If someone over paid you what would you do.

slidecage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
106 (100%)
So most people know i deliver newspapers and i got hurt on the job last winter.  Well the insurance company finally settled and sent  me my  disability check. I open up the check and go, What the fuck  this isnt the right amount of cash. The check should been around 1100 and the check was about 1600. So i call up the insurance company and  ask them what is going on. They said  i was off from  DEC 28 to MARCH 31. I told them no i was off  Dec 28 to March 3 and  if i wanted i could been put on light duty  till the 31th, and they over paid like 500.  The person on the phone looked at their records and found the mistake they made and they  came back and thanked me for calling them up saying this was the first time anyone ever called up saying they were overpaid.  

So i was talking to some of my friends today and they said i was a fool calling them up, it was the insurance company mistake and they make millions of bucks  anyways  so i should of cashed the check. This is what is wrong with the country today  even though they are  now  OWED IT  they think they should be able to keep the over payment  if it was their check.

Like i said even the man i was talking to on the phone said   mostly anyone else would of just cashed the check and kept the over payment as their own.  They also said they would overnight the new check  but i told them not to worry about it and i would be happy waiting till Friday to get it 

So would you kept it or  sent it back.  Be honest   since there would be no way to really  find out what date you went back cause the doctor not said    MARCH 31  (but it said return  MARCH 3  light duty till march 31 and whoever  closed the claim too March 31 as back to work date)

Why the hell does this thread exist in Vs? This should be in the OT where EVERYONE can see!

Double irony points because slidecage has literally gone out of his way to fuck a company out of a few bucks or blame a city/state for him tripping on a crack in the sidewalk. You CAN'T make this shit up! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a quote that reads (and I'm paraphrasing) "you can judge a man's character based on what he does when no one is looking..." so just pat yourself on the back for doing the right thing.

I'd like to think I would have done the same, especially where I'm not hard pressed for money. I was at a Mom and Pop store the other day buying some video games and they have a dated point of sale system where they swipe your card and have to manually enter the amount to bill on a keypad. 

Well my total was $97.xx and they either incorrectly pressed a button or didn't press it hard enough because when I got my receipt to sign (after the transaction was finalized) the total on it was $.97. I could have walked out but they are always good to me so I pointed out their error and had them ring the correct amount minus the $.97 I already paid.

Also... it's my experience in situations like yours slidecage that sometimes these mistakes get corrected and often they will try to come back and collect the amount they overpaid and if you've already spent it (a lot of people foolishly spend checks they get in situations like this) then you might not be able to repay it---and before you say they can't force you to repay it---just look at all the cases where people had thousands of dollars deposited into their account by bank error and were still legally forced to repay it (some either charged criminally for not being able to do so)

Why the hell does this thread exist in Vs? This should be in the OT where EVERYONE can see!

Double irony points because slidecage has literally gone out of his way to fuck a company out of a few bucks or blame a city/state for him tripping on a crack in the sidewalk. You CAN'T make this shit up! :rofl:
show me how i fucked over a company for a few bucks.

Also LIke i said the city showed it was in the wrong by going out the next day and fixxing the sidewalk. and it was not a crack the sidewalk was pushed up

Was thinking OT but put it in VS so people could try to say why They would think they would have the RIGHT to keep the money

I'm the kind of guy who will tell the waitress if she forgot to add the extra cheese to my bill. ;)

So, yeah, if I had noticed it was the wrong amount, I would have said something.

I personally don't look at my checks when I receive them so I know that I would have missed this error on their part.  I've been direct deposit the last decade or so and we moved to paperless stubs (electronic) about 2 years ago and I haven't set up my user yet.

If I noticed a gross overcharge or undercharge I'd point it out or a store or if I was out to eat.

bread's done
Back