Ocarina of time: Gamecube or N64 version

BrerDan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Hey all! I'm itching to take on Zelda: Ocarina of Time but I have both the N64 version and the ported version for the Gamecube in the Collector's Edition. Is there any reason to play one version over the over? Are the graphics any better on the Gamecube? Is the controller layout any better on one or the other?

Any thoughts appreciated, as I know I'll be devoting several hours :)

Thanks
BrerDan

to me, they are exactly the same, except for slightly improved graphics on the GC version. It would probably be best for you to just pick whichever one's controller you like better.

I'd go with the N64 version. The GC version just seemed off to me compared to the original. I can't quite put my finger on what it was, but it was disconcerting to the point where I couldn't get real far in it.

go wit(gamecube version)h which(gamecube version)ever con(gamecube version)trol(gamecube version)ler you (gamecube version) like better.

did you catch the subliminal messages? now your opinion is my opinion.

Get the collectors edition N64. You can get it new sealed off ebay for ~$20-$30 or about $10 mint 100% complete with all inserts/manual/box/etc. Great collectors item. That's what I did. I also have the Gamecube one, but that was not the way it was meant to be played imo. N64 is my vote.

The Cube version looks much sharper. Unless you are looking to exploit the bugs in earlier versions of the game, go with the Cube one.

Play the 64 version. Using the C-Stick instead of C-Buttons was a pain. They both played the same anyway. The only reason to pick up the GC version is Master Quest.

I'd go for convenience. If you have the cube hooked up right now, play it on the cube. That is how little difference there is between the two. Flip a coin. Just play the game, it is great.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']You don't have to use the C-Stick on the Cube version you can use the X/Y/Z button instead. Just FYI.[/quote]

I know that. I completed both OOT and Master Quest on GC. :wink:

I still liked the C Buttons more. I also prefer the feel of the N64 controller for OOT. :)

[quote name='metroidkiller9']you all make extremely invalid points. all it comes down to is the sweet, sweet flow of the z-targeting on n64.[/quote]

I totally & whole-heartedly agree.

Thanks!

It seems that people are pretty split and that the main determination is the controller, not graphics or sound or loading....so I'll probably just spend about 10 minutes playing each to decide which feels more natural.

I'm guessing thought that the Z-trigger might be the biggest factor...thus leading me toward the original N64 version.

Thanks!
BrerDan

After u play the n64 version vs the Gc controller, the n64 controller feels like it was built for OoT. It just has abetter feel to it.

I never liked the N64 controller and the GC controls just feel natural for me (even the C-stick)

GC version>N64 version

off subject but. . . .,

was anyone else disappointed with how easy master quest was? i thought it was going to be really hard, but instead it was about the same as the original.

any thoughts?

[quote name='DenisDFat']Spare yourself and don't play either

the game totally sucks[/QUOTE]
As a matter of fact this game does not suck and many people love it.
Don't say bad things about it.
I'll go zelda on you

Well if you have the first gen of N64 games its actually different, there is more blood at the end(they took it out) and the islamic chanting(took it out too) in the fire temple.

The Gamecube runs at higher resolution, but the N64 version was made for its controller. There might be some hassles adapting to the Gamecube layout.

The N64 version also has the BIG advantage of the Gameshark, which allows you to access a LOT of leftover beta content and other weid stuff such as the Arwing enemy. These codes have NOT been ported to the GC Action replay as far as I know.

But the Gamecube had the advantage of the Master Quest as a bonus game. You also won't need to buy a rumble pak as it supports the rumble feature natively.

There's also the collector's disc, but you'll need an alternate controller to play the NES ports(Hori GB Player controller, PS2 adaptor) and Majora's Mask is a bit buggy(sound popping, possible game crashes at random points).

There's the Virtual Console edition, too, which is pretty much the Gamecube edition without the rumble feature.

bread's done
Back