Turtle Rock Studios Community Manager Fired Over Sterling Tweet

He's not supporting Sterling. He's saying Sterling has the right to have an opinion. There's a huge difference.

He's not supporting Sterling. He's saying Sterling has the right to have an opinion. There's a huge difference.
edited title thank you. Although saying 'he's a victim" sounds like he supports at least Sterling's free speech.... Just sad because Sterling's got billions and could care less about this guy... And this guy loses his job over it. Not that I can argue with turtle rock... I mean, this guy's the community manager. He should know better... Even on his personal account he still represents turtle rock..

Well he's saying hes a victim because his conversations were recorded illegally. In CA its illegal to record someone if they don't know they're being recorded which I doubt Sterling knew.

fuck your civil rights when it comes to outing bigots amirightamerica?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well he's saying hes a victim because his conversations were recorded illegally. In CA its illegal to record someone if they don't know they're being recorded which I doubt Sterling knew.

fuck your civil rights when it comes to outing bigots amirightamerica?
Except it wasn't recorded illegally and Sterling did know but fuck fact checking right?

that would be ya know the source that broke it all and caused the over reaction.

but excuse me too i also passed gas while writing a shitty post.

There has not been anything released (so far) that definitely shows that Sterling knew he was being recorded. V. Stiviano claims she was solely working as Sterling's archivist, and that she routinely recorded their conversations.

It's a shame to see a good dev lose a community manager over this, but as a community manager you have to know better than to say anything controversial like that in public/on the internet. If you want to blow off steam about something like that, make an alt account that's not traceable back to you and say what you wanna say.

As for the whole Sterling thing, yeah, he's a bigoted asshole like a million other people in this fine country of ours. What matters isn't necessarily what he thinks, but what he does about what he thinks, especially in his position.

If all he ever did was make comments in private, then yeah, he's a "victim" by being taped supposedly without his knowledge, and the leaking of the tape is most likely to do with whatever legal battle he was in with his mistress. She played dirty, and that's wrong, even if the guy has scummy opinions. However, based on what's being said this is not an isolated incident, and he's done discriminatory things. In which case, the action being taken against him should correlate to whatever he did, with the tape solely being used as evidence in that.

Basically, nothing should come of of the tape in itself, aside from an investigation into any possible discriminatory practices the man may have committed. But the NBA would rather throw him under the bus immediately than give it any sort of investigation first because if they don't, public opinion towards them will sour more than it already has, and if a proper investigation was launched, it's possible they could find dirty laundry of other NBA owners who have similar views, or exposing this as an association-wide attitude. The media is quick to throw him under the bus because ratings/viewership, so with both the NBA and the media doing so, the guy's already lost in the court of public opinion, whether he ever treated a minority unfairly or not. What a mess, the guy has shitty opinions, and I'm not sure if he ever did anything with them, but I do know he's done some positive things and our private thoughts have no place being penalized on their own.

This is the least productive argument ever. You are all missing three words: IT DOESN'T MATTER. Donald Sterling isn't being tried in any kind of court for these comments, he's being kicked out of the NBA which is a private organization and is free to give the boot to whom ever they feel like doesn't adequately represent the organization or violates their code of conduct, etc. The sale of the team has to follow the NBA's own rules & by-laws set for owners, but all the steps taken so far the NBA is perfectly within it's own right as an organization to ban him no matter how the information got out. You could even argue that the NBA did its own due process (which in this case would be their only real obligaiton under their own rules) when they conducted an investigation and Sterling admitted to the comments. Not to mention he opts into all the NBA rules & regs when he buys the team including the fact that as an owner he's the main person represents his team and the league therefore conduct deemed damaging to the league can result in a suspension/ban. Whether or not you think he's a victim of blackmail or whatever from that alien/human hybrid member of Daft Punk is technically and legally irrelevant to his punishment. Also, the NBA commish was no doubt looking at his track record on this issue including the legal troubles and lawsuits on discrimination when handing down this punishment which again it has every right to do so, it's not a court of law.

It's not a free speech or constitutional issue here and to argue such means you need to study up on what those are and what the actual legal protections they afford you. The 1st amendment says nothing about protecting your position in an organization, your job, etc. nor was it ever designed to do as such. Bottomline, yes he has the right to racist opinions and the NBA has every right to boot him out the league for life once they proved he made those comments. Additionally this company is perfectly within it's right to fire this manager for expressing his opinion on social media about the situation...

Basically, nothing should come of of the tape in itself, aside from an investigation into any possible discriminatory practices the man may have committed. But the NBA would rather throw him under the bus immediately than give it any sort of investigation first because if they don't, public opinion towards them will sour more than it already has, and if a proper investigation was launched, it's possible they could find dirty laundry of other NBA owners who have similar views, or exposing this as an association-wide attitude. The media is quick to throw him under the bus because ratings/viewership, so with both the NBA and the media doing so, the guy's already lost in the court of public opinion, whether he ever treated a minority unfairly or not. What a mess, the guy has shitty opinions, and I'm not sure if he ever did anything with them, but I do know he's done some positive things and our private thoughts have no place being penalized on their own.
This is horribly inaccurate. Don't forget there was a whole week or so between his punishment and when the tape was released. There was an investigation by the NBA commissioner's office and Sterling admitted the comments were indeed his. Put simply he confessed to it. How much more "proper" do you need the investigation to be on the situation?

This is horribly inaccurate. Don't forget there was a whole week or so between his punishment and when the tape was released. There was an investigation by the NBA commissioner's office and Sterling admitted the comments were indeed his. Put simply he confessed to it. What more do you want on the situation?
Read the post right above this one.

I meant an investigation into whether he did anything that would be fineable/lawsuit-worthy. Like during his tenure as an owner, was he hostile to the minorities he worked with? Did he harass the players? Anything like that.

Read the post right above this one.

I meant an investigation into whether he did anything that would be fineable/lawsuit-worthy. Like during his tenure as an owner, was he hostile to the minorities he worked with? Did he harass the players? Anything like that.
All the lawsuits I've heard about do not involve these comments (not yet anyhow). They are previous suits filed before this incident. The housing discriminaition lawsuit is over 10 years old. As far as his treatment of players/Clippers staff look at the Elgin Baylor lawsuit from a few years back for your answer. That suit was eventually dropped but you could argue that with a track record of those 2 legal troubles alone the NBA could have investigated (same goes for the media). Don't forget though that the NBA League Office was run by a different commish and staff until a few months ago. Davis Stern (former commish) would fine players $100k for a homophobic gay slur, yet an owner gets 2 big discrimination lawsuits filed against (one of which was stettled, the other is from a legendary player) him and Stern didn't so much as lift a finger. Of course one could argue that David Stern and Sterling were perhaps somewhat chummy with each other too, just look at the very unusual Chris Paul trade veto from a couple years ago that obviously really helped the clippers.

As far as the fine goes, that's not a legal fine. Like the ban the fine is subject to being whatever the NBA wants it to be in this case it was the max.I am curious is he really has to pay the fine now that he was booted from the league. But my guess is he's not sweating it either way as it's like 0.01% of his personal fortune.

As far as the fine goes, that's not a legal fine. Like the ban the fine is subject to being whatever the NBA wants it to be in this case it was the max.I am curious is he really has to pay the fine now that he was booted from the league. But my guess is he's not sweating it either way as it's like 0.01% of his personal fortune.
You don't get that rich by not sweating the fine. I'm he was pissed about it.

This is horribly inaccurate. Don't forget there was a whole week or so between his punishment and when the tape was released. There was an investigation by the NBA commissioner's office and Sterling admitted the comments were indeed his. Put simply he confessed to it. How much more "proper" do you need the investigation to be on the situation?
If a whole week is 3-4 days... then yeah a "whole week" went by.

If a whole week is 3-4 days... then yeah a "whole week" went by.
Okay I admittedly was off by a couple days but not really a relevant point. Did the conversation between Sterling and Silver in which Sterling admitted the voice was his & he made those comments take 3 full days? I'm guessing no...

Again I do not see the sense in arguing about whether or not the NBA's role here was in-depth enough. It's not a murder investigation, they aren't going to call in the FBI to do a voiceprint analysis of the tape or give him a lie detector test. Especially considering Sterling admitted his violations of the same NBA by-laws he votes on each year to Silver himself.

Okay I admittedly was off by a couple days but not really a relevant point. Did the conversation between Sterling and Silver in which Sterling admitted the voice was his & he made those comments take 3 full days? I'm guessing no...

Again I do not see the sense in arguing about whether or not the NBA's role here was in-depth enough. It's not a murder investigation, they aren't going to call in the FBI to do a voiceprint analysis of the tape or give him a lie detector test. Especially considering Sterling admitted his violations of the same NBA by-laws he votes on each year to Silver himself.
It's the NBA and Silver blowing smoke to appease social media, the players and the fans. Do you really think that Sterling will finalize the sale to someone outside his family in the next six months? Year? 3 years?

What happens if next season starts and he is still technically the owner, regardless of who the NBA has brought in to run the day to day operations during his "ban"?

LOL at Sterling interview

I mean can you really dig yourself a bigger grave.... LOL

True Magic Johnson might not be the best role model and probably a liar about how he contracted HIV, but dude the guy didn't need to be bash by him

Still Magic should just admitted he did the down low, I mean its fine if he gay'ed up but please...

LOL at Sterling interview

I mean can you really dig yourself a bigger grave.... LOL

True Magic Johnson might not be the best role model and probably a liar about how he contracted HIV, but dude the guy didn't need to be bash by him

Still Magic should just admitted he did the down low, I mean its fine if he gay'ed up but please...
I'm thinking by Doc River's responses and how Magic is handling this their is "Let's push to get Magic as an owner" agenda in the NBA and media right now. A radio station played a Magic Johnson interview the other day and the dude had to toot his own horn about a dozen times and kept calling himself a "businessman" over and over and over.

It's hilarious how much the media is milking this. CNN is seeing a ratings boost. It's one to have an interview with the guy. It's another to keep leaking little bits and pieces like shameful fucks they are.

The political correctness is at an all time and it is disgusting. I just wish for once someone would say something, not apologize and double down on it. Sterling is KIND of doing that but he is teetering. I don't get what he is so scared about anyway, he is a billionaire.

Did the Turtle Rock guy ever get a new job? I've always wondered what happens to these people. Surely since he was fired from one job, he should not be hired by anyone else, right? 

I just noticed I still associate him with Turtle Rock, which is what they wanted to avoid, right? Haha.

Did the Turtle Rock guy ever get a new job? I've always wondered what happens to these people. Surely since he was fired from one job, he should not be hired by anyone else, right?

I just noticed I still associate him with Turtle Rock, which is what they wanted to avoid, right? Haha.
Different incident but I read an article on the new game Adam Orth is developing as an indie title for Xbox one. The game looks really good too, basically the space parts of Dead Space minus zombies. Sort of like Gravity the video game.

Why do I feel like this would have been quietly swept under the rug if they had not fired him.  Now there's more potential for backlash against turtle rock for violating freedom of speech.

Irony much Turtle Rock?

Why do I feel like this would have been quietly swept under the rug if they had not fired him. Now there's more potential for backlash against turtle rock for violating freedom of speech.
Everything that happened was white noise. Sales of the games are not going to be affected either way. Fire him, don't fire him, the financials wouldn't be affected either way. Consumers won't change their habits. It's just a guy and his job.

I looked at his Twitter page and he seems to be pushing some new product, so maybe he got back on his feet. He never apologized, which is what I admire.

bread's done
Back