Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes $19.99 at Best Buy/Amazon

Worth it for those who are fans of the series. I took my time with it, listening to most of the audio logs and messing around with the new stealth mechanics and got a good 5-6 hours out of it on my first playthrough and a couple of side missions.  If you rush through it non-stealth guns blazing you probably can beat the main mission in 1-2 hours but you are missing out on the rest of the game in my opinion. There's a ton of content buried in the logs and hidden items to find on the map and I still have a decent chunk of the game left to finish 100%.  Also the game is one of the nicest looking PS4 games I've played.

If you aren't really a fan of the series and are not invested in the previous story and characters (MGS3 and Peace Walker) you probably won't get nearly as much out of this game. 

Personally I really enjoyed it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Quit being cheapassgamers lol $20 is good for this one lol
20 is good and it's better with my GCU but I'm trying to decide if it will drop lower by the time I get around to it. Just started my first PS4 game (Infamous) and just picked up a job so I'm a bit busy :lol:

I got this from the MS b2g1 mishap. 

I kind of wish I had picked a different game with that deal seeing as $16 with GCU is a pretty damn good price..

Not to beat it with a stick but I gamefly'd this and had no clue what I was doing and beat the game in 34 minutes. Yes, I looked at the clock because I was curious. To be fair you can replay it with different objectives to make it last a while, but this should not cost more than $10, it's nowhere near a full game. While fun, it's an obvious cash grab before the big release.

Got in for 1.  Had a $10 certificate, so this deal was well timed.

Also got my son an 8GB thumb drive that looks like the surface of a basketball.  He'll love it, even if he hates the Spurs/Heat Finals matchup repeat.

Good price for this one. There's a lot of content-- you just have to be willing to work at it. I thoroughly enjoyed my playthrough.

I was on the fence for GCU for a long time and finally caved in for it. Not even a week and I've already picked up 2X tomodachi life, Mario Kart, Mario 3D World, Tropical Freeze and now this. Just wanted to let everyone know I'm an idiot for debating on getting GCU for so long.

Ok... I am sick and tired of people going "There is content if you do absolutely everything in every way and collect every collectable!"... While that MAY be true, that is true for EVERY game!

Yeah you were paying half the price of a new game... but you were NOT getting even a QUARTER of the content!
You can ENJOY what IS there... but that doesn't change the fact that what IS there, is not enough to consider it a FULL game.

Ok... I am sick and tired of people going "There is content if you do absolutely everything in every way and collect every collectable!"... While that MAY be true, that is true for EVERY game!

Yeah you were paying half the price of a new game... but you were NOT getting even a QUARTER of the content!
You can ENJOY what IS there... but that doesn't change the fact that what IS there, is not enough to consider it a FULL game.
This.

I paid $1.28 for the game and I even felt that was too much.

Still waiting on the actual release of MGS5 which I'm sure will include this as a limited edition bonus. I love the MGS series and all but people have to realize that for what it's worth this is a glorified demo.

People claiming that "oh but there is content that lasts for more" have to realize that extra content is not what the average consumer is paying for. It's like saying every 8 hour fps is really a 20 hour game because of collectibles or saying "well yeah that movie was bad but at least the preview trailers were good" *does not compute*

Still waiting on the actual release of MGS5 which I'm sure will include this as a limited edition bonus. I love the MGS series and all but people have to realize that for what it's worth this is a glorified demo.

People claiming that "oh but there is content that lasts for more" have to realize that extra content is not what the average consumer is paying for. It's like saying every 8 hour fps is really a 20 hour game because of collectibles or saying "well yeah that movie was bad but at least the preview trailers were good" *does not compute*
I totally got an extra 20 hours out of cutting every blade of grass in Zelda. So worth it.

Sweet, my rz cert from watch dogs posted. After GCU it was $6.41...now to go trade my X1 copy. I had it for ps4, traded it off and decided I was into the x1 then...then realized I've got all my MGS games on PS. So, waited for a sale. Glad I did.

I'll be picking this up for a friend. I'll use a $5 cert + GCU to make this $10.99. 

I disagree about it being a glorified demo because demos don't do what this game does (there are extra missions after the story one with different objectives and they work as a great way of teaching you the finer points about the game. Hardcore MGS players will appreciate getting their feet wet so early and also giving Kojima necessary feedback to craft a better experience). However, I will say that $20 should have always been the price. 

agreed please don't support pay 2 play demos
agreed please don't support pay 2 play demos
Yes, supporting this with the argument that there is more content is just saying that is OK for publishers to charge us $30 for a demo (that was originally priced $40) the game is 2 hours long tops, hell there are indies that are cheaper, longer and better than that, even if you are a fan (I've played every single game since the MSX... even the Ac!d 1 and 2) this should not be supported, saying that this game is 10 hours long with all the content is like saying that dark souls is 120 hours with all the content.

Trade in value at Best Buy is currently $10 for those wondering, so with a GCU price of ~18 (after taxes) you'd be paying $8 to run it for a few days, probably still not worth it.  I'm sure it'll also be included in a bundle for the final game next year, personally I'll just wait until then since it'll make more sense to play it right before the new game.

[quote name="FurryCurry" post="11816178" timestamp="1401975861"]I'll be picking this up for a friend. I'll use a $5 cert + GCU to make this $10.99.

I disagree about it being a glorified demo because demos don't do what this game does (there are extra missions after the story one with different objectives and they work as a great way of teaching you the finer points about the game. Hardcore MGS players will appreciate getting their feet wet so early and also giving Kojima necessary feedback to craft a better experience). However, I will say that $20 should have always been the price. [/quote] It actually sounds like this is a lengthy tutorial for the main game and not a demo, based on what you and others say. This is probably more accurate a description (I have zero experience with this game).

So when MGSV finally releases, will it include this content or is it not really necessary to the game's main story?

I would say everyone just Redbox the game.  Can have it in and out within a night.

I bought it because I'm an MGS diehard.  I wouldn't have supported it from any other series.  I haven't missed an MGS release stateside.

It was cool for a short hold over and demo for what is to come.  It excited me for TPP, but was kind of deplorable that this cost money.  It's a really really great demo.  A really long demo.  But wow, really short for a game.

I will defend it's extra content though.  The extras were a bit more compelling and entertaining the most extras in single player campaigns.

Trade in value at Best Buy is currently $10 for those wondering, so with a GCU price of ~18 (after taxes) you'd be paying $8 to run it for a few days, probably still not worth it. I'm sure it'll also be included in a bundle for the final game next year, personally I'll just wait until then since it'll make more sense to play it right before the new game.
if you are basically going to pay 8$ to rent this (which is dumb imo) why not exploit gamestops return policy ? beat the game and return it within 7 days of buying it. im amazed more people dont do it with this game lol. when im done with watch dogs or are taking a break from it ill do this methood. cant wait for phantom pain already :(

I'll be picking this up for a friend. I'll use a $5 cert + GCU to make this $10.99.

I disagree about it being a glorified demo because demos don't do what this game does (there are extra missions after the story one with different objectives and they work as a great way of teaching you the finer points about the game. Hardcore MGS players will appreciate getting their feet wet so early and also giving Kojima necessary feedback to craft a better experience). However, I will say that $20 should have always been the price.
You are correct about one thing. The giving Kojima necessary feedback part. That is precisely why nobody should buy this game. Only one kind of feedback is necessary for this game: "Not worth the price. Should be free, and if not, then $10 as the maximum price."

Anyone who thinks this should be free, or is simply a demo, is flat out bonkers. There is more content here than any game demo I've ever played, and dang it, I've played a ton of demos in my time.

That being said, I did Redbox it, for 1 day on Xbox 360, even when I planned on owning it, but $30 is insane I totally agree on that. The fact that Konami originally planned on selling the PS4 and Xbox One versions for $40 was ludicrous, and even the $10 price drop before launch wasn't good enough. If it had launched at $20 for PS4 then I would have bought it without hesitation, I just don't want to support crappy business practices though, so I'll wait until $15.

The one thing many people arguing seem to overlook is that this is some of the most fun (YES FUN -- that's why a person should play games I hope!) gaming experiences out there right now. GZ is short (7  missions or is it 8?), but very sweet. This is no demo, but it was launched very much overpriced. If I didn't redbox it already I'd probably buy it now.

Anyone who thinks this should be free, or is simply a demo, is flat out bonkers. There is more content here than any game demo I've ever played, and dang it, I've played a ton of demos in my time.

That being said, I did Redbox it, for 1 day on Xbox 360, even when I planned on owning it, but $30 is insane I totally agree on that. The fact that Konami originally planned on selling the PS4 and Xbox One versions for $40 was ludicrous, and even the $10 price drop before launch wasn't good enough. If it had launched at $20 for PS4 then I would have bought it without hesitation, I just don't want to support crappy business practices though, so I'll wait until $15.

The one thing many people arguing seem to overlook is that this is some of the most fun (YES FUN -- that's why a person should play games I hope!) gaming experiences out there right now. GZ is short (7 missions or is it 8?), but very sweet. This is no demo, but it was launched very much overpriced. If I didn't redbox it already I'd probably buy it now.
That is not it. The problem is that this game was more comparable to a demo than a full game, but Konami still had the gall to ask $40 for it in the beginning. $10 should have been the price at the most.

You can get a good amount of gameplay out of this demo (5-6 minutes) if you really explore everything it has to offer.

Last edited:
bread's done
Back