* * * * * 22 votes

Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

#13711 inm8num2   The result is quite fresh and quality. CAGiversary!   2802 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:41 PM

Can someone help me understand why people undercut card prices so much? I see cards with histories at $.40 or $0.50, but once it drops in a bundle people sell for $0.10 or less.

#13712 pasports31   New Year's Resolution = Make a Dent in my Backlog CAGiversary!   8333 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

I'd also like to jump on the "risens final boss was shit" bandwagon. the game as a whole was enjoyable enough, although nothing I'd likely want to play through a second time. That boss was horrid though

#13713 rainking187   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2272 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

rainking187

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:44 PM

Thanks. Already have all the Dead Island games, so I guess I didn't miss anything.

#13714 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10349 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:46 PM

a fucking paradox.

Isn't that when you send not-yet-your-dad back in time to save your mom, only to find out that while there he did more than save her and ended up creating you, so that in the future you could do what was said at the beginning of this sentence?

#13715 TwelveVolt   Nobody from Nowhere CAGiversary!   2369 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

TwelveVolt

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:50 PM

Can someone help me understand why people undercut card prices so much? I see cards with histories at $.40 or $0.50, but once it drops in a bundle people sell for $0.10 or less.

Supply and demand?

#13716 inm8num2   The result is quite fresh and quality. CAGiversary!   2802 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:57 PM

Supply and demand?

Right, but the drop seems too steep. Once a game is bundled the card prices immediately fall to ~$0.10. I guess they go that low because that's what people are willing to pay on average? Seems to me people could sell the cards for a little extra if they were a bit more patient vs. wanting to make the sale upon listing.

#13717 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:59 PM

Thinking about kickin' it ol' skool with a 1st/3rd person RPG.  Think I've got it down to:

• Gothic 1
  • Risen 1
  • Fable: Lost Chapters
  • Witcher 1
  • Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
Bueller? Bueller?  What do I go wit?

Rogue. Top-down ASCII is a 3rd-person perspective, amirite?

#13718 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8719 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

Because they're dicks?

#13719 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10349 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:08 PM

Seems to me people could sell the cards for a little extra if they were a bit more patient vs. wanting to make the sale upon listing.

You're giving "people" too much credit. This is the internet.

#13720 MysterD   37 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   23659 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:10 PM

Thinking about kickin' it ol' skool with a 1st/3rd person RPG.  Think I've got it down to:

• Gothic 1
  • Risen 1
  • Fable: Lost Chapters
  • Witcher 1
  • Dark Messiah of Might & Magic

Bueller? Bueller?  What do I go wit?

The Witcher 1.

#13721 inm8num2   The result is quite fresh and quality. CAGiversary!   2802 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:12 PM

LOL. Yea, I mean I'm not new to how the markets work, but I'm still amused at how instead of people undercutting by a few cents at a time, they just drop the value of the cards by as much as 80% immediately.

#13722 MysterD   37 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   23659 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

I saw them and the only thing I remember about them was the deals sucked.

Vampire: Bloodlines was $5 yesterday also...

...but they don't have a Steam-version there.

I'm not sure what the DRM-version from GameFly is.

#13723 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4250 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:15 PM

LOL. Yea, I mean I'm not new to how the markets work, but I'm still amused at how instead of people undercutting by a few cents at a time, they just drop the value of the cards by as much as 80% immediately.

Maybe they need virtual money for their virtual drug habit in Second Life...or something....don't judge me.

#13724 Draekon   Kung-Fu Panda CAGiversary!   5566 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:15 PM

People want immediate payout. If you've played MMO games where they have functional auction houses, you see the same thing there. However the difference between Steam and an MMO is that there are a lot less fluctuations and it tends to only go down in price bearing rare circumstance. The main reason being in this case, like mentioned before, supply and demand. High supply with lower demand coupled with people wanting immediate results/satisfaction/payout.

#13725 wtsutton   Lost my hippie lettuce! CAGiversary!   943 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:24 PM

Vampire: Bloodlines was $5 yesterday also...

...but they don't have a Steam-version there.

I'm not sure what the DRM-version from GameFly is.

I want that game horribly but I'm waiting for the Steam-version.

#13726 laneroo   kitty kitty spank spank CAGiversary!   590 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:44 PM

Right, but the drop seems too steep. Once a game is bundled the card prices immediately fall to ~$0.10. I guess they go that low because that's what people are willing to pay on average? Seems to me people could sell the cards for a little extra if they were a bit more patient vs. wanting to make the sale upon listing.

The pricing of steam cards will always be a mystery. Like why are the anime looking cards worth a lot ? 

In my opinion, games with a lot of cards like Awesomenauts or Pixel Piracy, should cost less per card because there's many to collect and vice versa. 

But what bothers me the most is that a game like CSGO with 5 cards, goes for 5-6 cents per card. And a game like Bastion, with the same amount of cards, goes for triple.

#13727 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8719 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:44 PM

https://steamdb.info...329850/history/

"Magicka: Wizard Wars - Humble Halloween"

Guess this is what we'll be getting after the Mozilla bundle ends.

AND OH MY GOD.

https://steamdb.info...250180/history/

METAL SLUG 3'S BEING UPDATED. HOPE THEY'RE GOING TO FIX THE DAMN GAME.

#13728 wtsutton   Lost my hippie lettuce! CAGiversary!   943 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:49 PM

I have no clue what retarded monkey is pushing the buttons over at GMG but after voting in the Joystick awards and getting jipped out of a code for Enemy Unknown, they have now sent me a THIRD code to get Enemy Within at 80% off.

Salt in the wound:  The e-mail says, "Voting in the 32nd Golden Joysticks has come to an end; fingers crossed your favourite wins! We hope too that you managed to grab a free copy of XCOM: Enemy Unknown."

If anybody wants it, apply it after EW is already in your cart:

IACDB5-LGBSBR-DP0PE2

#13729 laneroo   kitty kitty spank spank CAGiversary!   590 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:50 PM

I have no clue what retarded monkey is pushing the buttons over at GMG but after voting in the Joystick awards and getting jipped out of a code for Enemy Unknown, they have now sent me a THIRD code to get Enemy Within at 80% off.

If anybody wants it, apply it after EW is already in your cart:

IACDB5-LGBSBR-DP0PE2

I've got three of those.. and two of the borderlands TPS season pass 25% off coupons >.> 

#13730 lostnumber  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:55 PM

I find it weird that SteamDB is showing so much activity for Paranautical Activity 4 hours ago.

Added Store Name

Removed Store Name

Added Store Name

Removed Store Name

Added Store Name

Removed Store Name

Is it coming back or is this Gabe Newell just adding insult to injury for the guy who threatened his life?

#13731 laneroo   kitty kitty spank spank CAGiversary!   590 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:59 PM

Is it coming back or is this Gabe Newell just adding insult to injury for the guy who threatened his life?

Money & power goes a long way.

#13732 wtsutton   Lost my hippie lettuce! CAGiversary!   943 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:12 PM

I find it weird that SteamDB is showing so much activity for Paranautical Activity 4 hours ago.

Added Store Name

Removed Store Name

Added Store Name

Removed Store Name

Added Store Name

Removed Store Name

Or the person in control of the mouse has Parkinsons. 

#13733 slidecage   Nothing to say CAGiversary!   29324 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:19 PM

https://steamdb.info...329850/history/

"Magicka: Wizard Wars - Humble Halloween"

Guess this is what we'll be getting after the Mozilla bundle ends.

AND OH MY GOD.

https://steamdb.info...250180/history/

METAL SLUG 3'S BEING UPDATED. HOPE THEY'RE GOING TO FIX THE DAMN GAME.

i be all over that. i missed the last time wizard wars was part of a package. Love for it to hit tomorrow as their weekly bundle

#13734 Foxhack   Bad Hombre CAGiversary!   8719 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:23 PM

i be all over that. i missed the last time wizard wars was part of a package. Love for it to hit tomorrow as their weekly bundle

Uh. Isn't Wizard Wars free / F2P? So this would be an item for the game.

#13735 Drabelincoln   Do Not + Will Not CAGiversary!   6732 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Drabelincoln

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:23 PM

wizard wars is free..............................................

#13736 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:31 PM

The pricing of steam cards will always be a mystery. Like why are the anime looking cards worth a lot ? 
In my opinion, games with a lot of cards like Awesomenauts or Pixel Piracy, should cost less per card because there's many to collect and vice versa. 

But what bothers me the most is that a game like CSGO with 5 cards, goes for 5-6 cents per card. And a game like Bastion, with the same amount of cards, goes for triple.

Anime fans are in general more used to paying a premium to get collectables; Japanese niche sells for higher prices (in or out of Japan) than most westerners are used to paying for similar, more popular domestic products.

It's also a generational thing. I'm guessing Steam trading cards are in general more popular with the 22 and under crowd than they are with people who have been out in the workforce, meaning they don't have as much of an appreciation for the value of money or what it can buy; this generation has also been raised on more blatantly Japanese imports than their predecessors (which localized the everloving Fuck out of their Japanese imports), meaning animu is a (relatively) hot commodity for them.

Ultimately, supply and demand isn't so neat and tidy. There are lots of variables all contributing to what price people will choose to buy something for. To take your Bastion vs. CSGO example, the face of it ends up looking somewhat similar to the animu thing—Bastion is beloved by indie hipsters (don't get me wrong, it's a good game). CSGO is mostly played by modern FPS fans and people who were into PC gaming 20 damn years ago. I'd be willing to bet there are a lot more played copies of CSGO out there than there are of Bastion, meaning the card market is more saturated; in addition, indie hipsters love paying too much for crap they don't need and will never be able to use, meaning the Bastion card market probably has higher demand.

#13737 archibishopofBAH   Insidious and insipid. CAGiversary!   4243 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

archibishopofBAH

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:48 PM

I'd be willing to bet there are a lot more played copies of CSGO out there than there are of Bastion, meaning the card market is more saturated; in addition, indie hipsters love paying too much for crap they don't need and will never be able to use, meaning the Bastion card market probably has higher demand.

There are a lot more cards of CSGO because the stream of them is neverending. No matter if you have completed the badge to level 5 (25 cards) you still generate new cards every time you spend $10 in the store, be it from buying keys or stuff like name tags. It's just like TF2 in this respect. There are people who spend hundreds of dollars in CSGO opening crates and that sort of thing, so theres always going to be lots of cards for it. You get a card drop if you spend that amount no matter what. There are less for a game like Bastion simply because the drops cease at some point, so theres immediately less cards. Bastion also hasnt been bundled in a while now so its not inundated with new users and the card prices rise. Bastion card drops are related to how many users have the game but CSGO cards are more related to how much a user spends on it.

#13738 Naked Snake Eyes   What would Snake do? CAGiversary!   6462 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Naked Snake Eyes

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:49 PM

I found Lego LOTR boring and I didn't bother to finish it. But I had just played one of the Batman games before so I was probably burned out. It was still boring.

#13739 BrownDerby   🐟 CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

BrownDerby

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:53 PM

Because they're stupid and I hate them!!!

#13740 Bruticis   Banned Banned   1558 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:06 AM

Because I don't want them nor do I want to sit on them, yet I feel compelled to idle them. I sell them for the highest asking price someone has set as a buyer so I'm rid of them immediately.