Nintendo Refurbished 3DS $95, 3DS XL $135 +Tax/Shipping

I can't decide wether to get the 3DS or XL. I do like the idea of having the smaller device for easier portability, but I would probably want the bigger screen. Does anyone have experience with both and has suggestions? 

I can't decide wether to get the 3DS or XL. I do like the idea of having the smaller device for easier portability, but I would probably want the bigger screen. Does anyone have experience with both and has suggestions?
I have both and could never see myself going back to the 3ds and the xl is just as portable I have it in a cushioned case and take with me in the car and trips and every place I go

I saw someone else comment on this in favor of the XL and while I don't have an XL, I used to use my 3DS constantly, but as soon as I got my Vita, that tiny 3DS screen was pretty hard to handle. Can't wait to get an XL.

hmm how long does nintendo usually take with standard shipping? i need a replacement 3ds greatly

I saw someone else comment on this in favor of the XL and while I don't have an XL, I used to use my 3DS constantly, but as soon as I got my Vita, that tiny 3DS screen was pretty hard to handle. Can't wait to get an XL.
Thanks for that. I also have a Vita, so I can see this possibly being an issue for me. $40 is a game or 2, so I was hoping it was something that I could look passed. Since I already thought it could be an issue, this just further helps make my decision.

The original 3DS is pretty bad. Not only with build quality, but the overall device. Too cramped, small screen, seems flimsy/cheap, fake buttons, poor hinges, and bad shoulder buttons.

You want the XL, when you go XL you never go back trust me. It's still plenty portable unless you plan on carrying the system directly in your pocket. I don't have any of the pixelation issues other people describe.

The only problem I have with the XL is that the back colored plate comes up on one side on the bottom. It is only held on with 2 screws so I don't think it's really held on properly. The plastic the plate is made of is really thin and flimsy plastic and the plastic around those 2 screws is even more thin and flimsy. I have heard that this plate can break off at the screws easily, especially if you put it in one of those clear cases then try to take it off. The top colored plate doesn't have this issue. This would go for all XL's but I am not sure about the black one as maybe it doesn't use a colored plate.

The original 3DS is fairly sturdy but it does have its own problems. None if the buttons feel that good, the DPad is very stiff and all the buttons squeak and creak. I heard that Nintendo is eventually going to discontinue the OG 3DS.

I've owned a aqua blue 3ds since launch in march 2011. When the XL's came out they caught my eye and I read good reviews on them so I ended up purchasing one a few months ago. In the end I ended up just keeping my original 3ds and selling the XL. The image looks better to my eyes on the original and the speakers on the original have far more output and since I never use headphones this was a major concern. The XL did have some advantages though because the buttons felt better on it (especially the dpad) and since it's larger it's a bit easier to hold. The battery life was a bit better on the XL as well but the system was quite a bit heavier and it actually seemed to cause more fatigue in the hands after playing for half and hour. I have yet to hold a 2ds but I would like to try one of those. In the end I would probably go with buying a refurb original for $95 because that's hard to beat. Trust me you will be happy with it overall and have enough money to buy a game or two for what the refurb XL cost. Another good thing about a refurb is you don't have to be concerned with dead pixels too much since these systems have probably been checked top to bottom and had screens replaced if they had any. The XL I purchased new had a stuck red pixel on the top screen that really stood out on black/darker images. Luckily my original did not have and still has no dead pixels the screens are beautiful.

I am thinking of biting on this myself, but while waiting in line at the E3/Best Buy SSB events was reminded about how much I rely on my Nyko Power Pak+ battery. I use my 3DS at a lot of events for Streetpass and my son, who refuses to use the extended battery, always has his 3DS die on him while I am usually good to go for the day. I looked around for something similar for the XL but only found very expensive battery. Is there anything affordable out there that I am missing?

The original 3DS is pretty bad. Not only with build quality, but the overall device. Too cramped, small screen, seems flimsy/cheap, fake buttons, poor hinges, and bad shoulder buttons.
I don't think the original 3DS is built bad at all never had an issue with mine at all, I have never thought anything on the system was cheap and I've had an XL system to compare and just didn't like it plus when they increased the size of the screens on the XL they did not increase the resolution its the same as the regular 3ds, http://kotaku.com/5935578/the-nintendo-3ds-xl-the-kotaku-review

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a 3DS with 7 games and a case yesterday locally on a thrift shop page for $50. Messed around with it and it's pretty nice. I have a new XL Zelda bundle I haven't opened and may just sell it. Hadn't used one since my Zelda DS maybe 6 years ago.

I got a 3DS with 7 games and a case yesterday locally on a thrift shop page for $50. Messed around with it and it's pretty nice. I have a new XL Zelda bundle I haven't opened and may just sell it. Hadn't used one since my Zelda DS maybe 6 years ago.
After all we've said about the XL being so much better? Hmmmm

You want the 3DS.

I prefer the smaller size of the 3DS because I like to keep mine in pocket at all times for on-the-go play and streetpasses. The 3DSXL's increased size makes this more difficult, because that thing is goddamn huge. (And no, I don't wear skinny jeans, before someone says that.
I am nowhere near the appropriate weight or body type for that to be in my wardrobe.)

The 3DSXL screen is a bit too big. I feel like I have to play the system at arm's length to see the entire screen. This can become a bit uncomfortable and awkward, even moreso considering...

...the 3D effect is easier to keep in focus on the 3DS. Because the screen on the XL is bigger, I have a tendency to hold it further away from my face, which causes me the break the 3D effect. When I bring it in closer the screen overtakes my field of view, which is awkward and uncomfortable, so I try to hold it further away...this breaks the 3D effect again, and thus a cycle is born.

The screen on the 3DS was designed to be the size it is on the original 3DS hardware. The 3DSXL has a larger screen, but isn't higher resolution, resulting in big ol' chunky pixels. Frankly this is hideous in my opinion, and it makes beautiful games a disgusting mess on the larger screen.

I prefer the classier "Sleek and Glossy" appearance of the 3DS hardware versus the "Toy-Like" 3DSXL hardware. The 3DS feels like a professionally made piece of electronics whereas the 3DSXL definitely feels like a "My First 3DS" product.

Speakers on the 3DS are louder and clearer on the 3DS than the 3DSXL.

The battery is expandable on the 3DS. Now I personally don't have any issues with the 3DS' battery life like some do, but if I wanted to get an extended life battery for my 3DS, multiple solutions are available. The 3DSXL has no such option to my knowledge.

I just enjoy the color treatment on the original hardware better. The tri-layer design and the beautiful gradient-tone lid just look amazing.

img001.jpg

3ds_purple_thumb.jpg

The 3DSXL's all-around flat colors are just boring by comparison.

Haven't owned/used a standard 3DS, but i have noticed when playing with the XL i own that it is, in fact, a bit on the heavy side.  Not so much that it bothers me, but enough to convince me to buy a regular 3DS rather than an XL for my gf.

My advice would be to find a friend who owns both and play a bit on each.. Aka try them both out in a real world situation... Not a demo unit since those have extra stuff on them to make them heavier. Most people I know who have these systems have both the 3DS and the 3DSXL. From conventions I have gone to most people have the XL over the original or both. If so many people have the XL there must be something great about it right?

The limited editions solve the ugly colors problem. I have no issues with pixelation, in fact it feels like I am seeing all my games in a new light after getting an XL.

It doesn't really matter which one you pick as they all play the same games.

I think what it really boils down to is where you intend to use it. If you're buying a 3DSXL to just play at home as a game system that doesn't require a display, I think the 3DSXL is perfectly fine.

But if you want a system that's pocketable and more easily portable, I think the original 3DS model is the way to go.

From conventions I have gone to most people have the XL over the original or both. If so many people have the XL there must be something great about it right?
There's two main reasons for this, I believe:

1) All of the Limited Edition and Special Design systems have all been 3DSXLs with a few exceptions. (Fire Emblem LE comes to mind.) Convention-goers are more likely to be super-geeks that would be purchasing said LE systems.

2) The original 3DS hardware has become more and more hard to come by over the last 18 months. Your average retailer is likely to have 3DSXL and 2DS hardware, but no more 3DS stock remaining.

You want the 3DS.

I prefer the smaller size of the 3DS because I like to keep mine in pocket at all times for on-the-go play and streetpasses. The 3DSXL's increased size makes this more difficult, because that thing is goddamn huge. (And no, I don't wear skinny jeans, before someone says that.
I am nowhere near the appropriate weight or body type for that to be in my wardrobe.)

The 3DSXL screen is a bit too big. I feel like I have to play the system at arm's length to see the entire screen. This can become a bit uncomfortable and awkward, even moreso considering...

...the 3D effect is easier to keep in focus on the 3DS. Because the screen on the XL is bigger, I have a tendency to hold it further away from my face, which causes me the break the 3D effect. When I bring it in closer the screen overtakes my field of view, which is awkward and uncomfortable, so I try to hold it further away...this breaks the 3D effect again, and thus a cycle is born.

The screen on the 3DS was designed to be the size it is on the original 3DS hardware. The 3DSXL has a larger screen, but isn't higher resolution, resulting in big ol' chunky pixels. Frankly this is hideous in my opinion, and it makes beautiful games a disgusting mess on the larger screen.

I prefer the classier "Sleek and Glossy" appearance of the 3DS hardware versus the "Toy-Like" 3DSXL hardware. The 3DS feels like a professionally made piece of electronics whereas the 3DSXL definitely feels like a "My First 3DS" product.

Speakers on the 3DS are louder and clearer on the 3DS than the 3DSXL.

The battery is expandable on the 3DS. Now I personally don't have any issues with the 3DS' battery life like some do, but if I wanted to get an extended life battery for my 3DS, multiple solutions are available. The 3DSXL has no such option to my knowledge.

I just enjoy the color treatment on the original hardware better. The tri-layer design and the beautiful gradient-tone lid just look amazing.

img001.jpg

3ds_purple_thumb.jpg

The 3DSXL's all-around flat colors are just boring by comparison.

I agree. I got a xl and end up giving to my brother. It's nice to hold but feels overwhelming to me. The large screen is nice, but not as sharp. It's too big to fit in the pant pocket.

I got a 3ds. The buttons on the xl seems better vs 3ds. The 3ds seems like a more soild product. Don't get me wrong, both systems are great. I guess it depends on what the user is looking for.

bread's done
Back