* * * * * 1 votes

Vita Thumbstick Attachment on Ebay? Anyone own this?

#1 jughead   Beersport Champion! CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

Hey guys. I've been looking for a way to improve my precision/control on the vita. The sticks are too small and not tall enough for me. None of the attachments I've seen this far address the issue of how much surface area or how much depth the sticks have. The closest thing I have found that would work for me are some 3-D printed stick attachments but they are only in the concept phase on the Internet. I have periodically checked eBay for a potential solution and today I happened to stumble across these:

http://www.ebay.com/...redirect=mobile

Has anyone tried these? I'm thinking about getting a pair. Surely I can't be the only one who feels this way about the Vita thumb sticks.

PS this is not an advertisement. EBay just so happen to be the only place that had this item on sale. I am genuinely looking for a more comfortable/precise experience when playing the vita. If no one has demoed these and I haven't heard anything by the end of the weekend, I will order them and give my impressions once they arrive.

#2 kilik64   Carefree, Wherever We May Be CAGiversary!   7597 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

Hey guys. I've been looking for a way to improve my precision/control on the vita. The sticks are too small and not tall enough for me. None of the attachments I've seen this far address the issue of how much surface area or how much depth the sticks have. The closest thing I have found that would work for me are some 3-D printed stick attachments but they are only in the concept phase on the Internet. I have periodically checked eBay for a potential solution and today I happened to stumble across these:

http://www.ebay.com/...redirect=mobile

Has anyone tried these? I'm thinking about getting a pair. Surely I can't be the only one who feels this way about the Vita thumb sticks.

PS this is not an advertisement. EBay just so happen to be the only place that had this item on sale. I am genuinely looking for a more comfortable/precise experience when playing the vita. If no one has demoed these and I haven't heard anything by the end of the weekend, I will order them and give my impressions once they arrive.

Look really good, order and let us all know how they are.

#3 jughead   Beersport Champion! CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

I ordered a set. I'll give my impressions later this week.

#4 jughead   Beersport Champion! CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

The attachments arrived today.  I'm happy to report that they are a dramatic upgrade to the thumbsticks!  It is hard to believe someone hasn't manufactured these on a large scale yet.  My impressions:

Excited About

• They more than double the total height the stick protrude from the body of the Vita
  • The Xbox One stick surface is a bonus.  It feels good to touch.
  • The attachments are made of a pretty firm plastic and snap on with ease.   Putting them on was 100 times easier than putting the rubber stick caps you can buy online.
  • The improvement feels so good, it doesn't even feel like a "trigger grip" attachment will be necessary (to prevent hand cramps) anymore.  I may be wrong but it certainly feels that way.

Concerns

• While it appears sturdily built, I could see how it would be possible to wear these out if you are rough with it.  I pulled the sticks to the side with the caps on with more force than I would ever use in a game and they didn't act like they wanted to come off. 
  • Probably the biggest thing I worry about is playing a game which heavily utilizes the right stick and the X button.  The right stick's protrusion seems like it will get in the way when trying to make time-precise taps on the X button.

Beyond that, I'm really excited to play games with this new attachment.  I've bought two trigger grips, thumbstick covers and a carrying case.  This is by far the accessory that has impressed me the most.  Without using it to play games (big caveat), I'd give this accessory an A+.  For 10 bucks, you don't have too much to lose.  Let me know if you're interested in any pics that may not be available on the guy's listing.  I hope this has been helpful.  

Edit - Just gave Luftrausers a shot.  While not a dual stick game, there is definitely a marked improvement in my comfort while playing.  I suck pretty bad so I'm not sure if it helped my precision or not.  

#5 markbrochilll   Typical Nintendo Fanboy /s CAGiversary!   1070 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

markbrochilll

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

That would be me sir

I'm extremely happy that people like it much more than I expected. I originally made them for myself and took some pics and posted it on /r/Vita on Reddit and I got a bit of a response. Some people PM'd me begging me to make them a pair. I bought some supplies and threw them up on eBay and stumbled upon your review.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

#6 jughead   Beersport Champion! CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:49 AM

That would be me sir

I'm extremely happy that people like it much more than I expected. I originally made them for myself and took some pics and posted it on /r/Vita on Reddit and I got a bit of a response. Some people PM'd me begging me to make them a pair. I bought some supplies and threw them up on eBay and stumbled upon your review.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Hey! Thanks a lot. Great mod! I'm surprised there hasn't been a stronger response on here. It really is a game changer. I'll leave you feedback shortly. If I were you, I'd pitch this to one of the peripheral marketers; it's far better than anything they have to offer. On amazon; with a little brand recognition; you'd probably do well for yourself.

#7 markbrochilll   Typical Nintendo Fanboy /s CAGiversary!   1070 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

markbrochilll

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

If I were you, I'd pitch this to one of the peripheral marketers; it's far better than anything they have to offer. On amazon; with a little brand recognition; you'd probably do well for yourself.

Those aren't bad ideas. I'll probably look into it.

#8 kcollins1304   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   79 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

kcollins1304

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Just bought a pair for myself, thanks for making them

#9 CrimsonPaw   Professional Cheapass CAGiversary!   2104 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

CrimsonPaw

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

I just ordered a pair as well.  I can see this being great for when I'm doing remote play - thanks for making these!

#10 markbrochilll   Typical Nintendo Fanboy /s CAGiversary!   1070 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

markbrochilll

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

I just ordered a pair as well.  I can see this being great for when I'm doing remote play - thanks for making these!

No problem, I hope you like them. Thanks

#11 jughead   Beersport Champion! CAGiversary!   3311 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

Btw, it probably won't be long until someone blows this thread up for not being in the trading forum. Maybe you can list them in there, or the auction sub forum. You need some more exposure anyways. You'll get more there than you will in here.

#12 markbrochilll   Typical Nintendo Fanboy /s CAGiversary!   1070 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

markbrochilll

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

Btw, it probably won't be long until someone blows this thread up for not being in the trading forum. Maybe you can list them in there, or the auction sub forum. You need some more exposure anyways. You'll get more there than you will in here.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not that familiar with existing forums here and I know I should expose these more.

#13 gthirst   Esper CAGiversary!   1240 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:08 AM

I just got an Xbox One and after using it I basically decided to mod all my controllers to have the analogs.  Although I feel overall the DS4 is a better controller, the Xbox One thumbsticks are far superior.  Nice thing they fit right in.

This is perfect though for the Vita!  I don't even own one (yet) but I know I'll be buying a pair.  Do you plan on making these for a while?

#14 YellowSnowPal   Crazy! CAGiversary!   905 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

YellowSnowPal

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

No more?

#15 markbrochilll   Typical Nintendo Fanboy /s CAGiversary!   1070 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

markbrochilll

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:54 PM

No more?

I just got more! link

#16 markbrochilll   Typical Nintendo Fanboy /s CAGiversary!   1070 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

markbrochilll

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:56 PM

I just got an Xbox One and after using it I basically decided to mod all my controllers to have the analogs.  Although I feel overall the DS4 is a better controller, the Xbox One thumbsticks are far superior.  Nice thing they fit right in.

This is perfect though for the Vita!  I don't even own one (yet) but I know I'll be buying a pair.  Do you plan on making these for a while?

As long as they keep selling, ill keep making them. I put Xbox thumbsticks in my Wii U gamepad. They also fit perfectly. 

#17 tukai   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1179 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

Do you sell them on amazon as well? I have a ton of amazon credit from bing rewards I would be happy to spend on these. That way I can stay under the radar with my wife. I have spent about $900 in the last month on transformers. I am on time out.

#18 markbrochilll   Typical Nintendo Fanboy /s CAGiversary!   1070 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

markbrochilll

Posted 23 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

Do you sell them on amazon as well? I have a ton of amazon credit from bing rewards I would be happy to spend on these. That way I can stay under the radar with my wife. I have spent about $900 in the last month on transformers. I am on time out.

Sorry I don't sell on Amazon. I don't have time to set it up and Ebay is far more convenient for me.

#19 tmly   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   677 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:31 PM

Just placed an order after playing Uncharted for the first time and couldn't hit the side of a barn. I'm really hoping these help.

#20 Domuki   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   30 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:35 PM

These sound perfect for me too. Ill definitely order some once my ebay cash comes next month. Cheers and thanks 

#21 gthirst   Esper CAGiversary!   1240 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:09 PM

My wife gave me a Vita for Christmas so I finally attached the thumb attachments I bought months ago.  Pretty awesome on the Vita Slim and it fits well in the case I received.  Definitely a better feel to the sticks.

#22 DeathMoJo   The Navy Guy CAGiversary!   1456 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 07:18 AM

Just stumbled across this thread and placed an order. Wouldn't mind more control in Borderlands 2 and Freedom Wars.

#23 gthirst   Esper CAGiversary!   1240 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:53 PM

I actually have a question.  Does the original vita have more space between the thumbsticks and the down on dpad and x buttons?  On the slim with the attachments you have to kind of move your thumb around the sticks and be careful not to move them/they get in the way.  It's not anything major and it's unavoidable, I'm just wondering.

#24 chimpmeister   Hates gimmicks CAGiversary!   4012 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

chimpmeister

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

I actually have a question.  Does the original vita have more space between the thumbsticks and the down on dpad and x buttons?  On the slim with the attachments you have to kind of move your thumb around the sticks and be careful not to move them/they get in the way.  It's not anything major and it's unavoidable, I'm just wondering.

The distance between the thumbsticks and d-pad/buttons should be identical, look at this comparison pic of the two models:

q8TTv9i.jpg

I just ordered a pair of these thumbstick covers today, looking forward to trying them out!  Thanks Mark for making them available!

#25 halusha   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   76 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:12 AM

Just ordered a pair.  Looking forward to using them!

#26 DeathMoJo   The Navy Guy CAGiversary!   1456 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:50 AM

I like them a lot. Hitting the X button takes some getting used too but i feel i can adapt.

#27 tukai   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1179 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

I just bought a pair a moment ago. 

#28 chimpmeister   Hates gimmicks CAGiversary!   4012 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

chimpmeister

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

I like them a lot. Hitting the X button takes some getting used too but i feel i can adapt.

I agree, got mine yesterday (the day Duke Nukem came out on Vita, great way to test them!), and I really like them.  It is a little harder to get to the X button due to the size of the thumbstick caps, but as you said, it's fairly easy to adjust.  I just nudge the stick a little out of the way when hitting the X button.  These offer a much better grip for the Vita thumbsticks, something I think Sony should have thought about when they originally designed them.

#29 tukai   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1179 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:02 PM

I installed mine a few days ago and really like them. Concaved thumbsticks are a lot more comfortable and do not make the bottom middle of my thumb sore like the convexed stock thumbsticks were

#30 markbrochilll   Typical Nintendo Fanboy /s CAGiversary!   1070 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

markbrochilll

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:07 AM

Messing around with some R2/L2 triggers for the OLED Vita. Lets hope I can come up with something that works.