* * * - - 4 votes

Target & Best Buy: iPad Mini $199.99 In Store Only, iPad 4th Gen $329 @ BB

#1 joker______   Careful...Icarus CAGiversary!   1193 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

joker______

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

It looks to be unavailable at the moment but here are the links for now.

Space Grey: http://www.target.co...Slot=medium_1_1

White: http://www.target.co...Slot=medium_1_2

Best Buy:

Space Grey: http://www.bestbuy.c... mini&cp=1&lp=9

White:http://www.bestbuy.c...mini&cp=1&lp=10

iPad 4th Gen:

Black: http://www.bestbuy.c...iPad &cp=1&lp=1

White:http://www.bestbuy.c...iPad &cp=1&lp=2
Posted Image

#2 soliddragon   Early Adopter CAGiversary!   962 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

seriously?! I just jumped on one from ebay for $239 yesterday FML

'Give me, One more medicated peaceful moment'
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

:ds: :360: :ps3: :3ds: :wii: :pc:

Spoiler

#3 striker199   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   624 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

striker199

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

Price is live

#4 SgtWiggles   Artist formally known as dgwillia CAGiversary!   8419 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hmmm, I have enough for one and have been interested in getting a tablet. Any reason not to jump on this?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 ryuzx   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

I'd rather get the iPad Mini with Retina Display. From what I can tell, Apple has a way to make older model iPhones obsolete by upgrading iOS, so while it can function when you upgrade it does get slower and less compatible with newer apps with each release. I would assume the same is true for iPads too. The first Mini has an A5 chip while the Mini with Retina has an A7 chip inside. I have no idea why they skipped the A6 (it's in the iPad released before the iPad Air).

If anyone who is more into Apple's ways can explain to me how my thinking is wrong and an older Mini is worth it I'd like to know while this deal is active. 

#6 smokeyjoey8   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   253 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

smokeyjoey8

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

the iPad Mini (1st gen) was just a shrunken down iPad 2. The iPad 2 is still pretty well supported, so the Mini is as well. But with the 2 being three years old, and a new iPad coming out this fall, I wouldn't be surprised if its days are numbed and the iPad 3 or 4 becomes the bare minimum that developers support. 

If you're interested in a cheap entry to the iOS ecosystem, the iPad Mini at $199 isn't a bad choice. 

#7 numchuk nate   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   38 Posts   Joined 3.4 Years Ago  

numchuk nate

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hmmm, I have enough for one and have been interested in getting a tablet. Any reason not to jump on this?

With the ridiculous frequency Apple updates products (see iPad 3 to 4 update--only 7 months), I generally recommend people follow the Macrumors Buyer's Guide and only buy when it's "safe" to do so. For people really on a budget, I guess it's not so bad going back one generation. I'd avoid going back two or more though unless you're just using it for email, browsing, etc.

My biggest reservation against this deal, though, is that it's not a retina version. My first iPad was the 3rd one (retina). At the time my brother had the iPad 2 (non-retina). As bratty as it sounds, I couldn't use his because it looked so terrible, comparatively.

If you're looking for a deal, I suggest waiting until the new version comes out and getting a deal on the first retina version. It'll be far worth the extra $50 or so (complete guess) compared to this deal, IMO. Also note that Target gives decent gift cards with iPads occasionally, sometimes also with a slight break on the price. I assume it'll be even better on the current version as the new ones are released.

#8 theking20   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4409 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

Not that bad of a price and I wanted to waste my gift cards from triple trade in

Paid $160 after tax

Smh if I wasn't lazy to trade in black ops II and kingdom hearts HD or my paper Mario getting rejected, would have been another $70 off

#9 joker______   Careful...Icarus CAGiversary!   1193 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

joker______

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

I am thinking of trading in my iPad 2 for this. For one it has better speakers,two it has Siri and lastly it has lighting cable which is better than the original charging cable plus it does run quite better than my iPad 2 even though it has the same specs.

Posted Image

#10 MushaOne   etc. and so forth... CAGiversary!   3629 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

If you price match it at Staples there is an additional $20 off any tablet coupon (97275) you can use.

#11 Prison Mike   Don't Drop The Soap CAGiversary!   1489 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Prison Mike

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

I know a lot of you guys have GCs from that trade in deal several weeks ago :D/

I ended up ordering a white one with two gift cards. I hope Hearthstone runs decent on it.

#12 Helldweller87   Shots Fired CAGiversary!   568 Posts   Joined 1.4 Years Ago  

Helldweller87

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

Thanks OP for posting this.  I had some Target credit i need to move as well and i was in the market for a Ipad.   Good thing is i still have enough credit left over to get a Wii U.  Now to wait till they have a sale with a free $50 GC when getting a Wii U.

"Why should I be content to lead one nation, when I can control the whole world, 'Mr. President?"  Yuri : RA2

776390.png

776391.png

http://swagbucks.com/refer/Helldweller  Easy way to get free Gift Cards.  Check out this link.

#13 LD_Helix   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   357 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Gonna go and try price match this at best buy since I got some certificates there, thanks a bunch op!

#14 TheHammerGod   Superfly friendly gamer! CAGiversary!   165 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

TheHammerGod

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

I know a lot of you guys have GCs from that trade in deal several weeks ago :D/

I ended up ordering a white one with two gift cards. I hope Hearthstone runs decent on it.

Hearthstone runs perfect on it.

WiiU: Matesamo
360: Matesamo
PSN ID: Matesamo
3DS ID: 4253-3501-3218
Steam ID: Matesamo

#15 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   4702 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

This is tempting. I wanted an apple device to play iOS version of 999 and all those Cave shmups.

How long do temporary price cuts usually last? 

And if I can pick it up in-store, does that mean it is in-stock at that particular store?  Website says both models are sold out.

#16 nextisland   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   797 Posts   Joined 2.4 Years Ago  

nextisland

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

you guys are silly if you buy this it's a piece of junk. it's 2 generations behind. It has a5

#17 @FIF   Salty Dog CAGiversary!   1833 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

There's a good chance this gets dropped from iOS9 or starts missing out on major features.

It may be worth buying at this price if it's seen as a throw away device, but the Retina will likely be supported for 3+ years. If you plan to keep a tablet for awhile, it'll be worth it to wait for a decent deal on the Retina instead.

#18 Raccoon2117   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   322 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Raccoon2117

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:33 PM

Question for everyone: I've been looking at the Surface Pro for a while and am thinking of buying one through the $100 off when purchasing from a XP device, but this price is pretty tempting for an iPad Mini.

What sort of advantages would an iPad Mini have over the Surface Pro, if the main reason I'm getting the Surface is basically to have a more portable laptop (mainly to use Word, Excel, and some web surfing)?  

Does the iPad Mini come with any sort of software pre-loaded like Microsoft Office?  I realize that I could just go online and use Google Docs, but I'm not always going to be connected to the internet when I travel.

#19 @FIF   Salty Dog CAGiversary!   1833 Posts   Joined 3.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:40 PM

Question for everyone: I've been looking at the Surface Pro for a while and am thinking of buying one through the $100 off when purchasing from a XP device, but this price is pretty tempting for an iPad Mini.

What sort of advantages would an iPad Mini have over the Surface Pro, if the main reason I'm getting the Surface is basically to have a more portable laptop (mainly to use Word, Excel, and some web surfing)?

Does the iPad Mini come with any sort of software pre-loaded like Microsoft Office? I realize that I could just go online and use Google Docs, but I'm not always going to be connected to the internet when I travel.

They're very, very different devices. The Surface is large for a tablet and it's at its best as a laptop replacement. The Mini is small, light device that's great for app-centric computing, but I wouldn't use it as a laptop replacement. It's a bit too cramped--keyboard cases are available, but you're not going to get a full size board. I find mini boards hard to type on and wouldn't be as productive with a mini as a Surface or larger iPad for office/productivity work.

#20 yourlefthand   Daddy Gamer CAGiversary!   1706 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

yourlefthand

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

There's a good chance this gets dropped from iOS9 or starts missing out on major features.

I'm not saying this is the best deal or anything, but ios8 was just announced last week. iOS 9 is probably at least a year and a half away. In a year and a half this will still be worth 100 used. Seems like a reasonable deal for now.

#21 Spring Roll  

Spring Roll

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:13 PM

If I do store pickup can I pick it up today? Or should I try to price match at a Best Buy in store?

Post Script: I bit on this, seems like a good deal in my opinion. They aren't going to release a new iPad Mini till the earliest September and honestly I don't think they will. They're going to go hard on the iWatch and iPhone 6 for this Christmas season. Save the iPad stuff for early spring 2015. That's the Spring Roll predication anyways and I may or may not be an Apple head. 

#22 Helldweller87   Shots Fired CAGiversary!   568 Posts   Joined 1.4 Years Ago  

Helldweller87

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

I just looked up the Ipad mini on gamestops trade in page.  I notice with everything included they are giving $145 credit base.  With the xbox trade in bonus going on today you could actually trade this in with the 50% bonus and get $217 credit.  Now this isn't really a big profit or anything but if you don't really want target credit i guess this would be a way to convert target credit over to GS credit.  

Link to trade in page on GS.

http://www.gamestop....i 16GB - A1432

"Why should I be content to lead one nation, when I can control the whole world, 'Mr. President?"  Yuri : RA2

776390.png

776391.png

http://swagbucks.com/refer/Helldweller  Easy way to get free Gift Cards.  Check out this link.

#23 EdEddandEdge   Discounted Cheap Ass CAGiversary!   522 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

EdEddandEdge

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

I am tempted.............  Thanks OP

So Cheap, I once used a GGC to pay attention.

#24 Raccoon2117   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   322 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Raccoon2117

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:11 PM

They're very, very different devices. The Surface is large for a tablet and it's at its best as a laptop replacement. The Mini is small, light device that's great for app-centric computing, but I wouldn't use it as a laptop replacement. It's a bit too cramped--keyboard cases are available, but you're not going to get a full size board. I find mini boards hard to type on and wouldn't be as productive with a mini as a Surface or larger iPad for office/productivity work.

Thanks.  I guess I'll hold off on getting the iPad Mini... unless I think I might be able to make some sort of profit off of this.

Decisions, decisions...

#25 justinTlME   Mean CAGs P*** me off! CAGiversary!   977 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

justinTlME

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:12 PM

I'd rather get the iPad Mini with Retina Display. From what I can tell, Apple has a way to make older model iPhones obsolete by upgrading iOS, so while it can function when you upgrade it does get slower and less compatible with newer apps with each release. I would assume the same is true for iPads too. The first Mini has an A5 chip while the Mini with Retina has an A7 chip inside. I have no idea why they skipped the A6 (it's in the iPad released before the iPad Air).

If anyone who is more into Apple's ways can explain to me how my thinking is wrong and an older Mini is worth it I'd like to know while this deal is active.

The iPad mini with retina is a shrunken down iPad Air. It absolutely flies! I can vouch for it because I had both. I always wanted the iPad mini with retina but when the announcement happened last year and they couldn't give a release date (because of screen shortages) I decided to buy the iPad Air (which I loved!). One week later the iPad mini with retina magically appeared on store shelves with no announcement from apple. So I returned the air and got the mini retina (with money back). I absolutely LOVE my mini retina. (Typing on it now) As good of a deal the $199 mini sounds (first gen), I still wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Being that it's just a shrunken down iPad 2, it's getting pretty prehistoric.

I am thinking of trading in my iPad 2 for this. For one it has better speakers,two it has Siri and lastly it has lighting cable which is better than the original charging cable plus it does run quite better than my iPad 2 even though it has the same specs.

It doesn't run better, it's all in your head. It's only a shrunken down iPad 2. Trust me, if you want a mini you want the mini with retina.

:360: None  :xb1: Destiny, Halo: MCC, Sunset Overdrive
:ps3: None :ps4: Bloodborne, Borderlands: Handsome Collection, Destiny, DMC: Definitive, Dying Light, GTAV, Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
:wii: Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Super Smash Bros  :3ds:  Super Smash 3DS, Tomodachi Life, Zelda: Link Between Worlds
:psp: None

#26 Vanacloud   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   836 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

No retina = no buy.  Pass

#27 razorracer83   I got the need for speed. CAGiversary!   325 Posts   Joined 2.6 Years Ago  

razorracer83

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

With the ridiculous frequency Apple updates products (see iPad 3 to 4 update--only 7 months), I generally recommend people follow the Macrumors Buyer's Guide and only buy when it's "safe" to do so. For people really on a budget, I guess it's not so bad going back one generation. I'd avoid going back two or more though unless you're just using it for email, browsing, etc.

This.  I got a brand new, top-of-the-line 128GB 4G GSM iPad 4 for the same price as a 32GB iPad Air.  Though to be honest, you can honestly only save on the high capacity models, 32GB and up, since Apple is still only supporting the 16GB model.  Apparently the iPad 4 is the new iPad 2. 

Wii U!?! I don't think you could possibly give a game console a worse name!!!

http://www.youtube.c...&hl=en_US&rel=0

I stand corrected.

#28 plus1zero   SEC! SEC! SEC! CAGiversary!   3936 Posts   Joined 3.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

Wtf, iOS updates for years lol, the iPad 2 is getting iOS 8. That thing is 3 years old. I'd love to see many android devices that are that old that even got JB

#29 nosalenobuy   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   260 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

nosalenobuy

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

I used my GC to buy one as a birthday gift. I think it's a great deal.

#30 ryuzx   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

Wtf, iOS updates for years lol, the iPad 2 is getting iOS 8. That thing is 3 years old. I'd love to see many android devices that are that old that even got JB

I didn't say the iPad 2 wouldn't work with iOS 8, just that each new iOS update brings the model closer to obsolescence. I am saying that going out and buying an iPad 2 wouldn't be wise, and someone else claims on here that the iPad Mini is just a shrunk down iPad 2, which is why I suggest waiting for a good deal on the Mini with Retina.