* * * * * 22 votes

Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

#12451 MysterD   37 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   23740 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

Are any of these worth it? I kinda feel that Mars War Log base price is too high. $2.50 may be the right price for me.

Mars: War Logs has great atmosphere & the actual story + plot is good, once it actually decides to gets going. This is pretty much typical of a games from Cyanide and Spiders, anyways.

Same goes for the gameplay - early on, it's kind of boring b/c there ain't much skills behind it - but once it gets going, it gets better. I played with a X360 controller, IIRC. 

Also, the voice-acting is typical of a foreign game - i.e. the English voice acting is flat-out all over the place. Sometimes, it's passable; sometimes, it's flat-out horrible. The writing + dialogue itself is also very typical for a Spiders + Cyanide game - it's often, flat-out stilted and a bit off, at times.

My biggest problem is on main-quests + side-quests, you'll often revisit same areas and locations - especially in the first + earliest part of the game. Lots of deja vu + backtracking there.

Graphics quality varied. Some of the areas + characters looked really good (i.e. mostly main characters); yet some looked okay.

Regardless, it was decent - but man, this game could've really been great with more time in the cooker; and better production values & more $ thrown behind its development.

#12452 archibishopofBAH   Insidious and insipid. CAGiversary!   4243 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

archibishopofBAH

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:38 AM

Finished Alien Isolation. Oh my god, so incredible. This is probably going to be my GOTY.

I wrote a little bit of a more detailed review here

#12453 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5268 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:02 PM

Are any of these worth it? I kinda feel that Mars War Log base price is too high. $2.50 may be the right price for me.

Warden's Keep - essential bank. I also really enjoyed the story of this DLC. IIRC, this DLC also gives you the Blood Magic Skill Tree.

Shale turned out to be one of my most favorite characters in the game. - Stone Prisoner

Witch Hunt - I felt as thought they complete broke the story line, just to shoehorn that in. No, you don't get to have sex again with Morrigan. :bs:

I don't remember anything special about Leliana's song, other than it was super short. ..but it did bring a lot of depth and back-story lore in. I enjoyed it. No, you don't get to have sex again with Leliana. :bs:

Both Warden's Keep and Return to Ostagar were pretty forgettable. I didn't play the DS Chronicles or Golems DLCs. It's hard for me to evaluate The Stone Prisoner as a DLC because it came free with new copies of the game when it was released, but Shale is an interesting character. I liked Witch Hunt because it was more Morrigan and I really liked her as a character (and yes, in one of my DA:O playthroughs, I did romance her). Leliana's Song was far-and-away the best of any of the DLCs I played for DA:O, though (and she's a pretty great character too). If what I've read about  Inquisition is correct, it looks like both of them will be returning in the third game, but only Leliana as a party member. 

One of the several things I didn't like about DA2 was the fact that it felt so wholly disconnected from DA:O because only a few familiar faces popped up. Not only did it not play like a DA game, the narrative unfolded in such as way that it could have been set in almost any other generic epic fantasy setting. 

Regarding your list, yeah, pretty much everything there will turn up in a bundle eventually. I haven't played any of them, but Space Run is only 50% off, Contrast and Of Orcs and Men have been on sale for this price before and will be again, and Mars: War Logs has been bundled before in a CAG bundle. I don't think I've seen it cheaper outside of that bundle, but you might be able to get a cheap key from the Steam trading thread. Those three games have fair to middling reviews across the spectrum, so if you're not going to play them soon, I'd wait.  

Of Orcs and Men is kind of compelling as a really cheesy B-tier game set in a Lord of the Rings sort of universe, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it for more than $5 since outside of the dubious dialogue there are a lot of frustrating things about it. I still always feel compelled to go back and maybe one day finish it though, so clearly it did enough right to make me want to see more of it. That's the only one I've played off the list.

This is pretty much what I've read about it, but it's been sitting on my sad wishlist for a long time. I wouldn't buy it at $7.50 either under normal circumstances but I doubt it's ever going to get cheaper than 75% off until it gets bundled, and I have some Steam birthday credit, so. . . . 

#12454 Bruticis   Banned Banned   1558 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

Story-wise Orcs is OK, it's entertaining enough to finish. The problem with Orcs, and all the other Spiders games, is the horrible console FOV that can't be adjusted (well it couldn't at release). When you take control of the huge Orc he takes almost the entire screen which is annoying as hell, like so. Also, the mob types are extremely limited, you'll face maybe 5-6 enemy types throughout the whole game. Last but not least, the maps are all incredibly linear and tiny, for example this one.

#12455 inm8num2   The result is quite fresh and quality. CAGiversary!   2811 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:49 PM

IGB Wiki has been down for the last day or so.

#12456 RevengeMonstro   Banned Banned   389 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

RevengeMonstro

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:50 PM

Damn, I have a lot of that backlogged.

MNS, your billionth-of-a-cent dedication is admirable.

Wait!!!11! Nobody buy anything from this and we're that much closer to Humble FHI 2!

but what if we want to sacrfice for it

• dfg likes this

#12457 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10356 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:56 PM

The problem with Orcs, and all the other Spiders games, is the horrible console FOV that can't be adjusted (well it couldn't at release). When you take control of the huge Orc he takes almost the entire screen which is annoying as hell, like so

Thank you.  I said the same thing regarding FOV about Mars: War Logs and people were like "It's a third person game, FOV doesn't matter".  The main problem I had was actually camera related in that it wouldn't stay consistent (enough) and seems to travel in an ellipse.  The higher the angle, the greater the field, the lower the angle or when backing against a wall, the camera got much closer and the field very narrow which was super annoying to me.  Still need to finish that game.

#12458 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10595 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

Warden's Keep - essential bank. I also really enjoyed the story of this DLC. IIRC, this DLC also gives you the Blood Magic Skill Tree.

You can just mod in a storage chest.  I never used Blood Magic much but individual preference may vary.  Certainly not worth buying Bioware Points to get the DLC for though.

I liked Of Orcs & Men.  It certainly wasn't a perfect game but it had its charm and I didn't have any trouble convincing myself to play it through to its ending.  Here was my previous review (written before I had finished it, I warmed up a little more by the end):

Spoiler

#12459 RevengeMonstro   Banned Banned   389 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

RevengeMonstro

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

Who the Fuck cares about that?

All I want to know is when do we get to run around Gran Pulse with a fully nude, purple dildo sword swinging, Lola Bunny while fighting Teletubby Oretoises?

WTF????@! 

#12460 agentghost   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5094 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

I'm probably pretty slow, but I just noticed we have a NeweggJeff posting on CAG

Hopefully he'll be more a Tony than a Josh kinda guy.

good things start with a T, not J..

#12461 MrNinjaSquirrel   Emo Blogger CAGiversary!   12143 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

MrNinjaSquirrel

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:24 PM

Daily Deal
Fract OST - $14.99 $7.49

Missed Weekend Deal
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst - $39.99 $9.99

#12462 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10356 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:28 PM

good things start with a T, not J..

Toblerone%20Milk%2050g.jpg

#12463 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5268 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:31 PM

Apropos of nothing but this showed up a few days ago and it's looking good. Cinemaware had one or two failed Kickstarters to get this off the ground (no pun intended) but they must have gotten some external funding. I played this on my Amiga back in the day and thought it was great. It was one of those oddball Cinemaware games that combined action with an interesting story and a great presentation (for a game of its era--the Cinemaware games looked and sounded fantastic on Amigas and Atari STs and looked and sounded like crap on PCs due to the substantially-superior built-in multimedia hardware of the former). 

#12464 lostnumber  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:47 PM

WTF????@! 

Okay I know I have gone way too far down the crazy hole if I can make Tebow go WTF. In my defense I haven't slept for two days when I wrote that.

#12465 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8732 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

IGB Wiki has been down for the last day or so.

Yeah... I visited the site and it looks like it's Dreamhost's fault. :\

It is unfortunate that IGBWiki is down. If you would like to join a petition against DreamHost for their ignorance in this case, please email contact@mywikis.com and we will email you details when we've gotten it set up.

#12466 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10595 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:02 PM

Cinemaware had one or two failed Kickstarters to get this off the ground (no pun intended) but they must have gotten some external funding.

Damn, I was hoping for Defender of the Crown.  The first computer game I played where you got to nail a princess.

https://www.youtube....UfFEYvM#t=2m21s

You can't link to a specific time in a video and have it pop up, huh?  Well, shucks darn.

#12467 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10356 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:16 PM

Yeah... I visited the site and it looks like it's Dreamhost's fault. :\

It is unfortunate that IGBWiki is down. If you would like to join a petition against DreamHost for their ignorance in this case, please email contact@mywikis.com and we will email you details when we've gotten it set up.

According to the last post in the Main Keys Added Thread, they're switching servers.

#12468 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5268 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:25 PM

Did anybody else just get that new Crazy Machines 2 pirate pack added to his account automatically? 

#12469 Malkan   No, ALL! CAGiversary!   1068 Posts   Joined 4.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:27 PM

Did anybody else just get that new Crazy Machines 2 pirate pack added to his account automatically? 

Yeah, it says I own it too.

#12470 lostnumber  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:31 PM

Yup.

#12471 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10356 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:31 PM

Nope.

#12472 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5262 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:32 PM

https://steamdb.info.../45037/history/

It was added to this package.

And I got it too. Why? I have no idea.

#12473 ShadowEX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   778 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:43 PM

Wow, played a bit of Alien Isolation to test it out. Does the game run really well on anyone else PC? It's all maxed out and doesn't seem to tax the process at all. The flames that burst out of the pipe in the beginning look damn good. The textures can be higher quality though. The lighting and particle effects are great. Only small problem is the vertical FOV and the mouse smoothing/acceleration, but it isn't as bad.

I think the devs can push this even further. I may try to run it downsample from 4K. All that's left is the story and gameplay....and did I mention the fire look damn good?

#12474 Tsel   The Dark Knight CAGiversary!   7560 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

Kinda don't want to buy anymore games. 
rVcEmHE.png

#12475 EpicGilgamesh   Let's Put a Smile on That Face CAGiversary!   981 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

EpicGilgamesh

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

This weekend is the Encore September Humble Bundle Sale

https://www.humblebu...mo/bundleencore

Why they haven't done this every other month-I have no idea. This is definitely one of the best promos they have come up with. The only catch is there is no BTA so you must pay the full $15.00 for each past bundle.

#12476 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5262 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

rVcEmHE.png

Don't worry Steam or someone else will give you free one to break that, and then you have to buy more.

#12477 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4268 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

This weekend is the Encore September Humble Bundle "Sale"

ftfy

This is definitely one of the best promos they have come up with. 

lol wut?

#12478 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5262 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

Wow, played a bit of Alien Isolation to test it out. Does the game run really well on anyone else PC? It's all maxed out and doesn't seem to tax the process at all. The flames that burst out of the pipe in the beginning look damn good. The textures can be higher quality though. The lighting and particle effects are great. Only small problem is the vertical FOV and the mouse smoothing/acceleration, but it isn't as bad.

I think the devs can push this even further. I may try to run it downsample from 4K. All that's left is the story and gameplay....and did I mention the fire look damn good?

It's really good. I don't get solid 60 fps with my 4 YEAR old GPU (HD6870), but something like 40-60 fps which is acceptable.

And consoles probably struggle to get even 30fps.

#12479 Tsel   The Dark Knight CAGiversary!   7560 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

Don't worry Steam or someone else will give you free one to break that, and then you have to buy more.

What's the next OCD-ish milestone after this? 1,500 or maybe 1,337? 

#12480 ShadowEX   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   778 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

rVcEmHE.png

Said the same to myself when I was around 1100 games. Still ended up buying hundreds more. I guess this is what an addict feels like.