* * * * - 5 votes

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked 2 years $60 (50% discount)

#391 justins76   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   233 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:41 AM

Signing up for GCU reminded me why I absolutely never shop at Best Buy.  4 registers, and  over half and hour just to sign up and over and hour to do 3 trade ins too.

Do you get 2x on trade ins and then 2x on video game purchases with a gift card? So my $50 trade in and Mario Kart purchase with that gift card will net me 200 points?

#392 Shaniqwa   BANNED CAGiversary!   2128 Posts   Joined 2.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:44 AM

Was it all paid by gift card? If you didn't use any other form of payment you should. 

#393 dreamer131313   Has been playing Dying Light
XONE

dreamer131313

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:46 AM

Signing up for GCU reminded me why I absolutely never shop at Best Buy. 4 registers, and over half and hour just to sign up and over and hour to do 3 trade ins too.

Do you get 2x on trade ins and then 2x on video game purchases with a gift card? So my $50 trade in and Mario Kart purchase with that gift card will net me 200 points?

purchases paid with gift cards receive no points

#394 Shaniqwa   BANNED CAGiversary!   2128 Posts   Joined 2.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:49 AM

purchases paid with gift cards receive no points

I have received points for purchases paid completely in GC's. If I need to pay tax or something with cash, I only get points on the cash part of the transaction.

#395 Enuf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8180 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:50 AM

Signing up for GCU reminded me why I absolutely never shop at Best Buy.  4 registers, and  over half and hour just to sign up and over and hour to do 3 trade ins too.

You guys need to start alert BB corp mods on the BB forums about these horrible stores it`s the only way it`ll change. Mods have already begun asking. Take the 5 minutes to post your frustration & it`ll save you hours on the back end, not to mention you may get a contact at your local store which we all know can really come in handy.

#396 Commander0Zero   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   867 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Commander0Zero

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:52 AM

So I go to pick up my Mario Kart pre-order. I see some games on clearance and they are an extra 50% off the clearance price. So I get a game. Long story short they wouldn't give me the GCU discount. I decided not to get the game. I wasn't price matching here or anything it was the sale at the store. I mean I really don't like this pick and choose with the GCU. I can understand a price match but this is essentially a sale in store. I dunno just didn't sit right with me. 

Posted Image

#397 GBAstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9103 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:57 AM

So I go to pick up my Mario Kart pre-order. I see some games on clearance and they are an extra 50% off the clearance price. So I get a game. Long story short they wouldn't give me the GCU discount. I decided not to get the game. I wasn't price matching here or anything it was the sale at the store. I mean I really don't like this pick and choose with the GCU. I can understand a price match but this is essentially a sale in store. I dunno just didn't sit right with me. 

Those are usually manager markdowns and are store specific. In theory they should accommodate the GCU discount but in my experience most games aren't even tagged correctly so the discount has to be entered as a price override which IIRC kicks of the GCU discount. A good/smart manager would also add in an additional 20% discount but of course YMMV.

#398 dreamer131313   Has been playing Dying Light
XONE

dreamer131313

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:07 AM

I have received points for purchases paid completely in GC's. If I need to pay tax or something with cash, I only get points on the cash part of the transaction.

I have never received points for gift card purchases and I buy weekly from there with gift cards and either have my friends. And I just double checked by referencing my wolfenstein pre-order paid 100% gift card and no points on that order. also listed here https://my.bestbuy.com/rules

Receiving Points
You may receive points on products you purchase for your personal use at any of the Participating Properties. However, certain products are not eligible for receiving points. Bonus points will not be multiplied.

Non-Qualifying Purchases:purchases made prior to becoming a member, purchases/rentals at rent-to-own locations inside Best Buy stores, instant rebates, pre-orders at the time of deposit (the points will be awarded at the time of final payment or at the time you pick up the product), purchases made for resale, purchases paid with a reward certificate, purchases using any type of promotional financing, Best Buy gift card or Magnolia gift card, Miele appliances bought in AZ, CA, or NV, sales tax, service charges, certain Best Buy for Business or commercial purchases, other excluded charges, and certain items that are excluded in particular promotions. Best Buy entities such as Geek Squad® services purchased in store are awarded points; Geek Squad services purchased in home are not

Those are usually manager markdowns and are store specific. In theory they should accommodate the GCU discount but in my experience most games aren't even tagged correctly so the discount has to be entered as a price override which IIRC kicks of the GCU discount. A good/smart manager would also add in an additional 20% discount but of course YMMV.

when ever I had those manager specials at local best buys near me they have always adjusted the price down with the gcu discount taken off.

#399 GBAstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9103 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:10 AM

when ever I had those manager specials at local best buys near me they have always adjusted the price down with the gcu discount taken off.

I don't doubt it but like you said the price needed to be adjusted down for the GCU discount which means override which means willing manager or lead.

#400 inky1600   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1275 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:10 AM

You get bonus/promotional points like for preordering the selected games regardless of how you pay. Like dreamer said though, you never get the base points for purchases paid with gift cards. You DO get base base points for buying gift cards.

#401 Shaniqwa   BANNED CAGiversary!   2128 Posts   Joined 2.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

Hmmm. I have no idea what I'm talking about then. :oops:

#402 sjchmura   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   54 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

sjchmura

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

Has the $69 price ended? Damn missed it. Can't find price on web dite

#403 Dr0p119   Chief Red Thunder CAGiversary!   1213 Posts   Joined 2.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

Has the $69 price ended? Damn missed it. Can't find price on web dite

Read the 5th post.

#404 Kolgar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   140 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:17 PM

Sale's still going, apparently. I called my BB to ask and the lady at customer service said she'd honor the sale price if it wasn't still going on. I went to the store and the fellow who helped me said it's still going on for $60. No idea for how long, though the lady on the phone reminded me, "our sales go from Sunday through Saturday."

Get on it if you want it!

#405 Dr0p119   Chief Red Thunder CAGiversary!   1213 Posts   Joined 2.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:36 PM

Sale's still going, apparently. I called my BB to ask and the lady at customer service said she'd honor the sale price if it wasn't still going on. I went to the store and the fellow who helped me said it's still going on for $60. No idea for how long, though the lady on the phone reminded me, "our sales go from Sunday through Saturday."

Get on it if you want it!

It was posted above that July 5th was the new end date via employee messages.

#406 TheCochese   I make things out of wood CAGiversary!   12453 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

OK, so I waffled back and forth about doing this and today I did. I looked at it purely like this: was I going to spend $300, or near $300 on new games in the next two years? I thought I might. That's the net sum of zero for the membership right there. Doesn't matter if they are brand spanking day one or not, 20% of $300 is $60.

Then you factor in the certificates, and the pre-order bonuses. If you trade, the trade bonuses. I don't trade, so it doesn't matter much. I should come out well ahead of the upfront cost. Any certs I get I may put toward a TV, depending on expiration.

#407 CaseX   CAG addict CAGiversary!   1843 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:05 PM

It was posted above that July 5th was the new end date via employee messages.

A month+ long sale?  They might as well just say this is the new regular price and call it a day.

#408 kalione  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

I bought it yesterday and I did not received my B2G1 coupon. I called customer service and they told me it MAY be emailed to me in 20 days. Is there anyone who can confirm this?? Thx.

#409 zyk   Has been playing Dying Light
PS4

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

I bought it yesterday and I did not received my B2G1 coupon. I called customer service and they told me it MAY be emailed to me in 20 days. Is there anyone who can confirm this?? Thx.

A number of people on here have said it should be emailed to you a few days after purchase

#410 Giordano86   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   40 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Giordano86

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

I purchased GCU last Sunday and still haven't received my code.  Going to call if I don't get it by this Sunday.

#411 inkcil   I went from "Ashy to Thrifty" CAGiversary!   458 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

I signed up last Monday and never received anything...I'll give it 2 more weeks. 

#412 fenners   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   26 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:52 AM

Don't call - post on the Best Buy "My Gamers Club" forum - you'll get a response quickly during working hours in my experience. They emailed me the coupons this morning after I posted yesterday. 

#413 Enuf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8180 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:04 AM

OK, so I waffled back and forth about doing this and today I did. I looked at it purely like this: was I going to spend $300, or near $300 on new games in the next two years? I thought I might. That's the net sum of zero for the membership right there. Doesn't matter if they are brand spanking day one or not, 20% of $300 is $60.

Then you factor in the certificates, and the pre-order bonuses. If you trade, the trade bonuses. I don't trade, so it doesn't matter much. I should come out well ahead of the upfront cost. Any certs I get I may put toward a TV, depending on expiration.

Another X-factor is that knowing you have the 20% is that you may spend more than normal.

A month+ long sale?  They might as well just say this is the new regular price and call it a day.

I think it`s b/c of E3 if they can ride the 20% + $10 credit wave w/50% GCU then it`ll pay off Oct-Dec when it really matters. Then all those pts/certs will fuel spending thru 2015 & future releases. People tend to be creatures of habit so if you get used to spending 20% less everyday @ BB other retailer deals will look bleh. And by the time your sub ends you`re ready to renew no hesitation.
Who knows what the program will be in 2 yrs but chances are good with a larger install base additions will continue.
http://www.forums.be...-60/ba-p/811954

#414 chnandler_bong   There are...no strings on me CAGiversary!   1461 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago   Has been playing Destiny
XONE

chnandler_bong

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:13 AM

A number of people on here have said it should be emailed to you a few days after purchase

Yes true...but let's look at it from this angle...

Has anyone that signed up in the last week or so received any coupons in their email?

ach.png

xkcd comics: Zealous Autoconfig | RTFM | Borders | A random comic strip

Start a new OneDrive cloud storage account with 30.5 GB free using my referral link!  :arrow: https://onedrive.live.com/?invref=afc51643977efa00&invsrc=90.  Let me know if you use my referral and get a free Vudu credit, UV movie, or game DLC!

#415 Shaniqwa   BANNED CAGiversary!   2128 Posts   Joined 2.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:20 AM

No, someone pointed that out on the Best Buy forums.

#416 TheCochese   I make things out of wood CAGiversary!   12453 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:36 AM

I didn't realize you got double points on the membership itself. Sweet.

#417 sirpikaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   461 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:09 AM

yup, bought last week and no coupons or any e-mail of any kind.

#418 JohnnySucco   Has been playing Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare
PS4

JohnnySucco

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

I followed the advice of posting in the Best Buy forums after not receiving my Welcome Email Packet.  I received a private message within 24 hours.  When he reviewed my account he said that I was set to opt-out of promotional emails from Best Buy (strange considering I was still receiving promo emails from them at that email address).  He said he fixed the issue and sent me the coupons via private message.  If you have not received the coupons by this point I highly recommend going about it this way.

I have a question about the coupons.  They appear to be in store only but my local store has a very slim selection of used games and nothing I want.  Anyone go about it by placing an order, and having it shipped to store and using the coupon at that time?   I am thinking about trying it but nothing ever runs smoothly at my local store and every time I do something out of the ordinary they have a tendency to call over management who act like they are straight out of the Gestapo (how I envy those of you near stores where the employees just don't care).   I just want to verify that someone has done this before attempting it. 

#419 Enuf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8180 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

I followed the advice of posting in the Best Buy forums after not receiving my Welcome Email Packet.  I received a private message within 24 hours.  When he reviewed my account he said that I was set to opt-out of promotional emails from Best Buy (strange considering I was still receiving promo emails from them at that email address).  He said he fixed the issue and sent me the coupons via private message.  If you have not received the coupons by this point I highly recommend going about it this way.

I have a question about the coupons.  They appear to be in store only but my local store has a very slim selection of used games and nothing I want.  Anyone go about it by placing an order, and having it shipped to store and using the coupon at that time?   I am thinking about trying it but nothing ever runs smoothly at my local store and every time I do something out of the ordinary they have a tendency to call over management who act like they are straight out of the Gestapo (how I envy those of you near stores where the employees just don't care).   I just want to verify that someone has done this before attempting it.

Buy the games you want but do not connect your mybb info. Return them at CS & ask to rebuy using the coupons let them know if they were online use you wouldn`t need to bother.

#420 rcerboss  

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

You do realize that when you do site to store you actually pay online right?  All you are doing at the store is actually picking it up.  I have still tried something similar to what you are asking in the past with no luck.

well i asked whether you stood behind your opinions and you said "Always" so i offered up the same bet that i gave to Fire Thief. You think the price of the xbox one will drop to $300 + 2 games by end of year? Let's put a bet on it.

WHERE'S MY CHILDS PLAY DONATION CONFUCIUS!?