50% off Criterion sale @ Barnes & Nobles (ends 07/28/14).

Ill have to check it out when I get home.

A lot of criterion blu rays I want but I hate their ones that come in cardboard boxes like repo man. I cant tell which ones have blu rays cases inside slipcover or which are just a cardboard box inside a slipcover.

Ill have to check it out when I get home.

A lot of criterion blu rays I want but I hate their ones that come in cardboard boxes like repo man. I cant tell which ones have blu rays cases inside slipcover or which are just a cardboard box inside a slipcover.
Generally speaking if there is a slipcover, it's a cardboard box. Only seen two with slipcovers and a regular case within. First run of Two Lane Blacktop and I saw a Godzilla used at a record store with a regular case and a cardboard slipcover.

And thanks OP. Wanted to pick up the Hitchcock reissues on BD. Picked em up in store.

The cardboard cases are only annoying because Criterion had more of them and then went to the white plastic blu-ray case. Bottle Rocket used to be cardboard. I even bought a new case for $5 from them. But after that some still come out cardboard. Like wtf. Fantastic Mr. Fox has the worst blu-ray package i own.

which is the best way to go with this? I usually jump right on the sale when it starts (already of 4 movies in my shopping cart), but do any coupons or further discounts appear down the road? I just discovered that Hulu has most of the collection available for members but I just love have these physical copies as part of my collection, plus all the supplements and bonus materials are awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
The B&N membership ($25/year, free expedited shipping online, 10% off all items in-store, plus exclusive coupons) helps in-store with the discount and online with free shipping, though the coupons being used in-store with the sale have been YMMV for some people.

Sometimes, individual titles drop cheaper than the B&N sale at 50% off, though for the larger/more expensive titles, this sale tends to be the best deal.

thanks for the info. Looks like my reaping will be a brief history of time, Frances ha, scanners, the devil's backbone, fantastic Mr fox, and the life aquatic. thoughts? opinions? I was thinking of picking up another Kurosawa film but I already won most of them.

The B&N membership ($25/year, free expedited shipping online, 10% off all items in-store, plus exclusive coupons) helps in-store with the discount and online with free shipping, though the coupons being used in-store with the sale have been YMMV for some people.

Sometimes, individual titles drop cheaper than the B&N sale at 50% off, though for the larger/more expensive titles, this sale tends to be the best deal.
I use to look forward to these sales but my local stores won't let me use the coupons and online you don't get the 10%off. So I haven't taken advantage of it lately. That said, Criterion is quality (I own about 80 Criterion blu rays).

thanks for the info. Looks like my reaping will be a brief history of time, Frances ha, scanners, the devil's backbone, fantastic Mr fox, and the life aquatic. thoughts? opinions? I was thinking of picking up another Kurosawa film but I already won most of them.
Check out Harakiri if you haven't. It's not Kurosawa,but it's an excellent film.

Check out Harakiri if you haven't. It's not Kurosawa,but it's an excellent film.
Thanks for the recommendation. Ended up picking up Hara Kiri, Carlos, along with Paris Texas and the others I stated. This month has been a splurge fest but I only purchase movies for my collection once year during this sale haha.

I use to look forward to these sales but my local stores won't let me use the coupons and online you don't get the 10%off. So I haven't taken advantage of it lately. That said, Criterion is quality (I own about 80 Criterion blu rays).
They must have changed the membership since the last sale, as I was getting 10% off on the Criterion items when I was getting them online. The coupons are YMMV as you will get some reps that will let them through and others that won't. I know the Criterion regulars in this forum had made some complaints about coupon use the last time around.

Here I go... sad to hear about Mr Fox I own the non Criterion and really wanted it but if the box sucks it might be no go.

[quote name="Dormin" post="11890174" timestamp="1404341650"]Here I go... sad to hear about Mr Fox I own the non Criterion and really wanted it but if the box sucks it might be no go.[/quote]
I bought a copy because I liked the criterion boxing for it. I'll just try to offload the non criterion on eBay or something. I own the criterion edition of Wes anderson's other films so the collector in me felt it was right

The cardboard cases are only annoying because Criterion had more of them and then went to the white plastic blu-ray case. Bottle Rocket used to be cardboard. I even bought a new case for $5 from them. But after that some still come out cardboard. Like wtf. Fantastic Mr. Fox has the worst blu-ray package i own.
I kind of like the cardboard cases/sleeves. They have that "collectors edition" feel to them. 4 out of the last 5 Criterions I purchased were cardboard. Life Aquatic being the only one that wasn't.

EDIT: Like I said earlier, I haven't kept up with their recent releases. Just checked now and they have 305 blu-ray titles. I've got some catching up to do.

I'm thinking of finally snagging a copy of Pearls Of The Czech New Wave, because I love Daisies so much, anyone have any opinions on the other films in the collection?

Called the store to see if the sale is also in store, it is. Though they did not have A Hards Day Night, but they'll be calling me when the get in.

I would order it online but shipping kills it.

I'm thinking of finally snagging a copy of Pearls Of The Czech New Wave, because I love Daisies so much, anyone have any opinions on the other films in the collection?
They're pretty good, but none are of Daisies quality. My second-favorite film from the set is probably Pearls of the Deep. I've met some people who like The Joke and A Report on the Party and Guests a bunch, but those two don't really do it for me. Of course you can get Milos Forman's Loves of a Blonde and The Firemen's Ball individually from Criterion, if you haven't already--both great Czech films not included in the set. And there's still a part of me that's disappointed that Pearls of the Czech New Wave didn't include Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, but whatever. Even if the other films in the set were bad, which they aren't, Daisies alone would be sufficient justification for buying it.

Went to the store and got Seven Samurai blu ray for around $22 after using a 15% off coupon as well. Thanks OP.

They're pretty good, but none are of Daisies quality. My second-favorite film from the set is probably Pearls of the Deep. I've met some people who like The Joke and A Report on the Party and Guests a bunch, but those two don't really do it for me. Of course you can get Milos Forman's Loves of a Blonde and The Firemen's Ball individually from Criterion, if you haven't already--both great Czech films not included in the set. And there's still a part of me that's disappointed that Pearls of the Czech New Wave didn't include Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, but whatever. Even if the other films in the set were bad, which they aren't, Daisies alone would be sufficient justification for buying it.
Thanks! The synopsis of Report On The Party And Guests piqued my interest. I may end up grabbing this after all.

I have A Hard Days Night coming to me, and on the 15th I plan on being at the store bright and early for Pickpocket and Scanners. Mostly Scanners.

So far I got Ace in the Hole,Rashamon,The Samurai Trilogy,The Hidden Fortress,and The Zatoichi set. Probably get a couple other things near the end of the sale.

Picked up all 6 Wes Anderson Movies. My wife and I are now having a sort of retrospective of his work. I wonder if Moonrise Kingdom and Grand Budapest Hotel will eventually move to Criterion.

Picked up The Hidden Fortress and Throne of Blood. Although not Criterion, Kurosawa's Ran is also 50% off at around $9 for a member on blu.

Picked up all 6 Wes Anderson Movies. My wife and I are now having a sort of retrospective of his work. I wonder if Moonrise Kingdom and Grand Budapest Hotel will eventually move to Criterion.
Because Fantastic Mr. Fox did, I fully expect both of his last two to make it to Criterion eventually. Going to watch Budapest tonight for the first time but Moonrise was easily my least Anderson film.

Because Fantastic Mr. Fox did, I fully expect both of his last two to make it to Criterion eventually. Going to watch Budapest tonight for the first time but Moonrise was easily my least Anderson film.
I don't want to build it up for you, but I think Budapest is the most "Adersonian" Wes Anderson movie. Post your thoughts after you watch it.

I don't want to build it up for you, but I think Budapest is the most "Adersonian" Wes Anderson movie. Post your thoughts after you watch it.
It was really good. Most of the great lines came from Fienes, who absolutely kills. I also loved Adrien Brody and Willem Dafoe. Two issues. The main narrator lobby boy somehow got white with old age (wtf) and I hate that the majority is shot in 4:3. I don't need that to know it's flashback. I hate 4:3 so much.

Anybody know if BN.com is accurate with what stores have in stock? The store a mile from me says no Scanners in stock but the one 12 miles away does. Didn't know if I was out of luck or if it was like Best Buy and they may have a couple in stock.

Anybody know if BN.com is accurate with what stores have in stock? The store a mile from me says no Scanners in stock but the one 12 miles away does. Didn't know if I was out of luck or if it was like Best Buy and they may have a couple in stock.
Instore stock count online is usually accurate.

I have A Hard Days Night coming to me, and on the 15th I plan on being at the store bright and early for Pickpocket and Scanners. Mostly Scanners.
I'm really on the fence about Scanners. I have the UK steelbook from Second Sight, but I can't get a good feel for which one is "better." Bluray.com isn't much help because all they do is go on and on saying they're "different" and that people will talk about it a lot. Looking at the screencaps side by side only shows that the UK one is brighter looking >_>

If anyone has extra Barnes and Noble coupons they aren't planning on using, could you PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address. I wouldn't mind picking up a few more Criterion films while they are on sale. I think this is the last round of coupons for this sale that went out on Thursday.

Thanks for posting this. That's more or less in line with what Bluray.com said and it really sounds like it comes down to personal preference between the two and the availability of a player from that region.

Part of me feels like I should like the Criterion one better b/c Cronenberg supervised it and it has Stereo (the movie, not the audio format ironically) but I think I'll pass unless I can scrounge up a used one on the cheap.

J3P4X4Y took 10% off an online purchase when stacked with the Criterion sale.   Seems to only work with a single item on a order because two items in the bag only had a single item get the 10% discount.   Most likely also single use per account.

Thanks for posting this. That's more or less in line with what Bluray.com said and it really sounds like it comes down to personal preference between the two and the availability of a player from that region.

Part of me feels like I should like the Criterion one better b/c Cronenberg supervised it and it has Stereo (the movie, not the audio format ironically) but I think I'll pass unless I can scrounge up a used one on the cheap.
Hadn't read up on it, thanks for posting up it has Stereo. Never seen it, way pumped. About SR though, nope, not a standard format for years to come. Criterion does a great job with Mono transfers though.

J3P4X4Y took 10% off an online purchase when stacked with the Criterion sale. Seems to only work with a single item on a order because two items in the bag only had a single item get the 10% discount. Most likely also single use per account.
Do you have to be a member to use this?

[quote name="TheRainCoat" post="11947829" timestamp="1406078320"]So the only Criterion movie I want, Fantastic Mr. Fox, happens to also be in a crappy box?

There is no God.[/quote]
Are there any chances that the boxes get changed somewhere down the line? I bought Fantastic Mr. fox and the box isn't all that bad. Contents fold out to a nice spread of the farms and the supplemental booklet includes sketches and a comic book of white mask

I always assumed that the packaging was selected based on the booklet size. For example, the booklet for Repo Man is probably too thick to safely put in a standard case.

Hey fellow CAGs!

I have two movies in my "bag" right now that I am going to purchase (Seconds and The Game). Does anyone have any suggestions for one more? I'm a big fan of psychological thrillers (just finished Se7en and Inception and they were awesome) and really anything with huge twists at the end. 

Hey fellow CAGs!

I have two movies in my "bag" right now that I am going to purchase (Seconds and The Game). Does anyone have any suggestions for one more? I'm a big fan of psychological thrillers (just finished Se7en and Inception and they were awesome) and really anything with huge twists at the end.
Videodrome.

bread's done
Back