- - - - -

The Death of the PSP

#31 sovereignNX-73811   rolling (over) back in style CAGiversary!   5692 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

The PSP came out when I was in high school and I was more into Nintendo at that time. I was able to pick one over the other since I didn't have much money back then (well...hardly any for that matter).

Now being an adult, I can shake off that whole "Console War" thing and since Gamestop has used PSP 3Ks for $70 (80 for refurbished but why would you do that?) I figured that it was time to dive into the world of PSP...

...And you guys are right; it's a beautiful world...especially when you can buy MicroSD to Memory Duo adapters, cheap cables, and rip the UMDs to the memory. Most PSP games are so cheap at Amazon and Gamestop I went on a frenzy with those Kongregate coupons and collected over 50 games in less than a month. Funny thing was I got a PSP 3K for $35 at a thrift shop shortly after buying one at GS. All the stuff I bought for my PSP (including the 2 PSPs) comes to about $300. 

I can now play Star Oceans 1 and 2, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Dissidia FF, Ace Combat X, oh the list goes on...

It may have taken nine years, but I don't care; just happy to have it before it all goes away and gets rare.

#32 gkargreen   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   93 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

gkargreen

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

hey, so I can tip my old PSP games and put them on the memory cards?  Can I do this and play the games on my Vita?

#33 Yanksfan   Cubs Fan Too :( CAGiversary!   5389 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:56 PM

hey, so I can tip my old PSP games and put them on the memory cards?  Can I do this and play the games on my Vita?

If you have custom firmware on your PSP, then you can do this. This is super easy to do.

#34 2DMention   Cyberpunk CAGiversary!   3842 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

I keep it around for Lunar and Star Ocean 1+2

#35 ArowanaG  

ArowanaG

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

And here I am planning to buy myself a Vita. Hopefully Sony wouldn't kill Vita before I get tired of playing this console. 

#36 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1887 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:26 PM

I've got two PSPs right now, with a third stranded in Michigan. For the record, I LOVE this system... it was much better supported than the Vita, and I think history will be much kinder to it. The fact that it's so easily hacked also works in its favor. It doesn't just play its own library of excellent games; it can also play games for the Genesis, Super NES, Playstation, and at least a half dozen other consoles and handhelds.

#37 Tweeg  

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:06 AM

I love my PSP as well, and I love the Vita too.

Got my first Vita new for Christmas the year they had the Star Wars - Vader Edition white unit out, which is sadly a model 2000. It died three months later and had to be sent in to Sony for warranty repair, which ened up being a warranty exchange. Still have it, but the UMD lid sensor switch ended up becoming finicky and the system would at random register that the UMD drive had been opened, which was annoying.

Around that time I got a model 300 used, which is still working to this day. Also have a model 1000 that I picked up super cheap used which is also working great.

A close friend also got a Vita model 2000 not long after I got my initial unit and the Wi-Fi transmitter in his failed less than a year later. I swear the model 2000 is cursed or something.

Phantasy Star Portable 1 & 2, Valkyrie Chronicles 2, Personas 1 - 3, Fate/Extra, just to name some of the ones that drained the bulk of my time are all fantastic games on the system.

#38 Squeegor   Pool Shark Validating   177 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:53 AM

I love my PSP as well, and I love the Vita too.

Got my first Vita new for Christmas the year they had the Star Wars - Vader Edition white unit out, which is sadly a model 2000. It died three months later and had to be sent in to Sony for warranty repair, which ened up being a warranty exchange. Still have it, but the UMD lid sensor switch ended up becoming finicky and the system would at random register that the UMD drive had been opened, which was annoying.

Around that time I got a model 300 used, which is still working to this day. Also have a model 1000 that I picked up super cheap used which is also working great.

A close friend also got a Vita model 2000 not long after I got my initial unit and the Wi-Fi transmitter in his failed less than a year later. I swear the model 2000 is cursed or something.

Phantasy Star Portable 1 & 2, Valkyrie Chronicles 2, Personas 1 - 3, Fate/Extra, just to name some of the ones that drained the bulk of my time are all fantastic games on the system.

I was never a fan of the 2000 because it's much lighter weight and rounder edges made it feel more like a flimsy plastic toy to me... but if it is indeed less reliable as well, then, yeah I'm never getting one.

How is the 3000 in that regard? The design aesthetics definitely look like a step up from the 2000. I've never had a chance to try one though.. does it have that solid, well-built feel of the 1000?

#39 jputahraptor   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1267 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

jputahraptor

Posted 11 October 2015 - 02:19 AM

The PSP is a beautiful handheld, it's got so many obscure games on it to, sequels and spinoff games of many popular franchises that it's gotta have something to appeal to everyone.  I was talking to a girl at work who is big into Playstation and she didn't even hear of it!  I brought mine in and convinced her to buy one.  I'm not big into RPG's but there are a ton of them.  

Also the Vita is great just to play PS1 games on, I absolutely love that feature, not only can you buy some expensive PS1 games cheap, they come with the manuals as scans!  I play resident evil games in my bed because it's scary at night, and no I'm not kidding.  

Just a side question, does anyone have experience downloading saves off gamefaqs?  I started playing Mega Man Powered up and there's all this free DLC but I'm not sure if you can download it from the website, can't even check because I can not connect to wifi, but somebody has a save up where you can download there save with all that content, not sure what I need as far as a USB, if someone can provide me with a link to one on ebay or something I would be thankful.  

#40 likeme   Banned Banned   3532 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:35 PM

To the post above. Use youtube.. I was able to patch a few Japanese games to English with the help of youtube.

#41 Noriyuke127   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   258 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Noriyuke127

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:47 AM

The PSP is a beautiful handheld, it's got so many obscure games on it to, sequels and spinoff games of many popular franchises that it's gotta have something to appeal to everyone. I was talking to a girl at work who is big into Playstation and she didn't even hear of it! I brought mine in and convinced her to buy one. I'm not big into RPG's but there are a ton of them.

Also the Vita is great just to play PS1 games on, I absolutely love that feature, not only can you buy some expensive PS1 games cheap, they come with the manuals as scans! I play resident evil games in my bed because it's scary at night, and no I'm not kidding.

Just a side question, does anyone have experience downloading saves off gamefaqs? I started playing Mega Man Powered up and there's all this free DLC but I'm not sure if you can download it from the website, can't even check because I can not connect to wifi, but somebody has a save up where you can download there save with all that content, not sure what I need as far as a USB, if someone can provide me with a link to one on ebay or something I would be thankful.

A regular USB to Mini USB is all you need I'm pretty sure. I'm stupid broke, but I have a broken vita I will be fixing up in the next few weeks.

#42 tepiddeath   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   30 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

tepiddeath

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:31 PM

I just bought Syphon Filter bundle of 2 games for .96c, RadioShack closing :)

#43 SilverOwl   SilverOwl CAGiversary!   27 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:54 PM

the psp will never die, homebrew will keep it alive forever1!!! 

#44 SilverOwl   SilverOwl CAGiversary!   27 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:55 PM

To the post above. Use youtube.. I was able to patch a few Japanese games to English with the help of youtube.

i have the complete file for psp that is final fantasy type 0 with an english patch, the entire file is 2.8gb. but it is well worth it.