How do you manage your backlog/collection?

TheCrippledPizza

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
This post applies both to how you manage how many games you have that you have yet to play, and how you manage your usual collection of games, whether it be physical or digital. Personally, I've never really worried about it, which has come back to haunt me pretty badly.

I basically just avoid having one any more, and have probably never had a physical game collection above 20-30 games at any one time since I sell things after beating.

I have more of a digital backlog now thanks to PS+, but it's mostly stuff I end up trying and not liking rather than a true backlog full of stuff I'm dying to play.

Currently the only physical game I have is P4G that I'm playing on Vita, and some PS3 games I'm done with (3 or 4) that I'm just saving to pass on to a friend when I give them my PS3 after the Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us seasons.

I'm trying this gen with the PS4 to just buy a game or two at a time and not buy things just because they're cheap--so far so good on that as I have no physical games currently. I'll be getting The Show in a couple of weeks though.

Having a backlog just stresses me out as I feel pressured to rush through things and get them sold off before the value drops since I don't collect. I'm considering giving Gamefly a try over the summer when I have more gaming time, and just try renting most things and just buy things like Destiny/Borderlands type games, RPGs etc. that I play off and on for months. It gets to be a hassle to buy single player games, beat them over a couple of weeks and sell them off.

Stop buying stuff just because its cheap.  Instead, ask yourself if you see yourself playing it anytime soon (ie, is it a game you really want to play over the majority of other games in your backlog).  If its a no, leave it. 

For example, I saw the Serious Sam Collection the other day for $10.  Usually I would have picked it up because its $10 and the games aren't bad.  But, it's not  a game I would prioritize over other games in my backlog, which means it would just sit collecting dust.  So, I left it behind.  $10 isn't much, but I would rather put that toward a game I really want, then to buy a game I'm not really interested in.

When it comes to playing games, I had a method where I would play one of my oldest games first, but that just made it seem like a chore, like I was just going through the games to get through them.  Now, I just pick whichever game I want to play the most, whether its a newer game or older one.  Because I have a huge backlog though, I try to make that choice easier by focusing on one genre (e.g, rpg, 1st person, 3d person, etc), then picking a game from there.

I try to rotate a couple titles on my 360/PS3 but am avoiding a backlog on PS4/XB1 so far. Only going to buy games I'm genuinely interested in and/or can trade back quickly to recoup the costs. I also keep a spreadsheet for 360/PS3 backlogs which aren't too heavy but It's good for tracking at least.

Stop buying stuff just because its cheap. Instead, ask yourself if you see yourself playing it anytime soon (ie, is it a game you really want to play over the majority of other games in your backlog). If its a no, leave it.

For example, I saw the Serious Sam Collection the other day for $10. Usually I would have picked it up because its $10 and the games aren't bad. But, it's not a game I would prioritize over other games in my backlog, which means it would just sit collecting dust. So, I left it behind. $10 isn't much, but I would rather put that toward a game I really want, then to buy a game I'm not really interested in.
I agree with this. I finally stopped buying games that are cheap because even if it is a good price and the game is interesting, if I don't get to actually playing it then it is actually throwing money away. Plus, whatever price you see a game at it will probably hit that price point again in the time it takes to finish a huge backlog.

Most of the time I only play one game, two at max but I still buy more shit because I'm an idiot. And now I have a huge PS3 and 3DS backlog because of sales, etc. 

I basically just avoid having one any more, and have probably never had a physical game collection above 20-30 games at any one time since I sell things after beating.

I have more of a digital backlog now thanks to PS+, but it's mostly stuff I end up trying and not liking rather than a true backlog full of stuff I'm dying to play.

Currently the only physical game I have is P4G that I'm playing on Vita, and some PS3 games I'm done with (3 or 4) that I'm just saving to pass on to a friend when I give them my PS3 after the Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us seasons.

I'm trying this gen with the PS4 to just buy a game or two at a time and not buy things just because they're cheap--so far so good on that as I have no physical games currently. I'll be getting The Show in a couple of weeks though.

Having a backlog just stresses me out as I feel pressured to rush through things and get them sold off before the value drops since I don't collect. I'm considering giving Gamefly a try over the summer when I have more gaming time, and just try renting most things and just buy things like Destiny/Borderlands type games, RPGs etc. that I play off and on for months. It gets to be a hassle to buy single player games, beat them over a couple of weeks and sell them off.
Just judging from what you said, you would probably enjoy Gamefly a lot. I canceled service because I like having a large physical selection and their digital service is pretty lackluster, but their business is designed specifically with someone like you in mind.

Stop buying stuff just because its cheap. Instead, ask yourself if you see yourself playing it anytime soon (ie, is it a game you really want to play over the majority of other games in your backlog). If its a no, leave it.

For example, I saw the Serious Sam Collection the other day for $10. Usually I would have picked it up because its $10 and the games aren't bad. But, it's not a game I would prioritize over other games in my backlog, which means it would just sit collecting dust. So, I left it behind. $10 isn't much, but I would rather put that toward a game I really want, then to buy a game I'm not really interested in.

When it comes to playing games, I had a method where I would play one of my oldest games first, but that just made it seem like a chore, like I was just going through the games to get through them. Now, I just pick whichever game I want to play the most, whether its a newer game or older one. Because I have a huge backlog though, I try to make that choice easier by focusing on one genre (e.g, rpg, 1st person, 3d person, etc), then picking a game from there.
I have toned down my purchasing quite a bit recently. Your system for backlogging is pretty smart. The main issue I run into though is deciding when I am really "done" a game. For older, more linear games this isn't so much of an issue, but with newer games that have more open-ended options it can be difficult to tell when you have really finished most of the content.

Most of the time I only play one game, two at max but I still buy more shit because I'm an idiot. And now I have a huge PS3 and 3DS backlog because of sales, etc.
This is me

I have now also added this excuse to my list:
If I don't play it my daughter and future other children will

I have a problem me thinks :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use backloggery.com to keep track of what I own and have played.

For selecting my next game to play, I just choose something that I want to play regardless of how long it has been in my backlog.  I tend to switch up the genre between games to prevent burnout.

As for purchasing games, I buy what I want for a reasonable price.  I would rather get one AAA game for $20 than four $5 crappy games.  Cheap crap is still crap; it only gives you less buyer's remorse.

Don't worry too much about the size of your backlog, just acquire games that you know you will LIKE and WANT to play.  This way you will look forward to playing them rather than feeling obligated to slog through a crappy game.

I've avoided the PS4/XB1 generation and hope that I can last until the tail end of the generation, kind of like now with PS3/360.  I think that's helped me since I have PS1 and GBA games that I have yet to complete on my physical and digtal backlog.

I avoid buying games that are more than $20, knowing it will add to the backlog.  I just wait on most titles to drop to the less than $20 price range and only buy when there's a sale.

Pre-order bonuses are the only times I ever buy full price.  It has gotten so bad that I have considered trading in the games I don't play anymore or will never get to.  Knowing I'll take a loss, just to free up some backlog space.

Am bad at managing..... I usually go through phases of wanting to play a certain games.

Other times I try to make sure I don't play the same game over and over again if I beat it. Or sometimes I like tell myself I'll play certain games this week.

It slightly works, for the most part, I think I've played 85% of my collection to some degree.

I usually will switch up genres.  I find myself getting burned out if I play too many games of the same genre consecutively unless I REALLY like a series. 

Over the past couple of days I've been realizing that my backlog is a problem only because I make it a problem.  I've been dealing with regret and anxiety with my game collection because I feel like I have to rush through, like I have to catch up for some reason.  I recently finished Asura's Wrath and REALLY enjoyed it while I was playing - got lost in the story and the over-the-top characters.  When I was done I started to regret playing it because I saw another game in my collection that I felt I should have played instead of Asura's Wrath.  Why?  Because I felt that I have to plow through my backlog and Asura's Wrath could have waited.  I starting to play Dragon Age: Origins and couldn't really get into it because the thought of starting this long game and knowing that I have several games that I haven't played yet became overwhelming.  

I have changed my perspective:  

- I have about 106 games in my backlog - 13 of those games are RPGs (keeping track on Howlongtobeat.com) that will take me days/weeks to complete, even years if I start playing Skyrim...so I've heard.  

- There are still other games on my wishlist that I have yet to purchase.  

- I'm grateful to have a large variety of games to choose from whenever I have time to play (Thanks CAG).

- I don't NEED to catch up, nor do I NEED to rush and plow through my backlog.  The games are not going to fly away.

- If I play a game, like it, and want to replay it, I will.  No deed to rush to complete a game in my collection that I have yet to play.

- I'm not concerned that I'll "never get around to playing it" because eventually I will.  I have no problem playing last gen games well into the current gen or beyond especially since this gen systems aren't backwards compatable.

- MOST IMPORTANTLY, as someone else has said, I play what I want to play - no regrets!

That being said, I enjoy these boards, especially the backlog support group thread.  It's nice to post with other gamers who are in the same boat as I. :D   

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back