* * * * * 1 votes

2014 Half Price Books Thread- Post Finds Here!

#1 MasaTFC   Vortex of Failure CAGiversary!   5047 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:06 AM

I figure since there seems to be some good finds at HPB lately, might as well have a thread for it (keeping the Thrift Store thread clean from such finds).

Fire Away!!!

Useful Info Concerning Pricing (as this is a YMMV situation)-

Squarehard sez

"They use Amazon used market prices.

Usually if there is something that you feel is priced too high you can actually go to the back counter, and speak to the stock manager, and you can haggle with them as long as it allows them to.  The way it works with HPB is that they have two types of items, ones that can be changed in price due to either high demand/very rare), or the others which will allow them to move up and down on the price depending on what the Amazon marketplace has it marked as the lowest, and go from there.

Every single store that I've ever been to uses Amazon marketplace to price their items, but HPB also do NOT half set prices on anything except their books, since they are pre-priced on the books themselves, but the prices they put in their stores are all suggested prices, and those prices will vary from HPB to HPB.  It really just depends on a particular HPB, and their stock manager, and how he prices things, and the possibility of haggling with them on certain items.

It's also good to check the dates of the price stickers on items as those items are usually the ones that they will be more than willing to haggle on if it's been sitting on the shelves for more than 3 months, and they just want to get it out of the store.

They never price things with any of the coupons in mind since the coupons don't happen all the time, but it also fluctuates from store to store depending on the staff."

So there is that! Thanks!

#2 kickrockz713   Say it again CAGiversary!   10675 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

kickrockz713

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:18 AM

Waiting for the next 40% coupon so I can grab a Tekken 6 and Street Fighter 25th anniversary collector's editions. Would be $42 for both of them. Hurry up HPB

Gimme Gimme
Spoiler

#3 Ironman8   King CAGiversary!   1210 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:23 AM

Thanks anyways. 

#4 MasaTFC   Vortex of Failure CAGiversary!   5047 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:33 AM

Waiting for the next 40% coupon so I can grab a Tekken 6 and Street Fighter 25th anniversary collector's editions. Would be $42 for both of them. Hurry up HPB

Gimme Gimme

Spoiler

I saw a copy of the SF collection at one about a month ago for 59.99, probably should have grabbed it.

That fight stick is surprisingly good for what it is! I am glad I have mine, although I think I will be parting ways with it soon since I am finishing my 360 backlog to move onwards towards the PS3

#5 Ferrari Racer   Banned CAGiversary!   6722 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Ferrari Racer

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:40 AM

Haven't been there for a while. Last time I bought something for a great deal was a black Wii with a motion plus controller for $50 over 2 years ago thanks to a coupon.

#6 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2739 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:32 AM

Half Price Books not Half Priced Books.

#7 vantheman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1274 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

Found a fire emblem radiant dawn on the wii for 24.99 before 20% off. It's absolutely mint as well, and came with all the inserts :D

#8 Lord Darias   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   213 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Lord Darias

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

Got a Shenmue 2 for the Xbox for $2. Just game and case. No manual or bonus DVD...It was in the clearance section.

#9 MasaTFC   Vortex of Failure CAGiversary!   5047 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:50 AM

Half Price Books not Half Priced Books.

Spell check does not help with being a moron lol. Adjusted, thanks!

#10 The Lord of Awesome   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1090 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

The Lord of Awesome

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:26 AM

Cause of the out of city college in the middle of no where I havn't been able to really go to the HPB at home much, last year I got Mega Man Legends 2 for 5 bucks in LN condition and Gorillaz Demon Days vinyl for 30ish bucks thanks to a coupon

#11 highoffcoffee496   I gotta believe! CAGiversary!   1449 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

highoffcoffee496

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:56 AM

Not a great find but I'm happy with it because I mainly collect PS1/PS2. $14 total. 

Pnh7OvS.jpg

#12 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2349 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

found at my local HPB:

Sealed Crimson Gem Saga PSP 14.99

Sealed Class of Heroes PSP 9.99

Sealed Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 psp 14.99

That last one is very interesting. I cannot find a single piece of info online about this being released in NA. The case says region one and the writing on it IS in english, but as far as I can tell, this was never actually released here in the states. Not really sure what to make of this...maybe it was released in South America? but then, why would the writing be in english...anyone have any info on it?

#13 MasaTFC   Vortex of Failure CAGiversary!   5047 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

found at my local HPB:

Sealed Crimson Gem Saga PSP 14.99

Sealed Class of Heroes PSP 9.99

Sealed Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 psp 14.99

That last one is very interesting. I cannot find a single piece of info online about this being released in NA. The case says region one and the writing on it IS in english, but as far as I can tell, this was never actually released here in the states. Not really sure what to make of this...maybe it was released in South America? but then, why would the writing be in english...anyone have any info on it?

this is from the US PS site, says December was the release date

do you have a pic of the rating label?

#14 airblade   MexiCAG CAGiversary!   688 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:33 AM

I was really surprised when I found this.

Complete in box and the box is in mint condition.

O_O

Indy64.JPG

#15 IDreamcasterI  

IDreamcasterI

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:24 AM

Picked up Super Smash Bros. Brawl today for $14.99.  Not an amazing deal but the game/case were in excellent shape so I couldn't pass it up.

#16 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:19 AM

Thanks for the dedicated thread!  My local has a complete mint copy of Guardian Heroes priced at $60 that just came in recently, waiting for a 50% off coupon for that one...

#17 IDreamcasterI  

IDreamcasterI

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the dedicated thread!  My local has a complete mint copy of Guardian Heroes priced at $60 that just came in recently, waiting for a 50% off coupon for that one...

I would just buy it now if you can afford it.  Its easily a $90-100 game, chances are someone is going to snatch it up before a sale.

#18 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

I would just buy it now if you can afford it.  Its easily a $90-100 game, chances are someone is going to snatch it up before a sale.

Yeah its a good price as it is, and I can afford it, but waiting for a coupon always justifies it for me.  I can live without it if I miss out though, its part of the fun for me.  Maybe I'll bite at a 30% off.

That's why I do like HPB, they typically price things reasonable enough that I could buy something at every trip and still get a good deal.

#19 Nightcrawler13   Go Stros! CAGiversary!   577 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Nightcrawler13

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:52 PM

When is the next HPB coupon supposed to drop? Seems like a while since the last one.

#20 mark_IV   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   292 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:12 AM

When is the next HPB coupon supposed to drop? Seems like a while since the last one.

If you sign up for the mailing list on their website you'll get a coupon for 10% off. Be sure to enter a birthday as well for a 15% off coupon. While those coupons aren't a huge savings every little bit does help.

#21 midlifecrisisMkII  

midlifecrisisMkII

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

There should be some kind of sale for the 4th of July.   Don't know if it'll be a week long one or just a "20% off" for the three-day weekend.

#22 Domo7   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   261 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:17 AM

My local has Haunting Ground for $50, do you guys think that is a reasonable price? They also have Rule of Rose for $100 but I dont have the funds for that haha 

#23 MasaTFC   Vortex of Failure CAGiversary!   5047 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:20 AM

My local has Haunting Ground for $50, do you guys think that is a reasonable price? They also have Rule of Rose for $100 but I dont have the funds for that haha 

Well, Haunting Ground for 50 bones is somewhat reasonable. I would say trade stuff in towards it if you can, albeit you wont get much in trade I would thing (they tend to buy cheap, sell at market value). I would be tempted to dump some junk on them to knock off some of that price.

100 bucks for rule of rose...again, that is cheaper than ebay (most auctions anyway). But if you don't have the funds than better look elsewhere.

I can only imagine that 1. those came from the same collection and 2. that person got 40 bucks total lol.

#24 Domo7   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   261 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:16 AM

Well, Haunting Ground for 50 bones is somewhat reasonable. I would say trade stuff in towards it if you can, albeit you wont get much in trade I would thing (they tend to buy cheap, sell at market value). I would be tempted to dump some junk on them to knock off some of that price.

100 bucks for rule of rose...again, that is cheaper than ebay (most auctions anyway). But if you don't have the funds than better look elsewhere.

I can only imagine that 1. those came from the same collection and 2. that person got 40 bucks total lol.

Oh yeah, Im sure that person got like nothing for those haha. Ok maybe ill see what I can get for some random stuff around the house. What about Kuon (PS2) I looked it up and it seems pretty rare, it was only like $15 at the store. It seemed a lot higher online everywhere I looked and there was only one auction on ebay for the English one.

#25 kickrockz713   Say it again CAGiversary!   10675 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

kickrockz713

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

Posted this in the HPB thread but in case you missed it

Alrighty guys get ready because its back.

Monday & Tuesday 7/14 & 7/15 = 40% off your highest priced item

Wednesday & Thursday 7/16 & 7/17 = 20%

Friday & Saturday 7/18 & 7/19 = 30%

Sunday 7/20 = 50%

Spoiler

#26 MasaTFC   Vortex of Failure CAGiversary!   5047 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:00 AM

Posted this in the HPB thread but in case you missed it

Alrighty guys get ready because its back.

Monday & Tuesday 7/14 & 7/15 = 40% off your highest priced item

Wednesday & Thursday 7/16 & 7/17 = 20%

Friday & Saturday 7/18 & 7/19 = 30%

Sunday 7/20 = 50%

Spoiler

didn't get my email yet, thanks for posting this!

I think last week I saw a CIB copy of Gaires for Genesis @ $49.99 which I may have them hole if it is still there.

#27 Bing147   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1181 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Well, first day of the sale and I did okay. Also saw a few things I want to go back and get over the next few days if i can at one location.

I wanted to go to 4 stores but have to work early today so only got to go to 2.

First HPB:

Shining Force (Genesis, Cart Only): $11.99 (was $19.99)-They had this forever, I finally bit with the coupon as I had 2 but not the original.

Kabuki: Quantum Fighter (NES): $4.99 (no discount, just a solid price and I'd wanted this one)

Double Dragon (NES): $7.99 (again, no discount, somehow didn't have this one so grabbed it)

Second HPB:

Dragon's Fury (Genesis, in box): $9.00 (Was $15.00)

#28 IDreamcasterI  

IDreamcasterI

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:45 AM

Picked up: 

Resident Evil Outbreak (PS2)             $4.79

God of War Origins Collection (PS3)  $3.59

I did O.K.

#29 MasaTFC   Vortex of Failure CAGiversary!   5047 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:59 AM

Picked up a bunch of crap today

Rayman Raving Rabbids Wii

Naruto Clash of the Ninjas Revolution Wii

Naruto Clash of the Ninjas Revolution 3 Wii x2

Lemony Snickett Gamecube

Scooby Doo Mystery Mayhem Gamecube

Lego Star Wars Gamecube

all for a buck a piece in the clearance section. couldn't bite on any of the regular priced games, even with the coupon. Katamari on 360 was almost a choice though, but since I am getting out of the 360 game I passed.

#30 Squarehard   Nyaa~ CAGiversary!   21186 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

photo-23.jpg