Cheap Ass Mp3's

Their "Legal" page is a bit ambiguous about what kind of rights they have to "sell" the songs...they say that they are complying with "Russian copyright law" - I'm no copyright expert but it's my understanding that the copyright laws of one country do not transfer into another...I have a feeling what you'd be paying for is about as legal as using LimeWire or KaZaA would be.

I was just about to say what Custer said, there's really no leagal protection from the RIAA, concidering how lax Russian copyright laws seem to be (when you concider half the ROM sites in existance are russian) it kinda makes you wonder how quickly being a cheap ass will result in a lawsuit and hefty fine.

But as long as your going by their rules, doesnt that make it legal? Can the RiAA nail you because the service is from another country??

[quote name='Ericnmel99']But as long as your going by their rules, doesnt that make it legal? Can the RiAA nail you because the service is from another country??[/quote]

Yes, illegal...

Here is a detailed explanation about the legality of allofmp3.com.
Legal?
I have been using it for about 15 months, and I love it. You pick your codec and encoding rate and pay $0.01 per mg, so it's between $.05 and $.10 a song, depending on the quality you want. You can also choose to get songs directly encoded from the original CDs with absolutely no loss in quality. And the site requires no propreitary software--finally. I guess it takes Reds to do it Right.

I've been looking for a good pay MP3 site for a while now, and I am joining as soon as I get home from work tonight. The overall combination of value. selection, and music quality is unmatched compared to all of the other major pay MP3 sites out there.
The Reds did indeed get it right!

So this site is Ok?? I'm gunna try it out and see what happens. Worst comes to worst I gest sued...I'll blame it on my 7 year old son.

Allofmp3 has signed agreements with Russian copyrights holders. They can legally offer music by all artists and from all labels.

note the Russian copyright holders.. should that be true, then yes it is legal for a Russian resident to use this site. If you're in a different country, then no, this doesn't fly. And the link doesn't discuss its legality, just says it is.

From that site:

Now lets look at the US law. You can legally acquire music from anyone who has a legitimate right to distribute it. You can buy from a iTunes, because it was licensed by RIAA, you can buy it from Canada, if it is licensed by CRIA, you can buy it from Russia, if it was licensed by ROMS. Now the key difference is that RIAA and CRIA need to obtain licenses from songwriters and artists. ROMS owns rights to intellectual property automatically.

Well, I signed up this weekend and I must say this site is great. Very quick downloads, good selection and you cant beat the price compared to the other Pay MP3 sites. I would definatly reccomend it to anyone!!!

[quote name='FeldBum']From that site:

Now lets look at the US law. You can legally acquire music from anyone who has a legitimate right to distribute it. You can buy from a iTunes, because it was licensed by RIAA, you can buy it from Canada, if it is licensed by CRIA, you can buy it from Russia, if it was licensed by ROMS. Now the key difference is that RIAA and CRIA need to obtain licenses from songwriters and artists. ROMS owns rights to intellectual property automatically.[/quote]

So according to russian law, the russian music industry owns all content created outside russia?

That makes very little sense.

Since when does anything in russia make sence? All i know is that i just payed $10 for 160 songs. thats 16 cents a song. Better than paying .99 at Itunes.

[quote name='xboxgamer']can you burn the songs to a cd[/quote]

Yeah once you download them to your pc you can do anything you want with them.

bread's done
Back