlock Holmes is the ancestor of Dick Gumshoe. Poor Gummy he's the apple that fell far away from the family tree. lol

I hope we get to see a lot more ancestors of Ace Attorney characters. The butler looking guy in the video, shown when you see Winston Payne's ancestor, reminds me of Shelly De Killer.

On a more non-jokey note, Capcom has also revealed a bunch of information in Famitsu, along with gameplay footage in the stream below (about 25 minutes in). You can check out the translation/summary in Court-Records' Twitter:

https://twitter.com/CourtRecords_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3gnGFA8O_Q

The more interesting bits of information are:

- The new prosecutor is Baroque/Brock/Barock Vanjiques/Banjicks/Van Siegs (The romaji is: Barokku Banjiitsu; There's not much consensus on his actual name, so I'll stick with Barock Van Siegs, suggested by a Dutch CR user). In the game, Barock is a legendary undefeated prosecutor (of course) who makes his return to the courtroom after he stopped practicing law 5 years ago.

- The Trials are set up a bit differently this time, as Jury trials. First you have the cross-examination segment, with the witnesses (multiple at the same time, much like PLvsAA), then you have the new Closing Arguments segment, where Ryuunosuke tries to convince the jurors directly. You don't need all jurors to agree on a Not Guilty verdict to win the case, just a majority. If all jurors vote on a Guilty verdict, you lose. One of the gameplay features for this segment is also similar to PLvsAA, as you can present assertions from one juror to another juror if there's a contradiction.

- The "Five Strikes" system returns, from the original Ace Attorney.

- The first piece of DLC is in the form of a (prequel?) episode, "Randst Magazine Special Edition," focusing on Ryuunosuke and his friend Asougi Kazuma. It'll be available for Free for the first 10 days after the game's release.

- Characters will move around the courtroom now, as the trial progresses. An example given was that Ryuunosuke himself takes the stand for the closing arguments.

Trailer from the JP Nintendo Direct!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx9-aUU1_kA

Seriously considering getting the Japanese version if no localization news comes out this year. Even if I can't read a single word of Japanese lol. I'll make it work somehow...

bread's done
Back