Apple iOS (iPhone, iPod, iPad) -- Ongoing Sales

ryanflucas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
This is a continuation of the previous thread which was getting crowded.​
Post any deals you find, recommendations, requests for deals, etc. Please keep things as civil as possible. There's no such thing as a bad deal post and reviews are opinions.
Code drops are allowed in this thread. I just ask that you state that you have a code available and let the interested parties send you a pm to obtain it. :)
If you have code drops, please post them in here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307085
Here are some helpful resources as well as a short FAQ file:

Game Review & Deal Sites

If you want to check out a particular game, try the following review sites, or ask in here so fellow CAG's can assist you.

Price Tracking Sites

148 Apps
App Shopper iOS / App Shopper Mac
Free App Alert
Touch Arcade
Free App A Day

App & Game Review Sites

IGN Wireless
MacLife iPad
MacLife iPod/iPhone
Slide to Play
Touch Arcade
Touch Gen
TUAW Games

Free App Offers:
• Crate and Barrel is currently giving away a variety of apps, music, and books for free. Some apps of note are ones found on the recommended list. For more information check out the following link:
Get The Download by Crate and Barrel
• Starbucks offers an app, song, and book of the week. These apps, songs, and books can be picked up in stores. They're little cards with a code on them that you redeem in iTunes on either your Mac/PC or iPhone/iPad/iPod. Starbucks has a website where they'll occasionally offer these apps, songs and books online as well via a link, meaning you don't even need to go to one of their stores to get these apps, songs, and books. For more information check out the following link:
iOS Pick of the Week by Starbucks

Free App offers from Developers
• Get a free copy of the Number Fill app for iOS by sending an email to [email protected] /* */ with subject "iOSApp:" (while supplies last).

YouTube Video Reviews

iPad Game Reviews
iPhone\iPod Touch Game Reviews

Apple Game Center

Apple Game Center allows you to keep a friends list, track your in game achievements, and compare with your friends. Many games support this.

Make sure to checkout the official CAG Game Center Exchange Thread. You can post your game center name and see the names of your favorite CAG'rs.

General iOS FAQ

1. Make sure to check for periodic updates either in iTunes or on your iOS devices. For each release of new firmware, there's usually a bunch of games updated right afterward.

2. Some applications also go on sale by their authors when they reach 1 million download and similar milestones.

3. Apps often have specials the day before, during, and after holidays, regardless if said game/app is related to the holiday. Most notably is the fact that many developers discount their apps for Christmas and because Apple employees, in charge of App Store changes, take a break during the week of Christmas these discounts usually last until the new year.

4. Newly released apps will often have a % or dollar amount off for a limited period of time to gain a large following quicker. While browsing the app store you can go to a particular type or genre and order according to release date. This can make finding new app discounts faster.

5. Apps can be re-downloaded from your iOS device. To do this open the App Store and look for a tab called "Purchased". From here you can re-download any previously purchased apps.

6. I strongly advise not to buy iTunes Gift Cards by 3rd parties unless you know they can be trusted. Retail stores and receiving cards as gifts are the best ways. There are many credit card scams, stolen cards, hacked cards going around, especially on Ebay.

7. If you are the victim of a iTunes Card scam or get your account locked due to one not all hope is lost. Apple has been fairly lenient on these issues. Call Apple directly at 1-800-MY-APPLE or check the iTunes Store support page. Also going to your local Apple Store to discuss it can help. The account locking is an automated process and can be reversed. This can take time so be cautious if you use gift cards from 3rd party sources.

8. If you somehow break your iOS device, you have some options. If you bought the Applecare warranty it should be covered for most items. If your Applecare ran out or you don't have one, try using one of the repair guides on iFixit to repair it yourself. Apple Stores have been known to give discounts if you bring in a iOS device that they will not fix since it's not in warranty. This discount however is very small.

9. Using a screen protector can extend the life of your device. Most stores carry these, but they can be hard to install. The best I have personally used are made by a company called Power Support. They have both clear and anti-glare protectors. They are easier to install because the protector is a firm yet thin piece of plastic. Griffin Technologies and Zagg are also very good.

10. Universal Apps have a small plus sign in the upper left corner next to their price. They can be played natively on both the iPad and iPod/iPhone. iPhone games that are not universal can still be played on the iPad with a lower resolution. Non universal iPad games cannot be played on the iPhone.

Games by Genre as Recommended by Fellow CAGs

Feel free to add games, genres or move titles as needed. This list is to give CAGs a chance to catch up on high-quality games they may have missed and to get new users started on "can't miss" titles to download for their new iDevice.

Green titles are universal (ipad and iphone/ipod touch).
Italic are iPad only.
^ are retina optimized for the iPad.
* are iPhone 5/5th gen iPod Touch optimized.
~ (symbol beside the "1" on standard US keyboards) are iPhone 6/6+ optimized. Note that apps that are iPhone 6/6+ optimized are by default iPhone 5/5th gen iPod Touch optimized.
Some game developers/companies like to offer free versions which are usually demos of the full version and a great way to check out and determine if you will actually like a particular game without paying anything. These demos are noted as such. Some game developers/companies like Zynga, however, like to offer free, AD-Supported, versions of their games which means you get the full game, but it features ads and by buying the paid version you remove those ads. AD-Supported games are noted as such.

Casual
Tiny Wings* (iPad Version^),
Angry Birds* (Free Demo*) ((iPad Version^) (Free iPad Demo^)), Seasons* (Free Demo) ((iPad Version) (Free iPad Demo)), Rio* (iPad Version), Space* (Free Demo*) ((iPad Version^) (Free iPad Demo^)), Star Wars* (Free Demo*) ((iPad Version^) (Free iPad Version^)), Star Wars II^*, Epic^*, Stella^*, Transformers^~,
Bad Piggies* (Free Demo*) ((iPad Version) (Free iPad Demo^)),
Doodle Jump* (Free Demo*) ((iPad Version^) (Free iPad Demo^)),
Fruit Ninja^* (Free Demo^*),
Cut the Rope* (Free Demo*) ((iPad Version^) (Free iPad Demo^)), Experiments* (Free Demo*) ((iPad Version^) (Free iPad Demo^)), Time Travel* (iPad Version^),
World of Goo* (iPad Version^*),
Osmos* (iPad Version^),
Flight Control (Free Demo) (iPad Version),
Flight Control Rocket^,
Spy Mouse (iPad Version^),
Where's My Water^* (Free Demo^*),
Where's My Perry^* (Free Demo^*),
Where's My Mickey?* (iPad Version^) (Free Demo^*),
Where's My Water? 2^*,
Stay Alight!* (iPad Version^),
Let's Create Pottery HD^* (Free Demo^*),
Omicron* (iPad Version^),
Bejeweled* (iPad Version^),
Bejeweled Blitz^*,
Tetris~ (iPad Version^),
Tetris Blitz^*,
Flappy Golf^*

Shooter
Tilt to Live* (Free Demo) (iPad Version^),
Galaxy on Fire 2^*,
Espgaluda II* (Free Demo*) ((iPad Version^*) (Free iPad Demo^*)),
Dodonpachi Resurrection* (Free Demo*) ((iPad Version^*) (Free iPad Demo^*)),
Radiant~ (iPad Version^),
MetalStorm: Online^*

F/TPS/Action
Republique^~
Shadowgun^*,
Shadowgun: DeadZone^*,
N.O.V.A. (iPad Version),
N.O.V.A. 2 (iPad Version),
Infinity Blade,
Infinity Blade II^*,
Infinity Blade III^*
Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus (iPad Version),
Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation^,
Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour^*,
Modern Combat 5: Blackout^~,
Dead Space* (iPad Version),
Grand Theft Auto III^*,
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City^*,
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas^~,
Doom Classic^*

Dual-Stick Shooter
Age of Zombies^* (Free Demo^*),
Minigore (iPad Version),
Minigore 2: Zombies^*,
Solomon's Keep,
Solomon's Boneyard

Action/Arcade
Super Mega Worm^* (Free Demo^*),
Zombie Highway^*,
Zombie Highway^~,
Pac-Man Championship Edition,
Plunderland^*,
Anodia^~ (Free Demo^~),
Super Hexagon*

Adventure
Super Brothers: Sword & Sworcery EP^*,
Broken Sword: Director's Cut^*, Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror Remastered^*,
Broken Sword - The Smoking Mirror Remastered^*,
Back to the Future: The Game^*,
Back to the Future Ep 2 HD,
Back to the Future Ep 3 HD,
Back to the Future Ep 4 HD,
Back to the Future Ep 5 HD,
Minecraft - Pocket Edition^~,
Swordigo^*

Platformer
League of Evil^*, League of Evil 2^*, League of Evil 3^*
Kami Retro* (iPad Version^),
Soosiz (iPad Version),
Frogatto,
Perfect Cell^* (Free Demo^*),
Beyond Ynth* (iPad Version^),
Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor* (iPad Version^),
EDGE^*,
EDGE Extended^*,
Rayman Jungle Run^*,
Machinarium* (iPad Version^*),
Cavorite^*, Cavorite 2^*, Cavorite 3^*,
Badland^~,
Sonic The Hedgehog^*,
Sonic The Hedgehog 2^*,
Sonic CD^*

Endless Runner
Robot Unicorn Attack^*, Robot Unicorn Attack: Christmas Edition^*, Robot Unicorn Attack: Heavy Metal Edition^*, Robot Unicorn Attack 2^*,
Temple Run^*,
Temple Run: Brave^*,
Jetpack Joyride^*,
Temple Run 2^*,
Temple Run: Oz^*,
Octagon^*

Tower Defense
Plants vs. Zombies* (iPad Version^),
Plants vs. Zombies 2^~,
The Creeps!* (iPad Version^),
Epic War TD Pro* (iPad Version^),
Sentinel Mars Defense,
Sentinel Earth Defense,
Sentinel Homeworld^,
Sentinel 4: Dark Star^~
Guns'n'Glory^ (Free Ad-Supported Version^),
Anomaly Korea^*

RPG
Ash II: Shadows^,
Zenonia,
Zenonia 2,
Zenonia 3,
Battleheart^*,
Chaos Rings* (iPad Version),
Secret of Mana* (yes, that Secret of Mana :D),
Avadon^,
Avernum^,
The Bard's Tale^~,
Baulder's Gate: Enhanced Edition^*,
Baulder's Gate II^,
Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition^*

Puzzle
Threes!^*,
Monument Valley^~,
Device 6^*,
TwoDots^*,
Paperama^~,
Blek^*,
The Room Pocket* (iPad Version^),
The Room 2^*,
War7*,
Rail Maze Pro (Free Demo) (iPad Version^),
Heroes of Kalevala* (iPad Version^),
Circadia^*,
Flow Free^*,
Flow Free: Bridges^*,
Labyrinth^* (Free Demo^*),
Labyrinth 2* (Free Demo*) ((iPad Version^) (Free iPad Demo^)),
LightUp^,
Pathlink - Sudoku Style Logic Game^*,
Numberlink^*,
Mathdoku Pro^*,
Conceptis Fill-a-Pix^*,
Conceptis Hashi^*,
Conceptis Link-a-Pix^*,
Conceptis Nurikabe^*,
Conceptis Pic-a-Pix^*,
Conceptis Slitherlink^*,
Conceptis Sudoku^*,
Conceptis Tic-Tac-Logic^*,
Blendoku^*,
Block Block Block^*,
Gesundheit!* (iPad Version^),
Huebrix^*

Card/Dice
Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer^*,
Phase 10^* (Free Demo^*),
Card Shark Collection (Deluxe)^*,
Dice With Buddies^* (Free, Ad-Supported Version^*),
Fairway Solitaire* (iPad Version^)),
▻Solitaire +^~ (Free, Ad-Supported Version^~),
▻Freecell Solitaire+^* (Free, Ad-Supported Version^*),
▻Spider Solitaire +^* (Free, Ad-Supported Version^*),
Magic: The Gathering 2015^,
Solitaire Blitz^*

Sim
Game Dev Story,
Hot Springs Story,
Mega Mall Story,
The Sims™ FreePlay^*,
Yoot Tower (Think Sim Tower!),
Transport Tycoon^~ (Yes, THAT Transport Tycoon made by Chris Sawyer)

Strategy
Starbase Orion^*,
Majesty^* (Free Demo^*),
Civilization Revolution* (Free Demo*) (iPad Version^),
Civilization Revolution 2^*
Legendary Wars* (iPad Version^*),
Slay^* (Free Demo^*),
Battle Fleet^ (Free Demo^),
Plague Inc.^*,
Puzzle Craft^*,
Frozen Synapse^

Sports
Flick Kick Field Goal 2015^~,
Super Stickman Golf^~,
Super Stickman Golf 2*,
True Skate^*

Fighting
Street Fighter IV,
Street Fighter IV Volt,
Street Fighter II Collection,
Street Fighter X Tekken Mobile^,
King of Fighters-i002,
The King of Fighters '98^*

Racing
Real Racing 3^~,
Real Racing 2* (iPad Version^),
Asphalt 6 (iPad Version^),
Asphalt 7: Heat^*,
Asphalt 8: Airborne^~
Need for Speed: Most Wanted^*,
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (iPad Version),
Need for Speed: Shift (iPad Version),
Disc Drivin'* (iPad Version^),
Jet Car Stunts^ (Free Demo^),
Death Rally^*,
Retro Racing^*,
GP Retro^*

TableTop/Board Games
Carcassonne^*,
Catan (iPad Version^),
Scrabble* (iPad Version^),
New Words With Friends^*,
Reiner Knizia's Samurai,
Neuroshima Hex^*,
Puerto Rico HD,
Ticket To Ride: Pocket (iPad Version^ (Which includes the Europe/Switzerland maps (as IAPs) found in the aforementioned Europe Pocket))
Ticket To Ride: Europe Pocket,
Reiner Knizia's Tigris & Euphrates,
Le Havre (The Harbor)^*
Monopoly* (iPad Version^),
Reiner Knizia's Ra^,
Pandemic: The Board Game^,
Small World^,
Edler Sign: Omens* (iPad Version^),
Agricola^*,
Stone Age: The Board Game^*,
Fluxx^*,
Forbidden Island^,
Reiner Knizia's Qin^,
Rivals for Catan^*,
Lost Cities*,
Tanto Cuore^*,
D&D Lords of Waterdeep^*

Word Games
Super Word Finder Attack^*,
Words in Soup^*,
Letterpress^*,
Spelltower^*,
Puzzlejuice^*,
W.E.L.D.E.R.^*,
W.E.L.D.E.R. WARS Free^*
Scramble With Friends*,
Wordament^* (You can earn Xbox Live achievements through this game!),
What's the Phrase^* (Free, Ad-Supported Version^*)

Trivia
MovieCat (iPad Version),
You Don't Know Jack^*

Hidden Object
Little Things,
Pictureka (iPad Version),
Awakening: The Dreamless Castle HD

Non-Game Essentials
Facebook^~,
Twitter^~,
Google+^*,
Gmail^~,
Google Chrome Browser^~,
Google Search^*,
YouTube^*,
Google Maps^*,
Bible^~,
CNN~ (iPad Version^),
Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus* (Free, Ad-Supported Version*) (iPad Version^ (Free, Ad-Supported iPad Version^)),
QR Reader* (iPad Version^),
Shazam~ (iPad Version^),
Speedtest.net Mobile Speed Test*,
Steam Mobile by Valve^* (Yes, THAT Steam, :D),
TV Guide Mobile^~,
CloudReaders^*,
TuneIn Radio Pro^~,
Dropbox^~,
Evernote^~,
Video Stream^*,
VPN Express^~,
Genius Scan^~,
Microsoft Word^~,
Microsoft Excel^~,
Microsoft PowerPoint^~,
Xbox 360 SmartGlass^*,
Xbox One SmartGlass^*

Shopping Essentials
Amazon Mobile^~,
Apple Store~ (iPad Version^),
Best Buy*,
Cartwheel by Target^~,
Disney Store^*,
Fandango^*,
Gamestop Mobile*,
Kmart*,
Kohl's* (iPad Version^),
Live Nation*,
Newegg Mobile* (iPad Version^),
Sears*,
Staples~,
Target~ (iPad Version^),
Toys "R" Us* (iPad Version^),
Walmart - Savings Catcher, Shopping and Pharmacy App* (iPad Version^)

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I love iOS. I really hope the next iPhone steps it up a lot. I really don't want to have to start over again but there are so many features we are missing out on that there just is no excuse for anymore.

Thanks for the refresh, but I think wiki status is broken, :(. I was hoping to add some of the more recent titles to the list, but I guess that won't be happening, :/.

Were Hero of Sparta 1 and 2 removed?  I happened to have 1 saved on my Ipod Touch and finally after years got around to playing it, when I finished I looked for the second one but with no luck.  It seems like every other gameloft game is still available, even most licensed ones that are old, is it just me or any help would be great, are there codes around like with XBLA where I might still be able to play the second one?

Hope it's good, for all our sakes. Not that it's a big memory crunch if it isn't.

Honestly, I found out about it through Wario64's Twitter.

6xY1eRh.png

Rayman Fiesta Run is FREE via the Expedia App. Click on "Trip", and then "Extra" to redeem the game.

Credit goes to nim397 @ SD.

I have 2 Expedia-bought flights upcoming and don't yet own Rayman Fiesta Run. Double win!

It's not on sale or anything, but if you've ever seriously wanted to learn Japanese, the app Human Japanese is awesome. I've been using it daily for almost a year now, after casually toying with it. It's really great. I'm about 15 chapters into the Intermediate sequel and I know an amazing amount, learned the proper way. About 6 months ago, they updated it to add points for correct answers and leveling up. I especially recommend it for iPad.

I got the expedia app for a free rayman. I wonder if they have rotating free apps like the Starbucks app. I've snagged some cool stuff from the Starbucks app

There's no need to download the Expedia app if you want Rayman Fiesta Run.

Just google the "Expedia media lounge" site on your iOS device, scroll down until you see the Rayman icon, click on it and then click download.

That should automatically open the app store and input the game code for you. all you have to do is click redeem. :)

Just google the "Expedia media lounge" site on your iOS device, scroll down until you see the Rayman icon, click on it and then click download.

That should automatically open the app store and input the game code for you. all you have to do is click redeem. :)
Hmm. Just tried that, but nothing seems to happen, though I get a loading icon for a tiny fraction of a second. Maybe my device/OS is too outdated? Though I apparently have the option to buy it in the App store...

Oh, well, no big deal.

[quote name="KHASN" post="11893603" timestamp="1404445837"]There's no need to download the Expedia app if you want Rayman Fiesta Run.

That should automatically open the app store and input the game code for you. all you have to do is click redeem. :)[/quote]

Worked for me. Thanks for the shortcut.

Civ Rev 2 is out on iPad but it's $15 and I'm waiting for reviews before dropping that much.

That being said, I want to put my money where my mouth is with regard to premium games.  I already own xcom for xbox.. how is the iPad version?  At $9.99, worth it?  Fun?

Civ Rev 2 is out on iPad but it's $15 and I'm waiting for reviews before dropping that much.

That being said, I want to put my money where my mouth is with regard to premium games. I already own xcom for xbox.. how is the iPad version? At $9.99, worth it? Fun?
The game is pretty much the same, but the controls/interface are different. I started with the ipad version and then got it on console. It has been a while since I played, but I paid 15$ for it. So, if you really liked it on console, don't think you should expect a huge difference in game play experience on ipad.

Civ Rev 2 is getting destroyed because it didn't improve any of the important items other than graphics from Civ 1.  I'm in a hold pattern on it.  Shame because I LOVE that kind of game.  I downloaded a new Disney game last night "Tsum Tsum".  This game took over in Japan and was huge.  Well over here a single Disney characters is $6 OR you grind the hell out of it.  It's ludicrous.  This F2P thing has going over the deep end.

Civ Rev 2 is getting destroyed because it didn't improve any of the important items other than graphics from Civ 1. I'm in a hold pattern on it. Shame because I LOVE that kind of game. I downloaded a new Disney game last night "Tsum Tsum". This game took over in Japan and was huge. Well over here a single Disney characters is $6 OR you grind the hell out of it. It's ludicrous. This F2P thing has going over the deep end.
That's why we have to support full priced games. If civ rev 2 goes to $9.99 I'll take a chance. For $10 a graphics update to civ rev might be worth it.

Colossatron from a few pages back is a fun spin on tower defense, except you're mobile like Anomaly Warzone Earth. The color combination gameplay is addicting.

Thank you! Note that this can also be done through your PC. I just got the code and didn't use the ipod.

My son will go nuts when he see's this on his ipod tomorrow morning. He really enjoyed the first game.

I'd love XCOM on the go, but I keep reading about it being extremely unreliable on iPad 2s - which is what I have - so I haven't picked it up, even during discounts.

I'd love XCOM on the go, but I keep reading about it being extremely unreliable on iPad 2s - which is what I have - so I haven't picked it up, even during discounts.
When I had a '2', it would start and then inevitably crash after a short period of time once a mission would start. Disappointing, it was.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is out for iOS. It's getting rave reviews. I've always wanted to try a Monster Hunter game, so it's the first iPad game I've spent $15 on.

bread's done
Back