- - - - -

The Death of the PSP

#1 Noriyuke127   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   258 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Noriyuke127

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:18 AM

What is, What was, and What it should have been. I just saw on the news yesterday that its official that sony will stop producing the most current PSP console around and will cease producing them altogether. I bought one of these things when they first came out and i remember loving everything about it, even with a limited amount of release games and even smaller amount of original titles spewing forth for the console it was still an awesome time. I was given the ability to be able to play multiplayer games with friends of mine in a classroom and not have to be tangled with GBA Link Cables to try and be competitive around school. It was a great time for me and the few friends i had that all had them. Which mind you for the area i lived in there was a surprising amount of people who owned the console. The amount of time i played people on Twisted Metal Head on was literally absurd. I don't understand what made sony think that building another twisted metal game for the PS Vita would not have been necessary. With an awesome title already available, Twisted Metal Black, using that as a standard title for their Cross-Buy Platform, would have been a smart early move, or just creating Twisted Metal Head On 2 altogether would have been a good idea. The closest thing to a PS Vita Class Vehicle Brawler right now is Cel Damage, and with no multiplayer for the Vita its really just a bummer altogether. Wipeout was not only beautiful and great on the PSP it made a good transition over to the Vita as well. Thats really not surprising even though i dont know if were going to see another wipeout later on or at all. But its a good time killer for the time being. Who remembers or cares about Death Jr.? I bought it on release and it really liked the game, but it wasn't much. I remember the transition Death Jr. Made from the PSP to the Wii and now who knows where it will pop up next or if it will pop up at all. A game I was very fond of that never really hit it off and had a very interesting level of viral marketing was Infected. Very fun game. Absolutely no story it and had an interesting multiplayer aspect that will later be seen in hundreds of other games later on down the road. I just wanted to bring up some of things that made the PSP Great for me that ended up being disappointing when it came to the Vita and Vice Versa. If anyone wants to chime in on my run of sentences please by all means :)

#2 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10338 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:41 AM

I always thought it was a great system and I'm sure a lot of others would agree. I could say this got a hell of a lot better games than the DS ever did. I think having too much propietary technology on the psp did them in, that and the fact that it was hella easy to put custom firmware on it.

I have a pretty big collection that I'm proud, at least 100 games.

#3 Noriyuke127   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   258 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Noriyuke127

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:51 AM

There are hundreds of great games for the console. Many people don't know about. I'm gonna be using that first post as a landmark for a large article I I've been wanting to write.

#4 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   1976 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:10 AM

Great handheld that sadly Sony learned very little from as they're making the same mistakes that caused consumers to lose interest in the PSP with the PS Vita again (ports!)

Though the PSP will always be remembered for having several great new IPs like Loco Roco, Patapon, etc. 

#5 CAGkrazy   Yeah Boi! CAGiversary!   2670 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

CAGkrazy

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

The psp was successful also because of custom firmwares and homebrews. Just like the nintendo ds, units sold like pancakes due to having that option for the system.

#6 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10338 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

Old pic of my games.

DSC00062_zpsac0b5658.jpg

The psp was successful also because of custom firmwares and homebrews. Just like the nintendo ds, units sold like pancakes due to having that option for the system.

A lot of people bought second hand, most of the people that bought new got it because it was on clearance. I'm not trying to knock the system, I'm just trying to show the support the system got from the mainstream which led it to it's demise. I wouldn't call custom fireware being a success for the system, look how much good that did for Sega and the Dreamcast.

#7 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

PSP was the most successful handheld of all time not made by Nintendo, by a pretty wide margin at that. I still don't understand why people don't acknowledge that more often. Over 80 million in sales is nothing to scoff at, console or handheld, especially.

I really enjoyed my PSP and enjoy my Vita as well for the same reason, they offer a distinctly different experience than Nintendo's handhelds. It's the same reason I own a WiiU and a PS4, variety of experience.

#8 skiizim   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10338 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

PSP was the most successful handheld of all time not made by Nintendo, by a pretty wide margin at that. I still don't understand why people don't acknowledge that more often. Over 80 million in sales is nothing to scoff at, console or handheld, especially.

I really enjoyed my PSP and enjoy my Vita as well for the same reason, they offer a distinctly different experience than Nintendo's handhelds. It's the same reason I own a WiiU and a PS4, variety of experience.

Is that units worldwide or does that number include software as well? I was trying to look for something last night but I was half awake.

#9 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

Is that units worldwide or does that number include software as well? I was trying to look for something last night but I was half awake.

Wikipedia says 80 million units, I found some other articles, dated from a year or two ago that say 70 million units. It didn't light the world on fire in North America but the thing made a killing in other markets.

#10 Noriyuke127   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   258 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Noriyuke127

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

What other markets would say it made a killing. Besides Japan

#11 RedvsBlue  

RedvsBlue

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:36 AM

What other markets would say it made a killing. Besides Japan

Actually, I looked it up and US sold almost as many as Japan (17 million vs 19 million) so I was wrong before. Europe/UK combined for about another 15 million.

#12 Noriyuke127   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   258 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Noriyuke127

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

Well thats a lot of units regardless, it didnt do too bad altogether. I googled how much the dreamcast did and it was around 11 million units. So the PSP did a little over 3 times that. Awesome. It does have a huge amount of amazing software though. Huge library, i dont know i think a lot about the shitty games that will probably never make it to the next gen, but should.

#13 Yanksfan   Cubs Fan Too :( CAGiversary!   5389 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

PSP owned it for RPGs, plain and simple. Great piece of hardware too, topped only by the Vita. I play the DS for the games (can't lie, they have some awesome ones) but my go to is the PSP/Vita because it's a complete experience.

#14 Noriyuke127   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   258 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Noriyuke127

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

Well someone I know who has a kid just bought one and my kmart is closing so I grabbed 2 games for his brithday. Fat princess fistful of cake and loco roco. Hopefully he'll like them.

#15 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   11923 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:45 AM

PSP was the most successful handheld of all time not made by Nintendo,

This is what a lot of people forget. The PSP was a great system and had hardware sales to back it up. It's a shame Sony's last portable will probably be the Vita if sales figures have anything to do with it.

#16 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29326 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

have around 300 psp games. what is sad  i just picked up another 10  PSP games  2 weeks back at  a yard sale.  for   2 bucks.  They were selling them for 25 cents each and could not even get 25 cents out of psp games.  most were crap  but   fight night rd 3 was one. Figured  paid 2 for that and  got the other 9 for free .  Friend came over the other week and saw my collection of around   300 psp games and  400 ds games and go 

DUDE YOU MUST  BEEN RICH BACK THEN.   I was like nope  there was so many trading places online years ago  i think i got most of them for free or dirt cheap  (trade a game for 30 to 40 points  and then pick up  games  when noone is buying for like 5 to 10 coins.  made a  4 to 1 flip easy back then)     Did  learn my lesson though   i probally only have   5 to 10   3ds and  Vita games i paid for  (even if that)  

love how people just try to dump crap  remember  2 years back  found   Ds games at a yard sale for  buck each  One was mario kart.  Got all of the games they had  for  5 bucks flipped them to  gamestop for around 50  they even sold me a   DSI with  ROCK BAND for  5 bucks.  Still using it for a back up system.

#17 kilik64   Carefree, Wherever We May Be CAGiversary!   7600 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

Slidecage story time.

Great thread, would read again.

#18 ApolloSupreme   Seasoned Vet CAGiversary!   278 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

ApolloSupreme

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:01 AM

Yeah, PSP was the bomb. I first owned a DS but then later caught on to the PSP. What sold me was seeing some guy playing FFVII in the palm of his hands flawlessly. The PSP was my gateway to the Vita. I'm really happy I own both. slidecage, I agree, FN Round 3 was one of the best PSP games on the system. I hope we see one on Vita!

#19 2DMention   Cyberpunk CAGiversary!   3842 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

I still use it (can't afford a vita), lots of RPG remakes on it like Lunar, Star Ocean.

#20 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2945 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

The PSP was a woefully inappropriate system riddled with all kinds of questionable decisions on the part of Sony. As a handheld system, it was a huge mistake.

That said, as a hardware platform and game system, it was actually pretty great! I would strongly recommend that any classic gamer pick one up. There are plenty of solid games for it, and right now in particular is the perfect time to get most of those games on the cheap. The option of purchasing most of those games either physically or digitally only sweetens the pot. I firmly hope that Sony continues maintaining legacy digital support for the PSP for as long as possible.

#21 RoytheRobot   El Piraguero. CAGiversary!   2585 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

RoytheRobot

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

Bumpin this thread up. I remember when my dad picked up the grey PSP that was bundled with Ratchet and Clank and National Treasure movie. I didn't play too much games since I was just a kid back then, but it was a great system.

I'm thinking about pick up another one, which model is the best? I really don't care for emulation or anything, I just want to play the UMDs.

#22 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2945 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

I'm thinking about pick up another one, which model is the best? I really don't care for emulation or anything, I just want to play the UMDs.

If emulation isn't an issue, than the PSP-3000 is most likely your best bet. The 2000 is commonly cited as the best for emulation, as it is slimmer than the 1000, has support for component-out video cables, and can still have custom firmware installed. But for what you're looking for, the 3000 will be just fine. It's likely the most common model at this point, and it will play your UMDs, no problem. It is also slimmer and lighter than either of the previous models.

The PSP-GO is pretty nifty too, but does not have a UMD drive, so it's digital-only releases for that.

#23 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   5586 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

I don't understand what made the 3000 model not good for emulation? 

Also, my PSP 3000 sometimes can't properly read my UMDs.  It will sometimes ask you if you want to quit the game, whenever the UMD is spinning.  Even though you didn't press anything like the PS button, but moved to readjust yourself.

It happens more often when I'm playing a game that requires several button pushes in rapid succession.  I sometimes have to discipline myself to sit still so not to trigger the message.  I stop moving and the game will resume on its own.

Annoying enough that I ripped all my UMD games to the memory stick.  Kind of wish the PS4 would let you play your PSP games, at least the digital ones from the PSN.

Anyway, on more topic.  The PSP isn't dead for me as I still have a backlog to play on this system.  I need to finish Kenko Bancho:Badass Rumble.

#24 ApolloSupreme   Seasoned Vet CAGiversary!   278 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

ApolloSupreme

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

The PSP was a woefully inappropriate system riddled with all kinds of questionable decisions on the part of Sony. As a handheld system, it was a huge mistake. That said, as a hardware platform and game system, it was actually pretty great! I would strongly recommend that any classic gamer pick one up. There are plenty of solid games for it, and right now in particular is the perfect time to get most of those games on the cheap. The option of purchasing most of those games either physically or digitally only sweetens the pot. I firmly hope that Sony continues maintaining legacy digital support for the PSP for as long as possible.
So I guess over 80 million customers made a mistake by purchasing one too, huh?

#25 Yanksfan   Cubs Fan Too :( CAGiversary!   5389 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

So I guess over 80 million customers made a mistake by purchasing one too, huh?

I don't know if you read his post thoroughly or not, but I don't think he inferred anyone that purchased one made a mistake.

#26 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2945 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

Seriously, read past the first sentence.

Building a hand-held video game system that used an optical disc medium was a bad idea. Using a proprietary memory format for it was a bad idea. Packing it with "features" and releasing it at such a high price point as a consequence was a bad idea. The PSP was littered with bad ideas. And while Sony was able to sustain their hand-held longer than anyone else had against Nintendo, they never saw the kind of success and profit from it that they had hoped to. It was a bad idea.

The only reason it worked out for them at all was because of the unexpected success of one game from a third-party developer/publisher. If not for Capcom's Monster Hunter franchise, the PSP would have been even more disastrous. But that one franchise helped to bolster the PSP in Japan, and led to a lot of other Japanese developers supporting the troubled hand-held.

I never said that the PSP was a bad system, far from it. But it was a very troubled system, and most of its troubles stemmed from Sony's inability to understand the hand-held market. It was a rookie effort from a company inexperienced in the market they were venturing into.

Thankfully, the PSP was able to enjoy significant and longer-lived development support thanks to its success in Japan. This has made it a must-have collectible for any fans of anime and Japanese-styled games. (especially JRPGs) I own a PSP and more than 80 games for it. It is a solid system, and well worth owning and playing. It simply wasn't a well-thought-out hand-held.

#27 ApolloSupreme   Seasoned Vet CAGiversary!   278 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

ApolloSupreme

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:08 AM

I don't know if you read his post thoroughly or not, but I don't think he inferred anyone that purchased one made a mistake.

He said the console was a mistake. It sold over 80 million units. Give me a break.

#28 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2945 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

He said the console was a mistake. It sold over 80 million units. Give me a break.

Give you a break? Give me a break. It's a gross oversimplification to conflate hardware sales with how well a system was designed.

The Playstation 1 and 2 were both two of the most commercially successful systems of all time. And neither one of them was designed very well. The quality of a system has almost nothing to do with that system's commercial success. This principle has held true for almost every home video console. Better designed and/or better performing systems do not necessarily win out in the marketplace.

And even if we take your flawed premise at face value, you are still ignoring the relative commercial success of the PSP's. It's closest direct competition at the time of its release was the Nintendo DS. How well did it fare compared to that system's sales? The PSP was notorious for being sold at a loss when it was introduced, despite it's $250 USD price tag. And it was also notorious for having one of the lowest software attach rates, thanks to rampant piracy on the system. Both of those factors are directly linked to Sony's decision to incorporate optical media into the hand-held.

"Mistake" is being generous. The PSP was a débâcle in the market. 80 million units or not. And the lack of success for Sony's hand-held line is only emphasized by the current struggles of the Vita. The Vita is arguably superior to its predecessor in every way, and yet it's still languishing.

#29 Noriyuke127   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   258 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Noriyuke127

Posted 24 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

Let's not forget pet rock. People will buy mistakes.

#30 2DMention   Cyberpunk CAGiversary!   3842 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:33 AM

It had a lot of strategy RPGs for it, which I don't play anymore.

But they had tons of JRPGs which were great.