1TB WD External Storage Drive $49.99 @Best Buy - Use with XB1

Hell,
I've had my XBox One for 5 days now and it's already at 55% full, and I still have 3 more games to install.
I should probably hold off for a sale on the 2 TB Storage.

Edit- Didn't know about the 3 TB, sounds good. I'll have to look into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tempting, I'll have to think about this one for a bit. Thanks for posting this OP!

Would kind of like a 2-3TB for my Xbox but at this price I'll have to think.

So this is external, not portable, right? I.e. it can't be powered by the USB cable? Are there portable 3.0 drives, and if so, can the Xbox One power them, or would they still require external power? I don't need the space yet, but I already have one fewer outlet than I need (my ps3 and ps4 share power and HDMI, I just switch the connections when I switch consoles). Thanks.

Good deal. I have been watching these on Amazon for several weeks. Easily saving $20 off of Amazons price (minus taxes.)

I am in the market for a 2TB though.

I would definitely hold off for either a 2TB or 3TB drive. A 500GB drive with very few games (online or physical) and most hard drives seem to be near 40-50% with firmware updates, mandatory game installs, patches, etc.... Additionally, never and I say NEVER have an external Hard Drive have its only source of power running from the USB on your system. Not only have I seen it slow down data access, but it makes your system hotter and I has to perform harder. Also, if you are in the middle of a data save/install and the system loses USB connectivity/power, you could corrupt the entire hard drive. I always get external drives that have their own dedicated power supply as it is smarter all around. It seems to run faster, will keep your system cooler in the long run and the system performs better and in the event the USB connection drops, the hard drive still has power. JMHO 

Also, I actually had to replace my Xbone with MS support as the (always on) actually started to cause the fan to vibrate when powered down to the point that it is louder than any game system I ever owned. They said they are getting some calls about this hardware failure and to their credit, I got another brand new Day One edition. They gave me two options. The first option was to pay $15 for them to ship me a box and then I put my console in there and ship it back with paid postage to their Texas warehouse. It would take 2-3 weeks to refurb my system. I obviously opted for the second option which was a $500 temporary credit card charge that would ship me a brand new system within 3 business days. I would then ship my old system back with that box with paid postage and the hold was released on my credit card. This is superior support compared to the initial Xbox 360 days.

[attachment=6550:ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405262832.156325.jpg]

Just to confirm with you guys, this is the one I saw. Is this good compatible with my Xbox One?

So this is external, not portable, right? I.e. it can't be powered by the USB cable? Are there portable 3.0 drives, and if so, can the Xbox One power them, or would they still require external power? I don't need the space yet, but I already have one fewer outlet than I need (my ps3 and ps4 share power and HDMI, I just switch the connections when I switch consoles). Thanks.
This is a 2.5" external, meaning it can be powered by the xbox itself.

Just got a 3TB WD for $85 shipped the other day, and a few months ago I got 1TB for 30 something with coupon at staples.  So this is average at best 

For others looking for a 3TB, BBY has a few more for around $100. I'm going to pick one up myself and remove the drive from the housing to use on my PC.

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=6914041&pid=1218813788932&pcatId=abcat0504001

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=5597959&pid=1218671137972&pcatId=abcat0504001

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=6059698&pid=1218715159819&pcatId=abcat0504001

I've used the USB powered drives in the past for other gaming related things and they are noticably slower than a powered drive.

I have an older 2.0 500GB USB powered drive will that work for a WiiU/XB1? I know its not a lot of extra space for the XB1 but I am thing it will be more than enough if I end up using it for the WiiU.

I would suggest getting a hard drive with a seperate power supply. Having the Xbox One power it will run the Xbox hot. Gonna wear on the Xbox eventually.

I would suggest getting a hard drive with a seperate power supply. Having the Xbox One power it will run the Xbox hot. Gonna wear on the Xbox eventually.
Has this been proven? I would have thought the Xbox One would be fine since it has that big fat external power brick instead of an internal power supply like the PS4.

I would definitely hold off for either a 2TB or 3TB drive. A 500GB drive with very few games (online or physical) and most hard drives seem to be near 40-50% with firmware updates, mandatory game installs, patches, etc.... Additionally, never and I say NEVER have an external Hard Drive have its only source of power running from the USB on your system. Not only have I seen it slow down data access, but it makes your system hotter and I has to perform harder. Also, if you are in the middle of a data save/install and the system loses USB connectivity/power, you could corrupt the entire hard drive. I always get external drives that have their own dedicated power supply as it is smarter all around. It seems to run faster, will keep your system cooler in the long run and the system performs better and in the event the USB connection drops, the hard drive still has power. JMHO
I'm new to this whole external memory thing. Can you or anyone else recommend something along these lines that's reliable and affordable? Thanks.

This is what I'm currently using for my Deluxe Wii U:

http://www.amazon.com/Clickfree-Automatic-Portable-External-225-1003-100/dp/B001JIBOLQ

Uses a "Y" adapter through two of the Wii U's USB ports for power. Everything I currently have installed on this HDD runs smoothly. I never notice any slowdowns or what have you but, I also wasn't aware that this could potentially heat up and wear down your system in the long run?

1TB seems like overkill in my case. Hell, even with my 250GB, of the 232GB's that usable only around 40GB's has been used so far since buying my Wii U in September, with the digital version Resident Evil Revelations U taking up a good chunk at 12GB.

Not only that but the fact that Nintendo doesn't constantly pump out demos and downloadable HD trailers and videos like PSN does probably would make something like 1TB worthwhile to me.

My 160GB PS3 on the other hand is filling up pretty quick thanks to all these downloadable trailers and demos! o_O. Would this work with that?

It is almost like the same premise as some of these cheap external laptop fans that are powered by your USB. You are making your system work harder to try to run additional things outside of the machine's original setup. Even though technology has improved, you are still relying on your main system/console's USB to not only use it for data, but to maintain power on your external HD. If you are in the middle of running games from your external HD and the USB drops connectivity abruptly, you could potentially corrupt that game and the HD itself. Now maybe there are people that can argue otherwise as it may have happened to them with no issues, but the fact is that your system has to do everything. I have lost external USB devices with my PC and had corrupted data so I would not think that the external HD powered by the machine would be any different. For me, having my system on standby with low power consumption, was enough to create a hardware failure in under a year even though this is what the Xbox One was built to do. I would not want my external HD to be completely reliant on the system to power it for obvious reasons. I will always say it is wiser to have your external HD with its own power supply. The HD price between the USB powered and the power supply versions are negligible depending on the sale at that moment in time.

Gatordeve said it best as he got a 4TB external HD that has its own power supply and is USB 3.0 for $105 at Best Buy. I don't see that specific sale right now, but I would go with the Seagate brand that has what you are looking for and they go up to 5TB. Amazon and Best Buy have the 3TB version (separate power supply) currently for $105, but you could wait and get the 4TB and 5TB at sale prices if you wait as it could net you an additional TB of space for basically the same price or a little bit more. JMHO

Seagate Expansion 1-5TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0

Just a heads up for anyone that has a BB credit card. you could essentially get a 3T for about $85 if you can find a movers/Birthday coupon for 10% off and the 10% back in rewards points. thats my plan here in a few min. 

No, this IS powered by USB. It has only the one cable that will work on USB 2.0 High Speed and up (if you're using first gen USB 2.0 or first gen USB period aka 1.1, you may have trouble powering it).

Ill never need one to add more space since im sticking with discs,  they just have more actual value.  But i wouldnt mind having one to transfer stuff i dont wanna redownload on my 2nd x1.

thx for heads up on this.  just picked one up.  i dont have an x1 but have been looking for a good deal on 1TB drive.   i almost bought this exact drive for 60ish a few weeks back...procrastination for the win.

Ill never need one to add more space since im sticking with discs, they just have more actual value. But i wouldnt mind having one to transfer stuff i dont wanna redownload on my 2nd x1.
?? i dont understand this. even if you have the disc each game still needs installed with the same file size as the DL. unless your are completeting them in a few weeks and trading them in. you will eventually need more space.yya hit 6-10 games and you are full. JS

Was this a one day deal?  Its up to $69 now figured it was posted yesterday so it would go through the week.

Obviously I was wrong.

I tried to price match this at Target earlier today... price went back up to $69.99 as I was driving to the store. fucking lord :/
They were literally taking the price tags off the hangers while I was standing there. Thankfully, the lady was kind enough to honor the $49.99 price tag.

Ill never need one to add more space since im sticking with discs, they just have more actual value. But i wouldnt mind having one to transfer stuff i dont wanna redownload on my 2nd x1.
?? i dont understand this. even if you have the disc each game still needs installed with the same file size as the DL. unless your are completeting them in a few weeks and trading them in. you will eventually need more space.yya hit 6-10 games and you are full. JS
I have 9 games installed and I'm have 30% left. I still have 2 more games coming in the mail. I too also have disc for every game. I don't want to delete them because the games take forever to install.

bread's done
Back