* * * * * 1 votes

CAGcast #365: Heterodachi Life

#31 AtlasShrugged80   Both Cheap and an Ass CAGiversary!   65 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

AtlasShrugged80

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

The only profound political/philosophical statement that was made on the episode was Shipwreck stating, "If we are going to start treating video games as an art form, we have to allow for things to offend people."  (paraphrased). 

If you're a law nerd, check out Brown v. Entertainment Merchants Assn., where the Supreme Court discussed this very issue. 

Full Disclosure: I would support having gay marriage in this game.

#32 Maligna  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Concerning your talk on Tomodachi Life's issue with gay marriage, I have to take issue with some things Shipwreck said. He seemed to be defending hypothetical bigots even though people who find gay marriage disturbing or wrong weren't even a part of the story. It's not like there were a large group of people planning to protest the game if it added in gay relationships.

Shipwreck said that people wouldn't want to have to explain it to their kids. How hard is it to explain to your child, "Those two people love each other." That seems pretty simple to me.

Also when Wombat rightly said that anyone who is bugged by gay marriage should get over themselves, Shipwreck seemed to imply that the people complaining should get over themselves as well. Really? Would you say that to black people fighting for equal representation if you could only be white in this game? Would you say that to women, if you could only be male some other game that is supposed to simulate life?

Also, to Cheapy...I'm sure you were just trying to diffuse things, but it never helps to bring up marrying animals when talking about gay marriage even if you're joking. Animals don't have the free will, nor the comprehension to agree to a marriage. Other consenting humans do.

Sorry guys, still love the show but that discussion got me heated.

#33 actripxl   BITW! CAGiversary!   238 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

actripxl

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:04 PM

I made a joke about the French and Japanese sexism is a real issue. Yet you have no problem putting all liberals under a hypocrate umbrella when it suits your agenda.

I don't have a problem because I don't pretend to be "inclusive", I hate everyone equally and believe NO ONE should get "special treatment".  If someone were to make a joke about black people or gays you'd be talking up a storm but since its the French it's ok and because Japanese sexism is real and is differently culturally  that makes it ok to call them stupid right?

#34 actripxl   BITW! CAGiversary!   238 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

actripxl

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

Concerning your talk on Tomodachi Life's issue with gay marriage, I have to take issue with some things Shipwreck said. He seemed to be defending hypothetical bigots even though people who find gay marriage disturbing or wrong weren't even a part of the story. It's not like there were a large group of people planning to protest the game if it added in gay relationships.

Shipwreck said that people wouldn't want to have to explain it to their kids. How hard is it to explain to your child, "Those two people love each other." That seems pretty simple to me.

Also when Wombat rightly said that anyone who is bugged by gay marriage should get over themselves, Shipwreck seemed to imply that the people complaining should get over themselves as well. Really? Would you say that to black people fighting for equal representation if you could only be white in this game? Would you say that to women, if you could only be male some other game that is supposed to simulate life?

Also, to Cheapy...I'm sure you were just trying to diffuse things, but it never helps to bring up marrying animals when talking about gay marriage even if you're joking. Animals don't have the free will, nor the comprehension to agree to a marriage. Other consenting humans do.

Then why is Polygamy not an issue, if I love two women and they love me and are ok with each other why can't I marry them?  Again Liberal hypocrites.  They talk about adults loving each other but never bring side with it  when it's more than two individuals, this is always used against Mormons and yet Liberal don't have a problem in shutting them down.

Also in defense of Ship, heterosexuality is a normal evolutionary process that is NEEDED for a species to survive, homosexuality is not normal because in evolutionary terms it would be the end of said species.  Just because we accept it culturally doesn't make any less abnormal from a scientific stand point.

P.S. I'm no conservative far from it, but I'm not a hypocrite to give special things to certain groups because the moment we do that then there is no equality for anyone.

#35 Koubiak   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   92 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

Wombat the typical Liberal hypocrite, white knight for gay people and "oppressed" group du jour but has no problem calling Japanese stupid and saying the French suck.  

Incase its not clear Liberal are hypocrites because they act offended when certain groups are brought up but have no problem talking crap about others all under the fake and hypocritical umbrella of "inclusiveness".  

This.

Although I am myself a pro-same sex marriage democrat, Wombat's ignorance is pretty obvious on a number of subjects, especially in this CAGcast. He's keen on using big words without really knowing their meaning, and the stereotyping...holy shit.

He's like the entirety of Reddit in a single body. 

#36 shipwreck   CAG Reviews Editor Super Moderators   7585 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:28 PM

There are a lot of angles to look at in this. Financials for a company and how to maximize profit on their product. Artistic freedom when it comes to making a game. And then of course the inclusion issue. All I was saying was that you are going to offend someone no matter what you do.

Too often arguments are focused on one portion of the issue when there is lot more to actually consider.

#37 Maligna  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

Then why is Polygamy not an issue, if I love two women and they love me and are ok with each other why can't I marry them?  Again Liberal hypocrites.  They talk about adults loving each other but never bring side with it  when it's more than two individuals, this is always used against Mormons and yet Liberal don't have a problem in shutting them down.

Also in defense of Ship, heterosexuality is a normal evolutionary process that is NEEDED for a species to survive, homosexuality is not normal because in evolutionary terms it would be the end of said species.  Just because we accept it culturally doesn't make any less abnormal from a scientific stand point.

P.S. I'm no conservative far from it, but I'm not a hypocrite to give special things to certain groups because the moment we do that then there is no equality for anyone.

Holy cow man. Way to put words in my mouth. When did I say I was against consenting adults marrying more than one person? If they wanna do that, and it's ACTUALLY consenting then I have no problem. The issue with a lot of polygamy situations is that the women are coerced or even forced into it.

As for evolutionary processes making something "normal". Well, we evolved into what we are. And if what we've evolved into includes a portion of the population that happens to be gay, then you can't go around saying it's not "normal". It arose through evolutionary process, the same as everything else.

There are a lot of angles to look at in this. Financials for a company and how to maximize profit on their product. Artistic freedom when it comes to making a game. And then of course the inclusion issue. All I was saying was that you are going to offend someone no matter what you do.

Too often arguments are focused on one portion of the issue when there is lot more to actually consider.

Well, you didn't seem to come at it very hard from the financials angle. It seemed to be more about not offending bigots.

#38 TheMysticPickle   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   14 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

TheMysticPickle

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

Shipwreck says the amount of people talking about the new COD trailer (which he rightly points out shows only single player) shows there is still a enough interest to justify putting single player campaign modes in shooters like Titanfall. While I'm all for having the option to play single player, and I'd like to have a real campaign mode in the next Titanfall, I'm not seeing the connection he's making. Personally, I saw that trailer and immediately thought, "alright more future sci/fi type stuff in my multiplayer shooters!" We all assume that stuff is going to be in the multiplayer too and a lot of folks I know who were excited by the trailer don't have any interest in the campaign. 

#39 Jasper Kazai   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   184 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Jasper Kazai

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

I'm with ya on hearthstone, Ship. I played it in the beta and solely to get a free mount in Warcraft (need to win 3 maches). I hated every second of it and did poorly as well. My first win also came from my opponent disconnecting! I was playing as a Mage and did awful. When I finally switched to a hunter, I got 2 wins almost immediately.

There is nothing worse in gaming than watching your opponent run down the play clock, even though they have no moves left.

Yep, same here. I was invited to the beta, played the tutorial, and then closed it to never open it again since it's not my type of game. Then when the WoW mount came out, I gritted my teeth through 3 wins just to get it and then never play again. My first win as well was an AFKer. Some of my friends really enjoy the game (one of them almost got to the Legendary rank), so I recently tried it again, but I struggle against the AI opponents. 1-on-1 competitive games just do not appeal to me. (Also, a little correction - the mount came out after the game was already out of beta.)

Surprised there was no mention of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby coming this fall. I forget, were you guys just not fans of X and Y when they came out, or did it just miss the packed agenda this time around?

No, they don't seem to care much about Pokémon. I can't recall if Shipwreck ever played it, but Cheapy only bought X/Y for Tai, and was annoyed by it because it doesn't have autosaving and Tai didn't know that so he got upset when he lost progress.

I'm personally indifferent to the whole gay controversy in Tomodachi Life (a benefit of white male privilege, blah blah blah). But Cheapy, the "Gay DLC" you proposed would almost certainly piss people off. You probably don't remember, but there was controversy about The Old Republic when they previewed their content expansion having a "gay planet" because it felt like gays were being sequestered to one area like an exhibit. People were definitely angry about that. Locking gay relationships behind DLC would more than likely elicit the same type of response.

#40 actripxl   BITW! CAGiversary!   238 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

actripxl

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

Holy cow man. Way to put words in my mouth. When did I say I was against consenting adults marrying more than one person? If they wanna do that, and it's ACTUALLY consenting then I have no problem. The issue with a lot of polygamy situations is that the women are coerced or even forced into it.

As for evolutionary processes making something "normal". Well, we evolved into what we are. And if what we've evolved into includes a portion of the population that happens to be gay, then you can't go around saying it's not "normal". It arose through evolutionary process, the same as everything else.

Well, you didn't seem to come at it very hard from the financials angle. It seemed to be more about not offending bigots.

I didn't mean to imply you personally feel that way about Polygamy, I meant in general.

You are truly grasping for straws by calling homosexuals normal and a sign of the brainwashing by those with a politically correct agenda, by your definition people with down syndrome, missing limbs, conjoined twins would also be normal but they aren't why?  Because that defeats the purpose of evolution, the whole point of evolution is for a species to propagate, and for the descendants to be stronger which is something homosexuals do not do.

Again, I'm not saying culturally they should not be accepted because they should but it should not be called normal because they are not when following untainted (politically correct) scientific definitions.

Also let's get back to games, if you would like to continue you can IM me.

#41 actripxl   BITW! CAGiversary!   238 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

actripxl

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

Thank you Ship for stating something that most seem to forget, " you are going to offend someone no matter what you do".

And for those that are offended by Nintendo, maybe you should be more concerned about things like those poor kidnapped girls in Nigeria that are going to be sold off as slaves to have inhumane things done to them, which I'm sure some have already experienced some horrific things.

#42 AriesDog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   794 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

AriesDog

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

CAGcast listener poll: Which CheapyD obsession has became the most annoying to listen to - Apple, PC PC PC, or the newest one, Hearthstone?

#43 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11174 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

Apple

#44 MattZack   Virtue for the virtuous, signaling for others. CAGiversary!   1328 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

If our morality about sexuality is autonomous in the US, and it is.  Then US society must allow everyone to be autonomous, and that includes those that think homosexuality is not moral.  A disagreement about the morality of homosexuality does not make someone a bigot.  You have to let everyone be autonomous if you want that to be allowed to be autonomous.  Otherwise, by your standards you are a bigot as well.

Cheapy D and Shipwreck were right on the podcast- the gay marriage people do need to get over it.  The NAACP didn't get upset that there is no black option in Super Mario 3D World. 

Also, Wombat - It is not kind to ask Shipwreck about his personal views on the podcast and I don't think a real friend would do that to someone unless it was discussed previously.  In addition, your xenophobic comments on the show and in this forum should not be tolerated just as other slurs should not be tolerated.

#45 Wombat   CAGcast or nothin CAGiversary!   2386 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

If our morality about sexuality is autonomous in the US, and it is. Then US society must allow everyone to be autonomous, and that includes those that think homosexuality is not moral. A disagreement about the morality of homosexuality does not make someone a bigot. You have to let everyone be autonomous if you want that to be allowed to be autonomous. Otherwise, by your standards you are a bigot as well.

Cheapy D and Shipwreck were right on the podcast- the gay marriage people do need to get over it. The NAACP didn't get upset that there is no black option in Super Mario 3D World.

Also, Wombat - It is not kind to ask Shipwreck about his personal views on the podcast and I don't think a real friend would do that to someone unless it was discussed previously. In addition, your xenophobic comments on the show and in this forum should not be tolerated just as other slurs should not be tolerated.

I think you are overreacting my comments about Japan. I wouldn't say xenophobic more based my personal experiance with the culture.

Also, no it is not OK to have a view on the morality of homosexuality. It is normal, it is not open for debate. If you feel differently no matter what you say, to me, you are a bigot. I can only speak for myself but if you or any one feels differently please go ahead and find a new podcast that better suits your views.

#46 bickle   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   844 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:29 PM

I'm just astounded by this whole thread. Everyone needs a few muscle relaxants to unclench a little.

#47 MattZack   Virtue for the virtuous, signaling for others. CAGiversary!   1328 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:21 PM

I think you are overreacting my comments about Japan. I wouldn't say xenophobic more based my personal experiance with the culture.

Also, no it is not OK to have a view on the morality of homosexuality. It is normal, it is not open for debate. If you feel differently no matter what you say, to me, you are a bigot. I can only speak for myself but if you or any one feels differently please go ahead and find a new podcast that better suits your views.

Personal experience or not, why should you be allowed to make comments that are slurs?

Would you appreciate similar slurs against homosexuals?

#48 Wombat   CAGcast or nothin CAGiversary!   2386 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:38 PM

Personal experience or not, why should you be allowed to make comments that are slurs?

Would you appreciate similar slurs against homosexuals?

I don't recall making a slur, maybe you misheard or understood me?

#49 Sgt Barone   CAG since 2008 CAGiversary!   2040 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Sgt Barone

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:06 PM

Great show as always, guys.

#50 Koubiak   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   92 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2014 - 11:11 PM

I can only speak for myself but if you or any one feels differently please go ahead and find a new podcast that better suits your views.

Hopefully you'll drive so many people away from the CAGcast that CheapyD and Shipwreck will finally decide to do without you once and for all.

Added value of Wombat in any CAGcast? Zilch.

#51 MattZack   Virtue for the virtuous, signaling for others. CAGiversary!   1328 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:48 AM

The French suck

Ok, if slur means to speak of somebody in an insulting or demeaning way I would think the post above counts.  Also, on the podcast, you stated, "Japan is backwards and they're stupid and they're wrong."  Sounds insulting and demeaning, do you disagree?  

#52 Ehker  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:02 AM

Remind me never to do a podcast, I don't know if I could take the feedback.

I wasn't going to post, but reading some ridiculous stuff here, Wombat, Cheapy, Ship are awesome and I thought it was a great episode. Really enjoyed all discussions, and it was entertaining and interesting as always.

#53 Wombat   CAGcast or nothin CAGiversary!   2386 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

Ok, if slur means to speak of somebody in an insulting or demeaning way I would think the post above counts. Also, on the podcast, you stated, "Japan is backwards and they're stupid and they're wrong." Sounds insulting and demeaning, do you disagree?

That post was sarcastic and I hope you know that. And I would call my Japan dig more insult less slur. It was also generalization to highlight my point about the general conservative attitudes in Japan.

#54 Daws001   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:44 PM

I had pretty much the same response when listening to this episode. Shipwreck's comments just struck me as insensitive. 

Also, no it is not OK to have a view on the morality of homosexuality. It is normal, it is not open for debate. If you feel differently no matter what you say, to me, you are a bigot. 

Thanks, Wombat :) 

#55 Curufinwe   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1100 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

It would only be the end of the species if every member of the species was homosexual.  That is not the case in humans or in any of the other species where homosexuality occurs.  It's perfectly normal for some proportion of a species not to be involved in procreation.

You disagree only because you are a bigot.

#56 MattZack   Virtue for the virtuous, signaling for others. CAGiversary!   1328 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

So, if I understand this correctly all people of a faith that believe that homosexuality is immoral are all bigots?  And if so, aren't the people that can't tolerate the religious beliefs of others bigots by calling them bigots?  Or, is the term bigot respectful?

For definition bigotry is intolerance toward those that hold different opinions from oneself.

Intolerance is unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs. 

Is your post above tolerant or bigoted?

I would say that Wombat is intolerant of Japanese culture and therefore a bigot based on his comments on the podcast.

That post was sarcastic and I hope you know that. And I would call my Japan dig more insult less slur. It was also generalization to highlight my point about the general conservative attitudes in Japan.

Why would you not call it a slur when it so clearly fits the definition?  Is the comment not insulting or demeaning?  Or do you just know in hindsight that your comment was offensive and was a racial/cultural slur and when called on it you really did not mean it?  Do you actually not see Japanese culture as "backwards" and think "they're stupid and they're wrong"?  If so, then it is a slur, if not then I guess you need to explain what you actually meant.  You see, you can't have it both ways.  You have to either mean it and have slurred the Japanese people and have bigoted attitudes, or not slurred them and mean something else that is not insulting or demeaning.  Even Cheapy seemed taken aback by the statement during the podcast.  Why not just admit fault and apologize?  

If you owned a basketball team, would this not be a huge fiasco?

Also, I like how your quoted post also shows your intolerance toward conservatives (see above for definition of intolerance).  Thus, another bigoted view for Wombat. 

If you want people to be tolerant, you would do well to be tolerant (the gist of the original post I made in this thread).  

And while I am at it, why don't you also apologize to Shipwreck for asking about a divisive topic while on the air.  You lack manners and I wish I was not the only person who was posting to tell you this.

Wombat, now I will ask you a few similar questions and you can feel free to answer them if you wish.  In fact, I would actually prefer that the entire podcast crew discussed this particular topic on the air.  I am sure that it is no way ill advised (sarcasm).  I picked an appropriate topic since it is Mother's Day.

What do you think about 3rd trimester abortions where the child is viable and it essentially vacuumed out of the mother's womb?  Have you watched a video of this procedure and seen the child recoil from the instrument used to kill it?  I would recommend that you do so if you can find one - it is eye opening.  Do you know that partial birth abortions also occur and that if the child does survive and the doctor ends the life after it is out of the mother it is murder?  Does life begin when a person exits the mother's womb?  Do you think that all abortions should be legal including the ones that I described?  Please answer this as this would have been the type of question that Shipwreck should have asked you instead of giving you an actual answer.  Would you appreciate Shipwreck asking you a question like these on the air?  

Alas, I don't actually think I can change your mind.

#57 Wombat   CAGcast or nothin CAGiversary!   2386 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

So, if I understand this correctly all people of a faith that believe that homosexuality is immoral are all bigots? And if so, aren't the people that can't tolerate the religious beliefs of others bigots by calling them bigots? Or, is the term bigot respectful?

For definition bigotry is intolerance toward those that hold different opinions from oneself.

Intolerance is unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs.

Is your post above tolerant or bigoted?

I would say that Wombat is intolerant of Japanese culture and therefore a bigot based on his comments on the podcast.

Why would you not call it a slur when it so clearly fits the definition? Is the comment not insulting or demeaning? Or do you just know in hindsight that your comment was offensive and was a racial/cultural slur and when called on it you really did not mean it? Do you actually not see Japanese culture as "backwards" and think "they're stupid and they're wrong"? If so, then it is a slur, if not then I guess you need to explain what you actually meant. You see, you can't have it both ways. You have to either mean it and have slurred the Japanese people and have bigoted attitudes, or not slurred them and mean something else that is not insulting or demeaning. Even Cheapy seemed taken aback by the statement during the podcast. Why not just admit fault and apologize?

If you owned a basketball team, would this not be a huge fiasco?

Also, I like how your quoted post also shows your intolerance toward conservatives (see above for definition of intolerance). Thus, another bigoted view for Wombat.

If you want people to be tolerant, you would do well to be tolerant (the gist of the original post I made in this thread).

And while I am at it, why don't you also apologize to Shipwreck for asking about a divisive topic while on the air. You lack manners and I wish I was not the only person who was posting to tell you this.

Wombat, now I will ask you a few similar questions and you can feel free to answer them if you wish. In fact, I would actually prefer that the entire podcast crew discussed this particular topic on the air. I am sure that it is no way ill advised (sarcasm). I picked an appropriate topic since it is Mother's Day.

What do you think about 3rd trimester abortions where the child is viable and it essentially vacuumed out of the mother's womb? Have you watched a video of this procedure and seen the child recoil from the instrument used to kill it? I would recommend that you do so if you can find one - it is eye opening. Do you know that partial birth abortions also occur and that if the child does survive and the doctor ends the life after it is out of the mother it is murder? Does life begin when a person exits the mother's womb? Do you think that all abortions should be legal including the ones that I described? Please answer this as this would have been the type of question that Shipwreck should have asked you instead of giving you an actual answer. Would you appreciate Shipwreck asking you a question like these on the air?

Alas, I don't actually think I can change your mind.

All I can do is agree to disagree with you on everything and ask you nicely to please stop.

#58 MattZack   Virtue for the virtuous, signaling for others. CAGiversary!   1328 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

All I can do is agree to disagree with you on everything and ask you nicely to please stop.

OK.

#59 Kazaganthi   Blue Rogue CAGiversary!   1947 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:28 PM

I see that stupid 3DS game ruined the show feedback thread too. First time I ever fast forwarded a CAG episode.

I didn't think Cheapy was rude to Elliot at all. In fact, my thoughts were actually "Wow, Cheapy is going along with this?" as he asked Elliot some questions.

Know your E3 vendors was awesome, can't wait to hear more ridiculous E3 vendors. More fun as long as no one researches. Love the categories Shipwreck came up with.

#60 RiceQuakes Classic   The One, the Only.....RiceQuakes CAGiversary!   3814 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

RiceQuakes Classic

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:20 AM

I wish people would just lay off Tomodachi Life. Never saw anyone whining about Harvest Moon.