* * * * * 23 votes

Steam Deals Thread V12 ~ Summer Sale on Now!

#1021 travathian   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1885 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:41 AM

So if I'm looking for a fun card game to play with someone would you guys recommend MTG or that Hearthstone thing I see people talking about?  Or are they even similar?  I know nothing about card games really, but figured if there's a free option that is good, it can save me some money.  Also, do any or both of these require good graphic cards or can they run on crappy/older ones?

Spectromancer

It was $2 from Amazon for the complete pack during the Winter sale, hope you and everyone else picked it up despite all the DRM whining people had. It has a campaign, deck building, draft tournaments all SP or MP. It is not nearly as complex as MTG as far as cards, but can be more complex in terms of gameplay and metagaming. You can sit down and play a single game in just a few minutes. It is pretty much my goto quick time waster. And the devs continue to make slight balancing tweaks to the game.

#1022 Dr Sasquatch   Trivial Hirsute CAGiversary!   1560 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Dr Sasquatch

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:44 AM

I'm not sure if Magic has the same issue (probably) but the biggest problem with Hearthstone is that since it's been out for a while new players will get stomped on once they try to rank past 20ish.  And 'casual' mode is filled with people who tank their win/loss rating so they can farm out the 100 gold win total 'mini-quest.'  So... you're almost always going to be playing with someone who has a massive card advantage over you.  Yes, there are players who can get to the top with basic cards but they represent maybe the top 10% of the player base.

The beginning of the month can be rough because that is when the ladder resets. I will say that a little bit of netdecking and a lot of playing the meta can go a long way. Last month was my first full season, and I got to rank 5 just playing a cheap priest deck with no legendaries and a druid deck with one. Most people are playing handlock, zoo, or shockadin right now, so a decent midrange deck with some board clears can rank up pretty easily.

#1023 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   9941 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:51 AM

Well it's not just the legendaries it's the rares and even non-basic expert cards, too.  Someone completely new will be at a significant disadvantage.

#1024 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16774 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:51 AM

Spectromancer

It was $2 from Amazon for the complete pack during the Winter sale, hope you and everyone else picked it up despite all the DRM whining people had.

But the "whining" had a point. There's no reason to tack on additional 3rd party DRM with limited activations when you are selling a game on Steam. That's an antiquated way of thinking that only some Europeans living in the last century still insist on doing. Worse yet, the developer initially did not list that DRM on the Steam store page, refused to do it when called out on and only after many months of badgering finally did have it listed.

If pointing that sort of thing out is whining then so be it. Personally, it's something I want to know about. I happen to be one of those who bought it before the draconian additional DRM was disclosed and I'm still not happy about it.

steam_sig.png
go find another forum to clog up with your chunky stink
-jle7385

#1025 SqueeMK2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1316 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:04 AM

I don't know how the computer and the physical version align, but the physical 2015 set of Magic: the Gathering comes out on July 17th.  This sale might be them getting their last hurrah in for the 2014 set.  That won't make it less playable for someone just playing the computer version though I don't know how long the DLC packs will be available.  Any M:tG Duels of the Plainswalkers 2013 players want to weigh in?

Each Duels of the Planeswalkers is entirely independent from the others, so the only thing you'd "Lose" with a new version coming out is presumably the majority of people who play in online matchmaker games would move to the new one. There's also no direct deck overlap between the games. There are some similar decks but no 1:1 duplicates. No need to be concerned about the older ones becoming obsolete unless you do a lot of multiplayer with strangers.

That said, they inexplicably no longer sell the first of the modern Duels of the Planeswalkers (the one from 2010. The real first DotP was '98) for whatever reason. Which is kind of a shame because out of all of them that one had the most iconic decks. Blue asshole control/discard, red burn, big green creatures, etc. The decks in the other games definitely aren't bad, it's just that none of them were as much the standard staple for each color.

Been talking an awful lot about cards today. On that topic I guess I'll say I played a little Dead Man's Draw. Not the same kind of card game as MTG or Hearthstone but seems enjoyable. Looks worth the $2.50.

Spectromancer

It was $2 from Amazon for the complete pack during the Winter sale, hope you and everyone else picked it up despite all the DRM whining people had. It has a campaign, deck building, draft tournaments all SP or MP. It is not nearly as complex as MTG as far as cards, but can be more complex in terms of gameplay and metagaming. You can sit down and play a single game in just a few minutes. It is pretty much my goto quick time waster. And the devs continue to make slight balancing tweaks to the game.

Also this. Spectromancer's pretty good stuff. You don't do deckbuilding in it either (Not for reals deckbuilding at least) but it's a damn fine card game. Complexity's roughly above Hearthstone and under Magic. I'd definitely give a thumbs up to that one too.

#1026 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20134 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:06 AM

Spectromancer

Thanks for the heads up.  Tremor Games still has a bunch in stock, so I might try to get it from there.  

Interested in multiplayer and co-op events on Steam?  Then join Spoderbro and Foxbro's Multiplayer and Bro-Op Steam group!  Add me on Steam for an invite:  http://steamcommunit...d/cheaplikeafox

#1027 lostnumber  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:10 AM

Anybody interested in seeing some extremely blatant plagiarism?

http://www.amazon.co...&qid=1402020432

Seems someone really likes Half-Life.

Do the world a favor and contact whoever the hell needs to be contacted in order to get this person sued into the ground.

Here's the publisher's page btw.

https://www.tatepubl...8-1-63122-635-9

Source: The Half-Life 2 boards on Steam. Only 2 posts on the topic but people need to know.

http://steamcommunit...29358511032549/

Space... the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Lollipop. It's continuing mission, to take a sweet trip to the candy shop, to seek out new bon-bons and new lemonade stands. to boldly go to Peppermint Bay.

#1028 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20134 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:33 AM

I don't know if plagiarism is the right term for whatever they're doing.  Either way, Gabe is a big boy, he can take care of this if he wants.  Valve certainly doesn't need or deserve consumers fighting their battles for them.  

Interested in multiplayer and co-op events on Steam?  Then join Spoderbro and Foxbro's Multiplayer and Bro-Op Steam group!  Add me on Steam for an invite:  http://steamcommunit...d/cheaplikeafox

#1029 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16774 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:38 AM

I don't know if plagiarism is the right term for whatever they're doing.  Either way, Gabe is a big boy, he can take care of this if he wants.  Valve certainly doesn't need or deserve consumers fighting their battles for them.  

What? You don't think Valve fights for consumers?

steam_sig.png
-jle7385

#1030 snakeybro   Banned Banned   9668 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

Do the world a favor and contact whoever the hell needs to be contacted in order to get this person sued into the ground.

Source: The Half-Life 2 boards on Steam. Only 2 posts on the topic but people need to know.

Its called Half Life fan fiction  ;)

Now Playing:  :3ds: Shovel Knight, Zelda: ALBW, Kirby Triple Deluxe    :ps3: RE5 Gold, Mafia II, Bayonetta, RE4   :ps4: GTA V 

:xb1: Watch_Dogs, Evil Within, Sleeping Dogs, Dead Rising 3, Shadow Warrior, Far Cry 4, Alien, Halo MCC  

:wiiu: Shovel Knight NG+, RE Revelations, Darksiders II, Batman Arkham Origins, Shantae & The Pirate's Curse, Captain Toad, Bayo 2, Ducktales Remastered

solidSNAKE231989.png

768817.png

#1031 tyfreak   Banned Banned   766 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:44 AM

Both fun. Hearthstone will be a lot easier to get into. If you are looking to play with someone, playing co-op against the AI can provide much more lasting fun than going 1v1 in Hearthstone over and over.

Gunpoint is awesome and Tom Francis rules. It doesn't get said enough.

Do you really want all those sealed deck slots? You can edit your sealed decks with this guy.

2013's stuff is still all buyable and playable. Same with 2012. Neither of those seem to get sales anymore, though, so this might be a good time to pick this one up. And yes, 2015 will be out pretty soon (maybe the same time as the physical set?).

I don't think you would or should want them at all. You can always try it out while it is free and also try the deckbuilder mod and if you want more slots but are not comfortable using the mod... then it might be worth it.

interesting is 2015 u can full deck building me like me no like constraints hehe i wait sorry  Magic 2015 deck buidling customization my type hehe. too bad konami wont put yugioh trading card on pc man i would buy it to duel yall a

#1032 Waggles   What the funk n waggle you talkin' bout? CAGiversary!   4178 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:46 AM

tumblr_loyj16Gx1r1qjudon.gif

Steams: Wagglesworth       PSN: Taylort210   

#1033 juanjava   El ojo en el cielo CAGiversary!   4012 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:46 AM

I'll ask again (maybe Idiot can answer this) about TSW...

Should I buy the issues in order? I just received 1200 bonus points. A lot of people state issue #7 is the best, but I read they should be played in order and after I ended all the game content. I know I'm too far from it (still at kingsmouth), but I don't think I want any boost or cosmetic stuff from the store...

#1034 indef  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:47 AM

Screw suing that guy, Valve needs to hire him since he actually is showing an interest in Half Life.

#1035 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20134 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:49 AM

Its called Half Life fan fiction  ;)

Yeah, I have a HL fan fiction site:

www.nuclearnasties.com (HL Erotica - NSFW)

#1036 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8691 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:55 AM

Uh... Doesn't anyone remember that this is now legally possible?

http://www.amazon.co...ocId=1001197421

Gabe can't do anything but give the man a job.

#1037 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16774 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:00 AM

Yeah, I have a HL fan fiction site:

www.nuclearnasties.com (HL Erotica - NSFW)

Throw in Anime and call it H Life and Idiotekque is sold!

steam_sig.png
-jle7385

#1038 Preedatore   Hamburger Thread CAGiversary!   1521 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:00 AM

Only tcg I ever played was GI Joe.

I give it 4 Skystrikers out of 5.

#1039 Bacon Parade   ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ CAGiversary!   673 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Bacon Parade

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:08 AM

You nerds and your TCGs, how about playing a real man's game like Pogs.

Tiger_Driver.png

Spoiler

#1040 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10323 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:04 AM

You nerds and your TCGs, how about playing a real man's game like Pogs.

After my son and I play Magic: the Gathering, we wrap up with a game of Bloody Knuckles.

#1041 xanchui   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   526 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:22 AM

Should I buy the issues in order? I just received 1200 bonus points. A lot of people state issue #7 is the best, but I read they should be played in order and after I ended all the game content. I know I'm too far from it (still at kingsmouth), but I don't think I want any boost or cosmetic stuff from the store...

I'd use the points for Issue #9, which just came out, and get the Massive Edition when it's on sale for #5-7. It'll give you 2 keys, so you can sell the base TSW key and just add the extra content to your account.

76561198013594274.png

#1042 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8919 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:25 AM

But the "whining" had a point. There's no reason to tack on additional 3rd party DRM with limited activations when you are selling a game on Steam. That's an antiquated way of thinking that only some Europeans living in the last century still insist on doing. Worse yet, the developer initially did not list that DRM on the Steam store page, refused to do it when called out on and only after many months of badgering finally did have it listed.

If pointing that sort of thing out is whining then so be it. Personally, it's something I want to know about. I happen to be one of those who bought it before the draconian additional DRM was disclosed and I'm still not happy about it.

[MYSTERD INTENSIFIES]

Eh, of the issues I have, and have played through, there's no point to playing them in order. Is there a "better" order of them to play through? Maybe. Does it matter, and are they a connected storyline? Nah.

Just look around, see which issue has the stuff you think is the coolest (depending on what people think, what areas the missions take place in, what rewards the missions give, etc), and grab that one. A few of the issues add new auxiliary weapons, like the flamethrower and whip, so if you're interested in one of those, there you go.

bZ2g3eF.png

#1043 lostnumber  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:04 AM

Uh... Doesn't anyone remember that this is now legally possible?

http://www.amazon.co...ocId=1001197421

Gabe can't do anything but give the man a job.

And yet you have the word "candy" in the title of your game and it's punishable by death.

After looking furthur into it only certain works can be used. Half-Life is not one of them and the list of approved content is slim.

This is the list of approved Fan fiction that can be sold under that program.

https://kindleworlds..._=kww_faq_nav_1

Anything else if sold for profit would still break copyright laws.

Space... the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Lollipop. It's continuing mission, to take a sweet trip to the candy shop, to seek out new bon-bons and new lemonade stands. to boldly go to Peppermint Bay.

#1044 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20134 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:07 AM

After my son and I play Magic: the Gathering, we wrap up with a game of Bloody Knuckles.

Real men play ball tap and nipple twist.  

#1045 Dr Sasquatch   Trivial Hirsute CAGiversary!   1560 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Dr Sasquatch

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:11 AM

interesting is 2015 u can full deck building me like me no like constraints hehe i wait sorry  Magic 2015 deck buidling customization my type hehe. too bad konami wont put yugioh trading card on pc man i would buy it to duel yall a

Exactly!

#1046 Idiotekque   couch slave CAGiversary!   8919 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:16 AM

Screw all these new fangled nerd TCGs. This was the shit when I was a kid:

bZ2g3eF.png

#1047 iSerra   With the new day comes new thoughts CAGiversary!   1110 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:19 AM

Could you (or another DotP 2014 familiar CAG) explain the whole Sealed Play thing?

I have not tried the digital version but in the physical MTG sealed deck game, you are provided with either a starter deck or some boosters packs. You have to build your deck from only that limited pool of cards so it is a test of your deck building skills.

The difference between sealed deck and booster draft is that in booster draft, you and the other players will be building the deck from the same pool of cards. Each person will take turn to pick a card from the booster packs. You don't have to use all the cards that you picked, just build a deck with a minimum of 40 cards like the sealed deck. As for the remaining cards, you can use them as your sideboard.

Tezikwi.png My sword sings more beautifully than any choir. Tezikwi.png

#1048 snakeybro   Banned Banned   9668 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:28 AM

Shovel Knight finally coming out June 26th on steam.

Now Playing:  :3ds: Shovel Knight, Zelda: ALBW, Kirby Triple Deluxe    :ps3: RE5 Gold, Mafia II, Bayonetta, RE4   :ps4: GTA V 

:xb1: Watch_Dogs, Evil Within, Sleeping Dogs, Dead Rising 3, Shadow Warrior, Far Cry 4, Alien, Halo MCC  

:wiiu: Shovel Knight NG+, RE Revelations, Darksiders II, Batman Arkham Origins, Shantae & The Pirate's Curse, Captain Toad, Bayo 2, Ducktales Remastered

solidSNAKE231989.png

768817.png

#1049 shrinerr   NOT THE BEES! CAGiversary!   1132 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:08 AM

so should i call Child Services now or does your kid tell his/her classmates he/she fell down the stairs?

#1050 Klawd   Beware my power! CAGiversary!   419 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:14 AM

All this talk about Magic: the Gathering and then the weekend sale on M:tG is making me consider picking up the game.  Anyone who has played M:tG is the DLC in GOLD GAME, or GOLD COMPLETE worth the extra money?  Or should I just consider picking up the base game for 2.49? 

76561198088586872.png