Sony Gold Wireless Stereo Headset $84.99 @ Amazon

Some of the AWD doesn't come with the USB adapter so it's YMMV.  I got a set at retail.  Totally worth the cost, great headset.

Yeah, I got burned with the missing USB dongle when I purchased one from AWD.

A brand new pair of Gold Headphones for $85 is a great price and well worth the money.

Yeah I agree with you guys, just poking fun at the recent thread trend lately. I got lucky on mine I guess, won't brag about the price but it came complete.

I've never used the Elites so maybe someone can comment who's used both. The Golds are extremely light and comfy for extended sessions, which I've heard the Elites are on the heavy side and can get irritating.

I got the Pulse Elite and love them. Before that I had a pair of PX4s i returned because I wasnt a fan of them (Or the fact I still had to connect it to a controller)

I suggest getting the Pulse Elites manufactured refurbished from AWD. Basically NiB for $80 and the quality is 10x better than the Golds.
AWD doesn't generally sell refurbs, they list trade-ins and damaged packaging items. Might be from a third party seller. Also, I wouldn't exactly consider refurb as "NiB". And 10x better? Really? Sorry to pick it apart like that, but damn. I assume you have both and have done side by sides to say that. How exactly are they that much better?

The Pulse Elites are terrible for sidetone (the feature that allows you to hear yourself talk).  The sidetone volume is so low that it sounds like you are talking with your hands over your ears.  I find it very distracting when chatting online.  Does anyone know if the Gold headsets are improved for this?

The Pulse Elites are terrible for sidetone (the feature that allows you to hear yourself talk). The sidetone volume is so low that it sounds like you are talking with your hands over your ears. I find it very distracting when chatting online. Does anyone know if the Gold headsets are improved for this?
A tiny bit, but the sidetone's still not great.

I suggest getting the Pulse Elites manufactured refurbished from AWD. Basically NiB for $80 and the quality is 10x better than the Golds.
Strongly disagree. I've owned both and the Golds are going to be better for most people, even at the same price.

Golds are much lighter and more comfortable. Elites are heavy and have a split headband. Combine the two and you get some discomfort during long play sessions. A pulling feeling.

Golds have 2x or more the battery life of the Elites. They have buttons instead of sliders, and they keep all the controls on one cup. They sounded like the same drivers as the Elites -- no major difference in the quality.

The Elite's big advantages are 1) more sound modes/profiles and 2) bass impact. The Golds have bass boost mode, but not the pulsing / shaking the Elites have. I didn't like the Elite's physical shake. It was distracting and didn't really improve immersion in games. Awesome for bass heavy music, though.

And the Elites have a serious design defect. Google "Pulse Elite Crack" and you'll see a lot of pictures and complaints about cracks through the silver piece that connects the cups to the band. If you use them heavily they WILL break. No similar problem with the Golds.

Last edited by a moderator:
The elites also have the headphone jack on the dongle so you can run your TV through them, I couldn't get the golds to do this so I returned them. I have a set of RS170s for watching movies but when I needed to repair them this feature came in real handy.

Anybody compare these to the original Wireless Stereo headsets? I know these have profiles where the original doesn't, but what about performance comfort compared to those?

Got mine when Toys R Us had a 20% of sale, but had to return them because my PS4's Wi-Fi would shut off every time the Golds were turned on. There was no fix provided, and it's happened to plenty others if you check online.

I have both and I must agree the golds are a better build quality and much more comfortable during long gaming sessions. Above poster is right about the cracks through the silver piece in the elites. As mine started to develop them after a couple of months. If I had to pick again it would be the golds everytime.

anyone try these compared to the xbox one stereo headset? from what i read, the simulated 7.1 is so-so....so surround isn't a must have for me at this price point. 

I bought these with my PS4 in February. I've checked them out and worn them, but I haven't used them during playing yet, since I haven't played anything online with anyone on my PS4 yet! I prefer to use it as a headset instead of using them as headphones. If I'm not playing online with friends, I prefer the sound to come from my speakers instead of wearing headphones. It's still in the box until I'm ready to use it, but it feels great on and I'm sure it sounds excellent during play.

I'm still using the 1st gen PS3 wireless headset. It works fine but battery life is terrible. Do you guys think its worth upgrading to the Gold headset?

Can the golds be used while charging if you have a long enough cord?
Yeah sure as long as it's the proper cord. I bought this cord for it because the one it brings is too short.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DH101WQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recommend this headset to anyone that are first starting on these type of headsets. The bass is not strong so I highly recommend you to skip these if you want heavier bass. The battery life is pretty good, about 7 hours or so. I bought these day one, these things are freaking amazing. You can use it to chat with friends too. It took me a while to get use to using it because I was a noob using these accessories but after a while, they were awesome. Can't wait to use these for Watch Dogs and UFC.

Bought these today at BB with pricematch. Charged them, then tried them out with Resogun. Fantastic headphones! I didn't try the xtra bass mode, but did d/l the PS4 app for it. So far these blow away my old Turtle Beach X31s. Sad they don't work with my 360, would love to use them for that too.

I'm still using the 1st gen PS3 wireless headset. It works fine but battery life is terrible. Do you guys think its worth upgrading to the Gold headset?
Not really. The battery life on the Gold headset isn't the greatest either and IMO it's takes forever to recharge. It's a good headset otherwise.

Not really. The battery life on the Gold headset isn't the greatest either and IMO it's takes forever to recharge. It's a good headset otherwise.
Gold battery isn't the best on the market or anything, but it's way better than the original Sony Wireless set --- and it'll be a huge leap over an OG set that's been used a lot and no longer gets peak play time.

I'd say bite on the golds. Best price/performance cans (at MSRP) available

I just bought this on Thursday from Amazon.  Thankfully today, Amazon adjusted the price I was charged, so I got ~$10 credited back.

bread's done
Back