Steam Summer Sale 2014 [Canadian Edition]

VetraX

CAGiversary!
SSSDD01_zpsd839ae30.png

Kinda meh opening daily. Flash is better at the moment: Hotline Miami @ $1.49 and Mirror's Edge @ $4.99

Kind of tempted to get Dead Rising 3 at that price, but I fear Green Man Gaming might beat that price.

Also Dark Souls 2 is just over $30 right now, but probably best to wait until it's featured on the store page at a larger discount.

With other competitors like GMG, G2Play and GetGamesGo, Steam's recent sales have been very disappointing. It's only really good if you want the games IMMEDIATELY or if they are Ubisoft/Telltale games, since they do not allow other sellers to sell Steam keys for their games.

Always wait for a Daily / Flash sale on a game. If find something like Dark Souls 2 never goes lower, just buy it the last day of the sale. Why throw away money to have the game you've already been waiting on a few days later?

And yes, pretty meh sale thus far. Opinions on Divinity seem very divided. People either love it, or thing it's another Early Access pile of rubbish. The developer walkthrough on Twitch yesterday made the creation tools look lovely.. a lite-solid modeling program, even, but I'm not sure for that price. Speaking of Early Access, don't buy DayZ unless you really just have money to burn. It's a broken mess of a game, and you best have a few friends to play with at least if you want any enjoyment out of it.

Need to get a $50 steam card from eb games... but when I was talking to my brother about it, he said that eb games now charge tax on top of the steam card. Does anyone know if this is true?

Need to get a $50 steam card from eb games... but when I was talking to my brother about it, he said that eb games now charge tax on top of the steam card. Does anyone know if this is true?
This is true. I bought 2x $50 yesterday at EB. I live in Alberta, so it came to $110. That said, it's redeemed on Steam as USD. I'm not sure how much you're saving if you choose to use your credit card instead. I know when I bought SSFIV:AE last month, my credit card charged me in USD so I obviously had to pay a bit more - I believe 8% as the CAD was at $0.92.

This is true. I bought 2x $50 yesterday at EB. I live in Alberta, so it came to $110. That said, it's redeemed on Steam as USD. I'm not sure how much you're saving if you choose to use your credit card instead. I know when I bought SSFIV:AE last month, my credit card charged me in USD so I obviously had to pay a bit more - I believe 8% as the CAD was at $0.92.
Oh damn. should've stalked up before then. Well in that case I don't see why I should go out of my way to get the steam cards again.

SSSDD02_zps5b4ca1dc.png

Amnesia, The Walking Dead, and State of Decay are the highlights for today. I heard Game Dev Tycoon was alright.

Community`s choice is good right now, mainly because Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is 75% off at $3.74.

maybe you might help me with this question. or someone else here. I am going to the States next week and i was wondering. if i bought Steam Cards there ( USA ) and put them on my account ( Canadian ) . can i be charged Tax ? or Conversion Rates ? or do i just get games for actual price that is listed on site. that's why i hate buying on steam cause of the conversion ( at least i am positive were not charged tax on our end, i hear it was just the state of washington that is charged taxes but no where in Canada **maybe except Quebec which i don't live in ** I just wanna be charged prices like PSN charges me the number that is mentioned and nothing more. )

SSSDD03_zps058df6db.png

Skyrim didn't hit daily until the last couple days last year... $4.99 for the base game, and $13.59 for the Legendary Edition which includes all DLC.

DuckTales: Remastered is currently on flash for $5.09, while Papers, Please is on community choice for $2.99.

Rocksmith 2014 hitting $14.99 is a pretty sweet spot as well. The lowest it had been prior to this is $35.99. Of course, you still need to invest in the $29.99 tone cable, but it's a price I can live with now. 

SSSDD04_zps64c98c36.png

Solid daily, especially considering the amount of DLC Borderlands 2 has. If you haven't given either a try, I highly recommend Outlast and The Wolf Among Us. Tomb Raider is also worth a look at $4.99.

Sleeping Dogs is $3.99 in flash. Metro: Last Light, Lone Survivor, Slender, and Betrayer are all reasonably priced in community's choice at the moment.

It would be doubly beneficial for you all to cruise the Steam Buy/Sell/Trade thread because a lot of the deals you are looking at people are selling at US sale prices which should be slightly less than what you all are seeing.  Feasibly if the game is ROW then you shouldn't have an issue.  Unless you all know something about Canadian region restrictions that I don't.  Thread is here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/327125-steamorigindesura-etc-buyselltrade-thread/page-84

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be doubly beneficial for you all to cruise the Steam Buy/Sell/Trade thread because a lot of the deals you are looking at people are selling at US sale prices which should be slightly less than what you all are seeing. Feasibly if the game is ROW then you shouldn't have an issue. Unless you all know something about Canadian region restrictions that I don't. Thread is here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/327125-steamorigindesura-etc-buyselltrade-thread/page-84
Thanks... Seems interesting, except it's a bit of extra work. And not all games have packs.

does anyone know is Steam Cards bought in the States will work on Canadian Accounts ? so i can avoid paying taxes on cards up here.

SSSDD05_zps45d4bedf.png

Awesomenauts is a dollar on flash, and Castle Crashers is a buck fiddy on community choice.

Reminder: Dark Souls still uses GFWL and not Steamworks to save game files. GFWL is supposed to end on July 1st, but whether that happens or not... either way, you should know.

SSSDD06_zpsf55d9a41.png

If you want to play Diablo III, then buy Diablo III - but if you're short on cash, then you should get Torchlight II instead. It's just as good. Brothers is a really great game, but requires a gamepad/controller. Metro: Last Light is good, too, but isn't optimized well, so expect to have your GPU run hot.

SSSDD07_zpsf80bd00c.png

Get Batman: Arkham Origins... or buy Bioshock Infinite again... wish Banner Saga and Child of Light were discounted more.

They Bleed Pixels is $1.99 in community choice.

Just as a side note for those who haven't noticed, but if a game in a franchise is on sale, all the other games in the same franchise get heavily discounted too. For example, all the Assassin's Creed games are on sale today, not just Black Flag.

Just as a side note for those who haven't noticed, but if a game in a franchise is on sale, all the other games in the same franchise get heavily discounted too. For example, all the Assassin's Creed games are on sale today, not just Black Flag.
This.

In any case...

SSSDD08_zpscd4aba83.png

Meh.

SSSDD09_zpsb6af650b.png

As good a time as any to pick up GTAIV if you haven't played it before. Alan Wake collection is $5.99, aswell, in flash. Don't get Payday 2 unless you have buddies to play it with. Trasnsistor is a fantastic game well worth any asking price, IMO, but if you're looking to seriously save, then wait until the Fall/Winter sale. System Shock 2 is only a $1.49 in community choice.

SSSDD10_zpse5629fb9.png

Thief and Wolfenstein will be much cheaper in Fall/Winter sales. Good prices for Shadowrun and Chivalry. Max Payne 3 is $4.99 in flash, and Cloudbuilt is 85% off in community's choice.

bread's done
Back