Sony Playstation 24" 3D Display- $99.99 refurb at Newegg eBay

Thanks for the heads up! The one I bought a couple years ago is still going strong, at this price I might as well get another.

I loved mine, but had 3 of them in a four month period. I couldn't accept another knowing that it was just a matter of time before it breaks. Mabey the refurbished Tv's are better, possibly fixing the faulty part with one that won't break. If there is a factory warranty I might take a gamble for $100. Alot less stress at $100 vs $400.

Every time one of these pop up at this price is tempted to get one as a dual monitor for my desktop, but their failure rate detours me.

Manufacturer referb mean these came back from Sony?

This monitors have quite a few problems with screen blanking issues and very unfriendly when it comes to sunlight due to the glossy make. I'll pass. 

Using one right now. Pretty decent monitor I guess, but it does flash for a second (goes black and then comes back) from time to time. It was $99.99 during Best Buy Black Friday a couple years back.

Using one right now. Pretty decent monitor I guess, but it does flash for a second (goes black and then comes back) from time to time. It was $99.99 during Best Buy Black Friday a couple years back.
Got mine in the same sale and it has the same exact problem. A minor annoyance usually, but god help you if you decide to play Dark Souls on this thing. :lol:

Decent monitor. I bought it when it originally came out and the model still works. I bought a second one on Black Friday and that model died within a month. Definitely hit or miss with these sets.

Got mine in the same sale and it has the same exact problem. A minor annoyance usually, but god help you if you decide to play Dark Souls on this thing. :lol:
Group me in here. I have the exact same problem with the screen blanking intermittently.

Group me in here. I have the exact same problem with the screen blanking intermittently.
Same with mine, though sending it in for a warranty fix took care of it. Problem is I got a refurb with some minor scratches on the bezel, my ocd eyes won't unsee them. The screen is perfect though.

Bought one of these from BB in a sale. 

They are not a great monitor. Picture is ok if your on a console/watching a movie, but trying to use it as a computer monitor is horrible. They flicker with a white background (web browsing) and randomly turn off. Mine is now relegated to being the tv that my kid watches movies on, which means its used for maybe 2 hours a fortnight. 

Last i heard too, these are discontinued from the factory, so they dont have any warranty whatsoever as of earlier this year. So be aware your buying a TV that more than likely will fail on you within a year, and you are SOL when it does.

Honestly, Forget the 3d and buy a Vizio from walmart for around the same price, it will be a MUCH better TV/Monitor.

Bought one of these from BB in a sale.

They are not a great monitor. Picture is ok if your on a console/watching a movie, but trying to use it as a computer monitor is horrible. They flicker with a white background (web browsing) and randomly turn off. Mine is now relegated to being the tv that my kid watches movies on, which means its used for maybe 2 hours a fortnight.

Last i heard too, these are discontinued from the factory, so they dont have any warranty whatsoever as of earlier this year. So be aware your buying a TV that more than likely will fail on you within a year, and you are SOL when it does.

Honestly, Forget the 3d and buy a Vizio from walmart for around the same price, it will be a MUCH better TV/Monitor.
I've been using one on a secondary PC and PS3 for a while. The default settings are pretty bad (color temperature is too cool, backlight is too bright, and sharpness is too high). After adjustments: warm color temp, backlight down to 1 or 2, and sharpness all the way down, along with brightness/contrast calibration using test patterns, the image on this monitor is pretty good (and I see no flickering while web browsing).

My main complaint would be: 1) high glossiness of the screen, so there are lots of reflections, 2) viewing angles are not great (but it's a pretty small monitor), and 3) the stand is pretty basic and not really adjustable other than a small angle adjustment. Additionally, the control buttons on the monitor are not very convenient, but it works great with a PS3 remote that obviates the need to use them.

It works pretty well for 3d both on the PS3 and via manual modes (e.g., SBS) on the PC. There's a bit of ghosting, but this gets better with brightness/contrast/backlight calibration.

For $99, it is a pretty decent monitor, but, at this point, I would not pay much more than that (I picked mine up for $199 a couple years ago... still working).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using one on a secondary PC and PS3 for a while. The default settings are pretty bad (color temperature is too cool, backlight is too bright, and sharpness is too high). After adjustments: warm color temp, backlight down to 1 or 2, and sharpness all the way down, along with brightness/contrast calibration using test patterns, the image on this monitor is pretty good (and I see no flickering while web browsing).

My main complaint would be: 1) high glossiness of the screen, so there are lots of reflections, 2) viewing angles are not great (but it's a pretty small monitor), and 3) the stand is pretty basic and not really adjustable other than a small angle adjustment. Additionally, the control buttons on the monitor are not very convenient, but it works great with a PS3 remote that obviates the need to use them.

It works pretty well for 3d both on the PS3 and via manual modes (e.g., SBS) on the PC. There's a bit of ghosting, but this gets better with brightness/contrast/backlight calibration.

For $99, it is a pretty decent monitor, but, at this point, I would not pay much more than that (I picked mine up for $199 a couple years ago... still working).
The main thing that was mentioned to be causing the failures is the brightness settings. I cant remember what repair site i read it on but it said that if you have the brightness over 50 your failure rate is significantly higher than people who dont. My brightness has been below 50 since i bought it (which is probably why its lasted more than a year, but to be fair, it barely gets switched on.)

I have a vizio 50" as main monitor, a Vizio 27" as a secondary and this as my 3rd monitor. Out of the 3, it has the worst picture. Ive played with all the settings, color temps etc, nothing i can do makes it come close to the others when web browsing. Its fine for console gaming/blu rays as i said. It just doesnt cut it as a monitor in my opinion. The 27" vizio i use as my main web page monitor, was around the same price.

I have two I bought from Best Buy two Black Fridays ago and they are still going strong. Although on one of them the screen flickers a black screen once in a blue moon that lasts about 3 seconds are so. It's annoying when I'm playing multiplayer but other then that it's really neat. 

Definitely get extended warranty though. 

I use it for my primary screen for gaming or so spending about 1-2 hours average and about 6-8hours on my days off. I used the second screen for my computer but like everyone else it's not really usable for browsing the web and ended up using a different monitor. 

The main thing that was mentioned to be causing the failures is the brightness settings. I cant remember what repair site i read it on but it said that if you have the brightness over 50 your failure rate is significantly higher than people who dont. My brightness has been below 50 since i bought it (which is probably why its lasted more than a year, but to be fair, it barely gets switched on.)
That's so weird.

I have mine in my room. I had loaned it to my brother for almost 2 years, and when he gave it back to me the screen would go out. I still like it, and the size and picture work well for me, but it didn't do the screen-blacking before when I used it a few years back. I'm definitely going to check what the brightness is set for. My brother had told me he played with the levels, but never mentioned any issues with it (big surprise...).

I got mine at Best Buy for $99, gets daily use, and have never had a problem with it. I would have ordered another if they were not OOS. It is a really good display!

bread's done
Back