[PC] Defiance is now Free to Play

Deadhead

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
For anyone interested Defiance the PC game went Free to Play today, and will go Free to Play on Xbox 360 and PS3 in the future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOWNLOAD

Defiance on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/224600/
Defiance on http://www.defiance.com/en/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defiance Announcement of Free to Play

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?157689-Defiance-Free-to-Play-Arrives-June-4!

Ark hunters,

Fuel up your roller and stock up on ammo because your world is about to get a whole lot bigger: just in time for Season 2 of the Syfy series, an entire planet’s worth of EGO users, arkfall chasers, and most importantly Defiance fans are joining the fray!

Today we’re excited to announce that Trion Worlds’ post-apocalyptic massively co-op online cyberwestern shooter will be adding a new descriptor to its already meaty description: Defiance is going to become free-to-play. Starting June 4 on PC and mid-July on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, players will be able to download the Defiance client and experience the entire Bay Area storyline, original end-game content, and future missions completely for free. This may be cause for some concern from our current ark hunters, and that’s understandable as we haven’t detailed how we’re going to treat you, our frontier pioneers, like the wasteland kings and queens you are.

You’ll be glad to hear that all Defiance owners (existing badland adventurers such as yourselves) will enjoy more of everything than the greenhorns emerging from dropships and taking their first shaky footsteps in the Bay Area. You’ll continue to enjoy more character slots, loadouts, ark keycode capacity, and inventory slots than free-to-play accounts. For those looking to expand what they already have, we’ll even be offering increases to these limits.

Additionally, all players who purchased a boxed or digital copy of Defiance will receive a one-time grant of 1,000 Arkforge, redeemable for resetting weapon mastery, upgrading your weapon’s power rating, or even bumping an uncommon weapon to epic rarity. But we’re not done yet! Our veteran ark hunters will also enjoy 30 days of Paradise Patron status when Defiance begins its free-to-play service. Paradise Patrons receive:
Boosts to skill, XP, scrip, salvage, and reputation gain rates that stack with boosts available in the store.
10% store-wide discount on boosts, costumes, lock boxes – all of it!
A daily grab bag of two-hour boosts.
Arkforge from Daily and Weekly Ark Hunter Bonus Lock Boxes. (Playing on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3? Be sure to link your account to get this bonus!)
With RIFT, ArcheAge, and Trove, our free-to-play policy is simple: “No Tricks, No Traps” – and you better believe Defiance will follow that mantra as well. That means we aren’t designing Defiance in such a way where spending real-world money in the game’s store is necessary to progress or to win. Look forward to free crossover content throughout Season 2!

Still have questions about this change? Be sure to tune in to our Twitch livestream on Friday where Creative Lead Trick Dempsey and Senior Community Relations Manager Evan “Scapes” Berman field questions you have about what this means for the game and our development plans moving forward. We’ve also published a detailed comparison of benefits veteran adventurers will enjoy versus new recruits. Lastly, we have lots planned for Defiance once free-to-play arrives and look forward to revealing what’s in store!

Welcome to the new age of freedom, veteran ark hunters! We’re glad you’re with us for this next chapter in the story of Defiance. Paradise is about to get an arkfall’s worth of new residents!

Steam Info

Reviews
“Defiance is goddamned fun. It streamlines and refines the blast-and-loot ideals of Borderlands and Diablo into a slick package.”

Polygon 

“… hectic, pulse-pounding, explosive, and fun.”

MMORPG 

"A game with a scrappy attitude and a tight handle on what a massively multiplayer world needs to keep you coming back.”

Gamespot

About the Game
Arktech. Some die for it – everyone kills for it. 

Join thousands of players in Defiance, the Free-to-Play shooter MMO that defines MASSIVE CO-OP. Wield customizable weapons as you hunt for alien technology across a transformed Earth, and experience an evolving TV/MMO story with crossover content that expands the Defiance universe – all for free! 

Learn more at Defiance.com and gear up with Starter Packs (adding special Boosts and equipment) and DLC Packs (adding major content and features) on Steam!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thinking about giving this a whirl. Never picked it up during all the sales, but for free I might take a look. Anyone know if non-premium free users are horrifically crippled?

Thinking about giving this a whirl. Never picked it up during all the sales, but for free I might take a look. Anyone know if non-premium free users are horrifically crippled?
As far as I can tell, no. You just don't have as many character/inventory slots and stuff like that.

No, you're not at all really. When I bought it I didn't really get any "perks" which we are getting now and the game is fun without any of that. I do think it is nice they gave early buyers something, though I guess it is expected from MMOs that go F2P.

No, you're not at all really. When I bought it I didn't really get any "perks" which we are getting now and the game is fun without any of that. I do think it is nice they gave early buyers something, though I guess it is expected from MMOs that go F2P.
Oh, nice. So the "Bought the game" baseline before it went F2P is what non-premium F2P players start at, and premium F2P players get additional goodies compared?

That's pretty encouraging then.

bread's done
Back