* * * * - 29 votes

PSN Weekly Deals - 12/16: Holiday Sale Wk 3 ($6 Terraria PS4/Vita, $3 Hotline Miami, $7.49 Child of Light, $8 Last Tinker, $9 Pier Solar)

#1291 laundrymatt  

laundrymatt

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:27 AM

Settled on Jak and Daxter which I already regret. I played it back in PS2 but don't really remember it all that clearly but this vita port definitely doesn't do it justice.

Throw some Mutant Space Blobs in there. Short 3 to 10 minute levels of fun.

#1292 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36991 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

anyone play xblaze code and have opinions? good story? cant find a single review x.x

Did you try the demo? It's a pretty good indicator of what to expect.

MGS2 HD Update: Now at 92.5% VR completion, with the Weapon and Sneaking missions for MGS1 Snake done. I am most certainly not looking forward to doing the rest...

#1293 Cleaner7   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3351 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:52 AM

Ever since downloading most of my PS+ Vita games this past month I've been putting in a good amount of time into it. I just ordered a 64GB card online too.

Lately I've been rotating between Spelunky (finally made it to Olmec and died), Mutant Blobs Attack, Mutant Mudds and PixelJunk Shooter. I'm really loving all of those and enjoy playing in short bursts during lunch. I started Dragon Fantasy Book I and got tired of it quickly. I may go back, but I hate grindfests.

#1294 The Furry Panda   Bravest Warrior CAGiversary!   1833 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

The Furry Panda

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:52 AM

nope. I have a review copy and was hoping someone would kno how long it was/how much it might keep my intrest.

#1295 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4642 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

lol this place ought to be called cheapasscollector.com

honestly wat are people's backlog of games up to now?  especially PSN plus subscribers and their "free" games

Oh, first world problems!

my ps1, ps2, ps3, psp, vita, and steam backlogs are all oppressive.   I don't even know how many games i got during the gamesharing heyday that i've never even booted up.  

Hell, I even have a ps4 backlog at this point due to ps+.   In theory, I wouldn't need to buy a game ever, but that's never how it works.   It's like a netflix subscription -- even if you're getting 3 discs at a time, the likelihood you want to watch whatever you have at home is near zero.

That's the impression I'm getting from what I've read.

My first...

My first was actually a Casio gaming calculator.    All I remember about it was that it could play 'When the Saints go Marching Home' and that it had some sort of Space Invaders game... i think numbers fell left across the single line output screen and you had to hit the numbers before they got there. or something?   

And now kids complain because there's an extra jaggy while playing games on their vita.  

Back in my day, games screeched annoying noises at you (astrosmash, anyone?) the entire time and you liked it. 

OK my list of what game to start next is the following:

Jak and Daxter

Disgaea 3

Sly Cooper 4

Terraria

Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together

MLB 14

Machinarium
Mutant Blobs Attack
Dokuro
Growlanser Wayfarer of Time
Class of Heroes

Probably a couple other options I'm overlooking.

you really can't go too wrong with any of those.

If it were me?   Mutant Blobs if i was in the mood for easy fun.  Tactics Ogre if I wanted something deep.   Disgaea 3 if i wanted something that straddled the line between challenging and mindless (ie, zoned out strategic grinding).   And class of Heroes if i wanted a dungeon crawler.

#1296 Komentra   (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ CAGiversary!   2908 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:00 AM

Ever since downloading most of my PS+ Vita games this past month I've been putting in a good amount of time into it. I just ordered a 64GB card online too.

Lately I've been rotating between Spelunky (finally made it to Olmec and died), Mutant Blobs Attack, Mutant Mudds and PixelJunk Shooter. I'm really loving all of those and enjoy playing in short bursts during lunch. I started Dragon Fantasy Book I and got tired of it quickly. I may go back, but I hate grindfests.

I've put countless hours into Spelunky and have only got to him once and died a painful death.
But I still keep trying....

#1297 stupidproz1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2508 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

stupidproz1

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

I've put countless hours into Spelunky and have only got to him once and died a painful death.

I played Spelunky for around 7 hours. Didn't like how my progression felt (I felt like I was only getting so far everytime.) I didn't watch any Let's Plays or look anything up until after I had quit. They were doing some high level crap like killing every shop keeper and waiting for the ghost to run over treasure to turn into diamonds and all this crap I would never think of.

On the flip side games like Binding of Issac, Rogue Legacy, FTL and Super Meat Boy I put over 1,000 hours into. Without looking anything up I progressed pretty quickly through those games and it always felt like I was learning new stuff.

Don't know what it is about Spelunky but I think if I didn't look anything up (which I try to avoid doing at all costs) I could probably play that game for 20 more hours and it wouldn't make much difference.

#1298 Cleaner7   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3351 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

For the longest time I thought I'd never make it out of the Mines. Then one day I did and died quickly in the Jungle. Eventually I unlocked a shortcut and made it a little further. I've been chipping away at it.

I haven't unlocked a shortcut to the Ice Caves yet since Tunnelman wants a key from the Mines so basically make it through 12 levels with no shortcuts. I almost did it one time. I'm just trying to beat the game at least once and I'll feel happy.

After dying at Olmec I finally looked up a guide. They didn't reveal everything but from what I've seen there are so many secrets and a lot of depth beyond what I have experienced. I was just surprised finding the Black Market. Right now I'm watching a guy play it on Twitch and he visited a City of Gold. Pretty cool.

#1299 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4642 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

Resogun DLC is delicious.  I bought the season pass for 8 bucks or so.

One of the new game modes is called 'demolition'.  It's... amazing.  It could (with work, more content, etc) be the starting concept for a standalone game -- as it is, it's almost it's own, new, genre (sort of a sidescrolling breakout/pong game).

You are a ship, and all you can do is set off a pulse bomb.  There is (to start) a single wrecking ball on screen, and blocks.   Your bomb blast radius serves as the propulsion mechanism for the ball... you send it skittering around the screen.   Eventually, new waves zone in -- blocks, enemies, madness.   Extra balls and multiball madness await for everyone but Jay...   and when you hit pulse, time slows so you can fine tune the trajectory of any nearby balls (you see lines allowing you to easily fine tune).

And due to the awesome wraparound screen Resogun employs, you can see your ball(s) wreaking havoc, destroying everything in their path, as they wrap around the screen back at you, just as you're charged up to set off another pulse.

It's a fantastic new game mode.   Currently only have around 8+million, but the pyrotechnic visuals were waking up everyone so I had to shutdown. 

Next up, I need to make my cat as a ship.  He's dominated such games as 3d dot heroes and tearaway already, but he's always wanted to be a spaceship.

Resogun continues to be my favorite game of this new gen so far.   Though I really want to give Wolfenstein a try.

--------------------

Speaking Of Wolfenstein --- Does anyone know of any games similar to the OLD school wolfenstein / beyond castle wolfensteins?   I'm talking from the 80's, the 2d ones where you have stealth, very limited ammo, disguises, etc...  I used to play both of them all the time (another game with horrific sound effects -- in this case, when you touch a wall) and want to re-experience it... but not via an apple II+ emulator... i want a more modern rendition.   I tried googling to see if i could find anything but the wolfenstein brand is so populated at this point it's hard to get a straight answer.

#1300 affa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4642 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

Does terreria get better?  I don't get it.   It feels like a terrible platformer and I can barely even kill those stupid hopping slimes because of the platforming/weapon mechanics.  I know people love this game, but all it does is make me ugh more than even spelunky did.   and it's also scaring me away from trying minecraft since i heard they're similar.

#1301 CAiNiAC   ~Baby got Backlog~ CAGiversary!   5064 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Does terreria get better?  I don't get it.   It feels like a terrible platformer and I can barely even kill those stupid hopping slimes because of the platforming/weapon mechanics.  I know people love this game, but all it does is make me ugh more than even spelunky did.   and it's also scaring me away from trying minecraft since i heard they're similar.

Dont let it frighten you off from Minecraft. They have similarities that make for an easy comparison in certain regards, but they feel very much two different experiences to me and I love Minecraft while caring nothing for Terraria.

Terreria is very much more combat focused than Minecraft and I agree that its controls feel sloppy and make it feel more of a chore than a game. With Minecraft exploration takes the spotlight, I could literally excavate and explore the underground forts and mines forever. Couple that with the freedom to literally build anything you can imagine and it gets very addicting very fast. Deceptively so when you're on the outside looking in. If you jump into it at some point and want someone to show you the ropes give me a holla.

#1302 Thermopyle  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

Jak and Daxter

Disgaea 3

Sly Cooper 4

Terraria

MLB 14

Machinarium
Mutant Blobs Attack
Dokuro
Class of Heroes

I'd definitely recommend TO over Disgaea 3 if you're looking to play an sRPG. D3 has some really poor, gimmicky map designs in the campaign and the skill leveling system is also really annoying compared to the original. The story is crap as well. TO is much more serious (same team as FFT--it's the project they did right before that), though, so that's something to be aware of as well.

#1303 simmias   Likely to be eaten by a grue CAGiversary!   4708 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Speaking Of Wolfenstein --- Does anyone know of any games similar to the OLD school wolfenstein / beyond castle wolfensteins?   I'm talking from the 80's, the 2d ones where you have stealth, very limited ammo, disguises, etc...  I used to play both of them all the time (another game with horrific sound effects -- in this case, when you touch a wall) and want to re-experience it... but not via an apple II+ emulator... i want a more modern rendition.   I tried googling to see if i could find anything but the wolfenstein brand is so populated at this point it's hard to get a straight answer.

Ha, I used to play the hell out of that.  I always hated those damn relentless SS who could see through your disguises and you pretty much had to waste a grenade on them.

But nah, if you want that old school game experience, I think you've got to get an emulator and play that old school game. :)  I can't think of anything similar.

#1304 Thermopyle  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

Jeanne D'Arc and Gran Turismo are both now available directly via the Vita PSN store. No more PS3 transfer required.

http://imgur.com/lIHSvlg,sFKFfqW

Edit: So people on Reddit are saying that even though it's available to buy, it still can't be downloaded on Vita. That's hilarious. 

#1305 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29326 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

Jeanne D'Arc and Gran Turismo are both now available directly via the Vita PSN store. No more PS3 transfer required.

Edit: So people on Reddit are saying that even though it's availablpe to buy, it still can't be downloaded on Vita. That's hilarious. 

pretty sure it was alwasys on  PSP and  PS3  it was just never on VITA

#1306 Thermopyle  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

pretty sure it was alwasys on  PSP and  PS3  it was just never on VITA

The change here is that the Vita store says you can buy it now, which is new. Of course it's also misleading since it implies you can play them as well, which doesn't appear to be the case.

#1307 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36695 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:45 PM

The change here is that the Vita store says you can buy it now, which is new. Of course it's also misleading since it implies you can play them as well, which doesn't appear to be the case.

WTF Sony.  I'm sure that either way Sony would realize someone leaned on the switch and flip it back in a day or two.

#1308 ProfessorStotch   Banned Banned   13654 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:54 PM

MGS2 HD Update: Now at 92.5% VR completion, with the Weapon and Sneaking missions for MGS1 Snake done. I am most certainly not looking forward to doing the rest...

Did you already do that hard sniper rifle mission? One where you have to protect a girl or a box or something? If so, that's the hardest one and took me a few tries. Are you playing on Vita or PS3? I was lucky to have both, as some missions are easier on PS3, like that sniper one.

#1309 Yanksfan   Cubs Fan Too :( CAGiversary!   5389 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

Edit: So people on Reddit are saying that even though it's available to buy, it still can't be downloaded on Vita. That's hilarious. 

WTH, it is humorous that they mess this up numerous times. The games are playable, people want to give them money for them, yet they create all these barriers.

It doesn't affect me too much, as I still have my PSP Go, which I prefer to use for the older games anyhow. But I feel for those that want to use their Vita, know it is possible, but still can't.

#1310 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36695 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

WTH, it is humorous that they mess this up numerous times. The games are playable, people want to give them money for them, yet they create all these barriers.

It doesn't affect me too much, as I still have my PSP Go, which I prefer to use for the older games anyhow. But I feel for those that want to use their Vita, know it is possible, but still can't.

What's sadly humorous to me is that they'll take people's money when they screw up and then they flip the switch back and keep your money and the game.

#1311 Yanksfan   Cubs Fan Too :( CAGiversary!   5389 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

Jak and Daxter

Disgaea 3

Sly Cooper 4

Terraria

MLB 14

Machinarium
Mutant Blobs Attack
Dokuro
Class of Heroes

Easy. Alternate between MLB 14 (enjoy it while its relevant, also a good one to come and go from) and Tactics Ogre. You're getting to enjoy two games that are at the top of their respective genres.

What's sadly humorous to me is that they'll take people's money when they screw up and then they flip the switch back and keep your money and the game.

They better offer refunds to anyone that purchased it through the Vita store. That would be terrible.

Spoiler

#1312 CAiNiAC   ~Baby got Backlog~ CAGiversary!   5064 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:29 PM

No refund necessary unless you don't own a PS3. Just need to transfer it through the PS3.

#1313 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   68496 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

Settled on Jak and Daxter which I already regret. I played it back in PS2 but don't really remember it all that clearly but this vita port definitely doesn't do it justice.

Those were all Vita games? I would not have suggested Sly Cooper or Jak & Daxter in that case. They're best on PS3.

#1314 simmias   Likely to be eaten by a grue CAGiversary!   4708 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Cap and Velo, I'll just leave this right here:

2yukpk4.jpg

#1315 Blabadon   I just like video games CAGiversary!   2276 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

Neeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrd

#1316 Yanksfan   Cubs Fan Too :( CAGiversary!   5389 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:09 PM

No refund necessary unless you don't own a PS3. Just need to transfer it through the PS3.

Yea, but that shouldn't be the expectation for anything purchased from the Vita store. I could see why people would want a refund, even if they have a PS3.

2yukpk4.jpg

Nicely done. I am surprised that almost 10% of the people that have played it have gotten the plat.

#1317 simmias   Likely to be eaten by a grue CAGiversary!   4708 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

Nicely done. I am surprised that almost 10% of the people that have played it have gotten the plat.

Thanks!  It's 10% of the PSNProfiles users who got the plat, but my PS4 says only 2.4% have the plat overall.  It's those damn trophy hunters skewing the score on PSNP :)

#1318 ProfessorStotch   Banned Banned   13654 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

2yukpk4.jpg

What was the final time? I doubt I'll beat it, but just curious anyway.

#1319 simmias   Likely to be eaten by a grue CAGiversary!   4708 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

85 hours, but I could have done it in 70 or 75 if I hadn't maxed guns, levels and a couple other things.

#1320 ProfessorStotch   Banned Banned   13654 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

ProfessorStotch

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:54 PM

Well I meant on PSNP, time from first trophy to last.