Zelda - Wii U

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Looks pretty sweet.  November 2015 (you know that's when it is coming) is a long way off though.  It would be really amazing if they turned it into a Skyrim type game with tons of side quests in addition to 6-8 huge dungeons to explore.

The whole... lasers thing doesn't seem very Zelda-esque. The game also looks too bright, like they're using bloom lighting. But those two minor nuances aside, the idea of just being to explore the entire world sounds awesome. 

I really enjoyed SS, especially since they made it more story driven, so I'm definitely amped for this. I just hope they give us traditional controls as an option (I would imagine they would, as the Wii U tablet makes perfect sense for a map/menu)... I didn't really care for the waggle combat in SS. 

The whole... lasers thing doesn't seem very Zelda-esque.
That wasn't gameplay, it was a video. Who knows if that's even in the game.

Did you see the grass, windmill, and all the other stuff moving around? I really doubt that shit is going to move like that, especially if there are huge explosions on screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't the Wii U more powerful than a PS3/360?  It should be able to handle those things just fine.  Also, it looks like the art style is a Skyward Sword/Wind Waker hybrid and those games looked great on their respective systems.  Nintendo knows how to squeeze juice out of their consoles and they have 18 months.

Anyway, I loved what they showed.  Honestly, it looks amazing:

legend-of-zelda-wii-u-gameplay-trailer-hd720ph264-aacmp4snapshot004220140611212900.jpg

Isn't the Wii U more powerful than a PS3/360? It should be able to handle those things just fine. Also, it looks like the art style is a Skyward Sword/Wind Waker hybrid and those games looked great on their respective systems. Nintendo knows how to squeeze juice out of their consoles and they have 18 months.

Anyway, I loved what they showed. Honestly, it looks amazing:

legend-of-zelda-wii-u-gameplay-trailer-hd720ph264-aacmp4snapshot004220140611212900.jpg
That was NOT gameplay.

Love the idea of an open world Zelda, but really hope the art style doesn't stick...that was something I have always disliked about WW & the subsequent games that came after it for the DS...I understand it may be that way due to hardware limitations but I'm still annoyed we were shown this: http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?u=http%3a%2f%2fimage.jeuxvideo.com%2fimages%2fwu%2fz%2fe%2fzelda-wii-u-wii-u-wiiu-1351539369-001.jpg&ehk=gU%2fJF3M%2fjd8C%2fZgkJHT5Ug&w=320&h=183&c=7&rs=1&p=0&pid=1.7

& suddenly got the above image instead...I know neither were meant to be gameplay but idc, I want a beautiful zelda game somewhat like I was shown last year...=_=

Looks pretty sweet. November 2015 (you know that's when it is coming) is a long way off though. It would be really amazing if they turned it into a Skyrim type game with tons of side quests in addition to 6-8 huge dungeons to explore.
It does look nice. I know they're calling it "open world," but I'm skeptical that the scope will be anything near Skyrim.

The whole... lasers thing doesn't seem very Zelda-esque.
I had no problem with the beam posts that have been in quite a few titles, going back to LTTP on SNES. I agree that mob looks a little odd. Anyhow, as for the look of it, supposedly the whole thing was in-engine, none of it was rendered.

Maybe not gameplay, but it was in-game footage.
From what they're saying, the game sounds great. To believe that anything they're showing now as a cut scene is anything like gameplay 18 months from now is foolish. It's almost like people are so blinded by NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!! that all common sense and memory of every other game studio's early trailers setting up unrealistic expectations has been forgotten. Nintendo has done it before, all the developers have. Most recently Watchdogs.

From what they're saying, the game sounds great. To believe that anything they're showing now as a cut scene is anything like gameplay 18 months from now is foolish. It's almost like people are so blinded by NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!! that all common sense and memory of every other game studio's early trailers setting up unrealistic expectations has been forgotten. Nintendo has done it before, all the developers have. Most recently Watchdogs.
It's probably going to look even better when it comes out because NINTENDO!!!!

I don't think Gen

Actually, I don't recall Nintendo ever showing non-real time footage for their trailers/video. Yes, sometimes they show trailers for a IP that's not an actual game (like the Zelda spider boss clip they showed last year) but they're not ones to use "target" videos like other companies do.

The only concern I have is that there will be too much empty space between interesting points. I do not want to be riding Epona for five to ten minutes to get where I want to go_Other than that, I am sure the graphics are going to be fine, since Nintendo has been putting great attention to detail in their graphics in recent Wii U releases. The gameplay will also most likely be fine, since Windwaker had an interesting open world to explore, which this game can take inspiration from ,and we all know Nintendo knows how to make interesting dungeons.

I don't think Gen

Actually, I don't recall Nintendo ever showing non-real time footage for their trailers/video. Yes, sometimes they show trailers for a IP that's not an actual game (like the Zelda spider boss clip they showed last year) but they're not ones to use "target" videos like other companies do.
Okay well I'm not going to argue about this. You can get yourself all hyped up. I'd rather be surprised that it actually looks like they showed than disappointed.

[quote name="Blaster man" post="11839061" timestamp="1402633124"]From what they're saying, the game sounds great. To believe that anything they're showing now as a cut scene is anything like gameplay 18 months from now is foolish. It's almost like people are so blinded by NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!! that all common sense and memory of every other game studio's early trailers setting up unrealistic expectations has been forgotten. Nintendo has done it before, all the developers have. Most recently Watchdogs.[/quote]

Well, as you note, this is hardly limited to Nintendo. Everyone gets hyped over early trailers. It's just part of the industry.

The only concern I have is that there will be too much empty space between interesting points. I do not want to be riding Epona for five to ten minutes to get where I want to go.
I'm also wondering about this. That's one of the main problems I have with open worlds...hopefully there will be close warping areas to everything like in ALBW, MM, & WW.

They showed off a little bit for the Game Awards. Begins at about 44 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypR03D1nISA&t=44s

No way to tell how finished the open world is, so I expect a lot of people being afraid that the final game could be just as sparse as this video. I also can't imagine them not putting some kind of fast travel in after you've been to an area before.

Technically Frisky already posted this to the general Wii U discussion thread, but eh.

I would love some direct footage of the video to get a better understanding of the details/footage. It looks good but kinda hard to tell off screen. 

A Link Between Worlds showed me that they're going int he right direction with Zelda. I hope this game continues with the idea of "doing things in any order". I'd really love it if it was a lot like the original game where it just sorta dumps you in and says "good luck!" Let me figure things out and explore on my own.

A Link Between Worlds showed me that they're going int he right direction with Zelda. I hope this game continues with the idea of "doing things in any order". I'd really love it if it was a lot like the original game where it just sorta dumps you in and says "good luck!" Let me figure things out and explore on my own.
What I would really love is like Skyrim is where there is tons of little caves/dungeons to explore for no reason other than to find loot/items.

Have the world full of that stuff.

bread's done
Back