FIFA World Cup 2014 OT (Congrats to GERMANY & kdiddy1989)

It's the World Cup... I will be rooting for my birth country the U.S.  I find it sad when people root against their country just because they aren't a world football power.

Not very optomistic due to the draw, I think the U.S has one of the strongest squads in the history of the U.S. national team, but the draw was brutal.  The only way the U.S. moves on is somehow finding a way to beat Ghana, Tie Portugal, and tie Germany, and hope Germany sweeps.  It is literally the only way I can see us surviving,  and I still don't see it!  Sad to see LD and Howard go out like this...

I really hate FIFA fyi, I really think there is some corrupt stuff going on.  I think the draws are dumb and somewhat rigged with how they match up teams on region.  And don't get me started on the whole Quatar fiasco!

Rooting for USA obviously, but my team I want to watch the most is Belgium.

I think they will make some noise, especially with their weak group they got put in. They can and should sweep that group. 

USA draw is definitely this world cups group of death. No other group is that stacked. However portugal is not nearly as good as people think they are, they had to win a playoff to even make the cup and they rely wayyyy to much on Ronaldo. If he has a bad game (rare i know) then they can be beat. Just hope he chooses the game with usa to have an off day.

Rooting for USA obviously, but my team I want to watch the most is Belgium.

I think they will make some noise, especially with their weak group they got put in. They can and should sweep that group.

USA draw is definitely this world cups group of death. No other group is that stacked. However portugal is not nearly as good as people think they are, they had to win a playoff to even make the cup and they rely wayyyy to much on Ronaldo. If he has a bad game (rare i know) then they can be beat. Just hope he chooses the game with usa to have an off day.
Only way the US has a chance for a tie is if Ronaldo doesn't show up: agreed!

Belgium is definitely a team to watch since Lukaku and Mirallas will be in the squad! EVERTON!!!!!

Only way the US has a chance for a tie is if Ronaldo doesn't show up: agreed!

Belgium is definitely a team to watch since Lukaku and Mirallas will be in the squad! EVERTON!!!!!
Hazard, Courtois, De Bruyne, Benteke, Kompany

They are STACKED with young talent. Kompany is the old man at 28.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rooting for the US as well. Though I would be lying if I didn't say I have a soft spot for the Netherlands. That said both teams will have an incredibly hard time  making it out of the group stages. 

The US has to beat Ghana and tie the other two matches (Portugal and Germany) which is a tall task. 

Real question is, which jersey should I go with?

usa_home_jerseyfront_prideht_v1_original.jpg

Very plain but kinda classic looking or...

usa_away_collar1_pride.jpg

Do I really want to look like a rocket pop though?

Rocket_Pop.jpg

Real question is, which jersey should I go with?

usa_home_jerseyfront_prideht_v1_original.jpg

Very plain but kinda classic looking or...

usa_away_collar1_pride.jpg

Do I really want to look like a rocket pop though?

Rocket_Pop.jpg
The white is the only way to go, however a friend has it and it just looks like a polo, not a jersey at all... Sad that they are so plain. And then the other is ridiculous. I wish they had of kept the hoops red and white.

The white is the only way to go, however a friend has it and it just looks like a polo, not a jersey at all... Sad that they are so plain. And then the other is ridiculous. I wish they had of kept the hoops red and white.
The white one for sure and yes it looks just like a polo shirt but that's not necessarily a bad thing as it has that classic soccer jersey look.

Literally every other country has better kits than the US. One is a white polo shirt and the other is a bomb pop with red shorts that make it look even worse.

As far as the actual play, US has no shot to advance, they never even beat Ghana.

So white it is, now named or unamed?

Named Im thinking maybe Dempsey as always liked him and prolly last world cup. Last world cup went with Altidore on the back. Green might be a good call or Johansson

Holy smokes a soccer thread!!! This is pretty sweet. I visit other forums to discuss soccer but will contribute to this while it's active because CAG is the best site on the web.

Pulling for the good ol USA. Love the team and believe that we can get out of the group. We're not as screwed as Australia. That's the real group of death. Poor Aussies. For the USA, it definitely requires 3 points against Ghana. They are a sick squad and looking at this year's roster, they will be just as tough, if not tougher to beat. Andre and Jordan Ayew, Gyan, Muntari, Asamoah, and Prince-Boateng make a pretty strong roster, and that's not even considering Majeed Waris is in nice form right now and this is more than likely Michael Essien's last ride. That's a quality side. Nonetheless, we have the talent to overcome it. I feel like that one game is our ticket out because I can see us salvaging a draw vs Portugal and 4 points very well may be enough to get through.

As far as the jersey talk goes...I still rock my world cup 2010 Altidore jersey. I love it! I'm going to order another Altidore jersey (going with the freeze pop) as he's my favorite footballer in the world. I say take a name but that's just me being picky. I can't do the nameless ones. The only thing with them, however, is that the numbers don't always stick with the players. Michael Bradley for instance now wears 4, but wore 12 I believe. Don't quote me on that. He wore another number for sure though. I'd guess Green is almost guaranteed a number change at some point. Avoid his .jersey

As far as the jersey talk goes...I still rock my world cup 2010 Altidore jersey. I love it! I'm going to order another Altidore jersey (going with the freeze pop) as he's my favorite footballer in the world. I say take a name but that's just me being picky. I can't do the nameless ones. The only thing with them, however, is that the numbers don't always stick with the players. Michael Bradley for instance now wears 4, but wore 12 I believe. Don't quote me on that. He wore another number for sure though. I'd guess Green is almost guaranteed a number change at some point. Avoid his .jersey
Altidore is a flop for the second time in EPL, as much as I and every other USA follower want him to be great, he's just not.

Altidore is a flop for the second time in EPL, as much as I and every other USA follower want him to be great, he's just not.
Jozy needs to play in a lesser league where he can continue to develop his game. The Eredivisie did wonders for his confidence and allowed him to work on the technical side of the game. He still needs more time to develop as a target man. The problem with the EPL is that it is a much more physical league where even the best of strikers can fall out of form. Look at Soldado for example. IMO the ceiling for Jozy is a player like Klaas-Jan Huntelaar. If he can get to that level by the next world cup we should all be satisfied.

Can't wait for the World Cup! I am rooting for USA, but not sure if they have a chance in that group, but you never know. The white jersey looks nice, I think I will have to get one of those.

Rooting for my birth country, Italia. Even though I was born there due to my father being in the US Army, I still consider Italy my birth country. Hoping they go all way !

I was born and raised in the US, and I know this will probably raise some eyebrows, but I'm rooting for Mexico. That part of me is the one that got me into my love for the sport, so it gets my loving support (I'd also say Cuba, but I can safely say that team sucks, despite me being half Cuban). I also watch all the mexican league games so I know pretty much all the players on the team, if not by name, then by looks. I also watch European soccer league matches, but no heritage over there except Spain and I don't really like their teams :/

If Mexico goes out, then I'd like Italy to win. I'm not Italian, but they have some players I like on their team.

While I can't argue that, I can blame the Sunderland midfielders as a partial reason. Jozy had a few good looks that he could've put in the back of the net this season so he does need to take advantage of those opportunities. He's on a 4 year deal there so hopefully Poyet gives him some more opportunities in the future. All that being said, he's a different international player so he will play a big role next month and if he shows up, we should feel good about our chances of seeing knockout stage. I understand he's not the best player but doesn't change the fact that's he's my favorite and will more than likely always be until he calls it quits.

So basically what I'm saying is if you regret buying his jersey, and it's not the white one from the last world cup, sell it to me for cheap :D/

If Mexico goes out, then I'd like Italy to win. I'm not Italian, but they have some players I like on their team.
As a secondary team, I'm pulling for Mexico (as weird as it is! That's the rival! The enemy!) because my wife is from Mexico. If she wins, I win. Happy wife happy life. If they lose, I win still lol

As a secondary team, I'm pulling for Mexico (as weird as it is! That's the rival! The enemy!) because my wife is from Mexico. If she wins, I win. Happy wife happy life. If they lose, I win still lol
:lol:

Lol, I'm glad you understand how it works

Just be glad she's not Cuban, as I'm sure my husband can attest, we got the worst, fistiest tempers ;)

I hate Mexicos uniform this go around. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who thinks this, but it reminds me of Charlie Browns shirt. (Specifically the goalies, just look at it and see if it doesn't remind you of snoopy and the gang)

Why all the hate for the rocket pop jerseys? They're better than the plain white but certainly not as good as the blue ones from 2010.

If the US doesn't win (let's be honest, they aren't) I'd like to see a young England squad or Belgium win. Altidore needs to have a strong showing if the US wants to advance. Dempsey can't do it alone and I'm not sure we should expect much from the other forwards, though the future does look bright.

Altidore is done, dont expect much from him going forward. I watched a few of the matches sunderland played. He LOOKED awful.

If you cant tell im a Chelsea fan. Torres aint scored shit, but he never really looked terrible. Poor guy just cant freaking finish. He gets shit on for not scoring but you cant usually fault his work rate.

Altidore will come into the WC at an extreme low point in his career. He was relegated to sunderland u21 for christs sake. Thats BAD. Hes 24, he should be hitting his prime (prime for most fowards is usually that 24 to 28 range) but he is obviously taken a huge step back. And the whole EPL is too tough is a crock of shit. Its only too tough as top to bottom its the best league in the world. Jozy is just not a world class talent. Never was and never will be. He had one decent season and one really great season in the dutch league, which is basically equivalent to MLS/englands league one. AKA not really a top quality league. 

Aron Johansson and Wondo had better show up because Jozy is going to flop hard. He hasnt played a good match since the Bosnia match back last August. Id be surprised to see him make the 23 man roster.

/end Jozy rant

Also got my all white jersey today. It really is basically a polo shirt. Its pretty see through as well which is kinda annoying with the need to wear a white shirt under it. I like the look overall but still think they could have done a lot better with both the home and away kits. 

Only time will tell for Altidore...He'll undoubtedly be on this year's squad though.

Also, Adrian Melville, an ESPN writer, wrote an article listing the top 10 goalkeepers heading into the World Cup using the following as his grading criteria behind the 10: "The goalkeepers in these power rankings reflect not only the statistical volume of shots faced, but also the player's degree of difficulty in the saves that he makes, along with intangibles such as organizing a defensive shape that can help with the ultimate objective of conceding as few goals as possible.

His list:

1. Courtois

2. Howard

3. Buffon

4. Casillas

5. Neuer

6. Lloris

7. Hart

8. Ospina

9. Begovic

10. Ochoa

Only time will tell for Altidore...He'll undoubtedly be on this year's squad though.

Also, Adrian Melville, an ESPN writer, wrote an article listing the top 10 goalkeepers heading into the World Cup using the following as his grading criteria behind the 10: "The goalkeepers in these power rankings reflect not only the statistical volume of shots faced, but also the player's degree of difficulty in the saves that he makes, along with intangibles such as organizing a defensive shape that can help with the ultimate objective of conceding as few goals as possible.

His list:

1. Courtois
2. Howard
3. Buffon
4. Casillas
5. Neuer
6. Lloris
7. Hart
8. Ospina
9. Begovic
10. Ochoa
How could Casillas be higher than Neuer? Neuer is Bayern's number 1 keeper while Casillas only plays in the CL. No arguments with Courtois though. He has had a phenomenal year.

Torres struggling to score with quality teammates is one thing but Altidore struggling at Sunderland MAY be different. I can't write him off at 24. The team was a mess until the last 7 or 8 games. In the Sunderland games I saw, he was all alone up top trying to take on both center backs. That's not his game.

If he is done, Wondo had best go on a tear.

Howard is maybe a little high on list but Courtois is a sight to behold in goal.

Talk of him replacing Cech this coming season, especially after his shoulder surgery

How could Casillas be higher than Neuer? Neuer is Bayern's number 1 keeper while Casillas only plays in the CL. No arguments with Courtois though. He has had a phenomenal year.
His reason behind Neuer at 5: Neuer is considered by many to be the best goalkeeper in the world, but there are some warning signs for the German international based on his recent form for Bayern Munich. Since Jan. 1, Neuer conceded 12 of his 19 Bundesliga goals over 15 appearances, including five from within 6 yards, even though as a team Bayern conceded a league-low 7.0 shot attempts per game over that period.

Howard is maybe a little high on list but Courtois is a sight to behold in goal.

Talk of him replacing Cech this coming season, especially after his shoulder surgery
I agree 100% with the Howard comment. Those are some greats they have him above. I don't think it's by much, but he should surely be ranked lower in my opinion.

I think Hart is too high. I think I'd take Begovic over him.
I'm with you. Begovic is the most consistent keeper in the Premier League and if this injury to Cech is serious, I'd call him the best in the EPL. Gimme Begovic over De Gea, Hart, Howard any day. He needs to pull off one of these moves to a big club (that he has been linked to) to get more exposure to casual football fans.

His reason behind Neuer at 5: Neuer is considered by many to be the best goalkeeper in the world, but there are some warning signs for the German international based on his recent form for Bayern Munich. Since Jan. 1, Neuer conceded 12 of his 19 Bundesliga goals over 15 appearances, including five from within 6 yards, even though as a team Bayern conceded a league-low 7.0 shot attempts per game over that period.

I agree 100% with the Howard comment. Those are some greats they have him above. I don't think it's by much, but he should surely be ranked lower in my opinion.

I'm with you. Begovic is the most consistent keeper in the Premier League and if this injury to Cech is serious, I'd call him the best in the EPL. Gimme Begovic over De Gea, Hart, Howard any day. He needs to pull off one of these moves to a big club (that he has been linked to) to get more exposure to casual football fans.
Begovic is an excellent keeper but sometimes it is hard to gauge his worth when you consider Stoke play a very safe/defensive style. I'm inclined to give some credit to the defense. A move to a big club would do wonders for his career. Everton on the other hand played a much more open game this season under Martinez than last year under Moyes. Yet, Howard finished second in the EPL for most clean sheets and his distribution was excellent. I don't think you can go wrong with either guy. Is Howard rated too high? Probably but so is Hart.

Getting back to the Neuer v Casillas argument. Casillas has made 17 appearances this season vs Neuer's 48. IMO 17 appearances in all competitions is too small a sample size to draw any real conclusions. Sorry don't mean to sound like a Bayern/Neuer apologist. I'm not even a fan of Bayern just befuddled by the ratings.

On a slight tangent, LVG confirmed as United head coach. As a United fan I'm happy they signed him. At least pre and post game interviews will never be boring again. 

On a slight tangent, LVG confirmed as United head coach. As a United fan I'm happy they signed him. At least pre and post game interviews will never be boring again.
Agreed. This EPL season wasnt nearly as fun with ManUre being so freaking terrible.

I think you underestimate Howard and his impact a Everton... Remember that Howard set the shutout record in 09, and honestly I don't know how close to the top 4 Everton would be without him. However he will be starting his decline and his career is coming to a close. But I have always had Howard in my top 5, and I like seeing an analyst do the same

I think you underestimate Howard and his impact a Everton... Remember that Howard set the shutout record in 09, and honestly I don't know how close to the top 4 Everton would be without him. However he will be starting his decline and his career is coming to a close. But I have always had Howard in my top 5, and I like seeing an analyst do the same
Nah timmy has at least 3 more really good years, most elite keepers dont really start to fall off until late 30s, hes 35 so should still be elite for another 3 or so, even then he could prolly play until early 40s and still be good. Cant think of his name but that one keeper for manu was still really good when he retired at like 45, he was asked to still play but was like nah, im old, im tired, im done.

Nah timmy has at least 3 more really good years, most elite keepers dont really start to fall off until late 30s, hes 35 so should still be elite for another 3 or so, even then he could prolly play until early 40s and still be good. Cant think of his name but that one keeper for manu was still really good when he retired at like 45, he was asked to still play but was like nah, im old, im tired, im done.
Van der Sar was only 40 when he retired but yeah he could have played on. Fergie recommended he retire on top.

Van der Sar was only 40 when he retired but yeah he could have played on. Fergie recommended he retire on top.
I more meant he is on the down swing with this being his most probable last world cup. I feel like most players enter the twilight of their careers when they retire from international to focus on club. They can't do the grind due to age, just meaning his career is coming to a close.

I more meant he is on the down swing with this being his most probable last world cup. I feel like most players enter the twilight of their careers when they retire from international to focus on club. They can't do the grind due to age, just meaning his career is coming to a close.
Agreed. I think Howard could and will play on for Everton but this is his last World Cup. He'll probably hang 'em up after Copa America 2016. IMO, it is important that some of the young guys get a crack at it.

As a United fan, I too am happy with the Van Gaal signing. He's never been a long term solution anywhere, ever, but we need someone to motivate the club, play attacking football, and get the youngsters on the pitch. Pretty much the anti-Moyes.

Has anyone been watching or listening to the Men in Blazers World Cup previews? I highly recommend them.

As a United fan, I too am happy with the Van Gaal signing. He's never been a long term solution anywhere, ever, but we need someone to motivate the club, play attacking football, and get the youngsters on the pitch. Pretty much the anti-Moyes.

Has anyone been watching or listening to the Men in Blazers World Cup previews? I highly recommend them.
Seconded.

http://youtu.be/9vd-SQUaY_g

I hope United are in a position in 2017-2018 where they get to choose between Giggs and Klopp. Personally, I would prefer Klopp. Dortmund play an excellent brand of football reminiscent of the great AC Milan sides of the late 80s (according to my father) under Arrigo Sacchi. Plus, he has a ton of charisma and could be a long term solution.

Agreed. I think Howard could and will play on for Everton but this is his last World Cup. He'll probably hang 'em up after Copa America 2016. IMO, it is important that some of the young guys get a crack at it.
Yea there are so many promising young and upcoming GK's that haven't really had a chance. After Howard it's between Guzan and Rimando... but then we have Hamid, Johnson, and Hall... heck even Clint Irwin is now throwing his name in with his play the last 2 years for the Rapids. US has always been known for goalkeeping, but right now I am not sure what the future looks like.

I like Klopp but barring something crazy (crazier than sleeping with his brother's wife and forcing her to get an abortion allegedly) I can't see them not giving it to Giggs or Scholes or someone else from the class of '92.

I wasn't underestimating Howard. I love Timmy. His numbers are there. 3rd fewest goals given up (4 of those were own goals) in the EPL this season and that's with a team the likes to go forward. From last year to this year, his save pct went from 70.9% to 77.2% even when Everton gave up 12% more shot attempts. I know he's a beast. I was simply saying he should be a couple spots lower. Certainly behind Neuer and probably Buffon. But I have no issues saying he's a top 5 keeper. I even said 'I don't think it's by much' when I made the comment.

Also, Melville wrote an article on top 5 attacking teams at the World Cup. I'm sure if each one of us had to list our top 5 attacking teams that we'd be very close, if not exactly the 5 he had.

His top 5 are:

1. Germany

2. Spain

3. Argentina

4. Brazil

5. United States. Ok I'm kidding. Netherlands

The list is based on World Cup qualifying and individual performance of players throughout the 2013-14 season, and he considered that some of the attackers who get heavy minutes now will have a new role with the international squads.

I wasn't underestimating Howard. I love Timmy. His numbers are there. 3rd fewest goals given up (4 of those were own goals) in the EPL this season and that's with a team the likes to go forward. From last year to this year, his save pct went from 70.9% to 77.2% even when Everton gave up 12% more shot attempts. I know he's a beast. I was simply saying he should be a couple spots lower. Certainly behind Neuer and probably Buffon. But I have no issues saying he's a top 5 keeper. I even said 'I don't think it's by much' when I made the comment.

Also, Melville wrote an article on top 5 attacking teams at the World Cup. I'm sure if each one of us had to list our top 5 attacking teams that we'd be very close, if not exactly the 5 he had.

His top 5 are:

1. Germany

2. Spain

3. Argentina

4. Brazil

5. United States. Ok I'm kidding. Netherlands

The list is based on World Cup qualifying and individual performance of players throughout the 2013-14 season, and he considered that some of the attackers who get heavy minutes now will have a new role with the international squads.
I think Belgium will surprise a lot of people...

I think Belgium is the deepest team not named Germany but they are really green. Benteke being injured also hurts them. Also, for what it is worth no European team has ever won a World Cup hosted in South America. 

I think Belgium is the deepest team not named Germany but they are really green. Benteke being injured also hurts them. Also, for what it is worth no European team has ever won a World Cup hosted in South America.
Only thing is the teams from outside Europe are the weakest they have ever been... Uruguay, Argentina, and Brazil are not the teams that they have been in the past... I think that run ends this summer.

bread's done
Back