XBox One Console - $399 (Available 6/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope there's one without Kinect. Then I'll be grabbing one and a PS4 before the end of the year probably.

April numbers must be awful but great news for folks who were on the fence or the many others who hated the Kinect. I'm not sure it is enough of a price drop to move the needle but time will tell. The most important announcement to current X1 owners is the implementation of Games with Gold and Microsoft abandoning the paywall for apps.

Free games with Games with Gold**. Since Games with Gold launched on Xbox 360 a year ago, over 12 million people have enjoyed great free games, resulting in nearly 200 million hours of free fun playing Games with Gold titles. We’ve been learning from your feedback and have focused on making improvements each month to the selection of titles. To celebrate the one-year anniversary of Games with Gold for Xbox 360 and as a thank you for helping shape this program, members will receive an additional free Xbox 360 game in June. The Games with Gold titles for Xbox 360 in June are “Dark Souls,” “Charlie Murder” and a bonus game of “Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.” We’re pleased to bring Games with Gold to Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox One in June. Members will have subscription-based access to free games ranging from top hits to breaking indie stars. The program will launch on Xbox One with “Max: The Curse of Brotherhood” and “Halo: Spartan Assault.” A single Gold membership will get you access to the free games for both Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Exclusive Discounts. Deals with Gold will also launch for Xbox One in June, delivering discounts for great games each month, with significant savings for Xbox Live Gold members. The first titles offered in June will include “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” and a few other surprises. In the coming months, we will offer significant savings of up to 50 – 75 percent off certain titles. This program will continue to be available for Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox 360. And new on Xbox One, we will launch a virtual VIP room exclusive to Xbox Live Gold members where we will feature free games, monthly deals, and other great benefits.

Popular entertainment apps will be available for all Xbox 360 and Xbox One owners. Xbox 360 has been a leader in delivering entertainment experiences for years, with over 170 global entertainment apps and experiences available today. We’re constantly adding new partners and experiences to the growing catalog on Xbox One. Coming in June, anyone with an Xbox will be able to access popular entertainment experiences – whether or not you have an Xbox Live Gold membership. This includes great gaming apps like Machinima, Twitch and Upload, popular video services like Netflix, Univision Deportes, GoPro, Red Bull TV and HBO GO, sports experiences like the NFL app for Xbox One, MLB.TV, NBA Game Time, NHL Game Center and more.*** Microsoft experiences including Internet Explorer, Skype, OneDrive and OneGuide will also be available to all Xbox customers.**** You can find a full list of apps and features that will be available below.

Last edited by a moderator:
They still lost so much money by being stubborn enough to wait this long. But a good look regardless because I can now trade my kinect

It's basically a neutered console without the Kinect. Is saving 100 bucks really worth it when you don't get the full experience?
What game based experience would I be missing?

Edit: I do agree that this decision should have been made earlier... a $399 console w/o Kinect isn't really much of a savings over a $499 console with kinect but at least it's a start.

What are the odds that AZ will still have Day One console in stock starting year two?

Hahahahahahaha! Microsoft britta'd yet again. Take the Kinect out, drop the price $100. Kinect sold separately in the Fall for probably way more than a $100 too. Sheesh, Xbox is the AT&T of video game consoles.

It's basically a neutered console without the Kinect. Is saving 100 bucks really worth it when you don't get the full experience?
I've had it since launch and I've used the Kinnect less than 5 times. I tried it the first day and never used it again. My X1 runs and plays everything just fine without Kinnect. I would never play Kinnect sports even if I had it.

I'm actually kinda glad I got the Titanfall bundle now, especially since I flipped an AWD PS4 for it so basically saved $100 and got the system, Kinect, and Titanfall for the same price as this new Kinect-less system.

So they're giving you less and charging you less.  I'm not sure why people are pushing for a kinectless $400 sku.  They should be pushing for a $400 sku that includes kinect.  Sell it if you don't want it, but don't accept this half-assed price cut as an acceptable solution to the system being overpriced.

I like my xb1 but I'm worried about my investment so I would like to see the system succeed.  If the best MS is willing to do is pull some smoke and mirrors "price cut" out of their ass in hopes of saving the system, I don't mind seeing the system fail.  I'm that spiteful.  

I don't understand, people always say that the Kinect is useless, that they should make a bundle without kinect, and when Microsoft does it, its bad and bla bla bla.

There has to be frequent $349 sales on this SKU by late summer. Now that the prices are even, MS has to work harder to show why it's a better value with slightly inferior hardware.

You also have to understand that management was restructured, Phil Spencer is now in charge of the Xbox division, which he took over a month ago. Obviously he felt like moving forward it was the best decision, regardless of what had been previously decided.

Good.  That means a kinect-less XB1 will be sub $400 around Black Friday.

I laughed when I saw Charlie Murder will be one of the free games in June.  One of my friends is going to be so pissed.

Question: I currently only have a 360.  Is it possible to "buy" the free GwG for the XB1 on the website (i.e., without owning an XB1 yet) so that I will own those games and download them when/if I eventually get an XB1?

Good. That means a kinect-less XB1 will be sub $400 around Black Friday.

I laughed when I saw Charlie Murder will be one of the free games in June. One of my friends is going to be so pissed.

Question: I currently only have a 360. Is it possible to "buy" the free GwG for the XB1 on the website (i.e., without owning an XB1 yet) so that I will own those games and download them when/if I eventually get an XB1?
I don't see why you couldn't get the One games. MS doesn't really track which system you have, a la Sony, as far as I know.

Good. That means a kinect-less XB1 will be sub $400 around Black Friday.

I laughed when I saw Charlie Murder will be one of the free games in June. One of my friends is going to be so pissed.

Question: I currently only have a 360. Is it possible to "buy" the free GwG for the XB1 on the website (i.e., without owning an XB1 yet) so that I will own those games and download them when/if I eventually get an XB1?
X1 games are separate from the 360 library on the site. There is a decent chance MS will redesign the website between now and then. It's worth noting that at first glance it appears that MS is following Sony's lead this time. Games with gold are no longer playable once Gold expires/lapses.

I'm a PS4, 360, and vita owner. I'll grab a XBone when the next Gears comes out if it's as good as gears 3.

They don't deserve any praise for this, its hilarious that they were able to pull that shit for so long when literally every other media device had these apps for free since the beginning of time. What a joke.
Agreed. They had no competition at the time so they could charge for it and as it turned out plenty of people were willing to pay for these services. Sony with PS+ forced MS to change course. Let's be frank here they are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

I'm a PS4, 360, and vita owner. I'll grab a XBone when the next Gears comes out if it's as good as gears 3.
This is my current situation as well. I am also not paying $399 either unless it is a Gears bundle with the game or something. Still not convinced I will pick up a XBox One but this certainly makes it a bit more likely.

I wonder if they'll redesign the UI a bit as I've heard some stuff is tough to find using a controller.  I'm not sure any of this would make me get one over a PS4.

Nice to hear about the GwG games for June, SF4: AE will be the 4th game I didn't already have.

Agreed. They had no competition at the time so they could charge for it and as it turned out plenty of people were willing to pay for these services. Sony with PS+ forced MS to change course. Let's be frank here they are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

It's listed right at the bottom of the page. For Xbox One Games with gold you will need an active membership, I believe 360 will be staying the same. From Major nelon's page:

"Free Games Offer: For paid Gold members only. On Xbox One, active Gold membership required to play free games you’ve downloaded. Must download titles during designated window. Kinect and/or hard drive required for some games."

Microsoft is probably going to punish a lot of you who buy the no Kinect version by making it more and more "necessary" and probably charging $150 for it instead of the $100 difference. 

I actually disagree with this idea, I think the Kinect is really well done and after owning an Xbox One for a month I really enjoy it. I'm disappointed that they wouldn't hold their ground on this and I'm concerned developers might abandon support due to resources required for the additional development. I certainly understand why they are doing it, they're not competitive with the PS4, I just hope developers will continue to integrate the features into future games.

Well...as much as I love my x1, the kinect IS a central part of why I love it. Without the kinect I can't see much of a reason in picking up one over a ps4 first...at this point anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back