Free Comic Book Day is on May 3rd

thanks for the heads up. this will give me an excuse to go to the local comic book shop. I am sending a text to all my nieces and nephews to let them know also.

So we can just walk in, pick any one comic book and walk out? Cool
Only select free comics. The publishers put out special free issues for this day. If saturday doesn't work for you they usually have plenty of leftovers for awhile after. Last year I grabbed mine from the library where they had a display.

Thanks for the heads up. I might need to head to a store and get myself a free comic. Maybe buy one too to make up for the free one.

So we can just walk in, pick any one comic book and walk out? Cool
The store in my area lets you get more than just one. I think it was like 3 or 4 different comics per person. My guess is all stores have different limits. Possibly more if you buy something. Some stores have huge lines, while others have no lines at all. As mentioned it's only select comics. They have a bunch to choose from though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year at Mid-Town comics they had 2 comics in a bag and handed them to you as you entered. I wish i was able to choose a comic.

Stores have been quite stingy with their offerings recently. Though I wonder if it's to stop all those grown men from taking all of the comics. lol.
Grown men and women like comics too. I would bet the majority of comics are purchased by adults over the age of 18. Adults are the ones with disposable income and can actually afford the more expensive/rare comics.

Stores have been quite stingy with their offerings recently. Though I wonder if it's to stop all those grown men from taking all of the comics. lol.
If anything they are trying to stop all the young kids from taking all the comics, Free Comic Book Day is the only time of the year I see anyone under the age of 20 in most stores.

You guys have some pretty cheap stores, around here you can take as many as you want. It's 1 per person but if you want all 50 (or however many there is this year) you can take them. Although most people seem to be spending $100 or more.

I skimmed the list and nothing really pops out as must have this year, but there is usually some surprise I find on FCBD. At the very least there's always Tick and the Bongo Free for All and some good sales to bring me out.

Bongo Comics deserves to be more popular, since I find that I now enjoy the comic stories more than the tv show. It is both funny and sad to see the company get mocked regularly on the Simpsons, since most viewers who claim to be fans of the show don't give a crap about the comics.

But one thing you learn is that you don't fuck with Archie Comics. They are everywhere in the world, even moreso than your Marvel or DC.

If your looking to buy some comics tomorrow with your free comics check with 2nd & Charles. They are having buy 5 get 5 FREE on comics.

Now that I'm in Charlotte, my local comic store is Heroes...I went in 2013 and it was extremely crowded to the point I became claustrophobic - people will bump into you, cut in front of you, or reach over you to grab comics - just so many people for such a small area (and parking is not ideal).  So...that was it for me.  I just get the five free ones DCBS provides with online orders.

Bongo Comics deserves to be more popular, since I find that I now enjoy the comic stories more than the tv show. It is both funny and sad to see the company get mocked regularly on the Simpsons, since most viewers who claim to be fans of the show don't give a crap about the comics.
I think it's because the stories are from comic writers and not TV show writers. I enjoy both, but I noticed my favorite stories are written by Ian Boothby. In fact, he did the hilarious Treehouse of Horror issue with The Simpsons version of Death Note. I should also mention I feel the same way about Futurama.

When it comes to FCBD, I road trip and try to drop at least $5 per store (cash, not credit. One store a few years ago was thrilled when I did that.) since I know they actually pay for these free books. If I can't find back issues I want, I try to find a one shot on the new release wall. Plus every store does something different so exploring is part of the fun (I tend to hit 5-6 stores).

My favorite store, Tate's, should be cool. Seriously, they are pumping an A/C system through their outside tent this year.

Apparently Heroclix has shipped Batman and Joker FCBD 2014 statuettes. They look cool, check for participating businesses.

Excited to go to my store today. They always have 1 dollar comics in the middle to go through. A new batman comic starts today that's first issue is free written by jeff lemire. Good year.

Went to a few stores today, should've waited longer at Forbidden Planet but was so impatient that I should've realized that I had a pretty long wait at JHU near Koreatown.I regret not getting the Street Fighter one, and I foolishly got two Rocket Raccoon. D'oh!

I highly recommend getting Showa by Shigeru Mizuki, a tale of about Japanese soldiers in WWII. It doesn't glorify anything, as Mizuki stories go, rather giving a sordid look into life on the frontlines.

Did anyone find Ralph in the Sergio Aragones picture in the Bongo issue?

I went. Not too busy. Got my free comics and bought a few more to go along with it. I also got some free hard cover Mouse Guard book that they put in my bag at the check out.

mouseguard.jpg

They had Drew Geraci there signing posters.

poster.jpg

I ended up buying more comics than I got free ones, lol. One of the 2 stores I went to had a bunch of back issues for 50 cents each so I had a field day. Bummed I didn't find the free 2000AD comic though, got pretty much everything I wanted otherwise.

I went because my girlfriend read that one of the comics was a Tick issue. Must have all Tick Things.

Ended up buying a Mass Effect TPB. When I went to half priced books, they had free comics there too. Johnny the Homicidal Manic #1 for the girlfriend, and a couple Neon Genesis Evangelion books for myself!

Went to 3 stores. First store let people grab 5 comics and the other 2 let you grab 2. Ended up with:

Rocket Raccoon
guardians of the Galaxy
Smurfs
Sonic the Hedgehog/MegaMan
Simpsons/Futurama
power rangers
Uncle Scrooge and Donald
The Tick
manga sampler

Didn't end up buying anything as I'm not a huge comic collector. Used to have a bunch of comics growing up as a kid that I sadly don't have anymore though. Most got ruined. I have the two Walking Dead compendiums and am thinking of getting the Sin City graphic novels and maybe some big compelation books of other series but getting individual issues just isn't my thing anymore.

I ended up buying more comics than I got free ones, lol. One of the 2 stores I went to had a bunch of back issues for 50 cents each so I had a field day. Bummed I didn't find the free 2000AD comic though, got pretty much everything I wanted otherwise.
I ended up getting the 2000AD for free, but this year they went from 50 cents each on the back issues to 1.00, so I skipped out on that.

Excited to go to my store today. They always have 1 dollar comics in the middle to go through. A new batman comic starts today that's first issue is free written by jeff lemire. Good year.

Aaron Lopresti is the guy who does he penciling for that series and he was at my shop so I got it signed :D

I ended up getting 14 free issues (store added in some Image 1 for $1 and DC Essentials to the free piles). Then I spent about $120. Good day.

The Mouse Guard Hardcover is actually the second one, two years ago they put a similar one out. I'm surprised they put that out again, has to be expensive.

bread's done
Back