* * * * * 22 votes

Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

#12181 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8847 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:49 PM

Hole punch? In a CD? Wouldn't that ruin the disc?

But it's already got one.

In the center.

#12182 juanjava   El ojo en el cielo CAGiversary!   4092 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:49 PM

didn't knew DF were making Costume Quest 2... 

#12183 Detruire   Would have finished the dark skin first CAGiversary!   5443 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:54 PM

But it's already got one.

In the center.

I wouldn't describe that as being made by a hole punch.

#12184 Woodlands   spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ CAGiversary!   761 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:58 PM

Only if you actually play your CDs. Most of us backlog them.

#12185 MysterD   42 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2022)) CAGiversary!   28174 Posts   Joined 19.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:11 AM

You must realize, that's EXACTLY the kind of post that gets people spelling your name with three R's.

Why not go for 4 R's then?

#12186 travathian   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1933 Posts   Joined 18.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:12 AM

Learning that Waggles isn't my BFF is what hurts most of all.  :cry:

I was actually in the thread when the glitch was announced, but was stuck behind work firewall and unable to jump in on it, so he hooked me up.

What's up with people going nuts over Disney games on Steam?  The discount is merely 10% and the 20 games are not super stellar to begin with.. unless I've missed something?

The same reason morons spend 2 months salary on a gemstone that was pretty much worthless 100 years ago.

Marketing

#12187 MysterD   42 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2022)) CAGiversary!   28174 Posts   Joined 19.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:14 AM

How come nobody ever brings up Bloodlines in these conversations? I mean, aside from the fact that it's a PSP exclusive.

And aside from the fact that it apparently sucks.

Probably b/c most of us ain't played it - b/c it's a PSP exclusive.

Hell, even AC Lib got a PC version, for crying out loud.

#12188 Preedatore   Hamburger Thread CAGiversary!   1533 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:22 AM

Am I the only one who preferred AC3 over ACR here?

While I dug ACR's story, I hated the new mission types (the Portal-like block puzzles in 1st person sucked from Gold, and the new tower defense missions were horrible). This gave me practically little to no reason to do any of the side-missions. It didn't even feel like much had changed from ACB over to ACR, either.

At least AC3 took me to Boston in the Colonial Period; and I could now even also climb + navigate trees. While I dug the main missions - I thought the hunting was cool. Though, "bleh" @ how poor Connor's character was + the absolute ridiculousness of Connor being ad having a hand in almost every important battle + moment during the forming of our country.

I still think AC2 + ACB were the best of the AC games, IMHO.
Still, take into consideration - I ain't played AC4 yet.

I enjoyed AC3 much more than AC:R. I guess AC3 is one of those "cool to hate" games that people shit on for no legitimate reason. The different setting felt nice with the outdoor parkour mechanics, the naval battles were a decent addition, and the story and characters resonated better than: whiny assassin's plans to get laid get interrupted by those meddling templars.

#12189 agentghost   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5183 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:49 AM

inigo.jpg

You killed my father, prepare to die?

Hello, my name is Cheap Ass Gamer,

you snatched 3 AMD codes, prepare to die  :twisted: 

#12190 dfg   Impecunious Ass Gamer CAGiversary!   3132 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:55 AM

http://en.wikipedia....rding_industry)

I know a lot of the independent record stores in Chicago I frequented pre-iTunes-era sold the promos at the same price as used CDs, which is kinda shitty, but glass stones and whatnot.

I was actually in the thread when the glitch was announced, but was stuck behind work firewall and unable to jump in on it, so he hooked me up.

The same reason morons spend 2 months salary on a gemstone that was pretty much worthless 100 years ago.

Marketing

Also it makes all kinda sense for Valve to have this kind of family-friendly content available. Fits in with the Big Picture, audio library strategy.

#12191 MysterD   42 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2022)) CAGiversary!   28174 Posts   Joined 19.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:58 AM

I enjoyed AC3 much more than AC:R. I guess AC3 is one of those "cool to hate" games that people shit on for no legitimate reason. The different setting felt nice with the outdoor parkour mechanics, the naval battles were a decent addition, and the story and characters resonated better than: whiny assassin's plans to get laid get interrupted by those meddling templars.

Oh, to add to what I said earlier - yes, the naval battles were a blast! Loved those! I had more fun w/ the gameplay-stuff in AC3 over ACR...

...though I certainly preferred the story + character stuff that ACR had going on.

#12192 Detruire   Would have finished the dark skin first CAGiversary!   5443 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:07 AM

http://en.wikipedia....rding_industry)

I know a lot of the independent record stores in Chicago I frequented pre-iTunes-era sold the promos at the same price as used CDs, which is kinda shitty, but glass stones and whatnot.

Interesting. I don't remember seeing that sort of thing here.

#12193 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8847 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:17 AM

Interesting. I don't remember seeing that sort of thing here.

... wait, you were serious about that? I thought you were just messing with me. Sometimes the discs or front covers are stamped with a "This is a promotional CD" message, too. My first CD purchases from eBay like ten years ago were promo items, I didn't know what they were at the time either.

This is also done with video games and movies. I've bought games and movies with slashed or punctured UPC codes, and I once sold a sealed copy of Final Fantasy VII which had a hole drilled through a corner. I now double check every music CD or DVD that I buy because it's a pain to find replacement inserts.

A local pharmacy (Rite-Aid) loves to sell these promo discs as new items for some reason. They put a sticker over the UPC but you can tell it's been tampered with. Sometimes these also show up at dollar stores.

#12194 Woodlands   spɹɐʍʞɔɐq sı ƃuıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ CAGiversary!   761 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:21 AM

... wait, you were serious about that? I thought you were just messing with me. Sometimes the discs or front covers are stamped with a "This is a promotional CD" message, too. My first CD purchases from eBay like ten years ago were promo items, I didn't know what they were at the time either.

This is also done with video games and movies. I've bought games and movies with slashed or punctured UPC codes, and I once sold a sealed copy of Final Fantasy VII which had a hole drilled through a corner. I now double check every music CD or DVD that I buy because it's a pain to find replacement inserts.

A local pharmacy (Rite-Aid) loves to sell these promo discs as new items for some dumb reason.

I didn't realize those were promo discs. I thought they were overstock. Like putting the black pen across the UPC of a book or on the edge of the pages: the publisher lets them go for a fraction of the cost, but expects retailers to sell for less than cover price.

The promo/review/advance copies I've seen are usually labeled as such.

#12195 sweeetja713   Damn you CAG mobile theme! CAGiversary!   2440 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

sweeetja713

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:40 AM

I didn't realize those were promo discs. I thought they were overstock. Like putting the black pen across the UPC of a book or on the edge of the pages: the publisher lets them go for a fraction of the cost, but expects retailers to sell for less than cover price.

They are the result of overstock. Stores get a pull list of stuff that has sat around forever and hasn't sold. They pull and send them back to the supplier. Supplier slashes upc, case, insert, etc, sends back out to other retailers at reduced costs with the understanding that it can't be returned even if it doesn't sell.

Edit for clarity

#12196 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8847 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:42 AM

They are. Stores with overstock send them back to the supplier. Supplier slashes upc, case, insert, etc, sends back out to other retailers at reduced costs with the understanding that it can't be returned even if it doesn't sell.

In my experience, they're both.

#12197 KrAzY3   The 3 is silent. CAGiversary!   696 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:45 AM

There are different scenarios in terms of clearance items and such. You could see some salvage stuff, or some clearance or what not, but generally speaking in terms of cutouts, the implications are that there are no royalties paid if it is a promo. So, if it's a promo CD (or even a vinyl, I have plenty of promo records), the artist was not compensated for that. It's not supposed to be sold at all in that case from what I understand. The promo cutouts tend to be better done though, and the clearance cutouts tend to be a little more careless from what I've seen.

I wouldn't know the specifics of all of them, for instance I know there's the rule about tearing the cover off unsold paperbacks, and destroying them for instance, but there are plenty of instances in which something is legitimately sold after having the label marked through or what not.

Promo stuff has weird collectibility though. Depending on what it is, a promo record or CD can be in demand, but not necessarily. I don't think the promo cutouts is a thing with video games (so a cutout is probably a bad sign), for instance I have a promo Final Fantasy game which is clearly marked as such, no cutouts or what not, but then again I don't come across a lot of promo video games either unfortunately.

Edit: sweeetja713 is pretty much on point in that any form of a cutout or what, has in the very least the intention of preventing any sort of returned stock, if not preventing sale entirely. Also, something with a cutout is not necessarily considered new.

#12198 sweeetja713   Damn you CAG mobile theme! CAGiversary!   2440 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

sweeetja713

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:50 AM

In my experience, they're both.

Very much can be. In bigger chains, the punched stuff you'll see tends to be from overstock. Resell shops it tends to be a mix of both. I know back in the day, way back, it was a Wednesday as a matter of fact, some of Big Lots movies and cds used to come in this manner. I don't know if any of this still applies to them but it used to be a fairly common practice in close out stores.

#12199 sinned47   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1244 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:55 AM

tag

#12200 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5358 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:01 AM

Norwegian Steam store in nutshell

100,00 kr ~ $15

XLqETsy.png

n61mYn4.png

Nj9EQzP.png

pLM8fqH.png

0HD1Jr1.png

N30spUH.png

2jBlmWl.png

XsXxBkL.png

#12201 BaeStuped   Better Than You CAGiversary!   21406 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:05 AM

100,00 kr ~ $15

n61mYn4.png

So Wasteland Deluxe would be around $8?

Do we know any Norwegian traders or is this stuff region locked?

#12202 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5358 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:07 AM

So Wasteland Deluxe would be around $8?

Do we know any Norwegian traders or is this stuff region locked?

No region locks, don't know Norwegians :(

#12203 zeno   CheapAssMusicPerson CAGiversary!   50 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:12 AM

No region locks, don't know Norwegians :(

noooooooo :(

• dfg likes this

#12204 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8847 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:17 AM

100,00 kr ~ $15

Uh, is this the mother of all glitches or is their economy THAT screwed up?

Edit: Apparently the prices get fixed on checkout.

http://www.reddit.co...ices_important/

#12205 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5358 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:21 AM

Uh, is this the mother of all glitches or is their economy THAT screwed up?

Edit: Apparently the prices get fixed on checkout.

http://www.reddit.co...ices_important/

So it's just display glitch :(

#12206 fore1337   exquisite diet of hot dogs and coke. CAGiversary!   755 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

fore1337

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:33 AM

I didn't realize how much the price has fallen on my card.

Thinking about picking up a 2nd one for Crossfire. $266 looks like an all time low.

....think I even have a 2nd H20 block that would fit this card too. **bonus**

Spoiler

I just checked Tom's Hardware... and a 7990 is only nipping at the heels of a TitanZ.    ...that performance for $266?  hmmmmm.

#12207 MinDRioT   slipping through the cracks of a stolen jewel CAGiversary!   5031 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:34 AM

So it's just display glitch :(

It still doesn't explain how Gun Monkeys is more expensive than Sniper Elite 3  :-k

#12208 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5358 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:39 AM

It still doesn't explain how Gun Monkeys is more expensive than Sniper Elite 3  :-k

Sniper Elite 3 price = glitched

Gun Monkeys price != glitched

#12209 lostnumber  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:41 AM

So Final Fantasy: Type-0 just might be coming to PC now as well.

http://www.amazon.it...11760245&sr=1-4

A trailer to get the hypes up.

#12210 fore1337   exquisite diet of hot dogs and coke. CAGiversary!   755 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

fore1337

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:44 AM

So Final Fantasy: Type-0 just might be coming to PC now as well.

http://www.amazon.it...11760245&sr=1-4

A trailer to get the hypes up.

Italian?  I'll just take your word for it.