Mario Kart 8 + 4 Digital Titles $75 (Wii U + 6 Games for roughly $275)

nintendokingdom

CAGiversary!
https://thegamerpad.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/special-feature-mario-kart-8-4-digital-titles-75-wii-u-6-games-for-roughly-275/

Ok I copied and pasted the steps from the link.  Here is how you do it, you gotta jump through a couple hoops.  Take 1 trip to Best Buy and spend around 15 Minutes on Club Nintendo's website.  Don't really want to get into a debate about the ethics of this, do it or don't, that's up to you

Step 1a) Buy 3 copies of Mario Kart from Best Buy.  The price currently is $60, or $48 for those with a Gamers Club Unlocked Membership.  Don’t worry though, Amazon currently has the game priced for $48.80, get Best Buy to Price Match this if you don’t have GCU.

3 Copies of Mario Kart 8 at $48.80 = $146.60 BEFORE TAX  (*$144 if you have GCU membership)

Step 2a) Open your 3 copies of Mario Kart 8 take out the Club Nintendo registration codes, and trade them back into Best Buy (you currently receive $40 credit per copy…$44 if you have GCU).

Trade- in Credit for the 3 Copies of Mario Kart 8 = $120 (*$132 if you have GCU membership)

Step 1b & 2b) The same basic idea, but you would buy 1 copy, open it, and then trade it in.  Using your $40/$44 trade in credit to buy your 2nd copy.  Then you open that, trade it in, and use the credit to buy your 3rd copy.  This way you’re only required $70 or so (after tax) cash in hand to buy your initial copy, and your end result is $$40/44 in trade-in credit instead of $120/$132

Step 3) *Ignore this step if you’ve already purchased a personal copy of Mario Kart 8 for yourself, or if you don’t want Mario Kart 8 Use your trade-in credit and now purchase your copy of Mario Kart 8.  Best Buy limits the GCU to only 3 copies of the same SKU, so those using the GCU membership might not be able to buy a 4th copy at $48.  If that is the case, this is when you use the Amazon price-match.   For those using the Amazon Price-Match for the previous 3 copies, I’m not sure how many copies they limit a customer to when performing a price-match.  The way around this would be to just ring up different transactions, or just order directly off Amazon and hope that Best Buy’s trade-in value doesn’t go down before you receive your copies.

Step 4) Go to club.nintendo.com and create/use your main account.  Then create 3 (2 if you didn’t buy a personal copy) other accounts that you will add to your family. This is explained here on their support site.

Step 5) Register all 4 (3 if you didn’t buy a personal copy) and then select a different free game for each one.  Write-down, save, copy, etc your Redeem Codes.

Step 6) Boot up your Wii U, go to the eShop and select “Download Code” at the top of the eShop menu.  Enter in each of your codes individually and you should end up with all 4 digital downloads.  *If you don’t have a Wii U yet you can hold onto these codes until they expire, but I’m not sure when that exactly is.  If you order a refurbished Wii U and are waiting on it to ship to you, you should be fine if you redeem it when you get your Wii U.

Summary) Following Steps 1A & 2A You will spend roughly $146.60 + TAX on purchasing 3 copies of Mario Kart 8.  You will then turn that $146.60 + TAX into $120 ($132 if you have GCU) Best Buy Store Credit PLUS the 3

Redeem Codes.   If you do Steps 1B & 2B you’ll spend $48.80 + TAX initially, and then $8.80 on each of the other 2 copies, costing you $66.40, turning that into $40 store credit PLUS the 3 Redeem Codes (GCU Members Spend $56 and end up with $44 store credit) .

If you follow Steps 1A/2A or 1B/2B depends on how much it bothers you to turn cash into store-credit, and/or how much of a hassle it is for you to break things up into several transactions.

You then use your remaining store credit on the final copy of Mario Kart 8, which you keep for yourself and gives you the 4th Redeem code.  Or you can just keep the credit for another time.

BONUS) If you have a Deluxe Wii U and are part of the Digital Deluxe Promotion you will receive Reward points for every one of these “free” purchases. The points should go Wii Party U (399), NSMBU (499), Pikmin 3 (599) and Zelda Wind Waker (349).  Which is 1846 Points.  You get a $5 giftcard for every 500 points.  This means you’ll receive $15 in Nintendo eShop Giftcard and be 144 points away from another $5 (This might be incorrect, but I believe when you use your $15 eShop Giftcard, that will be another 150 points).

MORE BONUS) If you’re a Best Buy Rewards Member you should receive 2x points for every video game purchase.  That means you’ll receive 96 points for every Mario Kart 8 you purchase.  If you purchase 3 that’s 288 points, 4 copies would be 384.  $5 Reward Cards are rewarded for every 250 points.  You earned another $5 in Best Buy Store Credit

SIDE BONUS) The Gamers Club Unlocked Membership is currently on sale for $60 for a 2 year subscription.  This gives you 20% off all new game purchases and 10% extra in trade-in.   This will pay for itself if there are 5 games you plan on buying at $60 MSRP in the next 2 years.

FINAL RESULTS) Those who haven’t purchased Mario Kart 8 for themselves yet will spend roughly $75 for a personal copy of Mario Kart 8 and all 4 Digital Downloads (some of the Wii U’s best games), $20 in eShop Store Credit and a $5 Best Buy Reward Certificate if you follow Steps 1B & 2B.  Steps 1A & 2A would result in you spending around $150 and recieiving Mario Kart 8, All 4 Digital Downloads, $20 in eShop Store Credit and $120 in Trade-in Credit ($132if you’re a GCU Member) and a $5 Best Buy Rewards Certificate.

If you already own Mario Kart 8, you’re looking at spending around $65 and getting the other 3 Digital Copies, $15 in eShop Store Credit, a $5 Best Buy Reward Certificate and $40 ($44 if you have GCU) in Store Credit.  That’s turning $65 cash into $60 in random credits ($64 for GCU) plus getting all 3 Digital Copies

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool but the guide fails to mention that you need to have the family feature tied to your account in order to redeem more than one code.

Just missed it.. I swore it wasn't there before.. Oh well.

I don't approve of this. Your basically exploiting Nintendo and us preowned buyers have no chance of a free game.
Hate to break it to you but Nintendo gets $0 out of the pre-owned purchase so Nintendo is definitely not intending for a free game to go to someone purchasing pre-owned. The free game deal also only runs until July 31st so unless you got a pre-owned copy in this first two months (which you're most likely paying $50 - $55 for) you're not getting the free game anyways.

*Here is a copy & paste job that I previously used to explain why this isn't as evil as it initially seems.

I already own physical copies of every one of those games, so Nintendo didn't lose sales on the digital copies...I was never going to purchase them digitally anyways. Nintendo actually just sold 3 more Mario Kart 8's at a retailer from me doing this which Nintendo already assumes the free digital game is going with each copy. The sales numbers increase for Mario Kart 8, even if they're padded from that promotion it helps Nintendo to some degree. I don't know what outweighs what, the fact I'm buying digital copies for free that I already owned physically or Nintendo has 3 more physical sales of MK8, I think the MK8 sales should be more significant. Obviously everyone who takes advantage of this won't have all the physical copies like me, but again Nintendo should account for one copy of Mario Kart having one of those digital games with it.

Best Buy is selling games and taking the trade in at the prices they have determined. That is their decision. They're not going to have any difficulty selling used copies of Mario Kart 8, with the history of past Mario Kart games they have held their used value higher than most other games. This shouldn't be a title that will be in the bargain bin used, it will be highly sought after for years...especially if Nintendo releases DLC for it.

Cool but the guide fails to mention that you need to have the family feature tied to your account in order to redeem more than one code.
I believe Step 4 mentions you have to add it to the family and links it to the directions on Nintendo's site how to do this.

https://thegamerpad.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/special-feature-mario-kart-8-4-digital-titles-75-wii-u-6-games-for-roughly-275/

This link breaks down how to do it. Too long to put into a single post. Sorry if this kind of thing is frowned upon for a post, but it is a method to get all 4 of the Free Download Games (Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U, Wii Party U and Wind Waker HD) plus Mario Kart 8 for around $75...I figured the CheapAssGamers would like it.
It's generally frowned upon to post a link to one's personal blog. This post really doesn't merit it's own thread as it requires a number of hoops to achieve your net result.

It's not a bad idea; if you're lucky you can combine a PM with the $15 w/ reservation at Target, get these promo games and turn a profit.

It's generally frowned upon to post a link to one's personal blog. This post really doesn't merit it's own thread as it requires a number of hoops to achieve your net result.

It's not a bad idea; if you're lucky you can combine a PM with the $15 w/ reservation at Target, get these promo games and turn a profit.
Just listed out the steps so it's not just a link to the explanation. Don't really wanna upset people here, just trying to relay info

You really think you're going to get the free download if you buy used either way? Yeah right
I've gotten lucky with used Disney and nintendo codes. But they were never tied to a free game though.

------------

Op, if your going down dirt bag road why don't you buy 20 copies and sell all the codes and trade in the games

I don't approve of this. Your basically exploiting Nintendo and us preowned buyers have no chance of a free game.
I don't know why you'd expect this. Preowned items frequently come without codes.

There have always been users doing crazy things to get crazy deals here. People were taking games back and forth between GS and BBV and even local places. They have exploited loopholes before. It happens. The real "problem" around here is that we have more people coming to this site, so when people hoard (buy excessive amounts) less people get on the deal. It sucks but that's life. It's like rubbing salt in the wound for some when they see other users selling items with a markup instead of helping out the people who didn't get in. I just wish people would get more into the habit of putting their offers/request in the trading forum so I don't have to see the whiners or how many you wish to sell.

*edit*

We also have a lot more hand holding too. Since a lot of newer users don't want to read through the threads.

Can others confirm that this definitely work with just a regular nintendo club account and by simply adding the family feature is the workaround to the one code limit? Just seems to good to be true! Thanks!!!

I always love when people think they stumbled upon something brilliant, when it's actually fairly simple and obvious. I also enjoy how the OP used roughly 1,050 words to say something that boils down to...

Buy Mario Kart 8, open it, remove the Club Nintendo voucher, trade it into BestBuy, redeem the voucher for a free game. Can be repeated up to 3 times per person. Family account is needed to redeem multiple Mario Kart 8 codes. Digital copies are eligible for digital DX promo and can net you up to $15 dollars in eShop credit. 

Anyway, I'm with the people sad to see another SlickDeals-esque post. I know its been this way for a while, but it's always disappointing when I see people buying something for the collectors value or trying to exploit as many things as possible. On a high note, thanks to those that will surely exploit this, you can expect the trade in value of Mario Kart 8 to drop FAST. This will probably result in some people getting burned, which is always welcomed. ^^

I'm just glad the OP figured this out for us and shared it with us. I never would have known to buy the game multiple times and trade all but one in. So glad he was the first to figure that out.

I always love when people think they stumble upon something brilliant, when it's actually fairly simple and obvious. I also enjoy how the OP used roughly 1,050 words to say something that boils down to...

Buy Mario Kart 8, open it, remove the Club Nintendo voucher, trade it into BestBuy, redeem the voucher for a free game. Can be repeated up to 3 times per person. Family account is needed to redeem multiple Mario Kart 8 codes. Digital copies are eligible for digital DX promo and can net you up to $15 dollars in eShop credit.

Anyway, I'm with the people sad to see another SlickDeals-esque post. I know its been this way for a while, but it's always disappointing when I see people buying something for the collectors value or trying to exploit as many things as possible. On a high note, thanks to those that will surely exploit this, you can expect the trade in value of Mario Kart 8 to drop FAST. This will probably result in some people getting burned, which is always welcomed. ^^
mario cart wii has 33 million copys out there and yet gamestop STILL gives 12$ for it lol. i dont think the value will tank like you think

mario cart wii has 33 million copys out there and yet gamestop STILL gives 12$ for it lol. i dont think the value will tank like you think
Do you really think the value will remain at $40 if people follow this post and trade in multiple copies of the game? I mean, all you need is the TIV to hit $30 for this deal to turn to shit. If that did happen, even at the price of $46 per copy of Mario Kart 8, you're looking at about $16 per code. Considering people sell them for roughly that, it would make this a huge and overly elaborate way to save pennies, if even that.

Im just looking for one extra game (Zelda) not a full exploit. Excuse me for being new to the Nintendo Club and being able to afford multiple copies...

A life full of spite... Wow, that must really suck!

I always love when people think they stumble upon something brilliant, when it's actually fairly simple and obvious. I also enjoy how the OP used roughly 1,050 words to say something that boils down to...

I'm not a big fan of this because it seems wrong. But Nintendo gets a lot more early sales than they would have otherwise, so I think this is good for Nintendo's numbers. Even though it's stupid for Best Buy to buy all these back, they're the ones who are offering a certain price for them. You're not forcing them buy them back... Best buy isn't going sell a bunch till the promotion is over and I feel that sometime they'll be stuck selling them at a loss. But that just shows they're stupid for keeping the buyback price unnecessarily high (Amazon's only offering $26)...

He's not exploiting anyone. If anything, nintendo is making money from his purchase. Preowned buyers don't get the right to the chance of a free game. They already aren't giving nintendo money, why should they get a free game? If anyone is exploting nintendo, its a used game buyer.

Very big overraction. Nothing wrong with him trying to get some extra games and $$. He isn't doing anything wrong like return fraud. Thats slick deals crap.

Do you really think the value will remain at $40 if people follow this post and trade in multiple copies of the game? I mean, all you need is the TIV to hit $30 for this deal to turn to shit. If that did happen, even at the price of $46 per copy of Mario Kart 8, you're looking at about $16 per code. Considering people sell them for roughly that, it would make this a huge and overly elaborate way to save pennies, if even that.
Well, I seriously doubt there will be a huge trade in of this game enough for bb to drop its value. Most drops happen due to low buy in, and a huge trade in. Doing this for codes for a selection of limited games, yeah, I don't see people rushing out the door for that.

People tripping over this, yet are perfectly okay with dozens of pages of CAGs basically robbing Target with their $15 off promo. The Exploit Police have much more to cry about on that thread... CAGs are going nuts trying to get every game out of Target for next to nothing, yet the Exploit Police are all riled up on this thread? See the irony? If not, exit your mother's basement and get some fresh air for 15 minutes and that will certainly help.

This doesn't seem close to as bad as the Microsoft glitch from 2 weeks ago. There was lots of bragging about cleaning out the MS Store and bringing it over to Target for the triple trade in or getting Wolfenstein day of of release for pretty much free after trades.

I'm just glad the OP figured this out for us and shared it with us. I never would have known to buy the game multiple times and trade all but one in. So glad he was the first to figure that out.
Bahahah.

It really is stupid though. This is not a "deal" so much as it is just specific instructions for exploiting the same deal and trade-in 3x.

Very big overraction. Nothing wrong with him trying to get some extra games and $$. He isn't doing anything wrong like return fraud. Thats slick deals crap.
There nothing wrong at all in terms of it being fraud (because it's not). This is totally legit. Although the thread is pointless, because as far as I can tell it amounts to just taking the already well known deal - and doing it 3 times.

I've never been big on buying multiple copies of the same game to exploit deals. Generally speaking, that is for desparate/poor people or for kids with no money. Whenever I see an adult doing this (and I have, especially during black friday) it's 100% of the time a waste of a human being that is carrying out this type of activity.

If you have Gamers Club Unlocked and use it on this, I would give you a 90% chance of being banned.  You are only allowed 3 copies of a game per year and I believe trade ins count towards this number as well.

bread's done
Back