Sony Gold Wireless Headphones - $79.99 at Newegg Shell Shocker right now

How does this compare to the Pulse and Pulse Elite? Would this in any way be considered an upgrade?

How easy is it to switch between this and hdmi audio output on the ps4?
I just got a pair and it auto switches when you turn the headset on which is very convenient. make sure to change the headset settings the first time (defaults to only chat). another tip is to download the headset companion app which allows you to customize your own or import a pre-made setting to the "#2" audio option on the headset (needs to be plugged in via usb to do this). for example, they just added a watch dogs audio template that i imported into the headset. it works great so far and way more convenient then my tritton axpros!

I really like my Sony Pulse Elite, and I don't think I'll be getting a PS4 for at least another year.    So this sounds like a great deal, but I'll wait until I have a PS4, I guess and hope that there's a similar deal when that happens.

Does this work on Xbox One for Chat and Game Audio?
Yes and no. Not fully wireless, and you still need the MS Chat Adapter that plugs into the controller. At which point, these also come with a standard audio cable (smartphone headphones) that plugs into the headphones and then into a device (iphone, android, or in this case: the xbox one chat adapter).

For the PS4, this has a usb dongle that plugs in the front of the ps4 and then that's it. It's fully wireless (no wire to the controller). The usb dongle also works fine on Win7/8 (chat and audio). And the audio cable works with devices like the vita, iphone, etc.

It charges over microUSB for wireless use; I don't think it needs a charge when used with wire. The "virtual 5.1" only works with PS3/4; not with PC or any of the wired methods.

Edit: of note, the PS4 controller has a standard smartphone headset jack in the bottom. So if you won't care about the wire going from controller to headset, then any wired iphone/smartphone headset will work as a stereo headset (all audio or chat only).

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked out some of the reviews on this headset. Most people have noted a lack of sound quality along with some discomfort due to minimal padding in the earpads themselves. The price is good at $79.99 but thinking I would rather apply that $80 towards some TB PX4's. Hmmm. :wall:

How does this compare to the Pulse and Pulse Elite? Would this in any way be considered an upgrade?
I wouldn't call them an upgrade but similar. The pulse elites and golds sound similar, I think the elites have more bass and sound "louder" than the golds, they also have more presets available at once stored on the headset while the golds only get one "custom" preset that you can change. The only thing that the golds have over the elites is that they are more comfortable to wear for longer periods.

This is just my own personal experience. My Pulse (not pulse elite) interferes with the wifi signal on my ps4. If I use my pulse, I cannot do anything like watch amazon instant video, wwe app or download games. As soon as I pull the dongle from the front of the ps4, the situation fixes itself.

Odd, I know but I realized that this could be the problem after reading that someone had a similar problem with a turtle beach headset and the ps4.

I'd really like to get these, but I fear that the sidetone problem that the Pulse Elites have will be the same in these headphones.  You basically cannot hear yourself talk because it is so low, so when chatting the sound of your own voice is muffled which is very distracting.  This is not a problem for several other headphones (such as Turtle Beach) that I have.  Does anyone have any experience with this on the Golds?

I know that both the elites and the golds have the option to hear yourself, and if you hold the mute button you can adjust how much you can hear yourself.

bread's done
Back