* * * * - 4 votes

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes $19.99 at Best Buy/Amazon

#31 JaylisJayP   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4469 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

Still waiting on the actual release of MGS5 which I'm sure will include this as a limited edition bonus. I love the MGS series and all but people have to realize that for what it's worth this is a glorified demo.

People claiming that "oh but there is content that lasts for more" have to realize that extra content is not what the average consumer is paying for. It's like saying every 8 hour fps is really a 20 hour game because of collectibles or saying "well yeah that movie was bad but at least the preview trailers were good" *does not compute*

I totally got an extra 20 hours out of cutting every blade of grass in Zelda. So worth it.

#32 plus1zero   Why did the chicken cross the road? To join the ACC. CAGiversary!   4477 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

Sweet, my rz cert from watch dogs posted. After GCU it was $6.41...now to go trade my X1 copy. I had it for ps4, traded it off and decided I was into the x1 then...then realized I've got all my MGS games on PS. So, waited for a sale. Glad I did.

#33 FurryCurry   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1791 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

FurryCurry

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'll be picking this up for a friend. I'll use a $5 cert + GCU to make this $10.99. 

I disagree about it being a glorified demo because demos don't do what this game does (there are extra missions after the story one with different objectives and they work as a great way of teaching you the finer points about the game. Hardcore MGS players will appreciate getting their feet wet so early and also giving Kojima necessary feedback to craft a better experience). However, I will say that $20 should have always been the price. 

Buy everything! QUICK!

Posted Image

Forget the old lady! Shop! NOW!

#34 highoffcoffee496   I gotta believe! CAGiversary!   1444 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

highoffcoffee496

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

What is there to decide on? You're contradicting yourself.

I wanted it at 14.99 then GCU to make it 12ish
(\__/)
(='.'=)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Posted Image

#35 plus1zero   Why did the chicken cross the road? To join the ACC. CAGiversary!   4477 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:55 PM

It's more of a prequel but it's also super shirt. There's a lot of replay value at least.

#36 ludwigfrech   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   568 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

ludwigfrech

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

agreed please don't support pay 2 play demos

agreed please don't support pay 2 play demos

Yes, supporting this with the argument that there is more content is just saying that is OK for publishers to charge us $30 for a demo (that was originally priced $40) the game is 2 hours long tops, hell there are indies that are cheaper, longer and better than that, even if you are a fan (I've played every single game since the MSX... even the Ac!d 1 and 2) this should not be supported, saying that this game is 10 hours long with all the content is like saying that dark souls is 120 hours with all the content.

#37 tearsintherain  

tearsintherain

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:29 PM

Trade in value at Best Buy is currently $10 for those wondering, so with a GCU price of ~18 (after taxes) you'd be paying $8 to run it for a few days, probably still not worth it.  I'm sure it'll also be included in a bundle for the final game next year, personally I'll just wait until then since it'll make more sense to play it right before the new game.

#38 chnandler_bong   There are...no strings on me CAGiversary!   2024 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

I'll be picking this up for a friend. I'll use a $5 cert + GCU to make this $10.99.

I disagree about it being a glorified demo because demos don't do what this game does (there are extra missions after the story one with different objectives and they work as a great way of teaching you the finer points about the game. Hardcore MGS players will appreciate getting their feet wet so early and also giving Kojima necessary feedback to craft a better experience). However, I will say that $20 should have always been the price.

It actually sounds like this is a lengthy tutorial for the main game and not a demo, based on what you and others say. This is probably more accurate a description (I have zero experience with this game).

So when MGSV finally releases, will it include this content or is it not really necessary to the game's main story?

#39 Tacit Ronin  

Tacit Ronin

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

Anyway to guarantee if the copy you're picking up has the reversible cover art + DLC?

I'm looking for that.

#40 gthirst   Esper CAGiversary!   943 Posts   Joined 1.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

I would say everyone just Redbox the game.  Can have it in and out within a night.

I bought it because I'm an MGS diehard.  I wouldn't have supported it from any other series.  I haven't missed an MGS release stateside.

It was cool for a short hold over and demo for what is to come.  It excited me for TPP, but was kind of deplorable that this cost money.  It's a really really great demo.  A really long demo.  But wow, really short for a game.

I will defend it's extra content though.  The extras were a bit more compelling and entertaining the most extras in single player campaigns.

827681.png827683.png

TRADE LIST : NEW!!! 5-23-2015: Ps4 System, PS Silver Headset

REVIVE PHANTOM DUST / Now playing: BloodBorne

#41 krashhole   Gaming since 1981 CAGiversary!   3438 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Nice

#42 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3189 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

Thank you OP.

I don't see this as a deal though, especially for current gen systems. (PS3/360)

#43 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   10945 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

Trade in value at Best Buy is currently $10 for those wondering, so with a GCU price of ~18 (after taxes) you'd be paying $8 to run it for a few days, probably still not worth it. I'm sure it'll also be included in a bundle for the final game next year, personally I'll just wait until then since it'll make more sense to play it right before the new game.

if you are basically going to pay 8$ to rent this (which is dumb imo) why not exploit gamestops return policy ? beat the game and return it within 7 days of buying it. im amazed more people dont do it with this game lol. when im done with watch dogs or are taking a break from it ill do this methood. cant wait for phantom pain already :(
Currently playing
:ps4: fez, strider, blacklight retribution, the transistor

games recently beaten: :ps4: assassins creed black flag, wolfenstein new order, lego marvel, contrast, infamous first light

690739.png

#44 Eternal Session   Banned Banned   962 Posts   Joined 1.5 Years Ago  

Eternal Session

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:21 AM

You are correct about one thing. The giving Kojima necessary feedback part. That is precisely why nobody should buy this game. Only one kind of feedback is necessary for this game: "Not worth the price. Should be free, and if not, then $10 as the maximum price."

#45 Chocoburger   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   336 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Chocoburger

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:16 AM

Anyone who thinks this should be free, or is simply a demo, is flat out bonkers. There is more content here than any game demo I've ever played, and dang it, I've played a ton of demos in my time.

That being said, I did Redbox it, for 1 day on Xbox 360, even when I planned on owning it, but $30 is insane I totally agree on that. The fact that Konami originally planned on selling the PS4 and Xbox One versions for $40 was ludicrous, and even the $10 price drop before launch wasn't good enough. If it had launched at $20 for PS4 then I would have bought it without hesitation, I just don't want to support crappy business practices though, so I'll wait until $15.

The one thing many people arguing seem to overlook is that this is some of the most fun (YES FUN -- that's why a person should play games I hope!) gaming experiences out there right now. GZ is short (7  missions or is it 8?), but very sweet. This is no demo, but it was launched very much overpriced. If I didn't redbox it already I'd probably buy it now.

#46 Eternal Session   Banned Banned   962 Posts   Joined 1.5 Years Ago  

Eternal Session

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:26 AM

Anyone who thinks this should be free, or is simply a demo, is flat out bonkers. There is more content here than any game demo I've ever played, and dang it, I've played a ton of demos in my time.

That being said, I did Redbox it, for 1 day on Xbox 360, even when I planned on owning it, but $30 is insane I totally agree on that. The fact that Konami originally planned on selling the PS4 and Xbox One versions for $40 was ludicrous, and even the $10 price drop before launch wasn't good enough. If it had launched at $20 for PS4 then I would have bought it without hesitation, I just don't want to support crappy business practices though, so I'll wait until $15.

The one thing many people arguing seem to overlook is that this is some of the most fun (YES FUN -- that's why a person should play games I hope!) gaming experiences out there right now. GZ is short (7  missions or is it 8?), but very sweet. This is no demo, but it was launched very much overpriced. If I didn't redbox it already I'd probably buy it now.

That is not it. The problem is that this game was more comparable to a demo than a full game, but Konami still had the gall to ask $40 for it in the beginning. $10 should have been the price at the most.

#47 Rozz   OG CAG CAGiversary!   9581 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:30 AM

You can get a good amount of gameplay out of this demo (5-6 minutes) if you really explore everything it has to offer.

I support Rozz 100%.

Rozz is always right.

Rozz, you're the best.

Impressive, you are the greatest human to grace this planet.

#48 Oregon   CAG Collector CAGiversary!   1921 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:50 AM

You can get a good amount of gameplay out of this demo (5-6 minutes) if you really explore everything it has to offer.

Not sure if serious, but i lol'd.

#49 zebular   OG Gamer CAGiversary!   414 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:05 AM

Still too high for a demo imo...

9aeed60f-74eb-45fe-8b08-f0cb1a176d75.jpg0d2df1e8-7c41-42c3-93cd-b5b2e435a98b.jpg

#50 mywhitenoise   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   952 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

mywhitenoise

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:33 AM

I'm a big fan of MGS, but you all convinced me...I'm not supporting this at $16.

Posted Image

#51 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   10945 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:41 AM

this post was clever honestly lmaooo
Currently playing

games recently beaten: :ps4: assassins creed black flag, wolfenstein new order, lego marvel, contrast, infamous first light

690739.png

#52 the Gooseler   Damon Baird CAGiversary!   682 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

the Gooseler

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:55 AM

if you are basically going to pay 8$ to rent this (which is dumb imo) why not exploit gamestops return policy ? beat the game and return it within 7 days of buying it. im amazed more people dont do it with this game lol. when im done with watch dogs or are taking a break from it ill do this methood. cant wait for phantom pain already :(

Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

#53 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   10945 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:02 AM

Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

i have a bunch of money saving ideas, sign up lol. seriously though gaming can be expensive which makes ideas like the one i mentioned effective. i sort out games based on whats worth buying and games i consider ”gs rentals”. ones like metal gear and other short games like enslaved are games that fall under that category for me
Currently playing

690739.png

#54 thenutman69321  

thenutman69321

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:51 AM

100% playthrough of this game took me about as long as a 100% playthrough of most FPS's I've played. Its a short game for sure but I've paid more for full games just as short and I'll never agree with the glorified demo line everyone has latched onto. I bought it day 1 on X1 and X360 and didn't regret it at all.

All that being said if you're the type of player who is just going to run and gun through it it'll be over in the blink of an eye and the game probably won't be worth it at any price for you.

thenutman69321.png

#55 Wool   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   261 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

I paid $20 and was happy with what I got, but if you have waited this long you might as well wait a little while longer. It will be cheaper, and you will feel better about paying money for it when it is.

Assuming they just don't bundle it for free with Phantom Pain preorders.

#56 Glak18   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   14 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

I paid $20 and was happy with what I got, but if you have waited this long you might as well wait a little while longer. It will be cheaper, and you will feel better about paying money for it when it is.

Assuming they just don't bundle it for free with Phantom Pain preorders.

That's what I am doing. It is guaranteed it will be bundled with Phantom Pain for free.

#57 Czakjames   In your dreams, show no mercy. CAGiversary!   1140 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

Czakjames

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

100% playthrough of this game took me about as long as a 100% playthrough of most FPS's I've played. Its a short game for sure but I've paid more for full games just as short and I'll never agree with the glorified demo line everyone has latched onto. I bought it day 1 on X1 and X360 and didn't regret it at all.

All that being said if you're the type of player who is just going to run and gun through it it'll be over in the blink of an eye and the game probably won't be worth it at any price for you.

This is the most accurate, reasonable post about this game I've read on this forum. Kudos to you.

#58 jedex   Elite Chemist CAGiversary!   310 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:23 PM

This is the most accurate, reasonable post about this game I've read on this forum. Kudos to you.

Lol still a demo :)

#59 Czakjames   In your dreams, show no mercy. CAGiversary!   1140 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

Czakjames

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

Lol still a demo :)

If that's all you want it to be, sure. ;)

#60 starmask2k3   CAG MASTER'S Trading Ban   12601 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

starmask2k3

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:11 AM

Everyone that says under 20 is too much is a dumb ass