* * * * * 22 votes

Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

#6631 travathian   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1891 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

I don't necessarily think it is a plot to steal the hard work of jshack, but I do feel as though his work may have motivated them to move a bit quicker. As more and more people use a web browser and ES to browse the Steam store, Valve loses more money and so do devs. The more data consumers have to make informed choices, the lower prices they end up paying. Thus Valve has an incentive to improve their client to provide some of the less damning info, and try to keep the user base within the client for purchasing.

#6632 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5347 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

Steam made some changes to F2P games and now they count as games (if you have installed/played even in past).

Some random F2P is now my 1000th game.

#6633 Bruticis   Banned Banned   1558 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

Steam made some changes to F2P games and now they count as games (if you have installed/played even in past).

Drabe is now SAMing every F2P game on Steam.

#6634 Drabelincoln   Do Not + Will Not CAGiversary!   6741 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Drabelincoln

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

Drabe is now SAMing every F2P game on Steam.

So jealous

#6635 jshackles   Enhanced Steam Guy CAGiversary!   1637 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

You're the guy who came up with Enhanced Steam? I can't thank you enough for that, those features are awesome.

Yep, I'm the guy.   :)  Glad you enjoy it and if there is anything you need please let me know.

While ES is certainly fantastic and I can't live without it, it's rather silly to assume Valve is copying features directly from ES. Everything they have added thus far as been logical and requested billions of times, it just so happens that Jshack beat them to the punch. Valve moves slow as hell, we all know this. I doubt this some nefarious plot to steal the hard work of Jshack. Gaben is running out of shit to do and it's time for them to start focusing on the UI and website overhaul that people have been asking for an eternity.

I'm not alleging that they're copying features from Enhanced Steam.  In fact, most of these features exist in Enhanced Steam solely because they make sense on a storefront like Steam.  Almost every feature I code, by the time I'm done I think to myself "Why doesn't Steam already have...?"  Like, "Why doesn't Steam already have an empty cart button?"

This is just the next logical progression of their store, and i totally get that.  Part of the reason people are upset about them "stealing" features (and I got quite a few emails about this since yesterday) is that they feel like Enhanced Steam has kind of been used by Valve as a testing ground for new ideas.

Making features that work in all of Steam's language and country configurations is pretty hard work actually.  When I ship new features, they're going out to millions of people - some of these features work and some don't.  Valve is paying really close attention to the features that work.  One user wrote me and said "They're learning from your successes and failures" and I think that's pretty accurate.

The issue crops up because most companies pay for R&D.

I don't necessarily think it is a plot to steal the hard work of jshack, but I do feel as though his work may have motivated them to move a bit quicker. As more and more people use a web browser and ES to browse the Steam store, Valve loses more money and so do devs. The more data consumers have to make informed choices, the lower prices they end up paying. Thus Valve has an incentive to improve their client to provide some of the less damning info, and try to keep the user base within the client for purchasing.

Also this.  The more useful features they can provide themselves, the less reason people will have to go looking for something like Enhanced Steam.  Since over 1 in 75 Steam users has used Enhanced Steam at some point, they're certainly catching on to stuff like this.  Of course, I've sent them numerous emails explaining that I'm not trying to make them lose money and that if they request that a particular feature be removed all they have to do is ask.

Also, it looks like they're adding a fairly prominent DRM warning to store pages, so they're also taking ideas that benefit the average consumer.

#6636 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

Gaben is running out of shit to do and it's time for them to start focusing on the UI and website overhaul that people have been asking for an eternity.

I kind of wonder what exactly it is that they do sometimes besides sit back and rake in the cash. It's not making games very often. The client gets a ton of updates, though mostly for Linux and Big Picture stuff, so I guess there's that.

But yeah an overhaul of the UI is way overdue and they've put themselves in the position of having to redefine discovery of how and what games a user sees by washing their hands of the whole curation thing.

• hal likes this

#6637 Preedatore   Hamburger Thread CAGiversary!   1533 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

The new Bioware game is PC only. Rejoice?

#6638 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:30 PM

It looks to me kind of like a mash up of The Secret World and Diablo. Apparently, you can sign up for the alpha test.

Also "This game does not require download of the Origin client".

Wait, what?

#6639 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5347 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

It looks to me kind of like a mash up of The Secret World and Diablo. Apparently, you can sign up for the alpha test.

Also "This game does not require download of the Origin client".

Wait, what?

It's browser game.

#6640 travathian   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1891 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

It's a browser GFWL game.

FTFY

#6641 The Sifu   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1653 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hopefully true, but unconfirmed.

Microsoft confirms Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox exclusivity deal "has a duration"

#6642 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14528 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

Gaben is running out of shit to eat and it's time for them to start focusing on the UI and website overhaul that people have been asking for an eternity.

ftfy

#6643 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10973 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

I kind of wonder what exactly it is that they do sometimes besides sit back and rake in the cash.

Design hats.

#6644 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8792 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

Hideo Kojima + Guillermo del Toro = Silent Hills

I hope this one can be at least as good as The Room.  The last few have strayed too far from the course.

I have no problem with Del Toro. I do have a problem with Kojima - he's not a horror / suspense guy.

Oddly, it took a couple of games out of my profile, Rusty Hearts and Spiral Knights aren't listed anymore but Battle for Graxia still is.

#6645 sovereignNX-73811   rolling (over) back in style CAGiversary!   5692 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

Will Bioware ever come with a true sequel to Knights of the Old Republic? I'd go for that, but doubt it since LucasArts is utterly dead. No...*sniffle* Monkey Island either...

#6646 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

I'm just expecting Silent Hills to be Metal Gear with giant robots.

Wait, that's already a thing, hmm...

#6647 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5347 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

So we are going to have fourth walking dead game. this time from Payday 2 creators.

http://overkillsoftware.com/whatsnext/

#6648 greendayrulestce   Gayness rules don't fit CAGiversary!   1186 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

greendayrulestce

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

Oddly, it took a couple of games out of my profile, Rusty Hearts and Spiral Knights aren't listed anymore but Battle for Graxia still is.

No wonder Rusty Hearts went to the top of my account details.

#6649 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8792 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

So we are going to have fourth walking dead game. this time from Payday 2 creators.

Judging from Robert Kirkman's comments... this sounds like it's going to be a Left 4 Dead clone.

#6650 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

Judging from Robert Kirkman's comments... this sounds like it's going to be a Left 4 Dead clone.

Considering Payday was a bit of a L4D clone, that would be the most logical choice for that dev. A completely unexciting one though.

#6651 greendayrulestce   Gayness rules don't fit CAGiversary!   1186 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

greendayrulestce

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

Considering Payday was a bit of a L4D clone, that would be the most logical choice for that dev. A completely unexciting one though.

I for one am up for anything better than Survival Instinct though.

#6652 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8792 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

I always called Payday "Left 4 Theft", eheh.

#6653 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

Daily Deal
Always Sometimes Monsters - $9.99 $4.99

#6654 travathian   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1891 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

Awesome! Can't wait for them to oversell the game before launch, fall short on promises, and release a dozen DLC in the first year.

#6655 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8792 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

Oh did I mention that Konami accidentally leaked Metal Gear Solid V and Ground Zeroes coming to STEAM? I just visited the site and the link is there so... pretty much confirmed?

https://uk.games.konami-europe.com/

(Courtesy of this NeoGAF thread.)

#6656 poxi   something went wrong CAGiversary!   938 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

Oh did I mention that Konami accidentally leaked Metal Gear Solid V and Ground Zeroes coming to STEAM? I just visited the site and the link is there so... pretty much confirmed?

Kinda funny seeing old console franchise coming to PC, like the dev/publisher finally realised the gloriousness of the PC master race, when another old franchise, which was on PC from its beginning, is going to be an XBOX exclusive. At least for a while.

#6657 sovereignNX-73811   rolling (over) back in style CAGiversary!   5692 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

sovereignNX-73811

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

Kinda funny seeing old console franchise coming to PC, like the dev/publisher finally realised the gloriousness of the PC master race, when another old franchise, which was on PC from its beginning, is going to be an XBOX exclusive. At least for a while.

I thought the first two did make it to PC. Then after that...

#6658 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8792 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

Solid 1 and 2 were ported to PC, not to mention Metal Gear was a PC franchise to begin with (the first games wereon the MSX computer system).

#6659 Motoki   Big Fish Grandma CAGiversary!   16775 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

I for one am up for anything better than Survival Instinct though.

Which is pretty much every game ever except possibly Air Control.

#6660 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8792 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:38 PM

Which is pretty much every game ever except possibly Air Control.

Survival Instinct still felt like a better game than Ride to Hell.