- - - - -

Vinatge stereos and vinyl?

#121 mer71   Gaming since 1981 CAGiversary!   4585 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:44 AM

Thumbs up on the Nova l0s.

mer71.jpg

#122 bordjon   tastes good on the bun. CAGiversary!   1147 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

Oooo an x50 series Pioneer - nice! I still want to find one (preferably a 1050 or 1250 ;) ) Nice finds on the records for 99c - can't beat that!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#123 bordjon   tastes good on the bun. CAGiversary!   1147 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:01 PM

Just got this album delivered yesterday from Amazon. One of mine and my wife's favorite bands. We have everything they've put out on CD but this is our first vinyl (I *think* they may have one other album on vinyl but not sure and if so would be tough to find probably not many made) The lady running their merch table when we saw them a few months ago said the record was a bad pressing (skip on one song) and they had to send them back. I'm not sure if this is a new pressing or from the bad batch. I wouldn't be surprised if they never re-pressed it and this is just old stock. I'm ok with a skip - just wanted to have their music on vinyl.

IMG_1564.JPG

Here is a haul I got off CL a couple weeks ago. 50 for 114 records plus the crate. Variety of stuff in there. Some jazz, blues, rock and metal. I told myself I wasn't going to be buying big lots like this but I couldn't help it!

crateofrecords.jpg

Posted ImagePosted Image

#124 CrazyDiamond84  

CrazyDiamond84

Posted 14 October 2015 - 05:39 PM

So I got my NOVA 10s..now..anything in particular I should look for as far as speaker wire?? Or are just using any standard speaker wires going to be legit. I'm no audiophile, so I may not notice a whole lot of difference between good and great.
PippInMR2.png

#125 mer71   Gaming since 1981 CAGiversary!   4585 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:34 PM

So I got my NOVA 10s..now..anything in particular I should look for as far as speaker wire?? Or are just using any standard speaker wires going to be legit. I'm no audiophile, so I may not notice a whole lot of difference between good and great.

A medium gage should be fine.  Try Dynex at Best Buy!

mer71.jpg

#126 bordjon   tastes good on the bun. CAGiversary!   1147 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:38 PM

I'd look for 12 or 14 or 16 AWG gauge wire. 12 will be thick - possibly too thick depending on your connectors on your receiver and speakers. I've used all sorts of lower end stuff. Monoprice brand cable is fine. I've got Monster cable from the thrift store. I even have my center channel in my ht setup connected with lamp cord. (google and you'll see lots of folks who like to use it for speaker cable.) Home depot and Lowes typically carry speaker cable by the foot (as well as lamp cord.) Typically thicker gauge is better but it also depends on if the thicker gauge will physically fit your connectors. I've got banana plugs all around on my ht setup but my Marantz for example is just bare wire in the spring clips. I've even got some 22awg on my comp speaker set up (tripath TPA3116 amp and Paradigm titans) and it's fine. If you already have some speaker wire laying around go with that first and see how it sounds.

If you need to buy some and need 50+ ft. this stuff here at Amazon seems like a decent price - just pick your length and gauge.

http://smile.amazon....diabridge 14AWG

Posted ImagePosted Image

#127 CrazyDiamond84  

CrazyDiamond84

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:33 PM

I'd look for 12 or 14 or 16 AWG gauge wire. 12 will be thick - possibly too thick depending on your connectors on your receiver and speakers. I've used all sorts of lower end stuff. Monoprice brand cable is fine. I've got Monster cable from the thrift store. I even have my center channel in my ht setup connected with lamp cord. (google and you'll see lots of folks who like to use it for speaker cable.) Home depot and Lowes typically carry speaker cable by the foot (as well as lamp cord.) Typically thicker gauge is better but it also depends on if the thicker gauge will physically fit your connectors. I've got banana plugs all around on my ht setup but my Marantz for example is just bare wire in the spring clips. I've even got some 22awg on my comp speaker set up (tripath TPA3116 amp and Paradigm titans) and it's fine. If you already have some speaker wire laying around go with that first and see how it sounds.

If you need to buy some and need 50+ ft. this stuff here at Amazon seems like a decent price - just pick your length and gauge.

http://smile.amazon....diabridge 14AWG

Thanks..ordered the 14 you just linked to. Just got amazon prime a few days ago, and might as well make use of the free 2 day shipping lol.
PippInMR2.png

#128 CrazyDiamond84  

CrazyDiamond84

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:51 PM

I may go look at a few TTs tomorrow. The ones that stood out for me based on google/audiokarma are:
Pioneer PL-7
Pioneer PL-12d
Technics SL-230
Toshiba SR-A270
Realistic Lab 260

Ignore the price tags of $80-120, but does anyone have any first hand experience or knowledge with any of these. All apparently fixed up and in good working order.
PippInMR2.png

#129 bordjon   tastes good on the bun. CAGiversary!   1147 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:34 AM

I'm not familiar with any of them. Just some quick googling and they all look decent (maybe I would eliminate the pl-7). Some nice looking wooden plinths in the bunch from what I saw! I still wish my Sanyo had a stained wooden plinth as opposed to it's gray laminate over wood... If you want the arm to return at the end of the record (as opposed to just circling in the run-out groove until you get up to change it) look for auto-return. I like that feature myself. Lotsa tables have it. A heavy table is good. Helps with dampening. I think I remember you saying this is going in a basement - on a slab I'm guessing? - so you should be fine either way. Mine is on main level over a basement and anytime you walk around in the room it could possibly jump. (it has anti-skate and I've got the correct VTF for the cartridge but it still does it sometimes. I'm considering mounting a shelf to the wall and putting it on that removing it from the floor all together.)

Posted ImagePosted Image

#130 mer71   Gaming since 1981 CAGiversary!   4585 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 October 2015 - 12:42 AM

That Lab 260 would be a nice choice!!

mer71.jpg

#131 CrazyDiamond84  

CrazyDiamond84

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:15 PM

Went with the Realistic to match the speakers for 80. Hopefully I can get everything all set up later tonight. The only thing I'll be on the lookout for is a cd/cassete combo deck..won't look for anything fancy there.
PippInMR2.png

#132 mer71   Gaming since 1981 CAGiversary!   4585 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:44 AM

Went with the Realistic to match the speakers for 80. Hopefully I can get everything all set up later tonight. The only thing I'll be on the lookout for is a cd/cassete combo deck..won't look for anything fancy there.

I am using a PS2 slim for my cd player.

mer71.jpg

#133 CrazyDiamond84  

CrazyDiamond84

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:35 AM

Thank you guys for all the help. But one more thing. I assume I'm going to have to get some of these guys in order to hook up the NOVA 10s:

095-673_HR_0.jpg
PippInMR2.png

#134 mer71   Gaming since 1981 CAGiversary!   4585 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:16 PM

Thank you guys for all the help. But one more thing. I assume I'm going to have to get some of these guys in order to hook up the NOVA 10s:

attachicon.gif095-673_HR_0.jpg

You can just wrap the bare wire on the terminals.

mer71.jpg

#135 CrazyDiamond84  

CrazyDiamond84

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:18 PM

You can just wrap the bare wire on the terminals.

I'll try later tonight, but that 14 Guage wire is pretty thick to wrap around those little screws.
PippInMR2.png

#136 bordjon   tastes good on the bun. CAGiversary!   1147 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:57 AM

I'm not familiar with the Nova 10 connectors but if they are screws maybe they are long enough to come out a good bit for the 14awg wire. Tightly twist the ends of the wire and make a little U or hook shape and fit it around the screws and tighten them down. If they don't fit though the spades you posted would work fine. Radio shack may be a cheap local option for them. Lowes/Home Depot probably have them too. While I have some bare wire speaker cables hooked up - I do prefer cables terminated with banana plugs or spades or some way - it's just cleaner, neater and easier. Especially if you find yourself fiddling with new equipment now and again ;) Regarding cd player - similar to mer71 I'm using a Playstation - but at Playstation 1 SCPH-1001 model. Supposedly "audiophile" quality as said by some. I wouldn't know but I know there are a ton of articles and forum posts about that model and they are cheap. Apparently it has a nice DAC in it. I will say it sounds very noticeably better than a DVD player and a blu-ray player that I tried on the same system. So if you happen to have one of those laying around - dust it off!

I was out of town this weekend but did manage to hit one yard sale before I left ad my wife hit a few when we got to our destination. Nothing too exciting though. 10-12 records. Two different Willie and Family live albums - at two different yard sales in two different cities. A Johnny Cash compilation lp. Flat and Scruggs lp. Just odds and ends but mostly old country was the theme.

My neighbor just expressed interest in getting a tt. They have some old records they want to listen to apparently. She got a Crosley or somesuch a few years ago and isn't happy with the sound. So I've got a new project! I told her about an old Garrard I have that I haven't even tinkered with much. And an 80s Mitsubishi integrated amp I have. I may set that up for them and see if they want to use it until I can maybe find something better.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#137 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12506 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:03 AM

I used the original playstation for a CD player for years. It is the model with the regular RCA hookups. I remember when I booked the Flaming Lips for their "Soft Bulletin tour" they were using a blue (I assume a developer unit) Ps1 for all of their media.

#138 CrazyDiamond84  

CrazyDiamond84

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:09 AM

Got everything running. Will probably pick up some of those spade connectors next time I'm at the store, as my connections look a little janky. Everything looks and sounds great though! I tested it out with some Johnny Cash @ Folsom Prison, and some Radiohead the Bends! Now once my ps4 comes next month, I'll be all set :)
PippInMR2.png

#139 mer71   Gaming since 1981 CAGiversary!   4585 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

Got everything running. Will probably pick up some of those spade connectors next time I'm at the store, as my connections look a little janky. Everything looks and sounds great though! I tested it out with some Johnny Cash @ Folsom Prison, and some Radiohead the Bends! Now once my ps4 comes next month, I'll be all set :)

Awesome.  Those Nova 10's are nice for a starter setup!!

mer71.jpg

#140 mer71   Gaming since 1981 CAGiversary!   4585 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:15 PM

I snagged this off of Craigslist for free today.  Realistic STA-84 receiver, Realistic Nova 15's and Technics SL-23 TT.

20151019_125749_zpsrowlaskb.jpg

mer71.jpg

#141 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   2088 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:35 AM

Been picking up random vinyl for a year or so, don't even have a turntable yet.  Earlier this year I ran across a lady trying to sell her 70's RCA floor model radio/turntable at a yard sale for $50.  The thing looks new though I didn't have the chance to listen to it.  I didn't have the room for it at the time so I took down her number. 

Six months later I'm about to close on a house with enough room, I might give her a call to see if it's still available. 

Since everyone in here has plenty of experience with these, is there any reason I should pass on it?  Any I should look for instead?  It has a turn table, receiver, and I believe an 8 track.

Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

#142 bordjon   tastes good on the bun. CAGiversary!   1147 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:22 PM

Invicta 61 - is this RCA thing like a console piece? Like a piece of furniture with all that stuff built in? If so I'd probably not suggest it really. They typically didn't have as good of components as separate pieces. Turntables often took lesser quality cartridges/styluses. I'd suggest going the way of separates - something like what Mer71 just posted or what CrazyDiamond84 has been building that we've been discussing in the past couple of pages. It'll be a little more effort and maybe a little more money to put together but it will sound much better and be more versatile for future upgrades.

Having said that - consoles can be cool!! I recently picked up a tiny little spindle leg console that I've gutted and turned in to record storage. I have pulled out the turntable and will be turning it in to a little record cleaning station here probably this weekend.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#143 CrazyDiamond84  

CrazyDiamond84

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

Apparently target.com sells vinyl, and they are buy one get one 50% off this week. Prices aren't too bad for newer vinyl, and if you have a red card that's free shipping and 5% as well. I've spent a lot lately on equipment and records so I'll probably pass, but check it out if you're on the lookout for a good deal. Obviously any classic rock stuff aren't worth paying the price as you can find those cheaper elsewhere.
PippInMR2.png

#144 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12506 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:51 PM

Half price books has new vinyl too. The coupons work on them. If you are into indie music, you probably will do better buying at a merch booth at their shows. As usual garage sales, thrifts, CL, and pawns are usually the best route for used stuff. I rarely post my records on the yard sale thread-way too difficult to photograph, but I probably buy 100 or so every year.

#145 CrazyDiamond84  

CrazyDiamond84

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:45 PM

My half price books doesn't have much of a selection of new vinyl. I did get the new Blur album there with the last 50% coupon though. I've got enough record stores around here in Milwaukee to find whatever I'm looking for. Barnes and Noble and Urban Outfitters has a lot too but Id rather support the record stores. I'd bite on more target deals though in the future.
PippInMR2.png

#146 bordjon   tastes good on the bun. CAGiversary!   1147 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:23 AM

No half price books here.

I've seen Target do vinyl deals before. I think it was 6 or so months ago they did a b2g1 free deal that Amazon matched and then Amazon's deal somehow glitched or got changed to b1g1 free. I ended up with 7 records from that deal. Probably should have gotten more. If it pops up again I'll be sure to post it here. You can also check the /vinyl on reddit - they usually post deals there pretty quickly. Also vinylcollective forums is pretty quick to find deals. They also have an ongoing cheap Amazon vinyl thread. Most everything less than 10 bucks some less than 5.

Trip to the thrift store this evening produced three lps. A variety for sure. Amazon prime had that Zapp II so we had a quick dance party in the den when we got home! That lp will have to be played in the basement as my tt upstairs can't handle that kinda dancing! (my two girls - 5 and 2 - were being shy about dancing for some reason but me and my wife had no problem celebrating the fact that we were still alive with a little dancing after a wild near miss from a Chevy Avalanche that didn't see we were stopped on the interstate due to road work and swerved off the shoulder around us, then in front of us coming to a stop beyond perpendicular to us. It's a wonder it didn't flip.)

IMG_1574.JPG

Posted ImagePosted Image

#147 Invicta 61   Gabagool, Provalone and vinegar peppers CAGiversary!   2088 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:23 AM

Invicta 61 - is this RCA thing like a console piece? Like a piece of furniture with all that stuff built in? If so I'd probably not suggest it really. They typically didn't have as good of components as separate pieces. Turntables often took lesser quality cartridges/styluses. I'd suggest going the way of separates - something like what Mer71 just posted or what CrazyDiamond84 has been building that we've been discussing in the past couple of pages. It'll be a little more effort and maybe a little more money to put together but it will sound much better and be more versatile for future upgrades.

Having said that - consoles can be cool!! I recently picked up a tiny little spindle leg console that I've gutted and turned in to record storage. I have pulled out the turntable and will be turning it in to a little record cleaning station here probably this weekend.

Yeah, it's a console.  I figure there's also more of a chance of component failure that would be expensive or difficult to repair.  I like the old wood cabinets though.

Missed out on an opportunity to increase my vinyl collection X10 a few weeks ago.  There was an estate sale of a former musician, there were two totes packed full of 100+ albums all in great shape.  All were 60's thru 80's, all genres.  He was selling them for $2 each so I grabbed a couple.  He said to come back when they close at 5:00 and he would sell me all that's left for $50.  I show up at 5:00 and the sale had already been packed away. 

The ones I had grabbed was Van Halen - 1984, Woodstock - Two, WAR - Greatest Hits (unfortunately I wrinkled a corner in transit), Billy Joel - Innocent Man, Foreigner - Head Games

Bah weep granah weep nini bong.

#148 bordjon   tastes good on the bun. CAGiversary!   1147 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:31 AM

Amazon b1g1 50% off sale - not mind blowing or anything but it's a sale.

http://www.amazon.co...14597a375edc728

Posted ImagePosted Image

#149 bordjon   tastes good on the bun. CAGiversary!   1147 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 24 October 2015 - 05:43 PM

Went to the crazy record sale this weekend. Everything is half off. After drooling over all the insanely awesome MFSL records I picked up these few items. So much cool stuff there. 50+ Joy Division recordings. Probably that much R.E.M. I've never seen that many YES recordings in one place before. I'm excited about the King Crimson I picked up - great condition and price for them.

IMG_1581.JPG

Posted ImagePosted Image

#150 CrazyDiamond84  

CrazyDiamond84

Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:01 PM

Went to the crazy record sale this weekend. Everything is half off. After drooling over all the insanely awesome MFSL records I picked up these few items. So much cool stuff there. 50+ Joy Division recordings. Probably that much R.E.M. I've never seen that many YES recordings in one place before. I'm excited about the King Crimson I picked up - great condition and price for

Liked for King Crimson. I need to get a vinyl copy of in the court of the Crimson king
PippInMR2.png