Gamestop: Smash Bros Wii U game, gamecube controller, controller adapter bundle $100

Hopefully Best Buy will carry the bundle and we can get 20% off in GCU.
Hoping the same, and I'd be surprised if they don't. They had Smashfest, and have had a good relationship with Nintendo as a whole lately. I think I'd grab this with the 20% GCU. Hoping the $5 GC is available again, it was only for Smashfest folks last I heard (and that was a line I wasn't waiting in!)

It doesn't look like it's going to be endorsed by nintendo but IDK.

Seems more like a gamestop thing.
It's a real bundle and the price is MSRP...

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/10/5796862/nintendo-gamecube-controller-bundle-coming-this-holiday-season

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U controller bundle, consisting of a Nintendo GameCube controller and an adapter will be available this holiday season for a recommended price of $99.99, the company announced during its E3 2014 Digital Event.
Anyway, why do so many people want to turn this forum into a news forum? We don't need a topic for every MSRP bundle or collectors edition that comes on the market and it's why the official CE thread was made. Sure some people will be left in the cold, but what makes more sense to you... making 1 topic per stupid bundle that literally floods the front page or telling those lazy ****s to read a thread and shut up? To me it's the latter that makes sense, though I know someone will explain how the former is more logical.

Last edited by a moderator:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/10/5796862/nintendo-gamecube-controller-bundle-coming-this-holiday-season

Anyway, why do so many people want to turn this forum into a news forum? We don't need a topic for every MSRP bundle or collectors edition that comes on the market and it's why the official CE thread was made. Sure some people will be left in the cold, but what makes more sense to you... making 1 topic per stupid bundle that literally floods the front page or telling those lazy ****s to read a thread and shut up? To me it's the latter that makes sense, though I know someone will explain how the former is somehow more logical.

Oh okay, I didn't know about this lol

Anyway, why do so many people want to turn this forum into a news forum? We don't need a topic for every MSRP bundle or collectors edition that comes on the market and it's why the official CE thread was made. Sure some people will be left in the cold, but what makes more sense to you... making 1 topic per stupid bundle that literally floods the front page or telling those lazy ****s to read a thread and shut up? To me it's the latter that makes sense, though I know someone will explain how the former is more logical.
Calm your tits.

This is still cheaper than buying all 3 individually, despite being officially endorsed by Nintendo.

:beer:

yeah man, I mean, I can use PS2 controllers on my PS4 and Xbox controllers on my Xbox One.
ive never owned a wii u (will have one by tommorow) and i was under the assumption that there was a usb port or two in the system. if so couldnt they just make a gamecube controller which uses usb and not need the adaptor ?

It's $10 cheaper than buying all three, but $20 more than the game and the adapter, if you still have your Gamecube remotes. I guess getting the Special Edition controller will be a selling point for some people, too.

Wait they are going to make a NEW GameCube controller?

That's like Microsoft making a new controller for xbox
yep and dispite it being brand new you are still forced to use an adaptor, bussiness wise its smart as us smash zombies love the cube controller for the game. it sucks cause nintendo is forcing us to buy another accessory :(

The Adapter is great for those of us that still have game cube controllers. The Adapter along is like $20.

But I mean, they could have just not done anything. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I wonder if the new GC controller will have a longer cable like the white one released for the Wii in Japan. I am expecting Wavebirds to go up again lol. 

The Adapter is great for those of us that still have game cube controllers. The Adapter along is like $20.

But I mean, they could have just not done anything. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
what im saying is that imo a controller that doesnt need the adaptor could have been sold separately. i have no problem with the adaptor but if you make a brand new controller theres no reason why it shouldnt use usb

It seems like there is some confusion about the Gamecube controllers.  The wired one from the bundle will connect to the adapter which connects to the USB ports of the Wii U.  This means the entire connection is wired, which from what I have heard is preferred by "professional" Smash players.  It also makes more sense to make the end of the new controller a gamecube socket and to have a gamecube controller adapter so people who already have 3-4 Gamecube controllers don't have to buy 3-4 new controllers.  I'm no Nintendo defender, but this is an instance where they're not screwing people over, yet some are still finding something to complain about...

If you don't want to buy an adapter and don't care about a wired vs. wireless connection, at E3 Nintendo showed off some new Gamecube style controllers which seem to plug directly into a Wii remote just like the old classic controller.  Here is a link with some pictures and info about the wireless ones.  Gamestop also has these wireless ones on their website for $25 each.  That seems reasonable for custom controllers with character designs.

http://kotaku.com/the-new-wii-u-gamecube-controllers-are-super-hot-1588991448

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/467867/super-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds-box-art-revealed/

That's it, and the link shows the 3DS box art too.

Two sick looking box arts, but boy, I'm still not sold on the title of these games.
Hahah yeah the names are super weak.

I get that they are two different variants on the game so they need to specify but not really.

You could easily name the Wii U version something like Super Smash Bros ScuffleU while the 3DS is just Super Smash Bros Scuffle

That way you know which is which and you dont have stupid names like they have now.

I think the new ones look pretty awesome, and I know my fiance is going to want the Yoshi one.  I may pick up an adapter too for 4-player matches since I have a bunch of gamecube controllers around the house.

they could have just named it ”super smash brothers ultimate” or somethin. then again nintendo came up with the horrid ”wii-u” name lol. cant wait to beat all of you guys on here when the game releases :D

when I was doing trades gamestop wouldnt let me preorder this bundle despite being announced will just cancel the sunset pre order so I can still had extra 40% on this

I just hope my wavebirds work with the adapter. I don't see why not.
I haven't seen a statement one way or the other, but I feel that the wavebird would work. I mean, plug the dongle into the adapter port, the adapter is going to see it like any other controller, right?

Anyhow, I, for one, was excited to hear about the GC controller adapter. I have several sealed first party GC controllers that I got on clearance a long time ago, and this could make them sellable for a decent price, I hope.

[quote name="Masterkyo" post="11845918" timestamp="1402892192"]Wii Pro or Wii U Pro Control work great. No need GC controller for this game ;)[/quote]

Sure, unless you're running a tournament and want to avoid connection problems. Wired is the only way to go in that case, and the last wired controller Nintendo designed was the GC one. Easier to make an adapter for the controller that everyone already has/prefers than to make a whole new model.

I'm grabbing the adapter and the themed GC style Classic Controllers. Smash launch is going to be expensive as fuck for me.

Please N.... Please.... Release a wii u bundle without the gamepad and include 4 cube controllers and smash bros. 249.99 or less. I actually have 4 pristine gcn controllers I nabbed from a garage sale last week for 10.00. So all I need is a wii u and the game..... its going to be tough for this game to be better than melee. Still my all time fav. Just got done playing!

Please N.... Please.... Release a wii u bundle without the gamepad and include 4 cube controllers and smash bros. 249.99 or less. I actually have 4 pristine gcn controllers I nabbed from a garage sale last week for 10.00. So all I need is a wii u and the game..... its going to be tough for this game to be better than melee. Still my all time fav. Just got done playing!
Uh.. lol. They will never release a Wii U without the game pad.

Although that may boost sales given how expensive the gamepad costs to manufacture.

Don't get me wrong I'm not one of those haters towards the system and the gamepad, but the fact is we're nearly 2 years into the systems life cycle and I still haven't seen a game that actually takes advantage of it in a unique way. Nintendo recently said they want to prove the value of the gamepad but all I see is games using it as a mini-map, and that's not at all worth it.

Although that may boost sales given how expensive the gamepad costs to manufacture.

Don't get me wrong I'm not one of those haters towards the system and the gamepad, but the fact is we're nearly 2 years into the systems life cycle and I still haven't seen a game that actually takes advantage of it in a unique way. Nintendo recently said they want to prove the value of the gamepad but all I see is games using it as a mini-map, and that's not at all worth it.
Play The Wonderful 101...

Wii Pro or Wii U Pro Control work great. No need GC controller for this game ;)
I'm sure that I would get used to it quickly, but I really had trouble with the controls at the Smash Fest demo this weekend. I'm used to the large A attack button in the center and the X jump button being more to the side. There were several times that I attacked when I meant to jump and then had to deliberately think about how to make myself jump properly. I've got one Wii Classic controller and one Wii U Pro Controller, but I think it's going to be worth my money to spend the $20 on an adapter for the 4 or 5 Gamecube controllers that I have.

Edit: Then again, by the time the Wii U version comes out, I will probably have gotten used to the 3ds control scheme, which would improve my Pro Controller abilities. So, we'll see.

as someone who will own a wii u within the next 24 hours or so i totally agree with you as not even nintendo devs have found good uses for it. while tv out is a nice feature i have my own tv so its only usefull if i want to lay on my bed and play. besides that the screen has been nothing but a map/inventory screen during gameplay which has always been accessed with a push of a button. hope nintendo geys the ball rolling in the game pad department

The gamepad screen was great in Game & Wario and Nintendo Land.  Sonic racing was also cool to have the fifth player on.  Marvel Super Heroes let you play on the gamepad while coop partner played on the TV.  Wonderful 101 was great with the gamepad.  Pikmin had an update to let you use the gamepad as primary control and it's very good.  Just some small examples.

As stated before, I really hope this pops up on BB's site. I don't think it's to great of a deal on it's own, but if i can combine it with my 20% (and possibly a certificate if they decide to add one) then it would be a pretty sick deal.

bread's done
Back