Gears of War 360 controller $35.99 via Ebay

Organization_XIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good price on perhaps the best looking LE controller of that generation (for me it is a tie between this and the Halo 4 forerunner controller).

These were going for ~ $90 new (w/ packaging) not too long ago

I don't know if I really need another controller (okay I don't), but it looks cool and I wanted another one with the transforming d pad. Thanks OP.

A WARNING: I bought a pair of these--1 retail from Target before they were OOP, and another months later off ebay just like this, taken from a console--they have the same fault, if you wave them around at the right angle or, dare I say, slam them down just right (not even with any force) the battery pak/charger pak instantly loses connection.

I found just the right amount of thin masking tape layers inside the frame where the battery pak/charger pak mostly fixes it but once in a while the problem still crops up.

I love the design--despite not being a huge GOW fan--and it's one of the only LE controllers with precision nubs on the analog sticks rather than having the smooth ones, which in my book is worth the inconvenience.

The above issue was more than just that; the controllers of this design are well known to just disconnect.  It's odd because it's an issue common to this model of controller.  I have one and never had it do this to me, but I also rarely use it.  If you have a (black) play and charge kit you could just use that to prevent the potential issue (I think).

There were also people who talked about the right trigger and/or right bumper just not working after a few weeks of play.  That's a big issue, especially for a game like Gears of War.

It looks and feels nice, but just be aware that it could have issues.

Despite having a transforming D-pad for the first time, I didn't like the feel of the gears controller.  I sold mine immediately after getting it.  (at a profit)

It seemed...squeaky.

A WARNING: I bought a pair of these--1 retail from Target before they were OOP, and another months later off ebay just like this, taken from a console--they have the same fault, if you wave them around at the right angle or, dare I say, slam them down just right (not even with any force) the battery pak/charger pak instantly loses connection.

I found just the right amount of thin masking tape layers inside the frame where the battery pak/charger pak mostly fixes it but once in a while the problem still crops up.

I love the design--despite not being a huge GOW fan--and it's one of the only LE controllers with precision nubs on the analog sticks rather than having the smooth ones, which in my book is worth the inconvenience.

The above issue was more than just that; the controllers of this design are well known to just disconnect. It's odd because it's an issue common to this model of controller. I have one and never had it do this to me, but I also rarely use it. If you have a (black) play and charge kit you could just use that to prevent the potential issue (I think).

There were also people who talked about the right trigger and/or right bumper just not working after a few weeks of play. That's a big issue, especially for a game like Gears of War.

It looks and feels nice, but just be aware that it could have issues.
I can also vouch for this. I bought the LE console. Both of the controllers that were packed in had this issue. I had to return them several times to BB to the point where they were getting pretty furious with me and I guess thought I was trying to scam them. I thought I had two working replacements but then realized a short time later one was still having the issue. I tried everything to try to resolve the issue but couldn't. I eventually called MS and they claimed they hadn't heard anything about the issue and I would have to pay to send the controller back to be repaired/replaced. I figured they would just test it and it would probably work fine for them and they would ship it back still broken so I said screw it.

I went in to gamestop with one of these due to right bumper not working. Guy at desk said he would give me $40 for it even after I told him about that. Which beat the GS trade in of like $32 (forget which promos were on at the time).

Although mine did last about 8 months before the bumper stopped working. Bought it originally cause it was an awesome design and the gun skins were going for $25+ on eBay.

He said he thought they would clearance out at stores and he never found one.

I took a shot of my mediocre "solution" to the battery pak disconnect issue:
[attachment=5128:image.jpg]

Again, I still get the disconnection but after using these controllers since they're release--what, two to three years ago now?--and once I got the right amount of layering (the second go 'round I actually used too much tape and couldn't cram the the pak back in) I've only had it come up once every handful of months. :shrug: It is what it is.

And for what it's worth, I've never had any squeaking or failing issues with either of mine aside from the battery but it sounds like I'm in the minority there.

It's a controller design. It's just different paint on an already existing controller. It baffles me how a specific design has such a mechanical problem.

I took a shot of my mediocre "solution" to the battery pak disconnect issue:
attachicon.gif
image.jpg

Again, I still get the disconnection but after using these controllers since they're release--what, two to three years ago now?--and once I got the right amount of layering (the second go 'round I actually used too much tape and couldn't cram the the pak back in) I've only had it come up once every handful of months. :shrug: It is what it is.

And for what it's worth, I've never had any squeaking or failing issues with either of mine aside from the battery but it sounds like I'm in the minority there.
Dude you're over complicating it, all you have to do is use something like a small flat head screwdriver to bend the contact on the battery holder out just a tiny bit so it has good contact with the back of the controller...

i see people complaining about the battery pack, just wanted to mention these controllers just seem kinda defective in general. I had the GOW console and had to exchange them like 4 times at BBY like someone else says they did. I didn't have the battery pack issue, but i had issues with stuff like the right stick sticking and leaving the target floating on screen, the d-pad not registering diagonal presses, and a trigger making a loud creaking noise and not being very responsive. 

Seems these controllers are just kinda crap. SOmeone mentioned this model in general sucked. Are there other designs with this model that should be avoided?

bread's done
Back