Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS) $19.99 New @ Gamestop.com

Oh, COME ON!

What the hell is with all the great 3DS games going on sale lately?? They're taking all my money.

...If I wanted that, I'd get a wife. *rimshot*

worked for me at $20, ordered one to play.  trade in value at amazon is $21.xx and at best buy is $10, the in store price is still $40 so in case its a price mistake just went ahead and ordered with shipping ($3.50 ugh!)

So how big of a pain in the ass is this game to control without the cpp?
It takes some getting used to, but you can customize the size and location of the virtual dpad on the touch screen and there's a lock-on camera/targeting computer that makes it really easy to control once you get the hang of it. I put about seventy hours on the game before I got a CPP, and while I think the CPP is a GREAT add-on and totally worth the price just for this game [in my opinion], I still take Monster Hunter out of the house/on the road without it some times. Between a 3DS XL with and without the Circle Pad Pro and a Wii U with the Gamepad/Classic Controller/Pro/Pro Controller U, I've put over 360 hours into MH3U. I don't have any problem controlling it no matter what I'm using. Being able to save customized touch screen panel sets makes it super easy to switch between systems and control setups.

I played the demo, and in my opinion, it was too big of a pain to ever consider buying the game.
The demo doesn't have any sort of learning curve, doesn't explain the mechanics of the game or what it's about, and isn't indicative of full experience. It might not be for everyone, or you might need to gitt gudd.

Its just for online only, in store is still listed as $40. I just called and confirmed with my local GS store.
So if I go through the online ordering process, and when I get to Handling Options in Checkout I select Pick Up At Store, and I select the store from a list page that continues to show the $19.99 price - when I pick it up in store they'll charge me $40? And likely give me a gutted copy?

That's just so... GameStop.

already shipped

looks like its not a mistake anyways its on a banner on the front page of GS, good until end of week.  must have a shit load of copies they wanna get rid of

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to come gush about how much I love this game. One of the most deep, rewarding and incredibly polished games I've ever played. I bought it at full price and it has still been the most entertainment I've ever had for $40. 200+ hours in and I can't wait for the next one. 

I highly recommend getting a circle pad pro for it though. I have big hands so it was a necessary purchase for me regardless, but it is almost a requirement to fully enjoy this game.

So if I go through the online ordering process, and when I get to Handling Options in Checkout I select Pick Up At Store, and I select the store from a list page that continues to show the $19.99 price - when I pick it up in store they'll charge me $40? And likely give me a gutted copy?

That's just so... GameStop.
Last I checked the only "in-store pickup" option that Gamestop offered was more a "we'll hold this item for you until you come buy it" sort of layaway thing.

If Gamestop had rolled out with this a few days sooner - or if Amazon hadn't run out of stock of SMTIV for all of one day - I would've bought both games at once, instead of having to find something else to bump me up to Saver shipping both times.

Speaking of which, do they not stack CAG16 and SAVER anymore?

If Gamestop had rolled out with this a few days sooner - or if Amazon hadn't run out of stock of SMTIV for all of one day - I would've bought both games at once, instead of having to find something else to bump me up to Saver shipping both times.

Speaking of which, do they not stack CAG16 and SAVER anymore?
They do stack. CAG16 only works on used games however :/

Last I checked the only "in-store pickup" option that Gamestop offered was more a "we'll hold this item for you until you come buy it" sort of layaway thing.
They call it PickUp@Store, if we're getting detailed about it, and it's integrated into the online order process (as I said, it's one of the Handling Options at checkout, which implies it's just another way of fulfilling your online order at the advertised online price). However, I agree with your description of how it seems to be implemented (they just hold it for you, but the transaction is apparently the same as if you walked in cold without ever having gone through the online order process). Contrast this to BestBuy.com, where you get an order number even when you select in-store pickup, and the price shown on the site is the price you pay in store when you pick up your item.

It's OK, GameStop doesn't want my business, I get it. I always feel like I need a shower after I walk in there, anyway. And apparently I'm not the only one, since they've closed at least half the stores in my area in the last 2-3 years.

They call it PickUp@Store, if we're getting detailed about it, and it's integrated into the online order process (as I said, it's one of the Handling Options at checkout, which implies it's just another way of fulfilling your online order at the advertised online price). However, I agree with your description of how it seems to be implemented (they just hold it for you, but the transaction is apparently the same as if you walked in cold without ever having gone through the online order process). Contrast this to BestBuy.com, where you get an order number even when you select in-store pickup, and the price shown on the site is the price you pay in store when you pick up your item.
Yes, their PickUp@Store is the exact thing that I was just describing. I've done it before and that's exactly what it is.

The demo doesn't have any sort of learning curve, doesn't explain the mechanics of the game or what it's about, and isn't indicative of full experience. It might not be for everyone, or you might need to gitt gudd.
I was talking about the controls on the 3DS version. The game is rad, I'd just prefer to play it on a system with two joysticks.

if you go into a physical gamestop store, and have them order one for you through them, you can get free shipping.  much easier, and my store i always visit offered to do that for me, love that they offer that.

Should I pick up 2nd copy for my collection ???
I dunno. I already got a complete physical copy used from Gamestop late last year/early this year for $13.xx and tax after discounts but I'm considering buying a digital copy (for both my 3DS and Wii U) if it ever goes back on sale in the eShop for $19.99. Did that with Resident Evil Revelations on the Wii U a couple weeks back for $19.99 from the eShop and glad I did :)

bread's done
Back